What's the origin of Franco-German formality?

you wanted the old way of Italian

“Andiamo a comandare” di Fabio Rovazzi.
Voi Andiamo in latino, giusto perché il prof voleva farci riprendere a tradurre con simpatia

make up you mind............do you want today or yesterday...you asked for origins..............you are a very confusing fellow

Do you actually think that the italian spoken in 1860 ( when Italy was created ) by 2% of the 22million italians is the same Italian language as spoken by italians in 2016 !

The context is important. Actually in this sentence the voi simply means 'you' (plural) as in 'eh you!' It's probably short for "Ecco a voi" and should be separated by a comma before the 'andiamo'. The sentence translates as 'eh you, let's go!". It seems that the 'in latino' isn't part of the sentence as it means 'in Latin' which is not a place. Are you sure you copied and pasted your sentence correctly from whatever website you found it? Sounds like Professor Rovazzi attempted to translate the Latin "Imperatum adeamus" into modern Italian.

Indeed. I was taught that it's terrible manners. I don't think that I remember my parents ever using the informal form other than with family and very close friends, and, of course, with us. Things are definitely changing, however, at least in my experience. I notice that the younger the person the "looser" the usage.

At any rate, since in the past the rules were very strictly applied, and this looser usage of the "tu" form is such a relatively recent phenomenon I don't see how it can have anything to do with northern versus southern "personality" differences. If anything I think it might have to do with the fact that the French and Germans are much more "class" and "status" conscious.

Indeed, in the past the rules were very strictly applied. I think that the vitality of this kind of formality also depends more on the social background and the type of education received than age.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 9416 times.

Back