modern gaelic(s) and possible cognates or loanwords (play)

MOESAN

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
more celtic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b - L21/S145*
mtDNA haplogroup
H3c
it is just for the pleasure - some evident enough links between celtic words
on left: gaelic (irish, + sometimes scotland gaelic); in front: translation in english + between crochets: breton and welsh, rarely cornish, and in italics, latine or romance words or others languages words (I-E!) with apparent link - it is not a scholar work but it could help people not very used to celtic languages: by example the albanian speakers who are looking for comparisons, like my friend Kamani - they could see the more common changes between gaelic and brythonic, and other languages of Europe... just for the fun and it is free!
&: cornish is between breton and welsh, but shows a very astonishing evolution: -d in final position is turned into -s /s/ --> /z/ in long syllabes - sometimes before endings beginning with vowels the words of this kind hesitates between -s- /z/ and -j /dzh/ (english pronounciation)

-oireacht-ery, -ing, ... (-erezh, -wraeth)
a-mach, a-muighout(side) (er-maes, i ma(e)s)
a-nochd (Alban?)to night, this evening (hennoazh, nuit, noch, noite, noct-)
ab abbott (abad, abad, abas, abbé, abbato...)
abairto say (eme, ebe ? )
abhainnriver (aven/aon, afon)
adhradh, aoradhadoration (azeuliñ, addoli, adorer)
aibîripe (azw, aeddfed?)
aigeadacid (acide)
aimsirwheather (amzer)
aingealangel (ael, angel, ange(l))
ainmname (anw, enw, nom, nome, nomine, naam, namn, onom-)
ainmhî, ainmhidhanimal (aneval, anifail, animal)
airon (àr*, ar # war)
altôir, altairaltar (aoter, allor, autel)
ancaire, acairanchor
aontuaccord (a du = « un tu »)
àr >> èirleachcarnage (aer*, aer(-fa))
ardhill (aod, aot, allt, haut, alto?)
armweapon (arm, arf, arme, arma)
asalass (asen, asyn, âne, osiel...)
ascaillarmpit (askell, asgell)
bàbôgdoll (babig, baban, baby)
bacadhrestraining (bac'h, bach)
bachallcrook (bac'h-krog? )
baghbay (bae, bae, baie, baia...)
bailbhedumbness (balp, balb-utier)
bailgean, bailgfhionnpie-bald, whitebellied (bolc'h + gwenn)
bàim, bàthto drown (beuziñ, boddi?)
bainbhyoung pig (banw, banw)
baird, bardbard (barzh, bardd, barde)
balbhmute (balp, balbutier)
balla, fallawall (vall << vallum?)
barcbark 2 (ship) (barque, barca)
barrtip, top, end, extremity (barr)
bata 1stick (bazh, >> battre?)
bata 2boat (bateau, boot, boot)
bathachcowhouse (beudy? booth?)
bathadhdrowning (beuziñ, boddi)
beachbee
beachanwasp (bee)
beaglittle (bihan, bychan)
beannachdblessing (bennozh, bendith, béni, bénédict, benedetto)
beannaichto bless, to salute, to hail (bennozh, bendith)
beartact (berzh? >> ober berzh)
beàscustom (boas?)
beirto bear
beôalive (bew, byw – to be, bio)
beoirbeer (bir/bier, birra)
beol, béal/beullip, mouth (bab-ine?)
bia, biadh, beatha/biodhfood (boued, bwyd, bôs)
bideach (Norzh Alban?)little, small (bidoc'h?)
biletree (bill, bille)
binnmelodious, harmonious (binioù?)
biolar, biolairwater-cress (beler, berwr)
biorspit (bir, bêr)
bithexistance, beeing (buhez, buchedd)
bladhmflame (flamme)
blastaste (blas, blas)
blastasweet (blasus, blasus)
blàth 1flower (bleuñv/bleu, blodau, fleur, flora, bloom, bloem, blum, blom)
bliain, bliadhainyear (bloaz, blwyddyn/blynydd-)
blonagfat (n.) (bloneg, bloneg!)

the other words I noted will follow...

Gealic and Brythonic language are most related to each other right. and do u know if CeltIberian is most related to Gaulic languages or Insular Celtic. I was thinking maybe the Italic Celtic thing doesn't exist. Would if Gauls really spoke a language more related to Italic languages than Insular Celtic and we assume because of history it is more related to Insular Celtic. Because R1b S28 and Urnfield culture unite Italic languages and Gaulic. why did Italic languages stay separate and exist in the same culture as Celtic ones for over 1,000 years that doesn't make sense. That would destroy the whole idea of Celtic and really unite it to be Italo Celtic or a new name or maybe make Italic languages apart of the Celtic language family which would piss of ancient Romans if u said they were Celts or Italo Celts and most connected with Gauls but its kind of true i don't know about language.

Are Celtic languages broken down into Insular and continental or is it unknown what Continental is or exactly what Gauls spoke. I don't know how true this is but i have heard i think from the head of this website that when Ceasar fought the Gauls they could understand some Latin and Romans had to write and speak in Greek so the Gauls couldn't understand them. It just doesn't make sense Gauls descend from Urnfield their signature Y DNa haplogroup R1b S28 same with Italic's. Maybe R1b S28 and Urnfield were originally Italic and adopted languages of Celts they conquered in France because R1b Df27 and R1b L21 would have already been in France before R1b S28.

La Tene Gauls that sacked Rome and ravaged Italy in 390bc called their chief Brennus. Same with La Tene Gauls named by Greeks Galatians who ravaged across southeastern Europe and sacked and attacked many Greek cities in 200'sbc. I saw that the word for king in Welsh is Brenin and the word royal means something like that i know it is connected. I wonder of Brenin or Breenus or whatever were high ranking people in Social Castes in alot of ancient Celtic societies i was thinking it might be connected to the Brahmins who are high ranking in Hindi Indo aryan caste system. I know that Indo Iranian languages spread out of north Russia starting 5,000ybp both are Indo European but separated for a very long time over 6,000 years.

Do u think the Gealic and Gaulic those names might be related if they were names the real people gave themselves. Kind of like how two separate groups of Indo Iranians one that went to India and other to Iran called themselves Aryans. I bet Sycthains also had a name for themselves that sounded something like Aryan. what about Italic tribes is Italic or Italian the legit name they saw themselves as. and what about Germanic tribes the word Germania i know was used by Romans as early as 2,000ybp to describe the area of all the Germanic tribes. I am not a linguistic but would if it was related to Gaulic and Gealic Italo Celts and Germanic;s would have split about 4,500-5,000ybp so only some 2,000 years before the Germanic tribes Rome fought and when ceasar conquered Gaul. I bet the Gauls and other Celts since their migrations and invasions were so recent had folk stories about conquering people like English in the middle ages did. 1,000ybp Irish book of Invasions might be an example.

Gealic and Brythonic language are most related to each other right. and do u know if CeltIberian is most related to Gaulic languages or Insular Celtic.

Gaelic and Celt-Iberian are Q-Keltic languages;
Cymric and Conti.-Keltic {Lepontic & Gaulish} are P-Keltic languages;

j0fz.png

The most well attested Conti.-Keltic language is Lepontic; But Lepontic could easily also be an Italic language of the Umbrians since it was spoken by the Insubres ([IsOmbri] Low-Land Umbrians) and has a good doze of pre-Indo-European Ligurian amongst it - J. Whatmough [Harvard Uni.]

http://www.ancient-celts.com/LanguagesLepontic.html

Lepontic stele inscription 6th-5th cen BC from Vergiate, Lombardy - N Italy
zm4g.png

But mark my words;
Lepontic can easily be an Italic language of P-Italic Umbrian since it was spoken by Insubres - i.e. Low-Land Umbrians;

PS: I like your link of Brennus (title) and Brahmins (status) it also crossed my mind in the Proto-Indo-European sense; But def. needs to be double-checked;

Why would Brennus, a common gallic surname be related to India's Brahmin caste?

The name Italia either derives from Viteliu (cattle, the land of cattle in an ancient italic tongue, possibly Latin.) or from the name of Italos, king of the Pelasgian Oenotrians. In no way does it have a similar source as that of the ancient name "Germania."

It could be that Brennus was a typical Gallic title and not a surname; the rest is Sanskrit and thats the bridge;
The Indo-European bridge; maybe there is something to it maybe not; prob. not who knows;

it is just for the pleasure - some evident enough links between celtic words
on left: gaelic (irish, + sometimes scotland gaelic); in front: translation in english + between crochets: breton and welsh, rarely cornish, and in italics, latine or romance words or others languages words (I-E!) with apparent link - it is not a scholar work but it could help people not very used to celtic languages: by example the albanian speakers who are looking for comparisons, like my friend Kamani - they could see the more common changes between gaelic and brythonic, and other languages of Europe... just for the fun and it is free!
&: cornish is between breton and welsh, but shows a very astonishing evolution: -d in final position is turned into -s /s/ --> /z/ in long syllabes - sometimes before endings beginning with vowels the words of this kind hesitates between -s- /z/ and -j /dzh/ (english pronounciation)

the other words I noted will follow...

I'm trying to add some other words - I hope it will do it? but I can't earse the table I wrote before - I need a technic formation!!!

bô (bà)cow (buoc'h, buwch, boeuf, buey, bou << bovis)
bodhaighuman body
bodhardeaf (bouzar, byddar)
bogmoist, damp (baw, baw? - boue, bauge, bauche?)
bogtepid (bouk?, pouk?)
boghabow (? - bwa, bog, bog, bog)
boinne, bannedrop (banne/bannac'h, -?)
bolgstomach (bolc'h, bola)
bonnsole, foundaztion, base, bottom (bon, bon ? # borne << bodina)
bordtable (bwrdd, bord << board, bord?)
bôrdtable (? - bwrdd/bord, board)
bothhut, booth, tent (bod, -? <?> ? bo?)
bothàntent, cabin, skanty (booth <?> bod ?)
brac arm, bracchium (brec'h, braich + bras)
brachbear (broc'h, broch?)
brachtsap, juice, substance, wealth (brewiñ?)
braichmalt (brewiñ, brass?)
braightop, summit (bre = menez)
braightlarge fire, bon-fire (bright, brecht, brecht?)
braislemass, lump (bras, bras?)
branraven (bran, brân)
braodartrouble, anxiety
brasgreat, strong + swift (bras, bras + braisg)
brat 1mantle, cloak (brozh)
brat 2broth (brouet?)
brathairbrother (breur, brawd, broeder, broer, bruder, bror, bratj)
brea grand (bre+bri, bri?)
breacspeckled, mottled, freckled (brec'h, brych + brizh, brith)
breactrout (brezhell, brythyll + Breizh (Britti-): bro ar Pikted?
breaghgandsome, fine, beautiful (braw, braf, brave, bravo?)
bréanfoul, putrid, rotten (brein, braen)
breith birth [to bear]
breith judgment, decision (breudoù)
breitheamhjudge (breud >> beutaer)
breo, breonnatorc, brand
brî 1 > brioghvigour, strength (bri?)
brî 2 brae, hill (bre/brenn, bryn-n)
brionndream (bre-: hunvreal, rambreal... breuddwyd)
brioscfragile (bresk)
bristetrousers, breeche (brikoù, bragoù)
bróquern, millstone (bonn, gall- borne?)
brobhrush (broenn?, brwyn?)
broc badger (broc'h, broch)
brocachdirty (broc'h, broch ?)
brogshoe
broghachdirty (?, brwnt?)
broid 3to goad, to prod (aiguillonner) (broud-añ)
broim? fart (bramm, bram)
broinnwomb, uterus (bronn, bron(n) <?> bronn, brunn, born)
broinndeargrobin (bronn + « ruz »)
bromairefarter, windbag, boaster (brammer, bramwr)

Gealic and Brythonic language are most related to each other right. and do u know if CeltIberian is most related to Gaulic languages or Insular Celtic. I was thinking maybe the Italic Celtic thing doesn't exist. Would if Gauls really spoke a language more related to Italic languages than Insular Celtic and we assume because of history it is more related to Insular Celtic. Because R1b S28 and Urnfield culture unite Italic languages and Gaulic. why did Italic languages stay separate and exist in the same culture as Celtic ones for over 1,000 years that doesn't make sense. That would destroy the whole idea of Celtic and really unite it to be Italo Celtic or a new name or maybe make Italic languages apart of the Celtic language family which would piss of ancient Romans if u said they were Celts or Italo Celts and most connected with Gauls but its kind of true i don't know about language.

Are Celtic languages broken down into Insular and continental or is it unknown what Continental is or exactly what Gauls spoke. I don't know how true this is but i have heard i think from the head of this website that when Ceasar fought the Gauls they could understand some Latin and Romans had to write and speak in Greek so the Gauls couldn't understand them. It just doesn't make sense Gauls descend from Urnfield their signature Y DNa haplogroup R1b S28 same with Italic's. Maybe R1b S28 and Urnfield were originally Italic and adopted languages of Celts they conquered in France because R1b Df27 and R1b L21 would have already been in France before R1b S28.

I 'll send you my answer next saturday (for what they are worth to)- but let's be cautious and not mix everything and not derive words from others without being sure of the phonetical rules that prevail between different branches of languages - a common sense rule
have a good day

In welsh they have a similar word for king or royalty u can check on google translate. Both Celtic Chiefs the one that attacked Italy in 390bc and eastern Europe and Greece in 200's bc were both named Brennus according to Roman and Greek writers. It probably mean royalty like u were in a high ranking family or high caste like Brahmins. The Brahmin caste was invented by Invading Indo Aryan speakers 3,500ybp theya re suppose to be direct decedents of those invaders which can explain why over 70% of some Brahmins have Indo Iranian R1a1a1b2 Z93 so the name deifntley is from what ever meant high ranking family for early INdo Iranian speakers.

following words

brônsorrow (?, brwyn*+)
bru 3to crush, to press (brewiñ, brywio)
bruadair, bruadarto dream, to have a vision (bre- > rambreal? - breudd-wydio ?)
bruchtaim, brùcht 1 to belch, eruption, burst, to vomit (breugeud/bregass) to blech = to burp
bruichto boil (berwiñ, berwo?)
brùid = brùtabrute, huge living (lat- bruto ?)
brùilùinburnet rose (brulu?, bryllu?)
bruscardebris (br- >> brewiñ, bresk, briser?)
bruthto bruise, to crush, to pulverise (brewiñ, breg/brifo/briwo? - briser)
buasuccess (buz, budd)
bua/buadh, buaidhvictory, conquest, success (buz, bud, butin)
buabhulunicorn
buachaile/buachaillcowherd, heard (bugul/bugel/bugale, bugail, bucolique? Boukolos)
buaftoad (tosseg) <> (buoc'h, bewin, buwch, lat- bov-?)
buaim
to win (buz, budd)
buarcattle, kine (buoc'h/bewin, buwch)
buidheanncompany, troop, band, gang (bezen, byddyn)
builînloaf (bread) (boul)
bùirto bellow, to roar (buoc'h …)
bun(tree) stump, stool, bottom (bon, bon)
burd (Alban?)to hum, to buzz (bourdonner)
ca hait? (cait?)where
cabMouth (?, ceg?)
càbacape (kab-ell, cape)
cabhànhollow, cavity (kew, ceudod)
cabhuilcage? - (kawell, cawell)
cacshit (kaoc'h, cach, caca, chier)
càcakake <> küchen (lat- coc-)
cachtconfinement, bondage, duress, hardship, privation (kaezh, caeth, captif/chétif)
cadhfight (kad, cad)
cagainnto chew (chaokad+chagell/chajell)
caibidilchapter (chabistr, lat- capitul-)
cailcchalk (kalc'h, calch, calc-aire, chaux)
caileanncalends (kalan, calan)
cailinn, caileagmaid (plac'h)
caill 1to loose (koll, colli)
caill 2 (Alban?)testicle (kell, caill)
caimsechemise, shirt (lat- camisa << kelt?)
caincprojection, prominent nose (kenk-is, canghyn)
cainneanleek (kignen, cennyn/cenhyn-)
cainttalk (kan, can >> cantor)
cair fhiadhstag (karw (gouez), carw)
cairb 1jaw & teath (karwan, ?)
càirdealamicable (kar, câr, cher, chères, caro, + heer?)
cairgecap (karreg, carreg, carraige)
cais hatred, spite (kas, câs)
cais(e)cheese (keus, caws,kaas, käse, caséïne)
Caisc/CaisgEaster (Pask, Pasg, Pâques, Pascua)
caiscinwhole meal bread (paskañ, pasg *+)
càlkale, cabbage (kaol)
calabay, harbour... (cale, cala)
caladh 1wharf, jetty (cala)
caladh 2hard (kaled, caled)
calafort (caladhphort?)port, harbour (cala)
calbh(ach)bald (head) ( calv-, chauve )
callaid (Alban?)hedge (killi, celli)
calman, colmwood pigeon (kouloum, colomen, colombe, coloma)
calman, colm, calamanpigeon (kouloum, colom)
calp
calf of leg
cam 2 / caimwry; crooked, bent > bend (kamm, cam)
camas? (kamm, cam)
can 3chant, sang (kan, cân)
canach
down (pan?= hair)
candam
quantum (lat-)
caoch 3blind, purblind (lat- caec-- >> ciego, cécité)
caoin 2 (Alban?)to mourn, to lament, to weep (-? cwyno, <?> couiner?)
caoin 1sweet in manner, delicate, efined, gentle (kind) <> (kended, cain/ceindod)?
caolnarrow, slim >>slender part (kil? , cul, cul, culo, lat- culus)
caolàncreek (kil, cul)
caomh/caoimhmild, dear, gentle (kuñv, cuf)
caonachmoss (kinvi/kivni, ?)
caori, caoridh(?)sheaps (peuriñ, pori)
caorthannrowan tree (tann, tan, tanin?, tannen-baum?)
capallhorse (kaval, cheval, caballo, kobyla)
car 2love (kar, câr)
càràidpair (par? - kar?)
carbadchariot (karr, cerbyd, char)
carncairn (karn, carn 1)
carnaîmto accumulate (karn, cairn)
carrcar (karr, car, char, carro)
carraigrock (karreg, carreg + krag, craig?)
casachtcough (pas/peus, pas)
castànchesnut (kistin, castan, châtaigne, castaña...)
cat cat (kazh, cath, gatto, chat, kotka)
cathair city (kêr, caer)
cathaoir
throne (kadoar, cadair, chaire <<, catedra)
ceanglaimto tether, to attach (ken + kouloum?)
ceap(tree) stump (kef, cyff, <?> cep)
cearbhui (buidhe ?)tawny (koar + melen ?)
ceilteheaden (celu, receler, celare?)
céim
step (lamm, kammed, cam, gamba, jambe<<camb)
ceimriccambric (welsh) (kembraeg, cymreig) cf : Combrogi
céirwax (koar, cwyr)
celawant (coel = fiziañs)

céir = koar, cwyr (lat- cer-umen >> fr- cire)

La Tene Gauls that sacked Rome and ravaged Italy in 390bc called their chief Brennus. Same with La Tene Gauls named by Greeks Galatians who ravaged across southeastern Europe and sacked and attacked many Greek cities in 200'sbc. I saw that the word for king in Welsh is Brenin and the word royal means something like that i know it is connected. I wonder of Brenin or Breenus or whatever were high ranking people in Social Castes in alot of ancient Celtic societies i was thinking it might be connected to the Brahmins who are high ranking in Hindi Indo aryan caste system. I know that Indo Iranian languages spread out of north Russia starting 5,000ybp both are Indo European but separated for a very long time over 6,000 years.

Do u think the Gealic and Gaulic those names might be related if they were names the real people gave themselves. Kind of like how two separate groups of Indo Iranians one that went to India and other to Iran called themselves Aryans. I bet Sycthains also had a name for themselves that sounded something like Aryan. what about Italic tribes is Italic or Italian the legit name they saw themselves as. and what about Germanic tribes the word Germania i know was used by Romans as early as 2,000ybp to describe the area of all the Germanic tribes. I am not a linguistic but would if it was related to Gaulic and Gealic Italo Celts and Germanic;s would have split about 4,500-5,000ybp so only some 2,000 years before the Germanic tribes Rome fought and when ceasar conquered Gaul. I bet the Gauls and other Celts since their migrations and invasions were so recent had folk stories about conquering people like English in the middle ages did. 1,000ybp Irish book of Invasions might be an example.

Following:La Tene Gauls that sacked Rome and ravaged Italy in 390bc called their chief Brennus. Same with La Tene Gauls named by Greeks Galatians who ravaged across southeastern Europe and sacked and attacked many Greek cities in 200'sbc. I saw that the word for king in Welsh is Brenin and the word royal means something like that i know it is connected. I wonder of Brenin or Breenus or whatever were high ranking people in Social Castes in alot of ancient Celtic societies i was thinking it might be connected to the Brahmins who are high ranking in Hindi Indo aryan caste system. I know that Indo Iranian languages spread out of north Russia starting 5,000ybp both are Indo European but separated for a very long time over 6,000 years.

This is only my «elucubrations» with my present knowledge (not concerning Brennos), but for some I had som echoes by other forumers -

I answer in disorder:

1. Brennus (Brennos) and welsh 'brenin' do not seem cognates at all – the first could very well come from an I-E word cognate with germanic 'brand' sword but I confess I don't know! – the second is a typically late welsh evolution of a syllabe ending with '-nt' – breton '-nt', cornish '-ns', welsh '-nt' >> '-nh-' before stress or '-n-' after stress between vowels – 'brenin' = «king», has the plural 'brenhinoedd' – see «queen»: brenhines(see 'nasal' mutation: 'tad' >> 'fyn nhad': «my father») welsh has other seemingly linked words like: 'breinio' + 'breintio': «to privilege», «to favor», «to enfranchise», 'breintiedig': «patent(ed)» - and 'bre': «hill», «highland» - breton has 'bre' for similar meanings (celtic ?'briga' see germanic 'berg' and slavic cognates), and 'bri': «esteem», surely linked at some stage of the language history '* BR-'– breton has 'brientin' = «noble man» - the links between 'bren(t) and 'breint':'brient' (? 'brig-ant' ?) is not too clear but I think it is real (gaelic has a similar root too) -
  2. Urnfields was surely at first an ethnic concept, maybe not I-E, but after some time it was more a way of life with religious ties and Y-R1U152 (S28) bearers were maybe not the only carriers of it, even as a majority only – by that time U152 was I think well developped in Alps regions; the core of it was among central continental Celts and Ligurians and some of them were among Italics but with littler percentages – I am tempted to think U152 bearers were denser among P- Osco-Umbrians people than among Qw- Latines, this taste of U152 being got more northernly, (scientist think Italics ever stayed a sa whole more southernly than the Celts (N-Croatia?) but some tribes at Urnfields times, here I think in P-Italics, could have had contacts farther in North (Moravia?) - it is uneasy to say because even very close artefacts could have been part of a cultural «package» transmitted between different ethnies – the fact Veneti seemed come from more northern lands (S-Poland?) is also an element on the side of more northern positions at some times for some tribes, even italic – But when we look at the present day distribution in Italy, the bulk of U-152 is in Ligurian and Celtic «world» - the Sicules, Ausonians and others of South Italy could have been close cousins to Ligurians, or half way between them and Latines...so rich for U152 - it seems that since Neolithical periods, the most of the introgressions by North in Italy was East the Apennines, where U152 seems poorer...Cardial was an exception before Greeks and Etruscans – at Calcholithic times, N-E Italy had been colonised by Balkans people (language unknown to me)
  3. Insular celtic is a relatively new concept: I think it is erroneus: I keep on with the Qw-/P- split: surely the Qw- were older settled in West Europe and more diverse; P- came later after central Europe later contacts and I suppose were less differenciated within them – the Gaelic-Brythonic links in the Isles are more of the convergence type than of a «genetical» type, I believe (Sure, I can mistake...) - gaulish as all other celtic languages had some common ancestral contacts with italic languages, before all these internal splits in all these languages – but some phonetical drifts from P-IE separate well celtic from italic – but we judge upon current languages, perhaps some intermediary dialects («lacking link») faded out during History run?
  4. Gaul and Gael (Gaedil) have nothing in common – it was explained yet in other threads of this forum: Gaul is a french evolution of a germanic basis *Walh > *Weal(h)isc >> 'Welsh', germanic 'Walah' from the name of the celtic tribe 'Volques' (to make short), name given by Germanics to all celtic people and after to latine speakers in eastern Europe (Valachs)-
    a confusion arose with the grecian name of some celtic tribes the Galati – central «Gauls» in present days France named themselves Celti, but the name Gallia given to their lands by the Romans seemslinked to the grecian naming: a consonantal mutation from K- to G- (Kelti>>Galati??? very unsure...) we have the same problem with Pretani >> Britanni (celtic languages know mutations at the initial part of words according to phonetic environment and voice stress, and it seems writings took this phenomen in account with some lateness) -

sorry - too much anphetamines in my tea -
a part of the (vertical) text is again from Fire Haired
my answers are in italics
have a good saturday night! I'm going to bed...

just a thing, Fire Haired: you go very quickly when you link INSUBRES to UMBRIANS - etymology requires more proofs

here you are

ciall
ciall

? (pouell/pouill, pwyll)
cianôg
cent (money) (? - ceiniog)
cillchurch? - cell? (kell, cell, cellule)
cinealkind (specie) (kenel, cenedl, kin???)
cion-mothachaidhapathy (mouzhet)
clach (Alban?)testicle (kleger/klog, clegyr, -clog, « maen » caillou/chaillou + kell, caill)
cladachstrand (plad? Plat?- >< clach)
claîfence (kloued, clwyd?, claie)
claîomhsword (klezeñv, cleddyf >> cladius, glaive)
clannclan (? - plant)
claon 1slope, slant, incline (klun, clun : 1 feuskenn 2 tor run)
claonaimto lean (incliner, cline)
clàrship deck (klor, clawr)
clàrstave of barrel (clef, clavier...)
cléleft (kleis, cledd)
cleacht, cleachdto accustom (plediñ? pleg ?)
cléirichclerk (kloareg, clerig, clerc >> clérical, klerk)
cliath 1 (Iwerzhon?)stave of barrel
cliath 2 (Alban?)hurdle, harrow (kloued, clwyd, claye)
clochstone (kleger, clegyr >> klopenn, penglog, cloche?)
cloigeannhead (klopenn, penglog <> kleger, clegyr, cloch))
clôscourtyard (klos, clòs, clos/clore, close)
cluasear (-?, clust <> klewed, clywed)
cluinnto ear (klewed, clywed, loud, lied, cleos, clod)
cneawound
cneasanimals skin (ken? <?> cnawd << cynod*???)
cneidh, creidh
? kreizh (claith?)
cnô, cnunut (knaou/kraoñ, cnau)
cnochill (krec'h,(k)nec'h, cnoc, knokke)
co-chôrdachaccord
cô?who? (piw, pwy, qui...)
côcaire
cook (keginer, cogydd, cuisinier/queue, cocina, kok, koch)
cogadhwar (kad, cad)
coic, coigfive (pemp, pym, cinq, cinque, fijf, fem)
coileachcock (kilhog, ceiliog)
coileànyoung of dog (kolen, colwyn)
côilis
cauliflower (kaol, chou, cavolo, kool, kohl
coill wood (kelwez, collen)
coîmheascan, co-mheasgaichto amalgamate (kemmeskiñ, cymysgu)
coinneal, côinnlecandle (kantol-or, cannwyll/canhwyll, chandelle, candella)
coirecauldron (? - pair>> peiriant)
cônacht
equinoxe (ken+'noazh'?)
corc, coirc(e)oats (kerc'h, ceirch)
corcachoaten (kerc'heg, ceirchog?)
côrdastring (kordenn, cord, cord, cord, chord)
côrnhorn (korn, corn, corne, corna)
corôin
crown (kurun, corun/coron, couronne)
corpcorpse, body (korf, corff, corpus)
cos foot, leg (? - coes)
costasprice (koust, cost << cost-)
cranntree (prenn, pren(n))
creachainn
skin, hood (?) (kroc'hen, croen)
creachan (Alban?)? krogen, ?
créachtwound (kreizh, crath)
creagachrocky (karreg, carre + krag, craig)
creathàntremble (kridienn) <?> krenañ, cryno)
creig
crag (krag, craig)
crî, cridhehart (kreis, credd, sred-...)
crîonannto wither (krin, crin?)
criosan (alb.)apron (kres, crys)
crobhto claw (-.?, crafyngu?)
croch
hook? (krog + kroug, crog, croc, crochet)
crochaimto hang (krogin/krougiñ, crogi)
crois(e)cross (kroas, croes)
crom bend (kromm, crwm/crom)
cromaimto lean (krommañ, crymu << crwm)
cruaidh
austere (kriz, crai, cru, raw, rå)
crùcacrook (? - crwga)
cruimhworm, maggot (preñv, pryf)
cruinnexact (a-grenn << krenn, crwn(n)?)
cruinnim, cruinnichto aggregate, to assemble (gronnañ? - crynhoi)
cruit
small harp (-? crwth)
cruthaimto create (krou(e)iñ, creu, créer)
cudog, hound (ki, ci, ky >> kon, cwn, chien, cano, câo)
cuachcuckoo (koukoug, cwcwg)
cuascavity (kew, cau/ceu-, cave, cage, cava)
cuil, cuileog
fly (n.) (kelien)
cuileannholly (kelenn, celyn)
cuimhe
cuin?when (pa(nd), pan, quand, quando, wann...)
cuinnecorner (kogn, cwngl, coin/cogn-, con-)
culaith
(clothes) suit (dilhad, dyllad ?)
cumargorge (2: defile) (komm, cwm, combe)
cunntasaccount
cùrsacruise (kours, course)

ciall (good) sense, meaning, prudence, I believe the first meaning was "wire", "thread" as in brythonic

I am confused: I see the non celtic words (germanic, latine, slavic) I put at the end of the lines (right side) in italics do not appear (finally) in italics?!?

I am confused: I see the non celtic words (germanic, latine, slavic) I put at the end of the lines (right side) in italics do not appear (finally) in italics?!?

daildelay, interval (dale, -?, délai?)
daimhoxen, bullock (dañvad + dem, dafad, daim)
dair, coill darachoak (derw/diri, derw, drvo, dorovo)
dallblind (dall, dall)
damnaîmto damn (daonañ, -? - damner)
daragstump of tree
déaganachdeacon (diagon, diacon/diagon, diacre, diacon-)
dealbhfigure, image, form (delwenn, delw)
dealbhstatue (delwenn, delw)
deanto do (done, daan, tan)
deasnice (? - destlus ?)
deirimto tell (dire, decir ?)
deochdrink (died, diod)
deoir, deurtear (daer, dagr)
deudset of teeth (dant, dant)
dhachaidhat home (deck, dak...?)
diagod, deity (doue, dyw, dieu, theos...)
diabholldevil (diaoul, diafol/diawl, diable, diabolo, duvel, duivel, teufel...)
diluchtaîmto discharge (di + leizh?, di + llwyth?)
dîolto avenge (dial, dial)
diôthudead (dood, tod, döda...)
direachstraight (direct, droit)
dleachtdue (dle/dele, dyled?)
dlîlaw (dle/dele, dyled?)
dobharwater, whiskey (dour/deur, dwr/dwfr, dowr Douvres = Dover !)
dochttight (doezh, doeth?)
doilighdifficult (dolor, douleur?)
doimnhedepth (don, dwfn, diep, tief)
domhaindeap (don, dwfn, diep, tief)
domhanworld (earth) (domaine, doma)
dôrainn (Alban?)pain (dol, douleur?)
dorasdoor (dor>dorojoù, dor+drws, deur, tur/tor, dör, dvor...)
dorchaobscure, dark
dornfist (dorn, dwrn)
dorsairporter? (dor, dor)
draoi(odôir)wizard (drouiz, derwydd?)
dréachtdraft (draught, dragen, tragen)
drochevil (droug, drwg)
drùchtdew (drop?- tropf?)
dubhblack, dark (du, du)
dùilelement (deal, deil, teil, del...???)
duilleogleaf (deil/delioù, dail)
duine > daoineman, people (den, dyn)
dùncastle, forteresse (din, din, town, tuin, zaun)
each (Alban)horse (-eb, ebeul, ebol, yegua, equus, hyppos)
eascaraidopponent (-?, esgar-)
eilesecond,other? (eil, aill)
eisir, eisearoyster (istr, eistr???)

no italics again!...

daildelay, interval (dale, -?, délai?)
daimhoxen, bullock (dañvad + dem, dafad, daim)
dair, coill darachoak (derw/diri, derw, drvo, dorovo)
dallblind (dall, dall)
damnaîmto damn (daonañ, -? - damner)
daragstump of tree
déaganachdeacon (diagon, diacon/diagon, diacre, diacon-)
dealbhfigure, image, form (delwenn, delw)
dealbhstatue (delwenn, delw)
deanto do (done, daan, tan)
deasnice (? - destlus ?)
deirimto tell (dire, decir ?)
deochdrink (died, diod)
deoir, deurtear (daer, dagr)
deudset of teeth (dant, dant)
dhachaidhat home (deck, dak...?)
diagod, deity (doue, dyw, dieu, theos...)
diabholldevil (diaoul, diafol/diawl, diable, diabolo, duvel, duivel, teufel...)
diluchtaîmto discharge (di + leizh?, di + llwyth?)
dîolto avenge (dial, dial)
diôthudead (dood, tod, döda...)
direachstraight (direct, droit)
dleachtdue (dle/dele, dyled?)
dlîlaw (dle/dele, dyled?)
dobharwater, whiskey (dour/deur, dwr/dwfr, dowr Douvres = Dover !)
dochttight (doezh, doeth?)
doilighdifficult (dolor, douleur?)
doimnhedepth (don, dwfn, diep, tief)
domhaindeap (don, dwfn, diep, tief)
domhanworld (earth) (domaine, doma)
dôrainn (Alban?)pain (dol, douleur?)
dorasdoor (dor>dorojoù, dor+drws, deur, tur/tor, dör, dvor...)
dorchaobscure, dark
dornfist (dorn, dwrn)
dorsairporter? (dor, dor)
draoi(odôir)wizard (drouiz, derwydd?)
dréachtdraft (draught, dragen, tragen)
drochevil (droug, drwg)
drùchtdew (drop?- tropf?)
dubhblack, dark (du, du)
dùilelement (deal, deil, teil, del...???)
duilleogleaf (deil/delioù, dail)
duine > daoineman, people (den, dyn)
dùncastle, forteresse (din, din, town, tuin, zaun)
each (Alban)horse (-eb, ebeul, ebol, yegua, equus, hyppos)
eascaraidopponent (-?, esgar-)
eilesecond,other? (eil, aill)
eisir, eisearoyster (istr, eistr???)

no italics again!...

fabhalfable (fable, fabuler, falar, hablar)
fàgàilweakness, failing (gwag = blod, laosk?)
fàgaim >> fàgto abandon (gwag, gwag, vacuum)
faighimto succumb (faezhañ)
failring, bracelet (gwalenn)
failléanneglect, waste, loss (gwall, gwall/gwael)
faînleogswallow (n.) (gwinnel, gwennol)
fàiscaimto tighten (gwaskañ, gwasgu)
faisg (Alban)near (gwask, gwasg?)
faisg (Alban)to press (gwask, gwasg)
fàlhedge, fence (wall, vall <<?vallum)
fallambhempty (goullew)
falt, folthead hair (geot/yeot, gwallt)
fann / fainneweak (gwan, gwan, vain, vano)
faoilprofuse hospitality (gouel, gwyl, veille, vigile?)
faoileànseagull (gouelan, gwylan)
feacaimto bend (gweañ)
féachto look, to see, to behold (gweled << gwed-led? - gweld, gweles)
feachd (alb.)army (faezh, fight, vucht? >< « gweizh », vict-or?)
feacht 2flow, current (gwazh-ienn, gwyth-?vector ?way ?wag)
feadh, fiodhtree? - wood? (gwez, gwydd)
feagRush (? - gwig ?)
fealldeceit, treachery, failure (?gwall, ?gwall/ ?gwae l >#< fall, faillir)
feamainnseaweed (gouemon, gwymon)
féanwain, wagon (wagen, wagen, way, weg, vaj, voie...)
féar, feurgrass (? - gwair)
fear, fîorman (gour, gwr, viril)
feargto be angry (fierce, féroce?)
feàrna, fearnôgelder tree (gwern, gwern, verne, vergne)
fearrbetter (gwell? - well, wel, woll...?)
feartvirtue, quality (gwerzh, gwerth, worth, werd, wert)
feasgarafternoon? (gousperoù, gosber-, vêpres, vesper-)
feileadhkilt (gwele?, gwely?)
féithvein, artery (gwazhienn, gwythïen << gwaezh <?< vect-or)
feonnto wither (goeñviñ, gwywo?)
fia deer
fiadhaichwild, terrible (gouez)
fiailachweedy (bad grass) (gwialeg? gwiail)
fiàinwild (gouez- + -n ?)
fine (Alban)tribe, surname, clan (gouenn???)
fiodhull, fidhle (fidil Iwerzhon)fiddle, violin (viole, vielle?)
fîodôirweaver (gwiader, gwead-)
fîonwine (gwin, gwin, wijn, wein, vin, vin, vino, vino)
fionnwhite (gwenn, gwyn(n))
fîor, feartrue (gwir, gwir, voire, vrai, vero)
firman (gour, gwr, viril)
firinn, firinnetruth (gwirionez, gwirionydd)
flathprince, hero (glad, gwlad)
fliuchwet (gwleb, gwlyb, fluide, flos)
flósflower (poetry) << flo-s, flo-ris?
fo-under- (gou-, go-)
focalword (vocal, voyelle...)
fochlaexcavation (a- gwag-le ? / b- gou-kleuz ?)
fôirverge (gwial, gwiail ???)
foirceannend, extremity, extreme (gorffen(n), gourfenn? << gour-penn ?)
fôiscewe (vesp-er?, vecer...?)
folachconcealment, hiding, covering (gou+lec'h?)
folaithehidden, occult (gou + leg-? - golo, golo ?)
folamhhollow (goullew)
folcaimto wash (gwalc'hiñ, golchi)
folmhaîmto empty, to evacuate (goullew?)
frag (Alban)a kind wife (gwreg, gwraig)
freumhach (Alban)root (gwrizienn ???)
fuathaversion, hate (gwazh, gwaeth)
fuilblood (gwae >> gwad/gwaed, gwaed ?)

I'm very confused: this time I put the brittonic words in bold letters, knowing the italics did not pass: same awful result (my god! or hell?!!!): NO bold letter
and no "simple reply"
keep in mind gaelic F- = brittonic GW-...
gaelic -CH(T) = brittonic -ITH/-IZH or -TH/-ZH (if << I-Ean -PT)

fuipwhip
gabhasmith (gov, gof, gob-)
gag (Alban)chink, inpediment of speech (gag, -?
gairmcall (garm)
gairm, goirmto proclaim banns in church (garmiñ, -?)
galancalling, proclamation (galw, galw)
galardesease, distemper (glac'har, galar)
gàradh, garradhyard , garden (-?, gardd, garden, garten, gaard, liorzh, lluorth)
garbhnaughty, crude, asper, rough, coarse (garw, garw)
gé, geadhgoose (gwaez, gwydd)
geolbhachjowl (géole + bac'h?)
ginealrace, specie (gouenn, gène, génétic, zena...)
glaisto lock (glisig)
glanpure (glan, glan)
glasblue, green, grey (glas, glas, glauque???)
gleoitenice (? - gloeyw, gloria?))
glun, gluinknee (glin, glin)
gobbeak (gup?)
goilestomach, appetite (gueule, goule, gula)
goilimto weep ((g)ouelañ, (g)wylo?)
gôlahole, orifice (geol, ?, lat- gula >> gueule)
goradhto heat? (goriñ, gor?)
gorùnhaunch, hip (gar, gar-r)?
gradhlove (grad, gré)
grainegrimace (to grin)
gràn, gràinnegrain (greun/gran, grawn)
grànachcereal (greuneg/graneg, grawn>>gronog? + graen, grano, grain, corn, koren, korn)
greangravel (grouan, gaean)
greimto grasp, to grip, to hold (germ- grîp- )
gréithevaluables, ornaments, trinkets, presents (lat- grat- >> gracieux, gratis?)
gri(o)thcry, shout, grunt (grogner, groin, gr...)
griobhgriffon
griogslight, irritating, pain (fr. grief?)
grùntadepth, bottom, sounding (germ- grund)
gualcoal (glaou, glo, kool, kohl?)
guidhto pray, to wish (-?, gweddïo)
i meascamong (e-mesk, ymysg)
iàrann, iarunniron (houarn, haearn << ho-iarn)
ibh (Alban)to drink (evañ/iviñ, yfed)
inîon, ingheandaughter (?, ? - in + gen- ???)
inmholtaadmirable (meuliñ, canmoli)
itheadh (Alban?)to eat (eten, essen, ete, eta)
iudh, iuch (Alban?)wood (timber)
iùryew (yew, iau, joug)
labhword, lip (lavar, llafar)
labhair (Alban?)to speake (lavared, llefaru)
lag feeble, weak (low, laag?)
laghdaîmto decrease (low, laag...)
laigeweakness (low, laag?)
lamhhand, handle (law-igañ?, llaw/llof- <?> palme, palma?)
làn >> lainefull (leun/lan, llawn)
lannsword, blade (lavn, llafn? lame, laminer)
lao, laoghcalf (# veal) (leue, llo)
laoi, laoidh« lay » (poem) (lae, play?)
làrground, floor (leur/lér/lor, llawr, vloer)
latalath (lazh, llath, latte)
leabharbook (levr, llyfr, livre, libro)
leanto follow (-?, dilyn(n))
léanntaerudite (lenn, darllen)
leas-step- (les-)
leathanwide, broad (ledan, llydan, platane)
leatharleather (lêr, lledr)
léim, leumto spring, to jump (lammad, llamu)
léimneoirjumper (lammad, llamu)
leipreachànsprite, dwarf (leubeurc'henn « clampin »?)
leisthigh (les, lles)
leisciùillazy (laosk, llesg, lâche)
leisglazy (laosk, llesg, lâche)
liathgrey (loued, lwyd, lôs)
linnelake, pond? (lenn, llyn)
lithpigment (liw, lliw : livide)
lobharleper (lovr, llwfr?)
loc(sheep) fold (lok/log, locus?)
lochtaloft
loiscneachcaustic (losk, llosg)
loisg(each)to burn (leskiñ/loskién, llosgi)
lombare (llwm, llom)
lothainnpack (lodenn? Lot?)
luaidhelead (load)
luaith, luathashes (ludu, lludw)
luascaim, luaisg (Alban)to wag, to swing (luskañ, llusgo)
luasgam (Alban?)oscillation (liskenn << lusk, llusg)
luch mouse (logod, llygod)
luchdpack (leizh 2?, llwyth)*
luchtcargo (charge) (leizh 2? - llwyth)
luîto cry, to leaven (leñvañ, llefain)
lusherb (lousoù, llyseu)

This thread has been viewed 37942 times.

Back