What is your opinion about dacians?Were they south slavs or goths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really doubt that people responding here,including taranis,even checked the sonority of romanian words.
I think some people are just having some pre-fabricated conceptions about romanians,which they refuse to check if are suported by some real evidences or not.
Is no point to try continue the discussion here,is like I am talking to walls.

Well, the sonority of Romanian is kind of irrelevant, French and German have similar sound inventories despite being part of Romance and Germanic families, respectively. Welsh for instance has sounds in it's inventory that generally do not exist in other European (including other Celtic) languages. What is critical is it's vocabulary, and if you take a look, it's clear that Romanian (even the name of language suggests it) is fundamentally derived from Latin. You can easily compare this:

(English) -Latin - Romanian - French - Italian
(gold) - aurum - aur - or - oro
(silver) - argentum - argint - argent - argento
(tin) - stannum - staniu - étain - stagno
(iron) - ferrum - fier - fer - ferro
(brother) - frater - frate - frère - fratello
(cow) - vacca - vacă - vache - vacca

There's really no point in denying that Romanian is a Romance language.

Well, the sonority of Romanian is kind of irrelevant. What is critical is it's vocabulary, and if you take a look, it's clear that Romanian (even the name of language suggests it) is fundamentally derived from Latin. You can easily compare this:

(English) -Latin - Romanian - French - Italian
(gold) - aurum - aur - or - oro
(silver) - argentum - argint - argent - argento
(tin) - stannum - staniu - étain - stagno
(iron) - ferrum - fier - fer - ferro
(brother) - frater - frate - frère - fratello
(cow) - vacca - vacă - vache - vacca

There's really no point in denying that Romanian is a Romance language.

you are wrong on cow - vacca is northen italian ( actually venetian ) while in Italian its Mucca

Linguists have divided Romance into 2 seperate classes based on the linguistic isobar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Spezia–Rimini_Line

check the maps and one of them has the area in which romance does not exist anymore

another east romance word is for Pig, its Maiale in italian and I was told romanian , but its Porsel in northern Italy

How about :
english tendon - romanian tendon
english absurde - romanian absurd
english rock - romanian roca (put it on forvo to listen how it is pronounced)
english accent - romanian accent
english incredibile - romanian incredibil

(the meaning of the words is exactly same).

or how about
german gratis - romanian gratis

And examples could continue.
Sure romanian language have a lot of words taken from latin,but that does not make it a latin language,if you take how you pronounce words, from this point of view romanian is a germanic language.
Or more exactly,a latinised germanic,the way in which you pronounce words was kept,but a lot of loan words from latin were taken.Or who knows,maybe latin borrowed some words from old dacian language also and romanian took the dacians words.

How about :
english tendon - romanian tendon
english absurde - romanian absurd
english rock - romanian roca (put it on forvo to listen how it is pronounced)
english accent - romanian accent
english incredibile - romanian incredibil

(the meaning of the words is exactly same).

or how about
german gratis - romanian gratis

"tendon" is not a native Germanic word. It was borrowed from French into English after the Norman conquests. In fact, the native Germanic word in English is "sinew", which has cognates in other Germanic languages:

German - "Sehne"
Danish, Norwegian - "sene"
Icelandic - "sin"
Swedish - senan"

conversely, "tendon" has cognates in other Romance languages:

French - "tendon"
Italian - "tendine"
Portuguese - "tendão"
Spanish - "tendón"

The common etymology of this Romance word is from Latin "tener" ("soft", "delicate").

"absurd" is also borrowed into English from French ("absurde"). The Latin source is "absurdus" ("unreasonable", "discordant", "harsh").

"rock" is also a French loanword ("roc"). The native Germanic word in English is "fell", which is a cognate with:

German - "Fels"
Old Norse - "fjall"
Danish - "fjeld"
Swedish - "fiäll"

"accent" - also from French, ultimately from Latin "accentus".

"incredible" is also from Latin, specifically "credere" ("to trust", "to believe").

German "gratis" is clearly a borrowing from Latin ("gratia" - "thankfulness").

Not one of these words is Germanic in origin. That should tell you something.

And examples could continue.
Sure romanian language have a lot of words taken from latin,but that does not make it a latin language,if you take how you pronounce words, from this point of view romanian is a germanic language.
Or more exactly,a latinised germanic,the way in which you pronounce words was kept,but a lot of loan words from latin were taken.Or who knows,maybe latin borrowed some words from old dacian language also and romanian took the dacians words.

There is nothing Germanic about Romanian, or about the ancient Dacian language. Every linguist, every historian, and even common knowledge will tell you that you're wrong. Do you think it's a coincidence that the language is named "Romanian"?

you are wrong on cow - vacca is northen italian ( actually venetian ) while in Italian its Mucca

Linguists have divided Romance into 2 seperate classes based on the linguistic isobar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Spezia–Rimini_Line

check the maps and one of them has the area in which romance does not exist anymore

another east romance word is for Pig, its Maiale in italian and I was told romanian , but its Porsel in northern Italy

I wasn't aware that the word "vacca" was a dialect word in Italian (and I thank you for pointing that out). But, this changes nothing about my statement, namely that Italian (just like French, Portuguese, Spanish etc. and Romanian) is a Romance language that is derived from Latin. I think you can agree on that.

The ideea that if a word is same in romanian and in latin is almost same,it should have come in romanian from latin is not supported by arheological findings,since dacians,who were allied with thracians are proved to be a much older civilisation than Roman Empire.
It seems more logic and clear that latin borrowed words from old dacian,and not reveresed,which dacian was derived from thracian,which is one of the proto-indo-european languages.
Since latins could not pronounced diacritcs,they took the words without diacritics.
However,in english there are words who are said to be taken from latin,but could not be found in other so called "romance language".How can you explain this?
I also doubt about the theories that normans brought some french words,how come tendon in english is pronounced more close to romanian,than to tendon in french?

Now coming back to some of those words told above:
How can you explain that absurd is found also in german and danish and is pronounced in these languages as in romanian,but exactly as in romanian?
Same with gratis,is pronounced exactly same in german and romanian and have same meaning.Even more weird is found with same meaning and pronounciation in swedish and norwegian and danish ,but not in romance languages.
http://translate.google.com/#ro|no|gratis
http://translate.google.com/#ro|sv|gratis
http://translate.google.com/#ro|da|gratis
http://translate.google.com/#ro|af|gratis
(afrikaans is an old germanic language).
So let me see,germans,swedes, norwegians,danes and so on and romanians all took gratis from latin,however,the romance speakers did not took it.Even more weird,all are pronouncing the word exactly same.Ha ha.
This is just a pure nonsense.

And to have a little more fun:
potato,is called in romanian cartof.
And here how is called in icelandic and german:
http://translate.google.com/#ro|is|cartof
http://translate.google.com/#ro|de|cartof
(kartöflu in Icelandic and Kartoffel in german;very likely this is taken from latin also,however,there is small problem,when the potato was brought into Europe,Latin empire was not existing anymore).

Ok and an old word,which is linked with music,flute:
romanian - flaut
icelandic - flautu
english - flute
german - Flöte

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flute
(the oldest flute was found in Germany and is dating from 35.000 years ago).
Taranis,you should try a little better to contradict what I am writting here, with more reasonable arguments.

I must repeat my believes again

I do not believe that Romanians are Germanic,
I do not belive that Germans are Romanians,

I say that the time Herodotus describes Thracians and Dacians Baltic and Scandivia was a cruel land to live,
but from the History of the climate conditions we know that Balitc and scandinavia was a sweetable place to live at about 2000 Bc

even North sea (did exist but was dry land) was a paradise that times, and inhabited, (>2000BC

It seems like Thracians and Dacians were either a North nation who went down to Balkan at 900 (major 600) BC
Herodotus describes Tarandos (reignDeer) in Ucraine not far from Crimea, which today exist in Finland and in far North areas as it is consider a low temperatures animal,
then Thracians and Getae moved again North and West, under pressure of Scythians etc,
the description of Strabo that Vissi are the strongest and the leaders of Getae is CLEAR
Vissii -Getae = Visi-Goths
search the Scandinavian Mythology about the connection with Thracians,

Thracians Getae move West and North,
what was left behind of Thracians was romanised or Greek assimilated (Roman or Greek Byzantium culture),

much Later came the last Reserve of Scythians Sarmatians (Slavs) and Huno-Bulgars Cumans Germano-Wallachians Germano-varragians etc and create the modern Nations of Balkans,

It maybe is, or maybe not, a coincidence But Satem language exist only were Turkic speaking populations co-exist,

This is just a pure nonsense.

Taranis,you should try a little better to contradict what I am writting here, with more reasonable arguments.

Indeed, this is pure nonsense. I have a very reasonable argument: you're not going to waste anybody's time here any longer with this. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 51300 times.

Back