Y-DNA Contributions from historical migrations/invasions of Great Britain?

Pre-Celtic/Pictish - I2a2
Celtic/Belgic - R1b (L21, P312*, S28)
Roman - R1b-S28, J2, E, G2a
Anglo-Saxon - R1b-S21, I1, I2a2
Vikings - I1, R1b-S21, R1a
Normans - R1b (L21, S28, S21, P312*), I1

A better description for R1b among the Vikings is just R1b as there are a lot of R1b-P312/S116 types in Scandinavia too. See the Old Norway Project.
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/-sczsteve/Gothenburg_13Oct2011.pdf

Steve Harding presented this chart. Old_Norway_Project_Y_Hg_Map.jpg

You'll notice that the smaller pulled out pie charts are the R1b breakdown. U106 is the green and you can see there are P312 types (U152/S28, P312/S116, L21/S145, M167/SRY2627) are the majority of the R1b at many of the locations, including Skarabourg, Sweden.

Therefore, it is likely there were some P312 types with Scandinavian raiders/Vikings.

A better description for R1b among the Vikings is just R1b as there are a lot of R1b-P312/S116 types in Scandinavia too. See the Old Norway Project.
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/-sczsteve/Gothenburg_13Oct2011.pdf

Steve Harding presented this chart.View attachment 5746

You'll notice that the smaller pulled out pie charts are the R1b breakdown. U106 is the green and you can see there are P312 types (U152/S28, P312/S116, L21/S145, M167/SRY2627) are the majority of the R1b at many of the locations, including Skarabourg, Sweden.

Therefore, it is likely there were some P312 types with Scandinavian raiders/Vikings.

Thanks for the link. I've seen this before but i'm still surprised how much U152 there is in Jutland. I know it's only a relatively small percentage of the R1b but it's still more than i would have thought. And of course if R1b-L21 in particular (or at least P312) is biased towards the Norwegians then it might make the Norwegian Viking input in Britain harder to detect, as they primarily went to areas that were already L21/P312 heavy around the Irish sea. Although the discovery of Norwegian (or Scandinavian) specific groups helps with that.

Post-Norman influxes of migrants from continental Europe (primarily French and Dutch?).

Probably the largest single group of migrants into Britain since early Modern times have been the Irish. At the moment there are about 6 million people living in Britain who have at least one Irish grandparent (and thus eligble for Irish citzenship), when you fact in historic migration over the last 250 years the numbers with some Irish ancestry has been claimed to be up to 14million (BBC 2001). Even today there's probably upwards of 500,000 Irish born living in Britain.

-Paul
(DF41+)

I had argued in some thread that Germanics did not put a foot in Britain before the Anglo-saxons invasions (except the possible few germanic mercenaries under Roma controle)-
I keep thinking it for the most, but I red again,newly, a COON phrase about the erroneously so called "Danes groves" in Yorkshire (29 males were found): he said: the skeletons was 'Aunjetitz-Unetice like' or (very close) 'early scandinavian types' (of iron Age) # celtic nordic type of Irona Age ("kymric"), with fibulae showing 'scandinavian affinities' AND IT WAS AT FINAL BRONZE AGES: so I'm obliged to admit that some nordic or germanic people had yet put a foot in estern coastal Britain at some early time (even if not in huge quantities)

Probably the largest single group of migrants into Britain since early Modern times have been the Irish. At the moment there are about 6 million people living in Britain who have at least one Irish grandparent (and thus eligble for Irish citzenship), when you fact in historic migration over the last 250 years the numbers with some Irish ancestry has been claimed to be up to 14million (BBC 2001). Even today there's probably upwards of 500,000 Irish born living in Britain.

-Paul
(DF41+)

I agree, totally: the present day physical aspect of Englishmen is very often "altered" (joke) by "celtic back migration" and the irish people are the heavier in the game, I assume: big towns and industrial areas, West lancashire upon all, are targets of irish immigration and it is very evident when you see the surnames percentages evolution in some brittish areas...
Welshmen migrated too, but I think their preferred target was Midlands and Dark Country - it 's why I'm a little bit irritated when I read people speaking about the present day global aspect of English people as it they were all typical of the previous inhabitants of Danelaw, to support the idea there has not been an important germanic and viking occupation in Britain. there has been.

This thread has been viewed 21797 times.

Back