Wearing shoes inside your home: hot or not?

enix_fan said:
i think it's an asian thing. Yup it applies to Hmong's too. but lately they stopped ... :?
I thought so, too, but it looks like people in Northern Europe are also like that; either by culture or by choice. As for the recent change in the Hmong community, has it happened to all Hmongs or only amongst certain Hmong-Americans ?

Another thing: the Chinese in Shanghai, Beijing, and Taipei do not take their shoes off in the house, and they clean the floor quite often because of it. So even in Asia not all people have the same practice.

btw: Your avatar is great. It always wakes me up to a greater level of awareness. It almost makes me laugh with its huge eye, but it's not funny. It should be called the "god(dess) of wakefulness." What character is it from what anime ? It appears to say Sin(d)bad.

If you went to a bowling alley in Japan and rented shoes, do they let you wear them inside?

:D :D :D :D

i think in the UK it depends on the house-hold.
in my own home i take off my shoes for comfort (after returning from work for example). but that is when i am inside and not in the hall.
if footware is heavily soiled then yeah, of course you remove them...no one wants crap all over their floor.
i think this also raises the issue of stinky feet. i've said to people that have visited me...kick off your shoes and relax...and they reply...nah, my feet stink! so they keep them on. i don't really care either way, unless they have trodden in dogsh!t!!!
i had a friend who always walked around the house in his socks...most of the family did. i tend to wear slippers...they are god-awfully ugly and clumpy...but they are comfy and keep my tootsies warm!!! but sometimes i have to kick 'em off because my feet begin to boil!

Leroy_Brown said:
If you went to a bowling alley in Japan and rented shoes, do they let you wear them inside?

:D :D :D :D
from my understanding...removing of the shoes is something done when entering private residence...so unless it was a bowling alley in the back room of someone's house then i think you could keep them on!

smoke said:
i think this also raises the issue of stinky feet. i've said to people that have visited me...kick off your shoes and relax...and they reply...nah, my feet stink! so they keep them on......
slippers...they are god-awfully ugly and clumpy...but they are comfy and keep my tootsies warm!!! but sometimes i have to kick 'em off because my feet begin to boil!
That's the whole point. To aerate the stinky toes. Actually the foot-stink has an enticing aroma to it, depending on the person, at least mine are. j/k
I think of not having shoes/slippers or even socks if I can afford not to; these are the highest form of comfortable feet. Shoes/slipper on my feet are a huge nuisance if you ask me. Even driving is better barefoot. Nothing beats the skin touching the elements......ah, once we were born freee :)

There are accupuncture points along the soles of the feet, which get stimulated when one walks bare footed.

smoke said:
from my understanding...removing of the shoes is something done when entering private residence...so unless it was a bowling alley in the back room of someone's house then i think you could keep them on!

Sorry, that was a failed attempt at humor on my part.

I thought you were playing on the word Asia, weren't you ?
Because a bowling alley in Japan would be in Asia by logic.
It was a little obscure without the reference, though. :blush:

Why wear shoes indoors? The whole point of shoes is to protect your feet when you are outside, not inside.

Well I don't think the French take their shoes off when they enter a house or apartment nor do other western Europeans...

...at least none of the ones I have encountered.

I notice something the Russians take their shoes off when they go inside their house like us East Asian people.

I have live away from home for couple of years now and I no longer have the habit of taking my shoes off when I enter a house or an apartment.

So when I was asked to take my shoes off by a European, for me it came as a surprise.

Last edited:
Shoes pick up a lot of filth on the street. Why carry all that into the house and spread it?

Take them off!

I say wipe them on the door mat and then take them off. At least wipe them thoroughly. The lego situation is a tricky one though, these things really hurt... :)

I've always thought that taking off your shoes before entering any home was a good idea. Heavens, who knows what you pick up walking around these days.

He was not allowed to take his shoes off because he was doing repair work. If he stepped on a nail or something injured his foot some other way, his employer's insurance or his insurance wouldn't cover him if he was not wearing shoes to protect his feet. He was supposed to take reasonable precautions to protect his feet. It's the same as being required to wear a hard hat, a protective hat, on construction jobs.

I live in the U.S. While I rarely wear shoes inside my home, it is not an American tradition to remove shoes at home or when visiting or anywhere, actually.

No one has mentioned that shoes are part of clothing styles, and people pay a lot of money to match their shoes to their other clothes. There is not much point in having beautiful shoes if you are going to leave them at the door.

If shoes are not worn inside the house, then the slippers or socks that people wear should have some styling so that they compliment the clothes that are being worn.

In Asia, most of the shoes (except in Japan?) that are worn out of doors are basically flip-flops that are of no beauty at all - although some can be slightly stylish - and they go barefoot indoors.

If you are wearing boots in the snowy Scandinavian or Northern European weather outdoors, and slippers or socks indoors, do you need stylish shoes at all? I can see the joy of not wearing shoes and it keeps the house cleaner - but I wonder why no one has expressed any interest in the wide, wonderful world of women's shoes?

What do Northern Europeans, Japanese, and Korean people wear on their feet to keep them warm in the house in the winter?

Then there is the problem of the shoes you have that match your clothing. Say you have a beautiful pair of high heels that match a suit, and a beautiful pair of sandals that match a summer dress, and good suede boots that match a mini-skirt, and so on . . . . maybe ten pairs of shoes . . . . do you leave all these shoes by the door and put them on at the last minute when you are leaving the house, or do you leave them in your bedroom closet with your clothing, and carry them to the door and put them on when you leave, and take them off when you return home and carry them back to your bedroom closet again? Just very curious.

What do Northern Europeans, Japanese, and Korean people wear on their feet to keep them warm in the house in the winter?

As a northern European, I grew up with floor heating, which is nice when you walk around the house barefoot. Anyway, as there is central heating in practically every single house or apartment, cold is never an issue. Japan is very different, as central heating is rare and I have never seen or heard of floor heating there. The only 'frostbites' I ever got in my life (very light ones on my toes) were in a Japanese house. Mind you, it was in subtropical Tokyo where temperatures never fall much under freezing point in winter, which is all the more ironic.

This thread has been viewed 31551 times.

Back