The genomic history of southeastern Europe-Mathiesen et al

Bicicleur, do you have the share link to the official paper and results?

See:
https://www.nature.com/articles/nat...T-DMk0nxhNkasZOyo4D_4jMicB1GvUKizVSR-LMRmndg0

J13DmBJ.png
[/IMG]

I have a nagging suspicion that Hittite will be R1b-V88, if we ever sequence any known Hittite samples.

I have a nagging suspicion that Hittite will be R1b-V88, if we ever sequence any known Hittite samples.

Anatolian IEs are a mystery, given their languages archaic features that they don't share with other IE members, they occupy a "basal" position and therefore separated first.

Also, the differences between Anatolian languages are significant, linguists, therefore, predict that they shouldn't be the product of a Middle Bronze Age migration as was thought before, but were present in Anatolia at least earlier by a millenium or more.

We have a sample from BA Anatolia and all he has is more Iran/Caucasus admixture, no Steppe. As to what subclade of R1a or R1b they should have, no subclade fits their strong historical presence in Anatolia as well as their earlier separation from other IEs (Z2013 is excluded by this rule), except R1b-PF7562, however it doesn't have a high frequency in Anatolia.

Maybe they weren't R1 after all ?

Anatolian IEs are a mystery, given their languages archaic features that they don't share with other IE members, they occupy a "basal" position and therefore separated first.
Also, the differences between Anatolian languages are significant, linguists, therefore, predict that they shouldn't be the product of a Middle Bronze Age migration as was thought before, but were present in Anatolia at least earlier by a millenium or more.
We have a sample from BA Anatolia and all he has is more Iran/Caucasus admixture, no Steppe. As to what subclade of R1a or R1b they should have, no subclade fits their strong historical presence in Anatolia as well as their earlier separation from other IEs (Z2013 is excluded by this rule), except R1b-PF7562, however it doesn't have a high frequency in Anatolia.

+1

I like the way and expression that you present it.

It is near my believes also.

Yep, and I've long held that PIE was spoken at the interface between the Balkan farmers and the Ukrainian steppe by 5000BC at the latest.

Given how archaic Hittite is it would have needed to be a very early departure, prior to the formation of the PIE that all other IE languages are descended from, which was probably formed by 3500BC from the steppe-Balkan interface to the Volga (Perhaps to the Urals).

Looking at all that V88 in neolithic Ukraine (and Iron Gates-ish) makes me wonder about the likely hood that early departing Anatolian speakers included alot of V88 men. This also fits nicely with the generally accepted association of cattle stock breeding with PIEs and V88.

That's all. Just a hunch, presuming that modern distributions don't correlate. It could be that there are little descendants of Hittites in Anatolia today.

I think those Anatolian BA guys were J2a(?), and they weren't in any Hittite context.

Also I think the Hittites were big on cremation, so it may prove difficult to find known Hittite elite male remains.

It may be easier to find these samples in Egypt, if we were to assume that during the New Kingdom wars some enemy Hittites found their way to Egypt, died, and reside in a labeled tomb. But if this were the case they would have likely gave them the respect of their customary cremation. Who knows.

But there's gotta be some Hittite remains somewhere that we can sequence.

Yep, and I've long held that PIE was spoken at the interface between the Balkan farmers and the Ukrainian steppe by 5000BC at the latest.

Given how archaic Hittite is it would have needed to be a very early departure, prior to the formation of the PIE that all other IE languages are descended from, which was probably formed by 3500BC from the steppe-Balkan interface to the Volga (Perhaps to the Urals).

Looking at all that V88 in neolithic Ukraine (and Iron Gates-ish) makes me wonder about the likely hood that early departing Anatolian speakers included alot of V88 men. This also fits nicely with the generally accepted association of cattle stock breeding with PIEs and V88.

That's all. Just a hunch, presuming that modern distributions don't correlate. It could be that there are little descendants of Hittites in Anatolia today.

I think those Anatolian BA guys were J2a(?), and they weren't in any Hittite context.

Or even other clades of R1b, why not? I think the evidence points increasingly to the possibility that the earliest R1b steppe peoples (M269) may have acquired it originally in the western portions of the Pontic-Caspian steppe relatively near to the Balkans & Caparthian, in interactions with mixed ANF-WHG cultures that neighbored them and brought innovations. It must not be only a coincidence that R1a prevails in much of the steppe and then we see an increasing number of R1b, right to the east of where R1b has been found even in populations with roots dating to the Mesolithic. I don't mean that they already got necessarily R1b-M269 from the western peoples, but maybe its immediately ancestor clade which migrated into the westernmost steppe early on and eventually developed right there, possibly in some southern/southwestern part of the Pontic-Caspian area. Sredny-Stog, for instance, AFAIK is noted for its clear and close contacts with the Neolithic Carpathian/Northeast Balkan area, and many in the past have associated the earliest forms of PIE culture with Sredny Stog, even though when it later appears fully formed it diffuses from the eastern steppe and with much more CHG, probably after intense cultural and genetic contacts with the cultures of the Caucasus/Caspian. I don't know, this is still little more than speculating or "well informed guesses" at best. lol

Where did you get that map from? It wasn't in the paper. It doesn't look like the lazaridis pca, I guess it's because only one sample was used from each population.
Could someone help me with this?

no, I didn't,
thx Angela

do you also know whether there are more new samples apart from this I5884?

I don't have a list of the new versus the old, no, sorry.

Could someone help me with this?

I think that's from "Matt" over at Eurogenes, but I got it second hand, so I'm not sure.

I'm going to try to hunt it down. I don't want to misattribute it to anyone.

Or even other clades of R1b, why not? I think the evidence points increasingly to the possibility that the earliest R1b steppe peoples (M269) may have acquired it originally in the western portions of the Pontic-Caspian steppe relatively near to the Balkans & Caparthian, in interactions with mixed ANF-WHG cultures that neighbored them and brought innovations. It must not be only a coincidence that R1a prevails in much of the steppe and then we see an increasing number of R1b, right to the east of where R1b has been found even in populations with roots dating to the Mesolithic. I don't mean that they already got necessarily R1b-M269 from the western peoples, but maybe its immediately ancestor clade which migrated into the westernmost steppe early on and eventually developed right there, possibly in some southern/southwestern part of the Pontic-Caspian area. Sredny-Stog, for instance, AFAIK is noted for its clear and close contacts with the Neolithic Carpathian/Northeast Balkan area, and many in the past have associated the earliest forms of PIE culture with Sredny Stog, even though when it later appears fully formed it diffuses from the eastern steppe and with much more CHG, probably after intense cultural and genetic contacts with the cultures of the Caucasus/Caspian. I don't know, this is still little more than speculating or "well informed guesses" at best. lol

Yes, M269 is the usual PIE suspect. I do agree that bronze age steppe R1b lines could very well have come from Iron gates or the Baltic Mesolithic, and steppe R1a lines could have come from around the Baltic as well. In fact I've long held that PIE in some form could have been spoken from around the Vistula to the Urals during the Mesolithic. Some pre-farming form, but of course pre-farming would defy the definition of PIE, so it's hard to talk about without people getting annoyed. That and you have the issue of glaciers in the way.

I've always talked about Sredny Stog on here as an important phenomenon for PIE. Sample I6561 from a latter Sredny Stog layer is essentially the first Corded Ware genotype, which also came to cover the entire steppe by the late bronze age and this sample predated Yamnaya by at least 500 years. I think PIE was spoken by 4000-5000BC at the latest in the Ukraine and Volga/Don river systems, and that Yamnaya was already speaking Indo-Iranian.

The fact that most ancient steppe Iranian samples and also modern Ancestral North Indians are descended from Yamnaya and not LMBA steppe is strongly supportive of Yamnaya speaking Indo-Iranian, if not conclusive. Sample I6561 is evidence of likely IE speaking genotypes before Yamnaya, which also supports this. If this is true, and you apply the linguistics, then you must conclude that Anatolian was being spoken in a more narrow region before Yamnaya. Continuing with this line of reasoning when looking at the archaeology we need to find the most likely culture and I think Sredny-Stog fits on account of being the earliest example of Steppe mixing with the Balkan farmers to acquire the broader farming lexicon.

If all of this is true, in light of the Neolithic Ukraine Y-HG calls, then Anatolian speakers are likely to have brought V88 with them. The reason I brought it up is because it's very opposed to widely held notions about V88 before this paper.

People on here and elsewhere had some weird theories about V88. It was treated as some special farming/stock breeding R1b line that popped up in the same magical middle eastern R1b fatherland that has been suggested on here before. I believe Anatolia or the Iranian Plateau was the proposed magic R1b fatherland theorized from modern R1b distributions, which have yet to be supported by any shred of ancient DNA.

I think that's from "Matt" over at Eurogenes, but I got it second hand, so I'm not sure.

I'm going to try to hunt it down. I don't want to misattribute it to anyone.

You could always just ask me, instead.:LOL: That's just Eurogenes' dat file that I ran in Past3 myself, after group-labeling a few relevant populations. So credit goes to Eurogenes really, I only did the easy part.

Oh OK I see. An updated version was published in Nature in the last few days. Forgive me I'm slow.

How bout that small bit of steppe in Peloponnese Neolithic?

That's just the separate stream of Caucasus-Iran via Anatolia really, of the kind we find in the later Balkans (especially prominent in Minoans-Mycenaeans and Krepost) and the Sicilian Beaker too, you can kinda tell in some of the Ks in the unsupervised run.

So we've been saying here since the paper came out, but you'll never convince some people. Some of it may also have been part of later migrations. Mycenaeans had about 5% additional Levant Neolithic I think. Other groups may have had more.

The Mycenaeans could be modelled without Levant. Anatolia_BA was modelled with like 7% though from what I recall. All of modern Southern Europe has some Levant in varying amounts it seems so I think it's of later/other post-BA provenance.

Eastara, btw, seems to have made the mistake of taking the projected PCA a bit too literally. In the other non-projected PCA the pic you posted is from, Varna outlier with its apparently very high steppe falls somewhere close to modern Central-East Europe. Nowhere near Tuscans who are much closer to the EEF-heavy (even more so than modern-day Italians and Southeast Europeans who all seem to have more steppe and Iran/Levant) on average BA, IA and Mycenaean samples. I also have a feeling the last three are going to be more of the norm, of course.

You could always just ask me, instead.:LOL: That's just Eurogenes' dat file that I ran in Past3 myself, after group-labeling a few relevant populations. So credit goes to Eurogenes really, I only did the easy part.

Now, how could I ask you, LatGal, since I didn't remember that it was you who provided it? :)

Sorry about that.

It's amazing to me, I must say, that amateurs can do PCAs that aren't projected, while academics from the finest labs in the world, can't, according to the amateur community.

Now, if this is the most "correct" version:

ItalyNorth (modern), is very far "north" of Vucedol, contrary to what Matt saw with neighbor joining tree? It's even further north than Balkans Bronze Age, which makes sense, perhaps, given first millenium BC Gallic migrations and the Langobard influence.

Tuscans are just a bit south and east of Balkan Bronze Age, toward Albanians and Greek Peloponnese.

Balkan Iron Age is just a bit north of Mycenaeans.

Southern Italians, Sicilians, etc. are actually a bit "north" of Mycenaeans.

That ties in with this comment from "Matt":

"Matt:
"From visual analysis, it looks like to get to Sicilians, the easiest ancient model is Mycenaean+Central_European (though this may or may not be most historically and linguistically sensible). For Balkans it's Mycenaean+Slavic. The Balkans BA populations don't seem quite right as ancestral without extensive Anatolia_BA like ancestry.

To get to the Mycenaeans themselves, it seems like Tepecik_Ciftlik+Balkans_BA or Anatolia_BA+Balkans_BA either work, depending on whether we pick more or less Anatolian-like Balkans_BA."

As I've also been speculating for years, Southern Italians and Sicilians, however it happened, are closer "genetically", if not "ancestrally" to the Mycenaeans than are the mainland Greeks, to the usual vituperative denial by the usual suspect(s), of course.

As to when this shift to more "Iran Chl like/Iran Neo" ancestry began, I notice that the more responsible and objective posters have the grace to admit that they missed some signs that the shift might have begun very early indeed. (The others either ignore it or pretend that they knew that all along.)

We didn't miss it here. I noticed the more "CHG" like ancestry in Otzi as soon as his genome was analyzed.
oXruAcW.png
[/IMG]

Since then I have consistently said that his Copper Age genome showed that there might have been different waves of the Neolithic which might have carried more of that ancestry. I also speculated that genomic material similar to that which created the Minoans might have continued on into southeastern Europe and perhaps Italy.

Now, voila!

Roy King: The late Neolithic Peloponnese samples are shifted toward BA Anatolia and Chalcolithic Anatolia with presumptive CHG input. The earlier Neolithic sample from the Peloponnese aligns with the early Greek Neolithic samples. The later samples are about 4000 BCE in dating and also cluster with Minoan Crete samples. The one Minoan--I9130--who is G2a in Y chromosome looks like the Early Greek Neolithic samples; the rest cluster with the late Peloponnese and the late Anatolian (Chalcolthic/BA) samples. The data strongly suggest a movement circa 4000 BCE from Anatolia to mainland Greece, perhaps associated with J2a1 and the pre-Greek substrate languages (-ss- and -nth1 toponyms)."

Otzi, of course, is dated to around 3000 BCE. Plenty of time for that ancestry to have made it even to the Alps.

Now, did some also arrive with the Bronze Age? Absolutely. Did some arrive later? Probably. I just don't know how much, and neither does anyone else.

As for "Levant" showing up, some of it may be more recent. However, "Levant" ancestry was a big part of Anatolian farmer ancestry, and some modeling shows it in Anatolia Bronze Age for example, so it could have entered then.

What some people are doing, trying to model Sicilians with Nordic Bronze Age, for example, of all things, is going to force the algorithm to add some additional "Levantine" to the mix. The insanity that goes on with some of this modeling is beyond belief, imo. I saw someone tried to model Sicilians with Tunisian Jews. I can't imagine why, unless it was to try to prove that Sicilians are Jews or North Africans. They're neither. However, similar proportions of the same kind of ancestry means that some Jews and Sicilians cluster together, which any PCA will show. If you put Tunisian Jews, who are just Sephardim with a bit of North African, into the mix, you're going to come up runs that are just going to lead to really false conclusions.

Their relative positions on the PCA are clearer here . Sicilians seem primarily slightly northeastern compared to Mycenaeans, which speaks to roughly "equal" amounts of further steppe and near eastern ancestry in Sicilians. But position based on just the first two PCs can be potentially misleading since it basically shows you the relative amounts of HG vs Basal and ANE vs non-ANE. In other analyses, it's clear that part of the Anatolia_N in Southern Europe has been apparently replaced by a bit of the very related Levant_N, and that sort of ancestry seems to show a peak in Sicilians/Calabrians, with Cretans close to them. The recent Sarno study was interesting in that regard too and shows something similar. I'm speaking here of the extra Levant that can't be defined as part of the Anatolia_N. "Exact percentages" won't be resolved until we get proximal samples though, like you said.

On the other hand, most of the more important and plentiful Caucasus in Southern Europe seems to already be quite old in most of it, which indeed quite a few people didn't seem to be expecting. Nonetheless, near eastern ancestry increasing in all of Southern Europe since the Bronze Age (or even the Iron Age for at least parts of it) is an almost definite yes for me at this point but I'll gladly change my mind if future samples speak against that. But it's clear that Sicilians don't seem to be quite the 'near-easternized' population some people were expecting compared to ancient uber-steppe(?) Southern Europe. They're rather more ANE/eastern, like the rest of Southern Europe.

As for the ss/nth toponyms, I have brought that up in the past too in relation with Italy where they seem to exist as well (and more towards the center and south IIRC, in fact) and wondered if it weren't part of a later non-IE migration from Anatolia that affected both the Balkans and Italy.

Their relative positions on the PCA are clearer here . Sicilians seem primarily slightly northeastern compared to Mycenaeans, which speaks to roughly "equal" amounts of further steppe and near eastern ancestry in Sicilians. But position based on just the first two PCs can be potentially misleading since it basically shows you the relative amounts of HG vs Basal and ANE vs non-ANE. In other analyses, it's clear that part of the Anatolia_N in Southern Europe has been apparently replaced by a bit of the very related Levant_N, and that sort of ancestry seems to show a peak in Sicilians/Calabrians, with Cretans close to them. The recent Sarno study was interesting in that regard too and shows something similar. I'm speaking here of the extra Levant that can't be defined as part of the Anatolia_N. "Exact percentages" won't be resolved until we get proximal samples though, like you said.

On the other hand, most of the more important and plentiful Caucasus in Southern Europe seems to already be quite old in most of it, which indeed quite a few people didn't seem to be expecting. Nonetheless, near eastern ancestry increasing in all of Southern Europe since the Bronze Age (or even the Iron Age for at least parts of it) is an almost definite yes for me at this point but I'll gladly change my mind if future samples speak against that. But it's clear that Sicilians don't seem to be quite the 'near-easternized' population some people were expecting compared to ancient uber-steppe(?) Southern Europe. They're rather more ANE/eastern, like the rest of Southern Europe.

As for the ss/nth toponyms, I have brought that up in the past too in relation with Italy where they seem to exist as well (and more towards the center and south IIRC, in fact) and wondered if it weren't part of a later non-IE migration from Anatolia that affected both the Balkans and Italy.

Maybe that extra Levant could be related to a movement of Anatolian BA mixture into the area, since they seem to score an additional 7% Levant_N? It's possible this group could have went through Greece as well before reaching southern Italy/Sicily, but later migrations from the north diluted it, unlike in Sicily.

Also, in a new study of Y-DNA and surnames from southern Italy/Sicily, Boattini (who I believe was a co-author of last year's Sarno paper) makes reference to the time periods and admixtures in question; I pointed them out here. They seem pretty sure it was a Bronze Age movement, at least for now.

Maybe that extra Levant could be related to a movement of Anatolian BA mixture into the area, since they seem to score an additional 7% Levant_N? It's possible this group could have went through Greece as well before reaching southern Italy/Sicily, but later migrations from the north diluted it, unlike in Sicily.

Also, in a new study of Y-DNA and surnames from southern Italy/Sicily, Boattini (who I believe was a co-author of last year's Sarno paper) makes reference to the time periods and admixtures in question; I pointed them out here. They seem pretty sure it was a Bronze Age movement, at least for now.

Yes, I think that's definitely a possibility for at least part of it.

This thread has been viewed 185706 times.

Back