Question Why does Germany close down it's Nuclear reactors?

Out of interest MM, what are the people suggesting as a replacement for the nuclear plants?

I'd imagine that if it were possible to close all nuclear stations in Germany today, those very same protesters would then be complaining, blaming the government and wondering why there is no longer sufficient power for all their computers, TVs, lights, cooking, hot water, heating, cooling and every other gadget that we (supposedly) can no longer do without.

Even experts in that field are arguing whether electricity blackouts would become realistic or not. Truth be said, most of who agreed that it's going to happen are working for the energy supply companies.
But there is no question that energy prices will rise dramatically (and they already did!). Those who supported the end of nuclear energy -so almost everyone- said they are fine with that! Well, ok then... :confused:
Their other argument is that abandoning nuclear energy will accelerate research and development of more energy efficient technical products of every kind, as well as the creation of environmentally friendlier and renewable energy ressources. Subsequently they argue that this should also make Germany the leading researcher and producer of this kind of technology in the world. Of course it is all very hypothetical and connected to hopes and wishes! I hope they are right, otherwise, uhm, OFF WITH THEIR HEAD! lol :LOL:

I don't think Fukushima can be used as a good example of why nuclear energy is bad either. The reactors at Fukushima automatically shut down in exactly the way they were designed to do, and in an earthquake far more powerful than the plant was designed to withstand. It was the resultant tsunami flooding the emergency generators which caused the problem, with no power the reactors could not be cooled sufficiently. Quite simply the 5.7m protective sea walls around the plant were not high enough for the 15m tsunami.

Tsunami's often happen in Japan.
I really don't get how the Japanese could be so stupid to put nuclear reactors on the ocean side of Japan!
The east side of Japan has a coast with deep water, the west side is very shallow water.
I didn't know they were there. Nobody knew I guess!!!

Tsunami's have far less effect on the west side of Japan.
And I don't even know if they have nuclear reactors over there.

This thread has been viewed 18259 times.

Back