What would you do if you were drafted?

What would you do if you were drafted?

• I would serve my country.

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • I would leave my country.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I would rather go to jail.

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • It would depend on the circumstances of the conflict, but probably go.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • It would depend on the circumstances of the conflict, but probably not go.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • I have already been drafted and I served.

• I have already been drafted and I didn't serve.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I am/was already a member of my country's military and I volunteered.

• I would volunteer before being drafted.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • I am beyond recall age (and have never served)

• Total voters
I guess I just don't understand how people could fight for a cause they don't believe in. It seems that some people wouldn't even care about why they were fighting, they'd just do it because they were told to. And I guess a military would need people like that, it's just that it's so different from my way of thinking that I have a hard time understanding it.

Being forced to fight would be like a potential death sentence for something you want no part of. It would be as if your life doesn't belong to you, but rather belongs to your government. And that's a scary thought. One of the things I like about my country as that its citizens are able to make decisions about what they want to do with their lives. A draft would be very contrary to that. But they haven't enacted a draft yet, so I guess there's no point in getting all worked up over something that may or may not happen. I'm not opposed to people joining the military, but I am opposed to people being forced to.

Personally I'm not going to get myself killed just for my country. If I'm going to die by force, than I'd rather do it by forcing a gun upon myself than having the government do it for me.

Doc

I have a plan.

While my mom works on obtaining Canadian or New Zealand citizenship (as her sons are Hawaiian and somewhat decended from those folk) I enlist. My little brother weighs too much for them to consider him, and he's currently underage.

I don't want to go, but damned if they'll take both of us to fight somewhere. My little bro will continue the lineage.

Depends on fighting for what. I would not go into war to defend other countries. I only would go into war to defend my own country and volk and I would fight to death. Don't want my country being destroyed and/or conquered (again).

I probably won't go to other countries to fight for freedom or anything else there while mine is not in danger (for example Afghanistan, Iraq, south eastern Europe). I don't feel like it's my business.

You forgot to include "I have already served voluntarily" and "I have already served voluntarily and am past recall age"
Also Change: 'I would volunteer before being drafted' to 'I would/did volunteer before being drafted'

This thread has been viewed 65146 times.

Back