What do you think of the custom of tipping?

How do you feel about the custom of tipping?

• I Don't Believe in it

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I Do Believe in it

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Tipping should be Optional

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No opinions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello :wave:

We don't have 'tipping' here in Australia. A lot of tourists I see/meet tend not to realise this. Actually, the other day I was eating lunch at a cafe with friends and an american couple came in (for whatever they were going to have). They paid, ate, put a tip on the table and then went to leave. They looked so confused as to what they had done wrong when the cafe assistant tried to stop them from leaving (to give them back the money left on the table). Food/whatever is paid for before you even sit down over here...then you get to eat :ramen: .....and tips just don't exist.

I'm so tired of tipping! I rarely do it because I actually got good service, but just because I feel obligated. The other day I was at the bar and I asked the bartender for a drink that she told me they didn't have. So then I said I'd just have a beer. She opened the fridge, opened the bottle, put in on the counter, and said, "That'll be $3.50." I put down the $3.50 and she gave me a pissed off look and sarcastically said, "Thanks." So I felt guilty and gave her a tip. But why? She put in less effort to serve me than someone working behind the counter at McDondald's, but you don't tip them. And drink prices in bars are already so high.

I think one should tip when one gets good service, or when u just are havin such a good time that hell, who cares!!!!!

I don't mind leaving a tip for waiting staff if their service has been good. In Australia, it's really left up to the customer as waiting staff are paid a fair wage. In the USA, as I understand it, it is expected that customers leave and additional 20% of their bill as a tip as waiting staff are very, very poorly paid, and rely on tips. I think staff should not have to rely on tips, and that wages should be better. And it's not the case that in the US food in restaurants is so cheap either.

This thread has been viewed 20374 times.

Back