To burn or not to burn: LBA/EIA Balkan case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I am going to start the new year with a summary of my current understanding, with a special focus on the central Balkan group. I think this year will be massive in terms of data releases. I read something interesting on AG, posted almost two years ago(March 2021), by some rrenjet board member.

Due to being correct with the people working on these project cant say much more. We will help them latter do a proper comparison with our database at Rrenjet.com as is the largest for albanians and as many of our samples are not in Yfull.
but the current batch was north. PF7562 EBA and J2b mid to late bronze.
The second batch will be more from south albania and will have a range of 1,400-700 BC.
Next year will be even more samples. close to 100 may be. It will take some time as covid has slowed things down.
I truly hope the second batch will show at least some E-V13 Iron Age so we can give some more structure to this E-v13 debate by having a clearer timeline of their presence in west balkans.
At the moment I tend to agree with the overall logic presented by Riverman a few posts above. Of course we should keep an open mind if ancient dna provides new windows of interpretations.
As i said earlier just a bit more patience. Albania is completely empty now from ancient dna so filling even some of this space should have a significant effect in understanding the path of some these haplos and specifically for E-V13 that seems to still have wide points of view.

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?16757-E-V13-entered-Greece-with-Illyrians-and-Dorian-invasions&p=757415&viewfull=1#post757415

This is how I am understanding and reconstructing the events described.
1) The first batch, which the Southern Arc team was comparing with rrenjet database was clearly the BA batch (Shkreli I8471 and Cinamak I14689), (this event occurred two years ago).
2) The 2nd batch was supposed to be from 1,400 - 700 B.C. (Cinamak and Barc) but it turned out the Korca samples were mostly contaminated with gypsies (they wuz da real kangs). We did get one LBA sample that will be one day redated and it turned out to be PF7563 (this batch was not yet evaluated with rrenjet as of March 2021)
3) He claims there is more down the pipeline, 100 additional Alb samples, which I'm going to assume will be part of the next southern Arc series and were likely evaluated in 2022.

If E-V13 was found with this later larger batch, I think we would have heard some bragging and nagging by now from the moles and their fan girls.

This is a summary of my current understanding of the LBA-IA Balkans.

1) Illyrians are a west Balkan group dominated by J2b. They are associated Cetina, and later with Glasinac culture and their derivatives. In BA they had not properly expanded into Mat valley, even if there were some Cetina colonies in central Albania.
2) South Albania in LBA was dominated by matt-painted culture, and the leading haplogroup was PF5762-3 and perhaps Z2103 as well. In what way they were related to northern Greek(Doric) groups is yet to be revealed, because we have zero samples from northern Greece. Matt-painted will show relation with Messapii, which some scholars believe were different from Peucuti and Dauni.
3) The so called Messapii will have their own regional characteristics, with the actual Messappi being high on PF5763 and Z2103, and the northern zone having J2b-L283 inclinations. Messappi are linked with matt-painted culture which is not Cetina or Cetina derived. There are Cetina sites in the area of Dauni. I also believe post LBA, Illyrian domination, expansion and gene-flow would have continued into the IA, until the Greeks broke their naval hegemony.
4) I think Vatin group is the parent group of Albanian Z2103. Initially this was only a intuition when Hawk asked me of my opinion, but now I see Serbian archeologists think it played a leading role in the formation of Brnjica culture. Vatin was overcome by Urnfield culture and it fled south where it's elements formed Bernjica culture (and possibly Paracin, though there is not much info on this culture, an assumption on my part).
-Elements of Vatin also flee into southern Albania and merge with the local matt-painted culture, perhaps it this through this impulse that the matt-painted Messapi are linked to modern Albanian.
-Another branch of Vatin found itself in eastern Bosnia where it fused with the early inland Illyrians, whether this is a dead-end branch or not, remains to be seen if Z2103 emerges with north-eastern Illyrians.
-Brnjica flourished and grew fat before BA collapse, however the channel ware folks invade and devastate Brnjica. Many of it's member's flee south and form the Paeoni tribes. How much did these Paeoni mix with the previous natives, and the channel ware people remains to be seen.
-Brnjica is not entirely eliminated, elements of it survive in it's historical region and they reemerge in IA, though under heavy influence and cultural ties with the Daco-Thracian world. It does look like the pre-Glasinac Dardani where a hybrid people of E-V13 and Z2103.
-Glasinac expands east in the 8th-7th century BC. Their expansion meets stiff resistence and fails to penetrate beyond Ibar-Metohija line.
-Some Serbian archeologists have coined a term for non-Glasinac Dardani, Balevac group. I do not know if the Dardani mentioned by Greeks as a kingdom, includes both the Glasinac and Brnjica-channel ware dervied groups or it is a tribal designation solely based on one of the groups.
- Johane brought up the low tumuli dented ware. There is not much info on this group, other than they came from the east and Danubian region. Without knowing anything about this culture, they sound like Scytho-Thracians or Thraco-Cimmerians based on the timeline. If so, they were a flash flood kind of event, and would have dissolved into the locals pretty fast.
5) North of the Dardani is a massive channel ware derived series of cultures that belong to the Daco-Thracian zone (Zlot group and Bosut group). They too might carry some Vatin-Brnjica substrate, but the core of this genetic legacy remains with Brnjica derived groups.
6) Trebenishte group represents the western most group of the Macedonian tribes and so far have yielded J2a.

EMw5ih6.png

Last edited:
I share most of what you have expressed and am just waiting for the confirmation by ancient DNA.
There could be some deviation in reality, but it won't change the big picture in the Iron Age.

Considering Vatin-s affiliations i find it hard to believe it was R1b-Z2103 solely. But, i am still open to any interpretation.

Brnjica was not descended from Vatin, there was some Vatin influences, and the funny thing is it was via the channeling decorations specific to Vatin which was noticed in Brnjica. Even Gava is supposed to have been influenced by some Vatin colonizers from south. But, they are to the level of speculations.

A Happy New Year from me too to you all. Ju uroj një vit të mbarë!

2023 aDNA from the Balkans better finally yield prolific
J2b-L283>Y21045. My guess still would be during BA a more widespread area, probably Herzegovina, South West Serbia, Northern Montenegro and Kosovo, parts of Northern Albania (possible if those J2b-L283>Z1297>Z1295 did not own whole Malësia :LOL:). Then onwards probably rapid expansion into further Central Balkans and Kosovo. Autariatae & Ardiaei would nicely fit the bill.

Considering Vatin-s affiliations i find it hard to believe it was R1b-Z2103 solely. But, i am still open to any interpretation.

Brnjica was not descended from Vatin, there was some Vatin influences, and the funny thing is it was via the channeling decorations specific to Vatin which was noticed in Brnjica. Even Gava is supposed to have been influenced by some Vatin colonizers from south. But, they are to the level of speculations.

Hawk can you confirm the summary of this paper? The main content is in Serbian Cyrillic, I tried through google translate. The author seems quite confident that Vatin played a big role in Brnjica, Paracin and even partially contributed (though not a leading role) to north Aegean groups like matt-painted.

This paper deals with the appearance and development of particular ceramic forms that were prevalent on the wider territory from the lower Danube to the northern shores of the Aegean sea during the middle and Late Bronze Age. These forms relate to globular beakers, pear shaped vessels with everted rims with arch shaped handles, cups with handles with plastic applications on their upper surface, etc. Particular attention is devoted to the phenomenon of globular beakers of the LBA in the valleys of Varder, Mesta and Struma rivers. All information collected primarily through analysis of stylistic-typological characteristics of ceramics of the middle and Late Bronze Age - that took into account ritual burials, layout of settlements, trade routes and climactic conditions during that period - points to population movements from the north to the south already by the LBA, i.e. in 15th century BC. These movements contributed to the creation of particular cultural groups in the LBA in the central Balkans, such as the Brnjica cultural group. However, these movements cannot be clearly linked to the so-called Aegean Migration, and for this reason their character and chronology are subject to debate. Ultimately it can be concluded that beakers of the Zimnicea -Cherkovna-Plovdiv type appeared in the late Bronze Age in the Vlasine depression and the Danube valley through the evolution of beaker forms of cultural groups of earlier periods. Almost contemporaneously, during LBA, a variant of this ceramic form, richly ornamented (mostly with spirals) and similar in manner to the cultural group Dubovac-Žuto Brdo-Grla Mare- Krna, appeared in the LBA culture in northern Greece. Clearly this stylistic mannerism, with spirals as characteristic elements, spread relatively quickly through successive migrations in the period of 15th-14th century BC, toward the south of the Balkan Peninsula, thus covering the wider territory from the southern tip of the Carpathian mountains down to the northern shores of the Aegean Sea. Participants in those migrations are in fact representatives of cultural groups that were created in the northern Balkan Peninsula during the 16th and 15th centuries BC through the breakdown of Vatic culture. As the result of pressures from the north and north-west they headed south, contributing to the creation and development of cultural groups on the territory of the central Balkans. The final destination of the migrations were the valleys of the Mesta, Struma and Vardar rivers where, starting in the 15th century BC, a noticeable foreign cultural influence can be felt that became most pronounced during 14th century BC. [Projekat Ministarstva nauke Republike Srbije, br. 177020: Arheologija Srbije: kulturni idenitet, integracioni faktori, tehnološki procesi i uloga centralnog Balkana u razvoju evropske praistorije]

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ores_of_the_Aegean_sea_in_the_late_bronze_age

https://www.europeana.eu/en/item/92040/URN_RS_NAE_433bb921_2a18_4e7f_be53_1d1432990fb6cho

BTW keep in mind, R-Z2103 was quite common in EBA Mokrin culture. I see Vatin as a consolidated version of this subgroup(R-Z2103) that carved out it's own habitat for a time, until it was pushed southward. Vatin also occupied one of the best real estate in Europe, and must have had a good population density. The man power was there, to have the ability to overcome the regions south of it once it was dislodged from northern Serbia.

I am focusing on the leading haplogroup for each culture block. It's a impossible task to figure out what minor haplgroups were also participants in a given group, ancient samples can reveal that.

This year it is known that we will see the Italian pre-Roman samples(about 500) released. Maybe the west Romanian as well. And hopefully the Danubian frontier study. I hope we also see the Greek study as well, we badly need IA Greek samples, the BA and neolithic samples are becoming redundant.
I don't think the 3rd Alb batch is for 2023, but for 2024. I do think the samples have already been processed, but the results are still being digested and the literature is still being typed and not yet in peer review.

Alright, I am going to start the new year with a summary of my current understanding, with a special focus on the central Balkan group. I think this year will be massive in terms of data releases. I read something interesting on AG, posted almost two years ago(March 2021), by some rrenjet board member.

1) Illyrians are a west Balkan group dominated by J2b. They are associated Cetina, and later with Glasinac culture and their derivatives. In BA they had not properly expanded into Mat valley, even if there were some Cetina colonies in central Albania.
2) South Albania in LBA was dominated by matt-painted culture, and the leading haplogroup was PF5762-3 and perhaps Z2103 as well. In what way they were related to northern Greek(Doric) groups is yet to be revealed, because we have zero samples from northern Greece. Matt-painted will show relation with Messapii, which some scholars believe were different from Peucuti and Dauni.
3) The so called Messapii will have their own regional characteristics, with the actual Messappi being high on PF5763 and Z2103, and the northern zone having J2b-L283 inclinations. Messappi are linked with matt-painted culture which is not Cetina or Cetina derived. There are Cetina sites in the area of Dauni. I also believe post LBA, Illyrian domination, expansion and gene-flow would have continued into the IA, until the Greeks broke their naval hegemony.

I know Z2103 is R1b ydna ................but what is PF5762 and PF5763 ?

I have PF5762 as being part of L2-L595 ydna

Hawk can you confirm the summary of this paper? The main content is in Serbian Cyrillic, I tried through google translate. The author seems quite confident that Vatin played a big role in Brnjica, Paracin and even partially contributed (though not a leading role) to north Aegean groups like matt-painted.

BTW keep in mind, R-Z2103 was quite common in EBA Mokrin culture. I see Vatin as a consolidated version of this subgroup(R-Z2103) that carved out it's own habitat for a time, until it was pushed southward. Vatin also occupied one of the best real estate in Europe, and must have had a good population density. The man power was there, to have the ability to overcome the regions south of it once it was dislodged from northern Serbia.

I am focusing on the leading haplogroup for each culture block. It's a impossible task to figure out what minor haplgroups were also participants in a given group, ancient samples can reveal that.

This year it is known that we will see the Italian pre-Roman samples(about 500) released. Maybe the west Romanian as well. And hopefully the Danubian frontier study. I hope we also see the Greek study as well, we badly need IA Greek samples, the BA and neolithic samples are becoming redundant.
I don't think the 3rd Alb batch is for 2023, but for 2024. I do think the samples have already been processed, but the results are still being digested and the literature is still being typed and not yet in peer review.

Yeah, but EBA Mokrin has nothing to do with Vatin archaeologically. Subsequently in MBA where Mokrin was it was overran by ancestral cultures of E-V13 affiliated cultures, ancestral of (Psenicevo, Babadag, Insula Banului).

What Y-DNA did Vatin carry, whether R1b-Z2103, I2a, G2a, J2b2-L283 or E-V13 is hard to guess at this point.

To my understanding Brnjica's existence started in MBA as well, they could just have some influences from further north from Vatin which is still quite speculative. The whole problem is that core Vatin region is considered as part of Balkan-Carpathian spheres because it shared similar burial rite as latter Eastern Urnfielders, hence they were extensive users of cremation and it's hard to know, in addition as part of material culture the use of channeling, knobs. Definitely it was part of the Balkan-Carpathian horizon something which cannot be said about Mokrin/Maros.

We did get one LBA sample that will be one day redated and it turned out to be PF7563.

The sample is a medieval Albanian, please don't start your argument with a premise which is wrong. The settlements in southern Albania during the LBA come from the western Balkans.

The Messapii are the same people as the Dauni and the Peuceti. The Daunians don't come from a different source and in fact the few samples that exist are J-L283 and R-Z2103. I hope that within 2023 we get more Iapygian samples, but R-Z2103/R-PF7563 will in all likelihood be found in all 3 Iapygian groups. R-Z2103 has already been found in the northernmost.

I think Vatin group is the parent group of Albanian Z2103.

The Vatin group may be another Vucedol group but it's not related to Albanians as an ancestral culture. This was a Danubian group which probably carried high WHG ancestry. This excludes it from any links to Albanians. It is also important that this is not considered a viable ancestral area for Albanians, wherever they may have lived between Albania, Montenegro, Dardania, west Macedonia in the Iron Age. All the groups which are linked to Albanians in this area came from somewhere in the Illyrian western Balkans. R-Z2103 has already been found among Daunians in Iron Age Italy, so it was near the coastline much earlier

Another branch of Vatin found itself in eastern Bosnia where it fused with the early inland Illyrians, whether this is a dead-end branch or not, remains to be seen if Z2103 emerges with north-eastern Illyrians.

"Eastern Bosnia" is Glasinac-Mati which formed from the Proto-Illyrian Belotic-Bela Crkva and Cetina. It should have R-Z2103 as it should have R-PF7563 and obviously J-L283. This the biggest Illyrian movement. What remains to be seen is where E-V13 fits in the discussion.

It does look like the pre-Glasinac Dardani where a hybrid people of E-V13 and Z2103.

There's no such thing as "pre-Glasinac Dardani". The R1b Illyrian lineages were Z2103 and PF7563 and we'll see these lineages in Dardania with J-L283 because the first Proto-Illyrian culture in Dardania is Belotic-Bela Crkva which brought them there before Glasinac-Mati. Like in Albania, they will be shown to have been there with previous Proto-Illyrian movements.

Trebenishte group represents the western most group of the Macedonian tribes and so far have yielded J2a.

There aren't any "Macedonian tribes" on Lake Ohrid. This group isn't Macedonian, but very similar to Illyrians.

clinality.png

About E-V13, I will just say that E-V13 can't have been the main haplogroup of any Danubian group. They all had very high Iron Gates HG ancestry and this is incompatible with what we see in most E-V13 samples: they have almost no additional WHG ancestry.

The sample is a medieval Albanian, please don't start your argument with a premise which is wrong. The settlements in southern Albania during the LBA come from the western Balkans.

The Messapii are the same people as the Dauni and the Peuceti. The Daunians don't come from a different source and in fact the few samples that exist are J-L283 and R-Z2103. I hope that within 2023 we get more Iapygian samples, but R-Z2103/R-PF7563 will in all likelihood be found in all 3 Iapygian groups. R-Z2103 has already been found in the northernmost.

The Vatin group may be another Vucedol group but it's not related to Albanians as an ancestral culture. This was a Danubian group which probably carried high WHG ancestry. This excludes it from any links to Albanians. It is also important that this is not considered a viable ancestral area for Albanians, wherever they may have lived between Albania, Montenegro, Dardania, west Macedonia in the Iron Age. All the groups which are linked to Albanians in this area came from somewhere in the Illyrian western Balkans. R-Z2103 has already been found among Daunians in Iron Age Italy, so it was near the coastline much earlier

"Eastern Bosnia" is Glasinac-Mati which formed from the Proto-Illyrian Belotic-Bela Crkva and Cetina. It should have R-Z2103 as it should have R-PF7563 and obviously J-L283. This the biggest Illyrian movement. What remains to be seen is where E-V13 fits in the discussion.

There's no such thing as "pre-Glasinac Dardani". The R1b Illyrian lineages were Z2103 and PF7563 and we'll see these lineages in Dardania with J-L283 because the first Proto-Illyrian culture in Dardania is Belotic-Bela Crkva which brought them there before Glasinac-Mati. Like in Albania, they will be shown to have been there with previous Proto-Illyrian movements.

There aren't any "Macedonian tribes" on Lake Ohrid. This group isn't Macedonian, but very similar to Illyrians.

clinality.png

About E-V13, I will just say that E-V13 can't have been the main haplogroup of any Danubian group. They all had very high Iron Gates HG ancestry and this is incompatible with what we see in most E-V13 samples: they have almost no additional WHG ancestry.

the oldest R-Z2103 in from northern Germany/Demark from this paper

Genomic Steppe ancestry in skeletons from the Neolithic Single Grave Culture in Denmark

Anne Friis-Holm Egfjord,
Ashot Margaryan,
Anders Fischer,
Karl-Göran Sjögren,
T. Douglas Price,
Niels N. Johannsen,
Poul Otto Nielsen,
Lasse Sørensen,
Eske Willerslev,
Rune Iversen,
Martin Sikora,
Kristian Kristiansen ,
Morten E. Allentoft

PLOS

Published: January 14, 2021

if you think it is Illyrian.......then again, the illyrian migrated from central europe way down the western balkans over time

Who says that, the gypsie-torbesh committee with members like Borat Sagdiyev heading and coordinating Albanian DNA matters?

You have two E-V13 samples in Sicily which were far northern than Psenicevo groups and they were more northern than your Illyrians, you have 1 E-V13 there which was fully Caucasus-like. Here, we deal with mainly paternal expansion. At this stage the Danube Basin remains the main candidate for E-V13.

In addition, there was no Belotic-Bela Crkva in Dardania, that was a group of Western Serbia/Eastern Bosnia.

+ quote me any author which says Vatin descends from Vucedol because what i see is you lump anything within Vucedol a culture which so far has mainly G2a with only one R1b-Z2103.

Who says that, the gypsie-torbesh committee with members like Borat Sagdiyev heading and coordinating Albanian DNA matters?

You have two E-V13 samples in Sicily which were far northern than Psenicevo groups and they were more northern than your Illyrians, you have 1 E-V13 there which was fully Caucasus-like. Here, we deal with mainly paternal expansion. At this stage the Danube Basin remains the main candidate for E-V13.

In addition, there was no Belotic-Bela Crkva in Dardania, that was a group of Western Serbia/Eastern Bosnia.

+ quote me any author which says Vatin descends from Vucedol because what i see is you lump anything within Vucedol a culture which so far has mainly G2a with only one R1b-Z2103.

I'm quite confident Bruzmi = Excine.

Future samples from northern Greece and southern Albania will prove me correct. In AG it's only you and your other account (Bruzmi) that throws a fit over this. Even Mariopoulos admitted I13834_R-PF7563 is likely to be misdated.

Cetina and Glasinac get zero mentions in this great paper. Svojan(Kuc i zi) group shows similarity with Greek Macedonia since Bronze Age.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ttery_from_Sovjan_in_Iliria_XXXIX_2016_91-135

The so called Messapii are speculated to have involved Chaeonians, Dardani and Japyges, these are not the same people in the IA Balkans. If they mixed in Apulia it is another matter, but their initial settlements across the pond will show them having their own specific concentrations, as does linguistic evidence.

FHnNOTHXwAErHU1

This is from a website you edit.

However, some scholars have argued that the term 'Iapygian languages' should be preferred for referring to the group of languages spoken in Apulia, with the term 'Messapic' being reserved to the inscriptions found in the Salento peninsula, where the specific tribe of the Messapians had been living in the pre-Roman era.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messapic_language

LOL, Brumi, Vucedol, Vucedol, everything hatched out of Vucedol, everything is Illyrian.

No you nincompoop, chronologically Vatin predates Glasinac. A branch of Vatin ends up in eastern Bosnia where it's pots remain mostly the same but their burial rites become Illyrian. This suggests an assimilation, which means potentially the lineages survived with Illyrians in eastern Bosnia.

Delusional idiot, Glasinac is the last culture to intrude into Dardani space, and it was firmly stopped, it made no headway beyond western Kosovo.

Belotic-Bela Crkva has no relatinship to Kosovo, it did not even encompass Sandzak. You can't construct a coherent theory without basic chronology or geography being in contradiction with one another, you want to lecture people?
https://sr-m-wikipedia-org.translat...tr_sl=sr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

The R1b Illyrian lineages were Z2103 and PF7563

:LOL:

Even your boys piled up on you in AG and smashed a nice humble pie on your face.

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread...mp-Europe-quot&p=900598&viewfull=1#post900598

but but everything is Illyrian. Nope.

You are the least qualified person in here to be lecturing anyone. Just like in AG, your reputation is tanking real fast.

The 2 Himera samples are not more northern than the northern Illyrians. They have a bit less additional WHG ancestry than the northernmost Illyrians and Illyrians also weren't a Danubian people.

WHG1.png

The Caucasian profile is irrelevant because it's very low coverage but it also doesn't have any additional WHG origins:

Target: ITA_Sicily_Himera_480BCE_5:I10951
Distance: 2.8441% / 0.02844100
49.6 GEO_CHG
23.8 TUR_Barcin_N
18.0 Yamnaya_RUS_Samara
5.2 Israel_Natufian
3.4 IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N

The G2a sample is pre-Vucedol, there is just one sample from Croatia and he's R-Z2103. There are two possibly Vucedol related samples in Croatia, one R1b-M343+ with no further designation and another I-M223 but this may not even be from Vucedol culture but from groups related to EPC.

https://www.academia.edu/6024027/So...roups_in_the_region_of_the_West_Morava_valley

On the other hand, now it is doubtless thatthe northern part of the West Morava valley within the Čačak region makes a border zone between two bigger cultural manifestations of the Early Bronze Age in the Central Balkans -Belotić–
Bela Crkva and Bubanj Hum III.During the Middle Bronze Age it appears that the West Morava valley and itssurroundings played the same role. As it was indicated by the analyzed material from Mojsinje, Miločaj and Dobrača necropolises, it was possible to establish a certain zone withmixed material, characteristic for the so called Western Serbian variant of the Vatin cultureon the one side (western Serbia) and the Paraćin I culture on the other (central, eastern and southern Serbia).The Late Bronze Age represents a period with not as many investigated sites as the previous ones, but even operating with smaller numbers, there was a possibility to establish a basic picture. A strong influence from the Danube cultural circle (Urnfield complex) isnotable on the material. It is most obvious in use of the fluted ornament and polishing of the pottery. As in the previous phases, it is the strong cultural influence on the autochthonous base, which strongly kept its funerary models. It means that even during the Late BronzeAge, the same part of the West Morava valley can be marked as transitional, having various characteristics in the material reflecting strong influences from nearby cultural centers.

It is obvious that the West Morava valley downstream from the Ovčar -Kablar gorge to the Kraljevo narrowing represents indeed transitional territory between already defined cultural groups which existed in the wider territory of Serbia to thesouth of the rivers Sava and Danube. It can be comprehended as a contact zone betweencultural groups during the entire development of the Bronze Age. Particular significance ofthis region lasts even during the next millennia. Regarding burial customs, the same role ofthis region is noticed during the Iron Age (Dmitrović and Ljuština 2008). After D. (Срејовић 1979, p.83), the funerary customs were the basis for determining the border between Palaeo-Balkanic tribes Dardanians and Triballoi along the line Western– SouthernMorava. This concept is generally followed in the recent works by R. Vasić (cf. Vasić 2004a;Vasić 2004b), at least to the extent of shaping territorial spread of the mentioned Palaeo-Balkanic ethnic groups.

https://exarc.net/issue-2019-1/mm/crafter-re-creating-vatin-pottery

The Bronze Age Vatin culture has been known in archaeology as a cultural phenomenon distinguished by a specific material culture which existed between c. 2200 to 1600 B.C. in the region of the southern part of the Panonnian Plain and the area along the lower Sava river and south of the Danube river. The Vatin culture followed Early Bronze Age cultures in the region, indicating stabilization in this area after the disintegration of the Aeneolithic Vučedol culture by tribes from Russian steppe (Garašanin 1979, p. 504; cf. Ljuština 2012, pp.148 – 157; Gogâltan 2017, p.32, Fig. 3).

Vatin is the product of the Yamnaya migrations which created IE Vucedol. It's the same group. Maybe it'll have more WHG origins like Mokrin or maybe it's very similar to the ancestry of Vucedol.

@Paleo-Revenge Don't you get tired with posting conspiracy theories every few weeks? This will not be forgotten:

unknown.png

You have a political agenda and it's been exposed countless times. It's better if you stop wasting everyone's time with your cheap propaganda which is plain for everyone to see and it's the reason why you post such stuff. Learn more about your own language and culture (Macedonian/Bulgarian) and stop spreading propaganda about a culture with which you have nothing in common with (Albanian).

Paleo-Revenge's posts are becoming so ludicrous that he posted a "map" which shows Daunian settlements to claim that a "different language" was spoken by Messapians. The map shows Messapic inscriptions in Daunian sites because the language is called Messapic and the people who spoke it are the Iapygians which formed several tribes.

They are the same exact people and they're not considered to belong to different people. Nobody claims so, not even Matzinger who considers the Messapic-speakers to be the fusion between Proto-Messapians of the Proto-Messapic-Albanian grouping + Cetina culture in Dalmatia from where they emigrated to Italy.

The ridiculous idea that Messapians are a different people from Daunians was revitalized by one banned person here on eupedia because he didn't like the idea that Daunians are J-L283 and R-Z2103.

The rest of his post belongs to the fantasy world of the Yugoslav nationalist Paleo-Revenge. It's a case study that he can't understand a single thing about what is going around him, but I guess that's one of the reasons why he's confined to writing ramblings on eupedia.

"Glasinac is the last culture to intrude into Dardani space, and it was firmly stopped, it made no headway beyond western Kosovo."

Keep dreaming and seek help for your anti-Albanianism.

I don't know about this, but i am quite confident there is some sock puppet accounts roaming around. Just look at Straboo over there, an Irish person heavily involved in Balkan archaeology? Glasinac, Cetina, Bubanj-Hum, Psenicevo, Babadag. What are the odds one random Irishman would give a damn shit about Balkan Bronze Age and would constitute 99% of his writing?

Excine seems to be far more butthurt and creates imaginary scenarios that people didn't want J2b2-L283 to be part of Cetina Early Bronze Age, but meantime Excine doesn't want E-V13 to be part of any major Bronze Age Culture. They play this game several years hence why he is so butthurt E-V13 to be associated with Thracians. He wants for E-V13 to remain anonymous, insignificant "gypsies" which rose to number during Roman age.

The 2 Himera samples are not more northern than the northern Illyrians. They have a bit less additional WHG ancestry than the northernmost Illyrians and Illyrians also weren't a Danubian people.

Hawk probably meant geography wise.

And they are not Illyrians. Even the only E-V13 among "Illyrians" shows affinities with Slovenian IA and Hungarian IA, which are all in tune with Riverman's proposal. Which begs the question, is the HRV IA E-V13 guy even a Illyrian or some La Tene/ east Alp Celt?

EzqAGKT.png

On the other hand, now it is doubtless thatthe northern part of the West Morava valley within the Čačak region makes a border zone between two bigger cultural manifestations of the Early Bronze Age in the Central Balkans -Belotić–
Bela Crkva and Bubanj Hum III.During the Middle Bronze Age it appears that the West Morava valley and itssurroundings played the same role. As it was indicated by the analyzed material from Mojsinje, Miločaj and Dobrača necropolises, it was possible to establish a certain zone withmixed material, characteristic for the so called Western Serbian variant of the Vatin cultureon the one side (western Serbia) and the Paraćin I culture on the other (central, eastern and southern Serbia).The Late Bronze Age represents a period with not as many investigated sites as the previous ones, but even operating with smaller numbers, there was a possibility to establish a basic picture. A strong influence from the Danube cultural circle (Urnfield complex) isnotable on the material. It is most obvious in use of the fluted ornament and polishing of the pottery. As in the previous phases, it is the strong cultural influence on the autochthonous base, which strongly kept its funerary models. It means that even during the Late BronzeAge, the same part of the West Morava valley can be marked as transitional, having various characteristics in the material reflecting strong influences from nearby cultural centers.

It is obvious that the West Morava valley downstream from the Ovčar -Kablar gorge to the Kraljevo narrowing represents indeed transitional territory between already defined cultural groups which existed in the wider territory of Serbia to thesouth of the rivers Sava and Danube. It can be comprehended as a contact zone betweencultural groups during the entire development of the Bronze Age. Particular significance ofthis region lasts even during the next millennia. Regarding burial customs, the same role ofthis region is noticed during the Iron Age (Dmitrović and Ljuština 2008). After D. (Срејовић 1979, p.83), the funerary customs were the basis for determining the border between Palaeo-Balkanic tribes Dardanians and Triballoi along the line Western– SouthernMorava. This concept is generally followed in the recent works by R. Vasić (cf. Vasić 2004a;Vasić 2004b), at least to the extent of shaping territorial spread of the mentioned Palaeo-Balkanic ethnic groups.

The paper links Bela Crkva with a western variant of Vatin. The trail goes cold with this group as it fuses with Illyrians. And this group has nothing to do with Dardani, the author do not even suggest it but how do you explain that to a donkey that can't even look up the Bela Crkva sites on a map.

And I am certain this why you are tripping up and getting carried away. The author makes a point that the eastern border of this culture is reminiscent of the Glasinac vs Zlot Grop and Glasinac vs Brnjica demarcation line in the Iron Age. While in a way that is correct, how the border ended up in the IA relates to different events and turn overs of cultures. The author is not in any way making a link between Bela Crkva and Dardani, that's some low IQ interpretation, the suggestion is not even hinted.

The Bronze Age Vatin culture has been known in archaeology as a cultural phenomenon distinguished by a specific material culture which existed between c. 2200 to 1600 B.C. in the region of the southern part of the Panonnian Plain and the area along the lower Sava river and south of the Danube river. The Vatin culture followed Early Bronze Age cultures in the region, indicating stabilization in this area after the disintegration of the Aeneolithic Vučedol culture by tribes from Russian steppe (Garašanin 1979, p. 504; cf. Ljuština 2012, pp.148 – 157; Gogâltan 2017, p.32, Fig. 3).

Vatin is the product of the Yamnaya migrations which created IE Vucedol. It's the same group. Maybe it'll have more WHG origins like Mokrin or maybe it's very similar to the ancestry of Vucedol.

The same or not, Vatin is not Illyrian. Nor is Vucedol the golden key that just makes absurd incoherent theories work, because Vucedol. For starters, Vatin cremated. Illyrians did not.

@Paleo-Revenge Don't you get tired with posting conspiracy theories every few weeks? This will not be forgotten:

What conspiracies you inbred from Martinovici? You and Brumi are one and the same.

You have a political agenda and it's been exposed countless times. It's better if you stop wasting everyone's time with your cheap propaganda which is plain for everyone to see and it's the reason why you post such stuff. Learn more about your own language and culture (Macedonian/Bulgarian) and stop spreading propaganda about a culture with which you have nothing in common with (Albanian).

Hey dummy, I exposed your phony G25s. Why don't you and your alter ego dare to post them again on AG? Delusional inbred, exposing you as a fraud and a crook, in what world do you get the impression that makes me look bad?
Every time you collide with me, I wipe my as$ with your face.

the intelligence levels between the 2 people behind the names are very different ................so I will say......I do not think so

WHG1.png

The Caucasian profile is irrelevant because it's very low coverage but it also doesn't have any additional WHG origins:

Target: ITA_Sicily_Himera_480BCE_5:I10951
Distance: 2.8441% / 0.02844100
49.6 GEO_CHG
23.8 TUR_Barcin_N
18.0 Yamnaya_RUS_Samara
5.2 Israel_Natufian
3.4 IRN_Ganj_Dareh_N

The G2a sample is pre-Vucedol, there is just one sample from Croatia and he's R-Z2103. There are two possibly Vucedol related samples in Croatia, one R1b-M343+ with no further designation and another I-M223 but this may not even be from Vucedol culture but from groups related to EPC.

https://www.academia.edu/6024027/So...roups_in_the_region_of_the_West_Morava_valley

unknown.png

Why would you split SRB_Iron Gates HG from WHG, it's basically the same. So, there you have it, 2 samples with WHG, then again leaning more toward Serbian Iron Gates WHG than general Western European WHG, which means leaning toward Danube.

I don't know about this, but i am quite confident there is some sock puppet accounts roaming around. Just look at Straboo over there, an Irish person heavily involved in Balkan archaeology? Glasinac, Cetina, Bubanj-Hum, Psenicevo, Babadag. What are the odds one random Irishman would give a damn shit about Balkan Bronze Age and would constitute 99% of his writing?

Excine seems to be far more butthurt and creates imaginary scenarios that people didn't want J2b2-L283 to be part of Cetina Early Bronze Age, but meantime Excine doesn't want E-V13 to be part of any major Bronze Age Culture. They play this game several years hence why he is so butthurt E-V13 to be associated with Thracians. He wants for E-V13 to remain anonymous, insignificant "gypsies" which rose to number during Roman age.

I thought his mother was croatian

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 230025 times.

Back