Religion why are not u a muslim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think believing in a "God" results in a very passive way of living, because people who believe in a God (no matter which) leave it up to "Him Upstairs" to judge them:
e.g. God will Give and Punish if a "Believer" does something wrong or good. This affects the choices of the "Believer." If the Believer e.g. fails something, he might think that it was because it was God's choice/will. This takes the blame off the person and God is responsible for his actions and results in life. This does not make sense, as in that way a person live passively not being entirely responsible and his actions are based on what "Him Upstairs" might think... We are not God's "puppets."
I believe if a person fails something - it is the fault of his own fault (depending on the circumstances)- However - not God's punishment or will!!

That is why I like existentialist philosophy! - I HAVE MY OWN FREE WILL and I am responsible for my actions. People are not "puppets" of someone upstairs - who ever that might be.

Violet said:
I disagree when you say that imams are not a reference. Yes, there is more than one description for what an imam is, but lets stick to the description where the imam is the leader of a congregation. His followers will see the imam as a wise man, as a man who is learned and who can advise them on all life's questions. When this guy proclaims his ideas, he shall be believed. You say that you read and understand and go to the imam for guidance. Many followers though just listen to imams (no I never witnessed this in person, but my Turkish acquaintance told me about this). So if he interprets the Qur'an in his own special way and absolutely believes that he is right, which according to you is maybe not the right way you will probably disagree with him (yes?) ... but the people who follow the imam's every word might end up living according to a wrong interpretation ... ehmm ... do you understand what I mean to say?

Hmm I don't think we should mix politics and religion.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with your third quote ...

yes ,violet"i like ur name"..i understand u..but u dont know that..

1)each good moslem shd keep the holy quran by heart

2)if what u said about interpretation is rt then u wdnt see a moslem community..no violet,there r interpretation from "sahaba" prophet s fellows as they heard him and their followers..

yea..imams have resprct and they -as supposed-know much more than myself..but to beat wife every day(!!!) this is illogic!!
even without keeping quran..this is not fair..Allah is the FAIR.

3)what do u think about democracy?

moslema said:
3)what do u think about democracy?
Democracy is a dictatorship of the majority...

I wouldn't mind having a strong leader that does what he wants (and what the people want) if the country benefits from it (Singapore?). Actually it could be better, because loads of politicians in the parlement aren't there for the country but for themselves and it makes making decisions slow...

Or to quote Churchill: 'Democracy is the worst form of government. Except all others'

Miss_apollo7 said:

I am saying "their law" is not applicable to my way of thinking). :) :wavey:

@ moslema:

erm....what can I say...I just disagree with you I am afraid, but I totally respect your choices. As long as you are satisfied and happy with your lifestyle, and I am happy with mine...I was just brought up differently, like you are brought up differently.
But cut to the chase....may I politely ask your interest for Japan?? and a Japanese forum?? :) Respect to your choices in life and it is great that you are studying medicine - good choice!

PEACE!!! :)

ok...,but u didnt reply about democracy..what wd u do in the case i mentioned?

Why am I not muslim... Well there are many reasons but the question here is Why dont I have a religion?? I am Athiest actually the reason for that is that I have been moved back and forth between families as I was young. Each family had a different religion. So I have seen many. And yes I have many Muslim friends from Sudan. But what is the point of practicing religion. All the religions say something different. But the only thing they all have in common is that you are to be nice to other people and treat all with respect. Do not do bad things. And you will not go to hell if there is one.

I dont think that a specific religion is really the answer just a way to categorize your beliefs.

RockLee said:
.Science is an exact thing, based on facts that are there and can be proven.Religion is based on believing it without seeing it, you don't have an explanation, thus 2 totally different things!!

i understand this..but

Allah sent the holy Quran..which tell scientific facts..from 1400 years

and scientists knew nothing about it til a very short time...what do u think?

cd a man - who cdnt read nor write -fabricate it??

well, jst visit the site and take a look.

Yamatoblue said:
Let me just say, that I am a Muslim man originally from Bosnia. I'm very proud of my religion and I believe it is truly a religion of peace, mercy, humility and obedience to God. You guys can believe in what you want. To you your way, to me mine.
BTW, these kinds of threads are cool. Some of you seem threatened by a thread like this, saying "enough already." This is America(?) so don't we have freedom of speech to say what we want? As you have freedom of speech to ignore this thread instead of replying to it and adding nothing to it.

Also, let me say that a lot of women have converted to Islam, and are still doing so. I don't understand that, if you guys say islam is oppressive towards women. If that is the case, then why do so many women convert to Islam? Explain that to me. Are ALL of them misinformed or hypnotized?
If you guys have any questions regarding gender roles in Islam, I suggest you check out www.whyislam.org .That site should answer any questions you have regarding human rights, women's issues,etc.
God bless.

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

اخي او اختي في الله..جزاكم الله خيرا كثيرا على الرد والدعم..هلا استمررتم معنا في الرد بهذه المناقشات..لا اعرف مدى جدوى هذا..لكنني ادعو الله للجميع بالهداية..

والرجاء طمأنتنا على اهلينا من مسلمي البوسنة..كيف الحال الان؟

ندعو لكم دوما

في حفظ الله.

60Yen said:
:) It was more of a joke. I heared about these guys before, they gave out Islamophobic Awards (George Bush, Ariel Sharon got them and more). Which is redicilous, because criticizing is okay, but be beware of your own mistakes as well. Because in that way Bin Laden could be Christianophobic.
may i ask for explanation 60yen..i dont understand

moslema said:
ok...,but u didnt reply about democracy..what wd u do in the case i mentioned?

moslema said:
2)i dont think that u want to live without a law..which one??
there r many laws all over the worlds..what suits u more?
democracy?
there may b other ppl with other ideas,other values..other measures
will u accept their new laws when u apply democracy?

Marhabaa, kaifa haaluki?
Law brings order of course, yes I want law. But what I said was that I am not a supporter of the sharia, as I think it suppresses women.
A democratic, liberal law suits me, in which women are written down as having equal rights (as men).
I understand "democratic" as liberal, equal, freedom to do whatever...
And to your other question; yes, I would prefer a democratic law, even if it is "new" (like constitutional amendments done by people representing a representative democracy...this has happened in Denmark a couple of times.) [but now this is politics, so let's skip this]
moslema said:
well, today all ppl living with u have ur point of view..the same.so u lead the life u wish..what about tomorrow?
I don't understand your question..elaborate.
moslema said:
4) i wont tell more about poly gamy untill u answer,
being a normal female..do u want to MARRY more than 1 man? Y or NO
Ok, you are turning the question around....but here goes:
I am a believer of monogamy, I personally don't want to marry several guys.
When I get married, my husband should marry 1 woman (me). And I marry only 1 (my husband).
(this is a cultural norm, which is "normal" in our society..)
=equality. A man can only marry one woman, and a woman can only marry one man.=equality.

Equal rights is important to me. -This (my way of living) of course is not possible with the Muslim law (sharia), therefore, I am Not a Muslim.
I want freedom, and I can provide for myself, I would not accept being a "wife" or property of someone else.

The law and "rights" we have in the western countries provide this for me, especially the part that I can do as I wish, and if I don't believe in a God, that is ok.

So, to sum up: (as this was your initial question).
I am Not a Muslim because I don't believe in God [and this is the most imoprtant reason], nor the sharia to guard or decide for me - and do not support the fact that it mixes rituals with law.

I am Not a religious at all because I believe in science, and that my actions are solely based on my responsibility - no will of God. ( because I don't believe in any).
I am a supporter of existentialist philosophy (read: no Christian). E.g. Sartre. i.e. free will. http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116729&postcount=121

I hope you can accept that I am not religious, like I respect your choices for believing in Allah.
I think I am getting repetitive here.

What is your interest for Japan? (since you are in JRef?)

before answering i have to say that at least "me" was insulted rt here..i think u believe that i exist.. dont u?

is it the right time to tell u that if anybody on earth believes in something-whether with seeing or not- he\she wont b as sure as i am of "ISLAM".

I AM THE PERSON ON EARTH TO FEEL THE GREATEST PRIDE..JUST..COS I AM A MOSLEM.

BUT
i will continue,cos my religion says if those who dont know talked to u ..say "salaam"..peace or the best u have.
so i wdnt reply that..anyway...

=)ALLAH S holy "thaat" has description ,if u wish,read about it.

=)in heaven our souls wd b different,much more appetite to what we want that will,absoloutly occur

=)ALLAH s will,THE POWERFUL,concerns-by ALLAH s will-our abilities..circumstances that we cdnt choose..

according to this u have ur life..very spacial for u.but..

=)u r the only one to decide what to do..whether rt or wrong.and so at last u will b punished or rewarded.

ALLAH s will,however,may cause or stop things from happening.ALLAH IS THE WISE .

60Yen said:
Democracy is a dictatorship of the majority...

I wouldn't mind having a strong leader that does what he wants (and what the people want) if the country benefits from it (Singapore?). Actually it could be better, because loads of politicians in the parlement aren't there for the country but for themselves and it makes making decisions slow...

Or to quote Churchill: 'Democracy is the worst form of government. Except all others'
so,u dont like it much..and u vote for a leader ..a good one?

but good in ur opinion..will not b good in other s opinions as ..

" other ppl have other ideas,other values..other measures.

what do u think?

WyteAnjal said:
Why am I not muslim... Well there are many reasons but the question here is Why dont I have a religion?? I am Athiest actually the reason for that is that I have been moved back and forth between families as I was young. Each family had a different religion. So I have seen many. And yes I have many Muslim friends from Sudan. But what is the point of practicing religion. All the religions say something different. But the only thing they all have in common is that you are to be nice to other people and treat all with respect. Do not do bad things. And you will not go to hell if there is one.

I dont think that a specific religion is really the answer just a way to categorize your beliefs.

so u prefer not to believe?

George Carlin explained it better than i can:

When it comes to BULLSHIT...BIG-TIME, MAJOR LEAGUE BULLSHIT... you have to stand IN AWE, IN AWE of the all time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. [George Carlin, from "You Are All Diseased".]

16. Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it, religion has actually convinced people that there's an INVISIBLE MAN...LIVING IN THE SKY...who watches every thing you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten special things that he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever 'til the end of time...but he loves you. [George Carlin, from "You Are All Diseased"]

17. I want you to know, when it comes to believing in god- I really tried. I really really tried. I tried to believe that there is a god who created each one of us in his own image and likeness, loves us very much and keeps a close eye on things. I really tried to believe that, but I gotta tell you, the longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize...something is F'D-UP. Something is WRONG here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is NOT good work. If this is the best god can do, I am NOT impressed. Results like these do not belong on the resume of a supreme being. This is the kind of stuff you'd expect from an office temp with a bad attitude. And just between you and me, in any decently run universe, this guy would have been out on his all-powerful-butt a long time ago. [George Carlin, from "You Are All Diseased".]

18. Trillions and trillions of prayers every day asking and begging and pleading for favors. 'Do this' 'Gimme that' 'I want a new car' 'I want a better job'. And most of this praying takes place on Sunday. And I say fine, pray for anything you want. Pray for anything. But...what about the divine plan? Remember that? The divine plan. Long time ago god made a divine plan. Gave it a lot of thought. Decided it was a good plan. Put it into practice. And for billion and billions of years the divine plan has been doing just fine. Now you come along and pray for something. Well, suppose the thing you want isn't in god's divine plan. What do you want him to do? Change his plan? Just for you? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a divine plan. What's the use of being god if every run-down schmuck with a two dollar prayer book can come along and screw up your plan? And here's something else, another problem you might have; suppose your prayers aren't answered. What do you say? 'Well it's god's will. God's will be done.' Fine, but if it gods will and he's going to do whatever he wants to anyway; why the hell bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me. Couldn't you just skip the praying part and get right to his will? [George Carlin, from "You Are All Diseased".]

imho, religion is a sham. I don't believe in god, the soul, luck, astrology, Santa claus, or the tooth fairy. But whatever works for you ...

moslema said:
I AM THE PERSON ON EARTH TO FEEL THE GREATEST PRIDE..JUST..COS I AM A MOSLEM.
Explain this to me, please.
so,u dont like it much..and u vote for a leader ..a good one?

but good in ur opinion..will not b good in other s opinions as ..

" other ppl have other ideas,other values..other measures.

what do u think?
Nah, all I'm saying democracy isn't working always as the best for a country. Pure democracy doesn't excist, it stops excisting when there are more then 2 people.

Democracy gives a lot of bureaucration and it makes the goverment slow. But it prevents an evil dictator from leading the country.

So it would be better to have a strong Leader that ends corruption, schrinks the bureaucration and lift a country to a higher level. Instead of the childplays hold in the Parlement. I'm not a fascist, but I do think democracy in the way it's in my country, isn't working out as the best for our country.

moslema said:
before answering i have to say that at least "me" was insulted rt here..i think u believe that i exist.. dont u?

Dear Moslema.
Did I insult you? Only because I am not a Muslim and don't agree with you? You are a Muslim, and of course I know you exist.
Problem is, I was brought up differently and believe in science to explain things, not religion.
OK, then, I think I had made it clear that I respect that you are a Muslim - and because I am not, I have insulted you with my beliefs and ideas?

My intention was not to insult you.
You should know that I have Muslim Arab friends from here in Denmark, England, and United Arab Emirates (I have spent some time in Dubai), and also from Egypt, Morocco, Bahrain, and I respect their choices and for being Muslims - I have attended one Muslim Arab engagement party of one of my childhood friend just only a month ago, which was a good party.

I don't discuss religion with them because an argument can be heated up - just like you are telling me that I have insulted you by having my beliefs, or you think I had said something wrong.

I am just not religious, but I would still consider myself an open-minded person because I respect every person's choices - no matter what they believe in, and I don't distinguish between my friends just because they are religious, because inside, they are nice people and good friends of mine.
I just believe in different things......:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamatoblue
Also, let me say that a lot of women have converted to Islam, and are still doing so. I don't understand that, if you guys say islam is oppressive towards women. If that is the case, then why do so many women convert to Islam? Explain that to me. Are ALL of them misinformed or hypnotized?

Ad populem fallacy.
"Tons of women are joining islam. It must be a good religion (or true faith)"
is the same as
"People are joining a suicide cult. No one would join if it was a bad thing."

moslema said:
2)i dont think that u want to live without a law..which one??
there r many laws all over the worlds..what suits u more?
democracy?
well, today all ppl living with u have ur point of view..the same.so u lead the life u wish..what about tomorrow?
there may b other ppl with other ideas,other values..other measures
will u accept their new laws when u apply democracy?

Okay. Let me explain this directly. Democracy is the most misused word in the world next to the supernatural stuff. There is only ONE nation that applied democracy, this was Attica (ancient Greece) from I think more or less 550BC (about 1170 before your prophet's exile) to 400BC (-1020).

This was only for "citizens" of Athens, i.e. you had to be born there, had TWO Athenian parents, and still live there. And depending on the time, it was rigged in favor of aristocratic influence.

I live in Canda. Its official form of government is a monarchial republic, but since Great Britain has been releasing countries' from its grasp (Canada was its own country in 1867, but our actual independence was in about 1931 and fully in 1982 with the repatriation of our Constitution.) we're practically the equivalent of other countries.

What most countries are, in entirety or in verisimilitude, are democratic republics. The essential tenets of democracy are upheld, elected bodies for the people can make and repeal laws, HOWEVER, we also have inalienable rights. Freedom of speech, religion, to the choice of education, freedom from racial/sexual/other forms of discrimination. This is why I would only choose to live in or even VISIT countries based on the ideas of a democratic republic.

*I want to be able to eat what I want for breakfast. (from Pork to General Tao chicken to tofu, and yes, for breakfast)
*I want to be able to eat when I feel and when I need to. (no state-mandated fasting periods)
*I wish to be able to go somewhere, and usually not be asked of my religious affiliation. When asked though, I would also prefer not to be dragged in the street for being an atheist.
*I wish to be able to say what I want to say to whoever I choose to say it to in any language of my choice with the words of my choosing. (i.e. "profanity" but I don't even see it as profane. The only true "profane words" are those using a religious icon in place of a more appropriate word, like "shit")
*Choices related to education and society should be to my choosing, and if I choose a state-sponsored alternative, it should be exempt of any political or religious influence. Heck, this goes for ANYTHING stae-sponsored.

Were I living in a democracy, if 31 million radical muslims from the Middle East decided to camp Canada for 5 years and then all want a sharia-based law, public stonings, this would be totally OK, but it would never happen even if they would win a majority of the seats of our government, the democratic republic.

Everyone is special. But no one is specially blessed, and nothing will excuse you if you are breaking laws. (i.e. "God told me to drown my 5 kids in the bathtub") Some laws can be changed or repealed if the plurality of society would require it, example a Sikh Mountie can wear a turban instead of the typical Mountie hat, but (in general) your religion or culture will not permit you to break laws that endanger your safety and that of others. (i.e. riding a motorcycle with a turban instead of a mandated helmet)

To the original questions:

1) do you believe in god? - No belief required. A divine entity would exist or not exist. Belief is irrelevant, and there is no proof of a divine intervention. The Bible could be simple fiction of just making a story and include real places. Same goes for any good fiction literature.
"Mom raped me in Kazakhstan." = Kazakhstan exists so Mom must have raped me. This is the logic of most people attesting that their version of the divine is right. Note the fact that I've never been to Kazakhstan.

2) what do you know about... - Islam is a religion started by some man (whose name is variably spelt all across the world from Muhammad to Mahomet) and their calendar is based on his exile from either Mecca or Medina, which, I forgot, and am not too inclined to care. So according to the islamic calendar, the year would be 1382. (And were I to set a calendar start it would be in 1969 with the lunar landing, making this year 35.)

With time, Islamic people were just like any other. Everything from scientists to thieves, and politicians to warriors. With the conquest of the byzantine empire (Byzance/Constantinople/Istanbul) near 1453/831 however, sometime, advances by the upper strata have progressed at a very slow rate.

Plus, the testosterone warriors just interested in money and riches were screwing with India 1000 years ago, on and off. So I don't see Muslims as more honorable than anyone else.

And the 3 current problems with the Islamic population today
Still screwing around Pakistan/India.
General disregard for human rights/standard of life.
The Israel question. This however is not an islamic fault, but a zionist one. How they're dealing with it is however ineffective. I can't say more on what I think about that area of the world, as my comments would not be forum-friendly.

3) why are not u a muslim - We're all atheists face to every "deity concept" out there. I just believe in one less god than you do. But seriously, no pork when you're used to weekly binges at the sugar shack... maple syrup is delicious. And I don't believe that holy discrimination can be used as "carte blanche" to bludgeon anything human that is "different", and this goes for ANY religion out there. Not only religions (christianity, islam, judaism, thugs, buddhists, etc...) but societies (Hutu/Tutsi) that advocate loudly or silently in their literature that declare that I am sub-human. I will not tolerate anyone telling me this, nor will i tolerate it being told to anyone else. Feel free to not be whatever your religion says but once you start telling others what to do, advocate that they are less human than you are (or in extreme situations, killing them for it) you do not deserve any preferentail treatment for it.

i'm very narrow-minded, i don't respect other peoples choices and you can get cancer from being muslim! so there! bleeeeeh!

(what?.. you all probably wanted someone to just freak on him, so I took a bullet for the team!)

kintaro: Humans and dolls are not the same! :)(金太郎は:?人間と人形は同じ?を書いた。←すみません、文法が苦手・・・)
Also, you cannot be serious when you compare Islam to a suicide cult. Still, you haven't clearly explained WHY so many women have converted...are they all misinformed or brainwashed about the faith? Tell me that please.
Moselma: I'm sorry, but I don't understand Arabic. Please translate what you said into English. Jazak allah.

@moslema: you keep asking me what I think 'democracy' is. I don't feel like explaining this at all for two reasons:

- Kintaro explained it quite well already
- Democracy should not be mixed with religion

Democracy in itself is a bureacratic apparatus created to govern countries ;). It is relatively new and with ups and downs it has managed to establish itself in many countries. Democracy is fine as it gives people the opportunity to choose who is going to govern their country. And democracy has the nice added extras in the form of consitutional rights. One of those is freedom of religion ... ;)

60yen: hmm maybe our (the dutch) government isn't performing so well right now, or at least it doesn't look as if it does, but it is dealing with problems that started many years ago, when the dutch economy was growing and growing ... the government back then wasn't very concerned with the future. But in recent years, with a stagnating economy, the faults started to show and the current government has to deal with it. They have to take some very tough and unpopular decisions and they have to plan for the future as well. Of course it's hard to like the government at this stage. But I think they are starting to look better and better. But hey, at least in a democracy, you get to elect another government in four years time. Still prefer that over a dictator who was fine at first, but then lost his mind and started killing everyone he hates ;)

@Yamatoblue: hmm religious snobbism?! ;)

hmm meni se uvijek cini da prije rata u bosni, pogotova mlada generacija uopce nije bila zainteresirana za muslimansku vjeru ... jeli mi se cinilo pravo ili ne?

@moslema: I see no reason for you to be offended by Miss Apollo's posts ... what was it that insulted you? ALSO: as Miss Apollo has asked a few times:

WHY ARE YOU HERE ON THIS FORUM? It is a forum for discussion about Japanese culture. Sure, there seems to be plenty of room for other topics as well, but we would still like to know if you are just here for Islamic propaganda or if you have an interest in Japan as well?

Yamatoblue said:
Still, you haven't clearly explained WHY so many women have converted...are they all misinformed or brainwashed about the faith? Tell me that please.

So you haven't read my post, have you ? (here, last reply)

Let me just say this about this thread....

When you come onto a forum and post a topic, "Why are not you Muslim," you must be looking for a fight.

How about, "Why are not you Christian"?

Or "Why don't you believe what I believe"?

You have "faith" in your religion that is proof to you that your beliefs are correct, right? Well, guess what!! So does every other religious person! They all have that same "faith" and they're all sure that they're right. So who's to say which one is right, if any?

Faith can also equate closed-mindedness. "Don't tell me the facts. I've got faith. So lets all kill everyone who doesn't believe what we believe because that's what a true God would surely want."*

*note sarcasm

Violet said:
@Yamatoblue: hmm religious snobbism?! ;)

hmm meni se uvijek cini da prije rata u bosni, pogotova mlada generacija uopce nije bila zainteresirana za muslimansku vjeru ... jeli mi se cinilo pravo ili ne?

@moslema: I see no reason for you to be offended by Miss Apollo's posts ... what was it that insulted you? ALSO: as Miss Apollo has asked a few times:

WHY ARE YOU HERE ON THIS FORUM? It is a forum for discussion about Japanese culture. Sure, there seems to be plenty of room for other topics as well, but we would still like to know if you are just here for Islamic propaganda or if you have an interest in Japan as well?
People always cared about their faith. Our gov't tried to eradicate religion through its communistic ways. Wait...are you muslim? Please tell me what your religion is. Right now, I'm not sure.
Anyway, i know plenty of young bosnians who are religious. People are more religious now after the war, because we are not going to make the same mistake and trust the Serbian pigs again.
One muslimah told me that now in Bosnia some women even cover their faces when they go out.

Yamatoblue said:
People are more religious now after the war, because we are not going to make the same mistake and trust the Serbian pigs again
Maybe you should edit your post. Using nationalist insults is against the rules. I understand where this feeling comes from, but Serbs are just as human as you.

it's just a comment, nothing else is meant by it. i had no intention of insulting you or others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 12453 times.

Back