what is the genetic makeup for the swiss ? specifically swiss germans .

saltyshanker

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Swiss German , French Canadian , Irish , Scottish , Belgian
Y-DNA haplogroup
I-M227
mtDNA haplogroup
X2
Are we mostly alpine celtic from the Helvetii that where in these lands and than later romanized becoming gallo roman , later combining with the allemanic germans ?

Are we mostly alpine celtic from the Helvetii that where in these lands and than later romanized becoming gallo roman , later combining with the allemanic germans ?
Which Swiss? There are 4 official languages ​​in Switzerland.

You took the words out of my mouth. The Italian Swiss aren't very different from Lombards. I would imagine the French speaking Swiss are pretty similar to the people of the neighboring French provinces, and the German speaking Swiss to the people of those neighboring provinces.

You've got layers like everywhere else: Neolithic farmers, Indo-Europeans, Celtic speakers, then in some areas German speakers, in others French and Italian speakers.

They probably cluster right where you would expect, which is just north of Italy, south of Germany, east of France.

Novembre et al:
nature07331-f1.2.jpg

Switzerland is a highly heterogeneous country for its size. That is because of the mountains that secluded some populations for centuries or millennia. There are four languages in Switzerland but even German dialects evolved sharp differences sometimes just a few kilometres apart in valleys one either side of a mountain range. There are been very few genetic studies of the Swiss to date, and most of the commercial results are biased toward northern cities like Zürich, Basel or Bern. That is why I suggested to Living DNA to have a separate genetic project dedicated only to Switzerland, so as to unravel the actual genetic differences between each region.

Based on the Y-DNA data available now, the region of Zürich appears to be the most Germanic within Switzerland, but it has at least as much Celtic lineages (e.g. R1b-U152, G2a-L497) than Germanic ones, just like Baden-Württenberg, Luxembourg or Wallonia.

Maybe there is a sharp Y-DNA difference plateau vs mountains as that seen in Great Britain West/Celtic vs East/Anglosaxon, the previous Romanization could be more cultural than demic, so that no much genetic impact is expected. The real case in CH is the migration of the Alamanni in a similar date that that of Alsace (the DNA is different from that of Champagne-Bourgougne?), or the same migration of Saxons towards the island.

would be really interested in this too. does anyone know if someone sequenced a pre roman celtic genome from these regions maybe also central gaul and southern germany?

i don't know if it helps you but maybe i can tell you a bit about what i got from my dna test. i have some questions about my results too so i also hope someone can answer them.
so my mother doesn't know of any foreign ancestors. part of her family came from bern. my fathers father was german. so maybe my results are a bit more "german" than what the average swiss has.

i got it tested by myheritage and this is what i got from them:

52.9% north and western europe (46% north west, 6.9% england)
33.0% southern europe (21.8% greek, 11.2% italian)
10.9% eastern europe (10.9% balkan)
1.8% ashkenazi
1.4% nigeria

so it looks like i have got around 50% from western and northern europe and 50% from the region Italy balkans greece. this doesn't have to be because of recent migrations right? could also come from the neolithic?

i will upload my results to gedmatch too and see what i get there. maybe my results aren't really "swiss-german" and i have a recent southern european ancestor. or maybe also the other way around though i doubt that a little.

hoi, don't know if it helps but i will just post my own dna results. my mother doesn't know of any recent foreign ancestors. her father came from bern. not sure about her mother but she was also swiss german. my fathers father was german so maybe my results are a bit more "german" than the one of an average swiss. his mother was swiss german.
i have to admit i also post them because i have a question about them.

i got it from myheritage:
52.9% north and western europe (46% north-western,6.9% england)
1.8% ashkenazi jew
1.4% nigeria

so it seems like i have about 50% admixture from north western europe and around 50% from the region that includes italy the balkans and greece. i'm a bit confused about it. where is the greek part coming from? my guess is that the southern european(italy, greece, balkans) component is coming form neolithic times. but then again i see north western europeans with 0% of greek, italian or other stuff. which would mean that it is from recent migrations. can someone help me here?

i really would be interested in an ancient pre roman celtic genome that comes from souther,centra france, southern germany or switzerland. if someone could point me the right direction i would be really thankful. that would help a lot to solve these questions.

hoi, don't know if it helps but i will just post my own dna results. my mother doesn't know of any recent foreign ancestors. her father came from bern. not sure about her mother but she was also swiss german. my fathers father was german so maybe my results are a bit more "german" than the one of an average swiss. his mother was swiss german.
i have to admit i also post them because i have a question about them.

i got it from myheritage:
52.9% north and western europe (46% north-western,6.9% england)
1.8% ashkenazi jew
1.4% nigeria

so it seems like i have about 50% admixture from north western europe and around 50% from the region that includes italy the balkans and greece. i'm a bit confused about it. where is the greek part coming from? my guess is that the southern european(italy, greece, balkans) component is coming form neolithic times. but then again i see north western europeans with 0% of greek, italian or other stuff. which would mean that it is from recent migrations. can someone help me here?

i really would be interested in an ancient pre roman celtic genome that comes from souther,centra france, southern germany or switzerland. if someone could point me the right direction i would be really thankful. that would help a lot to solve these questions.

Northern Europeans also have early farmer ancestry, just not as much. Visualize a cline covering all of Europe. The least Anatolian farmer and most WHG and SHG is in the far northeast of Europe because that was a refuge area for the hunters and not a good place for the farmers. The Swiss Germans are in a place in Europe where their ancestry is half that of a genome typically Northern European and half that of a genome typically Southern European. It has nothing to do with recent migrations: it's the result of layers of ancient migrations.

You can see it in this PCA by Novembre, one of the first to be done, and so not as up to date as some, but I chose it because it shows the "Swiss" populations. They're in CH.

b98yg6.jpg

This is from Haak et al, and about two years old, so again not totally up to date, but it's easy to understand for the basics. The Yamnaya are a mix of hunter-gatherers from far eastern Europe and people from the Caucasus area in the Middle East, perhaps 40-50% "Caucasus related" for some of them.

Haak-et-al-2015-Figure-3-Admixture-Proportions-in-Modern-DNA-With-Linguistic-and-Historical-Origins-Added.png

This thread has been viewed 10806 times.

Back