What percentage of ancestry is enough to make feel... OT @ the meaning of ethnicity

what about American sub-cultures or regional identity?

I am an American,but more exactly I am from the Southern USA or Dixie.If you ever have read David Hackett Fischer's Albion's Seed then you know there is no one single American identity,we are differant by region and our sub cultures and history is different with seperate American regional identities,I consider my self a Southerner first,not just because of the seperae sub culture of the South but because of other factors.The Southern accent and our different culture comes mainly from English settlers who had roots in southern England and the English West Country and the Scotch-Irish/Anglo-Scotch Border culture.Those are unique blends specific to the southern U.S.Most people here today still have mainly English,Scotch-Irish and some German ancestry and little else.ALL American sub-regions have a history and culture that is unique to that part of North America.Some have had other elements added to it like when many Immigrants came from Ireland and Southern and Eastern Europe in the late 19th century, but in the South most of the 19th century never came here because it was still largley rural,so most southern natives have mainly a colonial Anglo-American background that has specific origins in certain regions of the British isles that were culturally different from other cultures of the British Isles at the time.The history and culture of the South and even the accent all have distinct origins in specific regions of Britain and Ireland that arent seen in other AMerican sub-cultures and regions.Ethnically there is no American ethnicity,different peoples from different parts of Europe and the British Isles also have settled in different regions of America at different times for different reasons and most Americans who have roots in one of those sub-regions have a unique ancestry and regional American identity that is specific to those areas in the United States.My ancestry is mainly Anglo-Celtic,even my dna tests results match with the unique blend of ancestry common to the southern USA.But ethnically I am a Southerner or Dixie American.and my dna shows British Isle Celtic ancestry,Belgic Celtic ancestry (southern England) and Northern Germanic ancestry.

This thread has been viewed 14641 times.

Back