Sarmatians, Serbs, Croats and I2a2

I was writing before on topic http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26152&page=3 how the depopulation of Balkan in 6th century happened and how Slavs became dominant element. There is chronology:

"I don't know for previous periods, but depopulation of 6th century is easy to understand which way happened:
Till 533. it was quite stabile situation. Western part of Balkan (Dalmatia) was under Goths in Ostrogothic kingdom. Actually Ostrogothic kingdom under Theodoric was western part of Roman Empire with Gothic elite as ruling caste. The population in Dalmatia and Italy was still Roman with of course some Germanic minorities. Central part of Balkan was under direct Roman rule, as the eastern one.
535- Justinian I attacks Goths and Gothic Roman wars began
536- dramatic climatic change, little ice age
541. great plague, killing 40 to 50% populatian of Roman Empire
554- Romans finally defeated Goths, end of Roman Gothic war
558.- Avars came to Panonia for first time, allied with Slavs their making incursions in Dalmatia province
572.- Beginning of Roman Persian wars, most of Byzantine military moved to east leaving Balkan provinces without protection
577.-Slavs are already in Balkan provinces, they reach as far to Peloponesus
586.- Slavs were already settled from Danube to Peloponesus, Empire lost all Balkan inland
So this is a short history of Balkan in the second half of 6th century. It is obvious that previous Roman (Greek) population was already devastated with famine, plague, wars especially in Dalmatia which was always less protected part of Empire and more exposed to the intervention from northern barbarians.
Climatic change in 536. were recorded throughout Europe, and as we see real decline of Roman (Greek) power began with that year. Is it possible that Serbian legend about Greeks who leave the country because snow fall in July was an echo of some true story, story about crash of Roman Empire in Balkan and almost total change of its population."

And about Serbs:

"There were Slavs which definetely came before Serbs. Serbs came in 7th century and were parth of totally different migration. But much before the Serbs various Slavic tribes poured into Balkan provinces . At that tim Goths have already gone.This is the generation of arriving Slavs which could remember the dramatic climatic change in 536. and transfer it to Serbs which came around 620. The Serbs as I think were predominantly I2a2 Dinaric South and they settled among already settled Slavs which were predominantly I2a2 Dinaric North. Today, according to newest study there is about one third of North haplotypes among Serbs and Montenegrines and two third South haplotypes."

From what we know so far, Scythians were mainly R1a carriers....
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26058

Sarmatians are, according to sources from ancient Greece, offspring of Scythians and Amazones, which would make them R1a dominant as well.

Herodotus (Histories 4.21) in the fifth century BC placed the land of the Sarmatians east of the Tanais, beginning at the corner of the Maeotian Lake, stretching northwards for fifteen days' journey, adjacent to the forested land of the Budinoi. Herodotus describes the Sarmatians' physical appearance as blond, stout and tanned, in short, pretty much as the Scythians and Thracians were seen by the other classical authors.[who?]
As seen in Roman depictions of Sarmatians they are of caucasian types[10]
Herodotus (4.110-117) gives a story of the Sauromatians' origin from an unfortunate marriage of a band of young Scythian men and a group of Amazons. In the story, some Amazons were captured in battle by Greeks in Pontus (northern Turkey) near the river Thermodon, and the captives were loaded into three boats. They overcame their captors while at sea, but were not able sailors. Their ships were blown north to the Maeotian Lake (the Sea of Azov) onto the shore of Scythia near the cliff region (today's southeastern Crimea). After encountering the Scythians and learning the Scythian language, they agreed to marry Scythian men, but only on the condition that they move away and not be required to follow the customs of Scythian women. According to Herodotus, the descendants of this band settled toward the northeast beyond the Tanais (Don) river and became the Sauromatians. Herodotus' account explains the origins of the Sarmatians' language as an "impure" form of Scythian and credits the unusual freedoms of Sauromatae women, including participation in warfare, as an inheritance from their supposed Amazon ancestors. Later writers[who?] refer to the "woman-ruled Sarmatae" (γυναικοκρατούμενοι). However, Herodotus' belief that the Sarmatians were descendants of mythological Amazons is very likely a fictional invention designed to explain certain idiosyncrasies of Sarmatian culture.
Hippocrates (De Aere, etc., 24) explicitly classes them as Scythian and describes them as "swarthy, short and fat, of a phlegmatic and relaxed temperament".
Strabo[citation needed] mentions the Sarmatians in a number of places, never saying very much about them. He uses both Sarmatai and Sauromatai, but never together, and never suggesting that they are different peoples. He often pairs Sarmatians and Scythians in reference to a series of ethnic names, never stating which is which, as though Sarmatian or Scythian could apply equally to them all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians

Diverse physical description do suggest tribes of different origin. On other hand, main source of Sarmatians seems to be Scythians. So, they probably were doninantly R1a, but among them could have been tribes with other dominant haplogroups. E.g. Alani were likely G dominant haplogroup, as Osetians who are considered to origin from them are G dominant as well, and as there are clues that G in Iberian peninsula might be related to Alans...

Antes on other hand might have been I2a2...Their tribal name seems to be derived from the name of Paplagonia Eneti, same as name of Veneti is derived from Eneti.... Pahplagonia Eneti were pushed out from Asia minor to Europe in times after Troyan wars... it is known that they dwelled in Thracia for a while and than settled in Adriatic...

....at the present time, they say, there are no Eneti to be seen in Paphlagonia, though some say that there is a village12 on the Aegialus13 ten schoeni14 distant from Amastris. But Zenodotus writes "from Enete,"15 and says that Homer clearly indicates the Amisus of today. And others say that a tribe called Eneti, bordering on the Cappadocians, made an expedition with the Cimmerians and then were driven out to the Adriatic Sea.16 But the thing upon which there is general agreement is, that the Eneti, to whom Pylaemenes belonged, were the most notable tribe of the Paphlagonians, and that, furthermore, these made the expedition with him in very great numbers, but, losing their leader, crossed over to Thrace after the capture of Troy, and on their wanderings went to the Enetian country,17 as it is now called. According to some writers, Antenor and his children took part in this expedition and settled at the recess of the Adriatic, as mentioned by me in my account of Italy.18 It is therefore reasonable to suppose that it was on this account that the Eneti disappeared and are not to be seen in Paphlagonia. [9]
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper...98:book=12:chapter=3&highlight=thracian,eneti
(Strabo)

Thus, in east Europe we do have large substratum of R1a due to Scythians and partially also due to Sarmatians.

East Europe is called Sarmatia, but that doesnot mean that all tribes living there are Sarmatian in origin. Same is with north part of west Europe that was called Germania, which doesnot imply that all tribes of Germania were Germanic in origin.

Notable example for this are tribes bearing names derived from Eneti: Vistula Veneti, Antes, and Adriatic Veneti. They live in Germania, on Adriatic coast and north of Caspian sea, which are probably settlements in 3 directions took by Eneti after crossing from Asia minor to Thrace.

Roman historian Pliny the Elder in Natural History (Liber IV: 96-97) mentions a tribe called Sarmatian Venedi (Latin Sarmatae Venedi). Subsequently, Tacitus in Germania (46) mentions Venethi; when comparing these to Germani and Sarmatae, however, Tacitus associates them with the former, stating that their habits are different from those of the Sarmatae.
In 2nd century AD, Ptolemy in his work De Geographia (III 5. 21.) mentions a people called Ouenedai along the southern shores of the Baltic, which he calls the Venedic Bay.
The historical document Tabula Peutingeriana, originating from the 4th century AD, separately mentions the Venedi along the Black Sea and the Venadi Sarmatae north of the Carpathians (see Gołąb 1992: 287-291, 295-296).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vistula_Veneti

in fact, if we look at variance of I2a2, it is not strongest among Serbs and Croats, but in Slovenia (wider area of Adriatic Veneti settlement) and north of Black sea (wider area of Antes settlement)

If we look for locations of I2a* we find only 2 clusters of it:
I2a*-P37.2-Alpine in Veneto matching position of Adriatic Veneti
I2a*-P37.2-France in Brittanny matching position of Celtic Veneti
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/I2aHapGroup/default.aspx?section=ymap

Who are Slavs? From what previous tribe(s) their origin?

in the land of Scythia to the westward dwells, first of all, the race of the Gepidae, surrounded by great and famous rivers. For the Tisia flows through it on the north and northwest, and on the southwest is the great Danube. On the east it is cut by the Flutausis, a swiftly eddying stream that sweeps whirling into the Ister's waters. (34) Within these rivers lies Dacia, encircled by the lofty Alps as by a crown. Near their left ridge, which inclines toward the north, and beginning at the source of the Vistula, the populous race of the Venethi dwell, occupying a great expanse of land. Though their names are now dispersed amid various clans and places, yet they are chiefly called Sclaveni and Antes. (35) The abode of the Sclaveni extends from the city of Noviodunum and the lake called Mursianus to the Danaster, and northward as far as the Vistula. They have swamps and forests for their cities. The Antes, who are the bravest of these peoples dwelling in the curve of the sea of Pontus, spread from the Danaster to the Danaper, rivers that are many days' journey apart. (36) But on the shore of Ocean, where the floods of the river Vistula empty from three mouths, the Vidivarii dwell, a people gathered out of various tribes. Beyond them the Aesti, a subject race, likewise hold the shore of Ocean.
Jordanes- origin and deeds of Goths
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~vandersp/Courses/texts/jordgeti.html

This suggests that early Slavs are of Veneti race, thus I2a2 dominantly. This is populous race, scattered in many tribes but chief are: Sclaveni and Antes.
Antes were living in Sarmatia and were considered Sarmatian. But their origin is same as the one for Adriatic Veneti and Vistula Veneti - they origin from Eneti.

Slavs originally appear in following areas
410px-Origins_500A.png

483px-Slavic_peoples_6th_century_historical_map.jpg

This, in fact matches pretty good spread of I2a2 with assumption that big part of west most wing of the spread did move to Balkans, which would match historically attested movmements of Serbs and Croats.

Haplogroup_I2a.gif

R1a on other hand shows no resemblance to shapes of early Slavs state...
Thus, this R1a comes from other peoples (of Scythian and Sarmatian origin) who were culturally assimilated in Slavs....

R1A_map.jpg

we can see people who dominantly originate from Veneti in same cluster in this picture:
Ystrclusters.png

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2010/11/clustering-of-european-y-strs.html
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ish7688voT0/TNLyVNbffHI/AAAAAAAAC0E/vsEQYTTobHQ/s1600/Ystrclusters.png

Veneti living both in Germania and Sarmatia, and Britanny, as well as related I2a1 present in south Europe could indicate that I2 was original carrier of proto-indo-European language...
which would explain weird saying that exists in Serbia "Speak Serbian so that the whole world understands you"

As for Croats, I think proto-Croats were Sarmatians, carriers of R1a with some G...they settled among Veneti in Carpathian mountains, accepted language, and formed big state of white Croatia...On other hand on the route between Adriatic Veneti and Celtic Veneti are Helvetti which could have been proto-Croat related people as well...

proto-Serbs are also still enigma...same as proto-Croats they could origin from Sarmatians who settled among Veneti, or could be Veneti in origin.
In addition they could have also been separrate group of people that Seneca calls Serians...

[369] Though kings should gather themselves together, both they who vex the scattered Scythians and they who dwell upon the Red Sea’s marge, who hold wide sway o’er the blood-red main with its gleaming pearls, they who leave unguarded26 the Caspian heights to the bold Sarmatians; though he strive against him, who dares on foot to tread the Danube’s waves27 and (whersoe’er they dwell,) the Serians28 for fleeces famous – ‘tis the upright mind that holds true sovereignty. He has no need of horses, none of arms and the coward weapons which the Parthian hurls from far when he feigns flight, no need of engines hurling rocks, stationed to batter cities to the ground. A king is he who has no fear; a king is he who shall naught desire. Such kingdom on himself each man bestows.
Seneca - Thyestes
27. i.e. the frozen surface.
28. The poet here conceives of the Serians as near by Scythia.

http://www.theoi.com/Text/SenecaThyestes.html

Engima that perhaps genetics can resolve by looking in deeper subclades is potential relation of Serbs to Serboi from Caspian mountains, and to Pashtun Sarbans... as Sarbans do perfectly match spread of haplogroup I in that area, making big part of the arc of Serians from northwest China (Seres) to India...

Seres (Gr. Σῆρες, Lat. Sērēs) was the ancient Greek and Roman name for the inhabitants of eastern Central Asia, but could also extend to a number of other Asian people in a wide arc from China to India.[1] It meant "of silk," or people of the "land where silk comes from." The country of the Seres was Serica.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seres

I.png

Pashtun_Confederacies_sm.jpg

Another enigma related to Serbs is that R1a in Serbia is ancient old, but not high in frequency... Compared to surroundings in Serbia is also unexpectedly high I1 component, and unexpectedly low R1b (more would be expected as previous inhabitants were Celtic Scordisci) , also there is some N which seems as displaced compared to suroundings that doesnot have N...

Only about 30% of Croats, 45% of Bosniaks, and 20% of Serbs belong to the haplogroup I which was the dominant (NOT the only one, but the dominant) Illyrian Y Chromosone.

The rest are foreign to the balkans, mostly slavic which belong to haplogroup R1a (which is found in most slavic countries like Russian and Poland)

Bosnians are the ones who posses the most indegenous Y DNA in the balkans (besides the people who were already indegenous like Albanians and Romanians) because about half of Bosnia is slavicized Illyrian Albanians.

Like the Serb said in a post a few above mine, the main Illyrian haplogroups were I2a2 and E1b which are 2 of the main 3 Albanian haplogroups, which proves it all.

For the Serbs this is not the exact data, I haplogroup in Serbia is 47,97%.

You can read:

Mirabal Sheyla et al,"Human Y-chromosome short tandem repeats: A tale of acculturation and migrations as mechanisms for the diffusion of agriculture in the Balkan Peninsula", American Journal of Physical Antropology, Volume 142, Issue 3, pages 380-390, July 2010

Serbia

I1: 7,8%
I2b1: 1,67%
I2a2: 38,5%

Total I: 47,97%

Other haplogroups Serbia:

R1a: 14,5%
R1b: 4,5%
E1b1b: 17,3%
J1: 0,6%
J2a: 3,3%
J2b: 1,7%
G2a: 2,2%
N: 3,3%
Q: 1,7%
H: 2,2%
L: 0,6%

Even take into account that Serbia populated by ethnic minorities (about 17%), it is clear that the I haplogroup is by far the dominant among the Serbs.

To whether the Illyrians originally I2 or E1b1b there are different opinions. On the Albanian sites can be seen that all the Illyrian tribes, including those in the region of today's Slavonia, considered as the ancestors of today's Albanians. Y-DNA researchs will actually be able to determine which tribes were I2 which E1b1b, but it is possible that the very notion of Illyrians be replaced, at least for part of the population (in the south of Western Balkan for E1b1b or in the north of Western Balkan for I2), and it appears a new term.

Wend vs. Vlakh

Thanks for this overwhelming amount of information, I learn a lot from you guys!

Now just a few points that I would like to clarify:

1) Veneds/Wends was the name used by the German tribesmen for all their Slavic neighbors. At the time of the German-Slavic coexistence on the fringes of the Roman Empire the Slavs and the Baltic populations were not yet separated, thus all the Balto-Slavic tribes were Wends for Germans. This word is probably a germanized derivative from Anty=Antes.

So who do we find among the descendants of these Wends? Lusatian Sorbs who call themselves Luzhckie Serby (yes they do) and whose Y haplotype is mainly R1a despite their long coexistence with their German neighbours.

And where did these Veneds/Wends/Anty live? Mainly on the territory of the modern day Eastern Germany where R1a is a very frequent Y haplotype.

Thus it looks that R1a was indeed the marker haplotype of the Slavic populations at the time of the Wends as it is now (in ancient cities of Russia: Suzdal, Jaroslavl', Vladimir R1a amounts to nearly 80% of the male population).

2) Welshes was the name used by the German tribesmen to describe their romanized neighbors, usually Celts, but also other populations acculturated and romanized under the rule of the Roman Empire.

3)Vlasy/Vlakhy/Vlachs/Valakhy is the term derived by the Slavs from the German's Welshes to describe the non-latin or non-greek citizens of Roman Empire and Byzantium with which the Slavs had a frequent contact in the border territories between Slavic lands and the Empires territory.

4) At the time of Slavic migration to the ravaged and depopulated lands of the Roman and Byzantine empires the romanized citizens of the border provinces were mainly of Celtic, Dacian, Thracian, Illyrian ancestry. So the Vlakhy are then these indigenous populations which have been romanized and then put into (forced) contact with the Slavic tribesmen which arrived to their lands. That is why the Romanian populations of present day Romania and Moldova (to name just these two territories) were called Valakhy in Russian even in XIX century and Moldavia was called Valakhia.

And what is the territory on which I2 haplogroup is the most frequently found? It is the territory on which lived the so-called Vlakhy= the territory of the romanized populations conquered and colonized by the Slavs.

So R1a is the marker for Slavs and I2 is the marker for Vlachs.

And Balkanic people are very often Vlakhs, which have acquired Slavic language and culture from the Slavic settlers during the fall of the Roman-Byzantine Empire.

Finally, in my humble opinion there is really nothing wrong with being a Vlach, these peoples are the natives of the lands which they inhabit now, they had a great and tumultuous history and they deserve a great deal of respect.Of course it is even better when you are a slavized Vlakh, this way you combine the best of both... :grin:

1) Veneds/Wends was the name used by the German tribesmen for all their Slavic neighbors. At the time of the German-Slavic coexistence on the fringes of the Roman Empire the Slavs and the Baltic populations were not yet separated, thus all the Balto-Slavic tribes were Wends for Germans. This word is probably a germanized derivative from Anty=Antes.

So who do we find among the descendants of these Wends? Lusatian Sorbs who call themselves Luzhckie Serby (yes they do) and whose Y haplotype is mainly R1a despite their long coexistence with their German neighbours.

And where did these Veneds/Wends/Anty live? Mainly on the territory of the modern day Eastern Germany where R1a is a very frequent Y haplotype.

Thus it looks that R1a was indeed the marker haplotype of the Slavic populations at the time of the Wends as it is now (in ancient cities of Russia: Suzdal, Jaroslavl', Vladimir R1a amounts to nearly 80% of the male population).

I agree large part of R1a was Slavic, especially ancestors of todays Western Slavs. I was trying to determine the correct position of this people in the antiquity but I was misleaded by those who ascribed Przeworsk culture to Germanic Vandals. This is why I placed R1a more to the North in one of the earlier posts. Later I investigated this further and I believe that Vandals may have been a part of this culture, but main bearers seem to be R1a people. So in general this point of yours seems Ok. This also means R1a was between Germanic tribes and I2a2a-Dinaric in the first centuries of common era.

But your conclusion about Vlachs and I2a2 is very week in arguments. In contains neither genetic analysis, nor essential historical determinants. That is no way to prove what was the homeland of I2a2a Dinaric, or was it Slavic or not. I'm a bit tired of repeating the same sentences so I will leave you with what you want to believe. There is a number of people here and in some other forums understanding the story about I2a2a Dinaric and it is enough for me.

Thanks for this overwhelming amount of information, I learn a lot from you guys!

Now just a few points that I would like to clarify:

2) Welshes was the name used by the German tribesmen to describe their romanized neighbors, usually Celts, but also other populations acculturated and romanized under the rule of the Roman Empire.

3)Vlasy/Vlakhy/Vlachs/Valakhy is the term derived by the Slavs from the German's Welshes to describe the non-latin or non-greek citizens of Roman Empire and Byzantium with which the Slavs had a frequent contact in the border territories between Slavic lands and the Empires territory.

4) At the time of Slavic migration to the ravaged and depopulated lands of the Roman and Byzantine empires the romanized citizens of the border provinces were mainly of Celtic, Dacian, Thracian, Illyrian ancestry. So the Vlakhy are then these indigenous populations which have been romanized and then put into (forced) contact with the Slavic tribesmen which arrived to their lands. That is why the Romanian populations of present day Romania and Moldova (to name just these two territories) were called Valakhy in Russian even in XIX century and Moldavia was called Valakhia.

And what is the territory on which I2 haplogroup is the most frequently found? It is the territory on which lived the so-called Vlakhy= the territory of the romanized populations conquered and colonized by the Slavs.

So R1a is the marker for Slavs and I2 is the marker for Vlachs.

And Balkanic people are very often Vlakhs, which have acquired Slavic language and culture from the Slavic settlers during the fall of the Roman-Byzantine Empire.

Finally, in my humble opinion there is really nothing wrong with being a Vlach, these peoples are the natives of the lands which they inhabit now, they had a great and tumultuous history and they deserve a great deal of respect.Of course it is even better when you are a slavized Vlakh, this way you combine the best of both... :grin:

Zenati
I respect your thinking, certainly with some additions and clarifications.

If Proto Dacians are I2a your opinions make sense.

One of problems is that there are thinkings that Dacians are E1b1b origin.

But let's just assume that the Dacians are I2a origin.

Proto Serbs are I2 also.

Dacians came under the romanization and Serbs came under slavicisation.

Means that if the Dacians and the Serbs would have the same origin, once upon a time Dacians and Serbs spoke the same or similar language, which was close neither Latin nor Slavic.

I people have come to the Balkans from Anatolia 25,000 years ago.

It is clear that original I language has nothing to do with Slavic and Roman languages.

It would be extraordinary to find old I Language.

A possible way is to study Vincians and other old Balcan cultures if DNA tests show they were I haplogroups.

Another way is to research words of familiar languages, it does not matter whether they are alive or not, like the Etruscan, people who are presumed to have belonged to haplogroup I.

HAVE anyone ever thought that I2a could be the thracian one,
The big exist in romania moldova and croatia and even south, coulb be by the EX-THRACIAN empire that spread from adriatic to pontus and ucraine?
i mainly believe and suggest to searchers to search that propability,
it is more logic that I2a is the thracian than the slavic one,
besides according to myth Illyros went to illyria from greek Theba and illyrians were linguistic more similar to proto-Greeks than slavian.
on the other hand the quite enough E varietes in greece and among kossyfopedio and north albania proves that the myth is right and illyrians probably are the today north albanians and not the dinaric.
and modern arcailogists beliave that Thracians expand from adriatic to black sea and even far to moldova,
the propability is stronger when we realize that ancient greeks consider thracian the Dacians in romania.

HAVE anyone ever thought that I2a could be the thracian one,
The big exist in romania moldova and croatia and even south, coulb be by the EX-THRACIAN empire that spread from adriatic to pontus and ucraine?
i mainly believe and suggest to searchers to search that propability,
it is more logic that I2a is the thracian than the slavic one,
besides according to myth Illyros went to illyria from greek Theba and illyrians were linguistic more similar to proto-Greeks than slavian.
on the other hand the quite enough E varietes in greece and among kossyfopedio and north albania proves that the myth is right and illyrians probably are the today north albanians and not the dinaric.
and modern arcailogists beliave that Thracians expand from adriatic to black sea and even far to moldova,
the propability is stronger when we realize that ancient greeks consider thracian the Dacians in romania.

iapetoc

There is the theory that the Serbs were Thracians.

If Thracians were I2a it is much easier to prove.

Old Serbs were not Slavs and it can be found much evidence for it.

For example, Triballi and Moesians were Serbs and they were not Slavs, there are opinions that Triballi were one tribe of Thracians.

Iapetoc, your idea can be very real.

Today I2a in the Balkan is mostly in Romania (data differ), Serbia (about 1500000 men) and Bosnia and Herzegovina (about 1100000 men).

iapetoc

There is the theory that the Serbs were Thracians.

If Thracians were I2a it is much easier to prove.

For example, Triballi and Moesians were Serbs and they were not Slavs, there are opinions that Triballi were one tribe of Thracians.

Iapetoc, your idea can be very real.

greek history and mythology can help us a lot,
also studies from greece and byzantium,
for example the vlachs and the wallachins,
allthough we see a connection its fake
cause the vlachs come from latin village which in byzantium became villach-ion -> villach-> vlach,
in greece we have a lot of vlach but we determine them according their origin moesian-vlachs, alban-vlachs bulgar-vlachs romano-vlachs
most of them speak big% latin due to ex roman empire, but also have words and syntax different according their origin.
that makes different approach to the vlachs from the wallachs

about dacians Erodotus considers them the true archegonus thracians,
similarity about the land of thrachians and the land that I2a is spread and
illyrians according the ancient Greeks and the E-V13, E1b1b proves that the illyrians are the mountain albanians, and the ex yugo and romano-moldavian are more close to thracian, although the highest rate is in dalmatia,
numbers can be change the more the research and plural of elements grow
but so easy the spreading.

Zenati
Proto Serbs are I2 also.
keep in mind that that is an assumption... they might have been R1a dominant, or even I1, or E-V13... we do not know what was ratio between proto-Serbs and previous inhabitants in areas they settled in Balkans

Dacians came under the romanization and Serbs came under slavicisation.

again big assumption!!

Serbs might have been the source of Slavic language and culture...

e.g. early medieval manuscript of Bavarian geographer claims that state of Zeruiani was so big that all Slavs origin from them... Schafarik interpreted this as Zeruiani = Serbs. In fact, this is in correspondence with Seneca's notes about Serians...

Means that if the Dacians and the Serbs would have the same origin, once upon a time Dacians and Serbs spoke the same or similar language, which was close neither Latin nor Slavic.
Seneca talks about Serians who rule over Dacians. Thus, those are different people.

I people have come to the Balkans from Anatolia 25,000 years ago.
again assumption...
we do not really know when I2a2 came to Balkan...
and if you talk about arrival of I than it is not about Balkan but about Europe, as there is no evidence that haplogroup I upon entering Europe actually settled Balkan... they might have just passed through it and settled Scandinavia...that would be first wave of I related to I1... arrival of I2 I would relate to Eneti being kicked out from Asia minor to Europe...

It is clear that original I language has nothing to do with Slavic and Roman languages.
really?
it is not clear at all... it is just an assumption....

It would be extraordinary to find old I Language.
perhaps proto-Indo european?

Another way is to research words of familiar languages, it does not matter whether they are alive or not, like the Etruscan, people who are presumed to have belonged to haplogroup I.
Etruscans are not likely at all to be dominantly I haplogroup...

would you bother to name at least one evidence?

nope, Triballi and Moesians were Balkan people...whether they might have been same as proto-Serbs is at the moment in area of pure speculations...

Today I2a in the Balkan is mostly in Romania (data differ), Serbia (about 1500000 men) and Bosnia and Herzegovina (about 1100000 men).
you forgot Croatia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Macedonia, central Ukraine, east and west Hungary...

I2a2 in Romania is perfectly explainable by spread of Slavs...
in fact, it is well known that until few centuries ago, many smaller areas in Romania were Slavic speaking... that is because Slavs settled massively throughout Romania, and for long time Slavic languages existed in parallel with Romanian, same as in west Balkan language of Vlachs coexisted with Slavic for long time (and it still does in east Serbia, and I think also in Macedonia). In some areas, Slavic prevailed, in others Romanian, depending on who was majority. That is natural process....

I2a2 in Romania is perfectly explainable by spread of Slavs...
in fact, it is well known that until few centuries ago, many smaller areas in Romania were Slavic speaking... that is because Slavs settled massively throughout Romania, and for long time Slavic languages existed in parallel with Romanian, same as in west Balkan language of Vlachs coexisted with Slavic for long time (and it still does in east Serbia, and I think also in Macedonia). In some areas, Slavic prevailed, in others Romanian, depending on who was majority. That is natural process....

i have my arquements to that, according history, and as we know at that times history is more clear and scintific than a myth, maybe not as today,
when slavs as serbs came the problem was to pas or not donau (dunav) river. the permit to pass after many fight means a settlement and not a genocide of older,
also according byzantines in romania south, we dont have a big settlement,
instead more south we have the bulgarian invasion,
following history of East Roman empire we realiza that I2a is probably more close to ancient thracians than the illyrians,
the propability BECAMES MORE SECURE WITH THE ARCAIOLOGIACAL REVEALS IN BULGARIA,
the chance that thracian assimilated the romano-latin language, in strong roman-byzantine areas and the slavian one where invasions were serbia-bulgaria, sounds more realistic, than the illyric aproach,
the illyrians were tight to greek civilization than the north thracians,
the expand and grow of illyrians its same times with the greek, and a lot of illyrians lived in ancient greece, fact that can be explained by the big E1b1b1b that exist in greece and albania,
to that i must remind you that greeks made kingom even to india, but the greek genies are almost rare there today, that is why the greeks there were a rulers class and not majority of people.
may i remind you Erodotus names the dacian thracians,
and ancient makedonians push thrasians north and east, and also allied and assimilate paeonians,
if we look at history, the propability that I2a2 is the ancient thracian and serbs and bulgars were more a class of rulers, than a big devastasion, its more probable than the approach that I2a is an illyrian-slavic,
for the many of you i suggest to read greek, byzantine roman history,
and visit or contact with bulgarian and romanian arcaiologist to what their axis(αξις) brought to light

E-V13 can also found in greeks and considered as a proto greek, (ancient theba, arcadian-corintean- lellekes tribes) and invade to illyria by Illyros king of theba father of Dardanosmuch before the ancient battle of troy approach to 1600-1800BC

about moesia may i remind you that Greek revolution started In Moesia and not in Greece as a byzantine revolt, moesians and wallachians and moldovan consider their nation more relative to byzantive and greek than the slavian,
your approach doesn't make sense according to greek-east roman history,
dacians even today believe that they are ancient thracians, that is also strong in bulgaria, the roman approach of seneca as a west roman only troubles can make,
for example romans name achaia a territory that has little to do with greek achaia,
named makedonia a teritory that has little to do with greek Makedonia
NAMED ILLYRICUM a territory that HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH ILLYRIA, nad more has to do with Thracians

the problem is that although we have evidence about thracians the living lingua and origin is still under hard explore,
the propability Ia2 goes to thracian gives the E-V13 to the illyrians,
and opoosite, the probability of Ia2 goes to illyrians then the E-V13 goes to tharcians,
Here the lingua can help, cause both high ratio haplogroups (Ia2, E-V13) are near to ancient illyria and ancient thrace, but they are not so relative between them.
remember the Scordisci nation that for romans were considered celts.
who were they? ancient serbs? or ancient scodrans(albanians)?
the more light to that, the more we get better assumption

nope, Triballi and Moesians were Balkan people...whether they might have been same as proto-Serbs is at the moment in area of pure speculations...

how yes no
I will answer your every sentence from the post, but first I start of this.

Iapetoc is right that should be read Greek, Byzantine and other sources.

There are many, and many sources that confirm that the Tribals are Serbs and probably Moesians and other tribes (for which in turn can be connected with the Thracians, and I think that Illyrians were E1b1b, but their end point in the north was the middle of Montenegro; Roman province of Illyricum should not be identified with the territory of the Illyrians E1b1b).

I cite the translation of a text from the Belgrade newspaper Politika:

Tribals (lat. Triballi) in Serbian blood

They were one of the most powerful nations of Europe, and their continuity in our area runs from the thirteenth century BC

How about the Byzantine historians who say the Serbs are Tribals, and their rulers to the archons tribals? Eustathius, Bishop of Thessalonica, who lived in the 13th century when he described the arrival of Nemanja in Thessaloniki, announces it as "a great Archon of Tribals". Theodore Metohit for King Milutin says "the ruler of Tribals", while Alexius Lambin same ruler as "Archon Moesians and Tribals." Theodore Hirtakin Serbia called Tribalia and patriarch Filotej, who lived in the fourteenth century, Serbs called "Tribals and Dalmatians".

Information that follows is another in a series of confirmations that there are the connection Tribals and Serbs. Old country Nemanjićes, Zahumlje and Travunia (Herzegovina), has long been called Trivalia (Trivalija). Name Herzegovina appears as Trivalija or Tribunija and Travan. In Trivalia is, near Trebinje, and the monastery Tvrdoš whose first church built at the time of Constantine the Great, and the monastery has come to life later in the sixth century.

History of Tribals starts relatively early, with a period of transition from Bronze to the Iron Age, approximate 1,300 years BC. About them speak in fragments, and the earliest historians, above all the Greeks, in today's Serbia, or in the Morava, the Danube and Pannonia talk about Dacians, Tribals and Sigines. This is the period around the sixth century BC.

Territory in which Tribals lived in the fifth century BC, according to Herodotus, located west of the river Istkar in Bulgaria. Among other things, noted the following: "From the land of the Illyrian river flows northward and flows into Angro Tribalia river valley in the Brong and Brong joins the Istar." It is obvious that this is the South Morava River and the Great Morava River which flows into the Danube. In this way Tribalia valleys associated with the Danube and Morava.

Živojin Andrejić in his book "The Kings of Tribal" concludes that it is very strange that so many people as Illyrians, Thracians, Getty, Tribals and Moesians disappeared from the Balkans. Easily they could be beaten, and even more astonishing that the great struggles during the migration of people in this country does not mention. Their disappearance is totally unnoticed. Slavic wave of immigrants could not have been so numerous. And maybe share of Tribals, these ancient Serbs in our (Serbian) biological origin, is very significant, perhaps even higher than the Slavic. (We know in Serbia today there are I haplogroup 47% and R1a haplogroup 14%).

Nemanjićes, which the Greeks called archons Tribals, their genealogy in Serbian chronicles and genealogy of the Middle Ages performed by the Roman emperor Licinius (Likiniye) and Constantine the Great. Our sources for Licinius say he was a Serb, although little is known about him. In Karlovac genealogy writes: "Glagoljut truth Licinius was born a Serb, wise as Greek, and all served Serbian idol Dagon... Constantine dragged toward himself emperor Licinius of Serbian, he gave him his sister for wife Konstanze great Emperor Constantine."

Živojin Andrejić in his book "The Kings of Tribal" concludes that ....

I just checked who is Zivojin Andrejic...
http://sr.wikipedia.org/sr-el/%D0%96%D0%B8%D0%B2%D0%BE%D1%98%D0%B8%D0%BD_%D0%90%D0%BD%D0%B4%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%98%D0%B8%D1%9B

He has no education in history... he studied BSc program for teacher in art and finished it in 1977, and recently (2003) got MSc in history of art at University of Kosovska Mitrovica (??)... he works as a teacher in primary school...

no offence, but I would not trust a word of what someone with such a background publishes in his books about history... that is equivalent of you or me or most people from forum who are just hobbiest in history, trying to write book about history... so, even though there might be grain of truth in what he tells, he is defiently not credible source on those matters....

to compare it, it is as if a construction worker wants to write a book about quantum physics... he can do it of course, he can even publish it if he finds publisher and market, but what can be the quality and trustworthiness of that work?

work of Greeks authors he cites are much later in history than times of Thracians... Greeks may have at some points in history called Serbs Triballi, as people who live in what they know as Triballia, same as in Austro-Hungary Serbs were sometimes in offical documents called Illyrians.... but that doesnot prove anything as both references are much later than last metion of Illyrians and Triballi...

this, of course doesnot exclude possibility that Thracians were proto-Slavic in origin...as they did speak satem variant of IE....

I just checked who is Zivojin Andrejic...
http://sr.wikipedia.org/sr-el/Живојин_Андрејић

He has no education in history... he studied BSc program for teacher in art and finished it in 1977, and recently (2003) got MSc in history of art at University of Kosovska Mitrovica (??)... he works as a teacher in primary school...

no offence, but I would not trust a word that someone with such a background publishes in his books about history... that is equivalent of you or me or most people from forum who are just hobbiest in history, trying to write book about history... so, even though there might be grain of truth in what he tells, he is defiently not credible source on those matters.... to compare it is as if construction worker wants to write a book about quantum physics... he can do it of course, if he finds publisher and market, but what can be the quality of it?

We're not talking about him but about Greek, Byzantine and other sources which linking Tribals (and Moesians and other tribes) with Serbs.

As Iapetoc writes that one should read the Greek, Byzantine and other sources.

After all, long ago spotted the similarity of words Thracians (Tračani) and Rascians (Raščani).

After all, long ago spotted the similarity of words Thracians (Tračani) and Rascians (Raščani).

yes, I agree there that it is very likely that word Rascians is derived from word for Thracians.

In fact, it is other way around, word Thracians is probably corruption of word Rascians when trying to write it down in Greek language.

And word Rascians is also likely real origin of national name of Russians (legend of Viking Rus tribe as origin of their name is likely flawed as they relate word Rus to what was part of tribe of Varangians that lived among Russians..)

in fact, when we speak of Greeks, I believe that much of history is also encoded in their mythology...
Their gods of winds are Anemoi (in latin same gods are known as Venti = winds). Most important among those gods are Eurus (god of east wind), Zephyrus (west wind), and Carpus (son of Zephyrus). Zephyrus is said to have been born in caves of Thrace.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemoi

I map that legend directly to Russians, Serbs and Croats (as child nation derived from Serbs)...

if you also look into name used for Slavs by Germanic people - it is Wends, which is again closely related to words for winds in germanic languages....

so, possible order of events is that (V)Eneti settle Thrace after being kicked out from Asia minor (after Troyan war and some war expedition they undertook in coalition with Cimmerians - which seems to correspond in time and location with conquests of sea peoples). From Thrace they spread towards Adriatic (Adriatic Veneti), towards Vistula (Vistula Veneti), and towards area north of Black sea (Sarmatian Venedi / Antes). During that spread they probably absorbed much of R1a that was already there...as R1a is ancient old in Serbia, Bosnia and Macedonia (see work of Klyosov) and had spread from there towards east Europe and Asia before I2a2 Veneti moved to east Europe... Cimmerians might correspond to later Sarmatians...

According to Greek sources Thracians are most numerous people in the world, according to Jordanes much later Slavs belong to populous race of Veneti, that again fits well with number of Slavic people existing today and area they covered...

Btw. regarding your mention of historical record that in some point of time Serb tribes were having Dagon as chief God. Well, Philistines (Palestinans) are likely offspring of Pelast (one of sea peoples that might be related to Pelasgians of Balkan). Their God was also Dagon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagon

Pelasgians are pre-Greek settlers of Greece. However, I have impression that they might have been dominantly E-V13, which is also pretty high in Thrace... while spread of I2a2 seems better suited to later Veneto-Illyrian tribes... high variance and low frequency of E-V13 tells us that it probably was on Adriatic before I2a2 arrived there... thus Pelasgians might have lived in both Dalmatia and Greece before areas were settled by Illyrians and Greeks....

and additional explanation that might be interesting for Iapetoc, who seems to be Albanian from Greece...

Dardanians, from whom Albanians (Arbaninans in medieval Serbian documents) might dominantly origin, are however probably only the very latest wave of E-V13 from Asia minor that settled Balkan rather recently...

in time of Troyan war, Dardanians lived in area of Troad...Teucers were original Troyans, but Dardanians also settled in wider area of Troad... Homer makes strict distinction between Troyans and Dardanians... main hero of Dardanians was Aeneas and many rulers of Roman empire claim to descend from him...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dardanians_(Trojan)

Last edited:
yes, I agree there that it is very likely that word Rascians is derived from word for Thracians.

In fact, it is other way around, word Thracians is probably corruption of word Rascians when trying to write it down in Greek language.

And word Rascians is also likely real origin of national name of Russians (legend of Viking Rus tribe as origin of their name is likely flawed as they relate word Rus to what was part of tribe of Varangians that lived among Russians..)

in fact, when we speak of Greeks, I believe that much of history is also encoded in their mythology...
Their gods of winds are Anemoi (in latin same gods are known as Venti = winds). Most important among those gods are Eurus (god of east wind), Zephyrus (west wind), and Carpus (son of Zephyrus). Zephyrus is said to have been born in caves of Thrace.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemoi

I map that legend directly to Russians, Serbs and Croats (as child nation derived from Serbs)...

if you also look into name used for Slavs by Germanic people - it is Wends, which is again closely related to words for winds in germanic languages....

so, possible order of events is that (V)Eneti settle Thrace after being kicked out from Asia minor (after Troyan war and some war expedition they undertook in coalition with Cimmerians - which seems to correspond in time and location with conquests of sea peoples). From Thrace they spread towards Adriatic (Adriatic Veneti), towards Vistula (Vistula Veneti), and towards area north of Black sea (Sarmatian Venedi / Antes). During that spread they probably absorbed much of R1a that was already there...as R1a is ancient old in Serbia, Bosnia and Macedonia and had spread from there towards east Europe and Asia before I2a2 Veneti moved to east Europe... Cimmerians might correspond to later Sarmatians...

According to Greek sources Thracians are most numerous people in the world, according to Jordanes much later Slavs belong to populous race of Veneti, that again fits well with number of Slavic people existing today and area they covered...

how yes no
There is no doubt that the Serbs are old Balkan nation.

And if Iapetoc is right, Y DNA testing of Balkan people in the past can determine, it is possible that the Serbs, Dacians and the Thracian have the same origin, and the Thracians are carriers I (I2) haplogroup.

However, the problem is not with the I haplogroup, or with the Serbs, with the Dacians, with the Thracians, Illyrians etc.

For example, for Illyrians can be determined by how far they stretched their territory, about that I will write more in next posts (Iapetoc is right, not to be confused Roman Illyricum as a territory with E1b1b Illyrians).

It is clear that the Serbs and today's Slavic peoples are totally different backgrounds, Serbs belong to the clan I who came from Anatolia to the Balkans about 25,000 years ago, and the Slavic peoples belong to the clan of R1a who arrived to Europe and the Balkans from Central Asia about 10,000 years ago.

The fundamental problem is R1a, whether they originally can be or not Slavs, since the big part of R1a today is considered as Slavs, and other related issues.

There are a number of contradictory hypotheses and controversies regarding R1a and Slavs that researshers can print hundreds of books and still would not prove nothing.

So, while some things are not linked and do not prove, the safest is that Serbs are treated:

completely separately from the Slavs,
as carriers I haplogroups,
the Balkan natives,
probably as the Thracians,
associated with the Balkan tribes reported by Greek, Byzantine and other sources.

If we do so we are on secure foundations, as soon as we stepped on the Slavs and R1a are entering an extremely complex and contradictory matter where anything and nothing can be prove.

Garrick you are posting some not proven theory
maybe we Serbs came from Mars...

how yes no
There is no doubt that the Serbs are old Balkan nation.
of course there is enormous doubt about that...
do not try to make ideology and religion from science...

And if Iapetoc is right, Y DNA testing of Balkan people in the past can determine, it is possible that the Serbs, Dacians and the Thracian have the same origin, and the Thracians are carriers I (I2) haplogroup.

Iapetoc is just Albanian trying to steer your views towards E-V13 being Illyrian and thus Albanian...they need proof of that in order to claim right on all lands of Illyria... that is their ideology that is supposed to keep fueling brainwashed Albanian youth with hate towards their non-Albanian neighbours in order to be ready to die in new wars against their neigbours...

I do not say that E-V13 is not related to Illyrians, as it might indeed be the case if I2a2 came to Illyria with Serbs and Croats or with Pannonians who settled emptied areas of Illyria (Dacians were a bit pissed off during their wars with Celts so they did thorough ethnical cleansing of Illyria, later Pannoni settled there...but were still called Illyrians as they inhabeted Illyria) many centuries before 7th century supposed arrival of Serbs and Croats......

btw. did you notice the sneaky remark about Scordisci being related to Scodrans of Albania...while there is no tribe of Scodrans, there is town of Skadar on border of Montenegro and Albania, that is by Albanians written as Scodra...

Scordisci lived in Serbia, Voivodina, Pannonia...on south all the way to Sar planaina (mountain in corner of Kosovo, Albania and Macedonia, that is named after them)... closet match among all tribal names to the name of Sar mountain is Serians....

however, Scordisci were Celtic... but R1b in area is minimal in Europe...
Scordisci are a puzzle as well... knowing that Greek wrote Slavs as Sclaveni, and mixed occasionally b and d sounds, I would not be surprised if Scordisci is corrupted version of Sorbisci...however, there is still Celtic ending... so we might think of celticized branch of proto-Serbs.... same as in Brittany Celtic branch of Veneti lived...

but that ios just an idea... not even a theory or hypothesys...
truth is we have no clue who Scordisci were, and what is history of proto-Serbs....
we can only make theories, but a theory should never be claimed to be absolute truth...

It is clear that the Serbs and today's Slavic peoples are totally different backgrounds, Serbs belong to the clan I who came from Anatolia to the Balkans about 25,000 years ago, and the Slavic peoples belong to the clan of R1a who arrived to Europe and the Balkans from Central Asia about 10,000 years ago.
I think you are wrong...
look at the maps I posted...

early Slavs were as Jordanes claims of Veneti race... so, in my opinion, they were I2a2 dominant... I think that perhaps I2a2 Veneti spread from Thrace in Adriatic (where Illyrians also similar and probably of same origin as Veneti), in Sarmatia (Sarmatian Venedi that is Antes), and around Vistula (Vistula Veneti). R1a was in all these areas before them as it origins from Serbia and has spread via Scythians and Sarmatians...Scythians were broken in pieces by Sarmatians, Sarmatians by Huns, Avars and others... so their remains just joined Veneti (who spoke same or similar satem version of IE languages) which caused fast spread of new nation called Slavs... but maps of I2a2 shows this spread while maps of R1a do not, which seems to indicate that core of early Slavs were I2a2 Veneti

who were proto-Serbs is hard to tell.... they might have been R1a as well, since Sorbs of Lusatia are among most dominant R1a people in the world....

So, while some things are not linked and do not prove, the safest is that Serbs are treated:

completely separately from the Slavs,
as carriers I haplogroups,
the Balkan natives,
probably as the Thracians,
associated with the Balkan tribes reported by Greek, Byzantine and other sources.
nope, that is way too many assumptions...

This thread has been viewed 437531 times.

Back