Is haplogroups I linked to the highest body height ?

I believe height in humans is evolutionary in its nature and co related to a particular type of diet and nutrition irrelevant to haplogroups. A long period of 'malnutrition' (or lack of high protein diet) can also reverse the process.

I think we all have been speculating on the connection for awhile, nice to see it confirmed.

Yup that's why I posted it.

Here is the height map from the study:
OIUwGp4.png
http://prntscr.com/58zbwh

Last edited:
The pattern that I've noticed is:

R1a/b- short,robust/strong, short, hard-working, round-headed, light hair/eyes.
I- tall, robust/strong, creative and innovative, elongated head

Though this only applies if the person is overwhelmingly composed of one of one of the HPs. Germanic people for example are a mix between I and R1b (also R1a), and therefore are both tall and have fair eyes/hair.
This is an interesting observation. Because I also initially had this feeling that 'I' folk had elongated heads (for example, when you check famous 'I' people page in eupedia). But then there is this assumption that early IE folk was R1A/R1B and they arrived in I lands. And archeology I think states that elongated heads arrived and rounded heads lived there before.
Maybe I am mistaking something.

This is an interesting observation. Because I also initially had this feeling that 'I' folk had elongated heads (for example, when you check famous 'I' people page in eupedia). But then there is this assumption that early IE folk was R1A/R1B and they arrived in I lands. And archeology I think states that elongated heads arrived and rounded heads lived there before.

I think that anthropologists agree that round headed people brought bronze metallurgy to Europe and that these same metallurgists brought the practice of cremating their dead. Both Bronze metallurgy and cremation are widely known to be Indoeuropean cultural behavior. The longheaded kurgan graves could be explained by admixture with either mediterraneans or EEMH.

Another thing is that I am short 1.75, robust, have a big head, light eyes/hair. But maybe 1 in 10 would classify me hard-working :) 9 in 10 would state that I am a lazy smart ass with some crazy ideas who moves his smart object only when passion - driven or deadline forced.
But then as a Latvian I have equal chances of N1c and R1a. Where N1c stands in your observations btw?

Leo Tolstoy belongs to Haplogroup I

His head appears rather round.

They classified Loschbour as "Hyperdolicephalic" (Hyper-long skull if you please), from this: study http://www.academia.edu/2555347/_Th...l_Radiometric_and_Archaeological_Implications

"Its (Loschbour's) skull is hyperdolichocephalic, with a cranial capacity of 1584cm3."

Loschbour was short but that can be attributed to nutrition of the era.

Here is a quote on modern average cranial capacities of different races from a different study http://psychology.uwo.ca/faculty/rushtonpdfs/sizematters.pdf

"Their study found that East Asians, Europeans, and Africans averaged cranial volumes of 1415, 1362, and 1268 cm3, respectively."

So its apparent that ancient Y DNA I Hunter Gatherer's still had much larger cranial capacities than modern humans, this is consistent with Cro Magnon who also had a larger skull. I think there is probably a correlation between height, overall body size, & skull size.

I think that anthropologists agree that round headed people brought bronze metallurgy to Europe and that these same metallurgists brought the practice of cremating their dead. Both Bronze metallurgy and cremation are widely known to be Indoeuropean cultural behavior. The longheaded kurgan graves could be explained by admixture with either mediterraneans or EEMH.

Yes

Historical craniometric studies found that the Beaker people appeared to be of a different physical type than those earlier populations in the same geographic areas. They were described as tall, heavy boned and brachycephalic (
Broad(wide) skull). The early studies on the Beakers which were based on the analysis of their skeletal remains, were craniometric.

Here is the height map from the study:
OIUwGp4.png
http://prntscr.com/58zbwh
I still don't undrstand - according to this Study Lithuanians are the fourth tallest, but they have very little I. So why would you say that your theory about I = tall is being confirmed? If hapl I (rather than anything else) is correlated to being tall, then no population without I could be tall. Do you see the logic?

I still don't undrstand - according to this Study Lithuanians are the fourth tallest, but they have very little I. So why would you say that your theory about I = tall is being confirmed? If hapl I (rather than anything else) is correlated to being tall, then no population without I could be tall. Do you see the logic?

Well there are of course going to be outliers. Here is a chart that shows the correlation (first chart only has haplogroup I the other one also includes the Germanic subclade of r1b):
1-s2.0-S1570677X14000665-gr11.jpg

They did not even include Lat and Lith in graph below :D

So, we are taller than ecpected based on our I-ness, whereas Bosniaks, Serbs, Croats, Norges are shorter.

Edit: they should have chosen some other type of regression (not linear).

This thread has been viewed 20596 times.

Back