The curious case of Albanian coincidences

Sorry for my English, i will try to explain, maybe Johane can help me.
The verb drink in Albanian is pi.
Unë pi....... I drink
Ti pi........... You drink
Ai/Ajo pi.....He/She drinks.

Forma e kryer e foljes (Johane can help with the translation).
Unë kam pirë..... I have drink, etc.
This is in Standard Albanian. Meanwhile in Geg dialects they say:
Unë kam pi.........I have drink.
You have to take in consideration also that the correct form is pirë, or bukë for bread, but we use to say pir, buk, etc.
The Noun drinker in Albanian, in Standard is pirës or just pirs in dialect, or by not well educated people. Blood drinker in Albanian is gjakpirës or gjakpirs.

Unë kam pirë = I have drunk (i drank)

Pirës = Drinker

But there is a difference in pronounciation when the S is added at the end.

In "Pi" and "Pirë" the "i" is pronounced like the "i" in "Ski"

Whereas the "i" in Pirës is pronounced like the "i" in "This" which is also how the "i" is pronounced in "Dhampir" in Albanian.

This means that its more likely to have been Dhampirës and lost the S. Hence teeth drinker (or possibly pain
as Laberia correctly noted).

I never noticed that its the same word.

Po më dhamin kamt (Gheg) = my legs hurt.

Albanians must have had terrible tooth pain for it to become the word for pain

Unë kam pirë = I have drunk (i drank)

Pirës = Drinker

But there is a difference in pronounciation when the S is added at the end.

In "Pi" and "Pirë" the "i" is pronounced like the "i" in "Ski"

Whereas the "i" in Pirës is pronounced like the "i" in "This" which is also how the "i" is pronounced in "Dhampir" in Albanian.

This means that its more likely to have been Dhampirës and lost the S. Hence teeth drinker (or possibly pain
as Laberia correctly noted).

I never noticed that its the same word.

Po më dhamin kamt (Gheg) = my legs hurt.

Albanians must have had terrible tooth pain for it to become the word for pain

Yes, you are right. In Geg pain is dham or dhamb. The Standard Albanian is based in the dialect of the small region of Përmet.

The name "Ion sea" comes from the fact that Ionian tribes that colonised south Italy. R*tards!

Well Wikipedia has actually deleted many of the old comments, but check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Epirus_(ancient_state). The people who have edited that page in the past are all quite biased, both Greeks and Albanians, but that Alexikoua person is an admin so his/her bias wins.

The old talk had a long discussion about sources. One of the administrators had completely removed all the authors who labeled the people of ancient Epirus as barbarians, and maintained the ones who regarded them as Greeks. Later they decided to include them but opening with an interpretation on how with "barbarians" these authors had not meant "foreigners" (check the "Culture" section of the same page), which I think is also biased and unnecessary. They should have just reported what the ancient authors say regardless of how they described the Epirotes.
Epirus has never been considered a Greek land during the history. Epirus a Greek land is invention of the XX century.

Another amazing coincidence: Amalthea, the foster-mother goat that infant Zeus drank milk from in ancient mythology.

In Gheg Albanian "Ambël" means sweet.

("ëmbël" in the Standardised version,the b is 90% silent)

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ëmbël

"Dhi" means "She-Goat." "Dhia" means "The She-Goat."

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dhi

So in Albanian Ambel-Dhia means "The Sweet She-Goat."

ujeQaAY.png

This is from the wikipage on the mythological Amalthea:

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalthea_(mythology)?oldformat=true

The name Amaltheia, in Greek "tender goddess", is clearly an epithet, signifying the presence of an earlier nurturing goddess,[1] whom the Hellenes, whose myths we know, knew to be located in Crete, where Minoans may have called her a version of "Dikte".[2]There were different traditions regarding Amaltheia.[3] Amaltheia is sometimes represented as the goat who nurtured the infant-god in a cave in Cretan Mount Aigaion ("Goat Mountain"),[4] sometimes as a goat-tending nymph[5] of uncertain parentage (the daughter of Oceanus,[6] Helios,[7] Haemonius,[8] or—according to Lactantius—Melisseus[9]),[10] The possession of multiple and uncertain mythological parents indicates wide worship of a deity in many cultures having varying local traditions. Other names, like Adrasteia, Ide, the nymph of Mount Ida, or Adamanthea, which appear in mythology handbooks,[11] are simply duplicates of Amaltheia.

The infant Jupiter seated on the goat Amalthea, whose horn he is breaking off, 255 AD

26d389d26ce44cb5373b29159f89f1cd.jpg

The Goat Amalthea with the Infant Jupiter and a Faun by Gian Lorenzo Bernini. Produced sometime between 1609 and 1615

A. Papadimitrou maybe you can help since this one is Greek related.

Another amazing coincidence: Amalthea, the foster-mother goat that infant Zeus drank milk from in ancient mythology.

In Gheg Albanian "Ambël" means sweet.

("ëmbël" in the Standardised version,the b is 90% silent)

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ëmbël

"Dhi" means "She-Goat." "Dhia" means "The She-Goat."

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dhi

So in Albanian Ambel-Dhia means "The Sweet She-Goat."

ujeQaAY.png

This is from the wikipage on the mythological Amalthea:

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalthea_(mythology)?oldformat=true

The name Amaltheia, in Greek "tender goddess", is clearly an epithet, signifying the presence of an earlier nurturing goddess,[1] whom the Hellenes, whose myths we know, knew to be located in Crete, where Minoans may have called her a version of "Dikte".[2]There were different traditions regarding Amaltheia.[3] Amaltheia is sometimes represented as the goat who nurtured the infant-god in a cave in Cretan Mount Aigaion ("Goat Mountain"),[4] sometimes as a goat-tending nymph[5] of uncertain parentage (the daughter of Oceanus,[6] Helios,[7] Haemonius,[8] or—according to Lactantius—Melisseus[9]),[10] The possession of multiple and uncertain mythological parents indicates wide worship of a deity in many cultures having varying local traditions. Other names, like Adrasteia, Ide, the nymph of Mount Ida, or Adamanthea, which appear in mythology handbooks,[11] are simply duplicates of Amaltheia.

The infant Jupiter seated on the goat Amalthea, whose horn he is breaking off, 255 AD

26d389d26ce44cb5373b29159f89f1cd.jpg

The Goat Amalthea with the Infant Jupiter and a Faun by Gian Lorenzo Bernini. Produced sometime between 1609 and 1615

A. Papadimitrou maybe you can help since this one is Greek related.

Milk in Gheg is "Tambël" :

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tambël#Albanian

Nice thread, i love ancient coins..

And ... so what?

Ambël - Amal
Dhia - Thea

There is obviously both phonetic and conceptual cohesion between the mythical Goat "Amalthea" and the conjuction of the words "Sweet" and "She-Goat" in Albanian.

Last edited:
Basically the shields with circles were known to the Macedonians and the Illyrians at the same time. Or at least it is not yet possible to ascribe this type of shields origin to any of them. (Imo, since Macedonia was basically just a contact zone between Illyrian and hellenic people, and since we don't really see these shields in the real hellenic areas, i think that these shield came from the north)

Early on the Illyrians had shields with 4 circles, while the Macedonians had shields with 5 circles.
I guess that later on the number of circles lost its meaning, since shields with different numbers of circles turn up in places inhabited by different people. For example i have personally seen some shields with 6 circles on Illyrian lands. And shield with 7 in Macedonian lands.

Epirus has never been considered a Greek land during the history. Epirus a Greek land is invention of the XX century.

There are some ancient authors who called them Greeks but the earliest ones didn't.

SO THE CURIOUS COINCIDENCES

GOES BACK TO PROPAGANDA AGAIN

AND I wonder why to use Albanian to explain a Greek word,
which is already explained by Greek
or even PIE?

Simply cause some 'scholars' want so.

DERITE

ΑΜΑΛΘΕΙΑ

from Μαλθακος modern Greek you know how μαλ..κας

guys when you understand simple Linguistics.

WHAT I REALLY WONDER IS THE NEXT?

IS THE PURPOSE OF THESE TO PROVE WHAT?
MINOANS WERE ALBANIANS?
OR ALBANIANS ARE MINOANS?

JUST WONDER???

SO THE CURIOUS COINCIDENCES

GOES BACK TO PROPAGANDA AGAIN

AND I wonder why to use Albanian to explain a Greek word,
which is already explained by Greek
or even PIE?

Simply cause some 'scholars' want so.

DERITE

ΑΜΑΛΘΕΙΑ

from Μαλθακος modern Greek you know how μαλ..κας

guys when you understand simple Linguistics.

You admit though that "The Sweet She-Goat" is quite a big coincidence for a she-goat that Zeus drinks milk from? Also that the word for "milk" in Albanian (Tambël) is "ambel" with T infront?

Can you admit at least that this is a big coincidence?

There are some ancient authors who called them Greeks but the earliest ones didn't.

No author that wrote in a language classified as 'Greek' used the term 'Greek' for any of the groups we call today 'Greek'.

'Hellenes' seem to have been originally a tribe that originated in Thessaly. Herodotus associates them with Dorians, says that they were neighbors of the Pelasgians when Dorians lived in Phthia. He talks about a movement to Pindus (East? Epirus, Upper (West) Macedonia, where they were called 'ethnos Makednon') and then a movement south.

If this thread turns into a t-roll the Greeks thread, I'll close it. Is that clear?

If this thread turns into a t-roll the Greeks thread, I'll close it. Is that clear?

This is not about t - rolling the greeks. If you think I'm bringing up these coincidences to t - roll then you are assuming that I'm acting in bad faith which I am not.

These are real concerns and questions of mine. If Yetos pm'ed you to try get you to shut down this thread after he had no response then that is shameful.

A. Papadimitrou is real and honestly responding to my questions of things yet unexplored.

This thread has been viewed 88827 times.

Back