Ancient DNA from Hungary-Christine Gamba et al

Well I've always posted here that I did not believe my Baltic ancestors coming to current lands on their chariots and shiny weapons :)
Some clans figured out how to do simple but somewhat better farming + animals in forests. This let them populate huge areas in North Europe as corded.
However this is only (first bunch of r1a) half of IE story, history of r1b + later Iranic r1a could be much more violent...

I'm not sure I follow. If the advance notice about the Corded Ware paper is correct, Corded Ware culture was an offshoot of Yamnaya, yes? I'm not saying, of course, that their advance wouldn't have incorporated northern "hunter-gatherer" types who perhaps already had some ANE. Plus, people like the Lithuanians had to get their 36% EEF from somewhere, and if the Admixture chart on this paper is correct, none of it is Stuttgart.

I totally agree that chariots would not have been part of the original advances. As I've pointed out before, chariots were only "invented" about 2,000 BC, and I think it's still an open question whether the whole idea came from south of the Caucasus. Regardless, you're right, they wouldn't have been of much use in dense forest, or in the Alps, for example. :)

There is a post under Ancient DNA which says Corded was 70% Yamnaya which is more than any modern pop, and of modern populations Balts (+Estonians) are the closest to Yamnaya.
Hence my wild assumption. Yamnaya -> Corded -> Balts. I believe this is where we got our r1a dads and our Balt language.

Yamnaya is heck of a interesting case. It is at the northern frontier which Farmers never completely breached and didn't fully assimilate Hunter Gatherers living there. We have very successful Cucuteni farmers to the west and north-west of Black Sea, and Yamnaya HGs to the North. Were the HGs too numerous around these big rivers' fishing grounds? Were winters there too long and too harsh for ancient farmers and their crops? Probably the combination. Some historians (like David Anthony) believe that Corded Ware culture arose from combination of Cucuteni and Yamnaya. They've become farmers who could supplement their diet by hunting wild games, in case their crops failed. Perhaps the beginning of Indo Europeans? I think these Bronze Age Corded folks' genom will be very close to modern North-Eastern European one. I don't think there was huge population change afterwards, although some shift towards more ANE could have happened with time.

"Were the HGs too numerous around these big rivers' fishing grounds?"

There were pottery using sedentary HG cultures around the Black Sea before agriculture so I think that implies high food density and therefore relatively high population density (for foragers).

As a secondary thought sedentary pottery using foragers would be partially pre-adapted for farming.

My guess is with lower sea levels the current rims of the Black, Caspian and Baltic seas were actually dense wetlands supporting large forager populations.

That's not the only reason. The mere lack of EEF also causes an eastward shift. Balts for instance appear east of Orcadians, but not because they have more ANE (they don't, when divided by the WHG amount), but because they have less EEF.
It's more the Balkan populations and south Italians who experienced Caucasic, Iranian and alike admixtures. As we know, mongol admixture is only relevant in Finns, Uralics and Russians, but even there it is still very minor and also it is not known which shift east-asian admixture would cause (East Asians have less ANE than most europeans, see here (reference).). East asian is very different from "West-Asian" and would be an own dimension, almost impossible to squeeze into the two-dimensions of a PCA plot. The PCA plot looks quite nice because it mostly represents approximately the three main populations from Lazaridis' et al paper, which still are easy enough to fit into a two-dimension plot.

And then ANE has more than one source. In northern Europe it is more often of mesolithic origin, especially in NE-Europe, as can be seen by the ANE/WHG ratio which is not at all higher in NE Europe than elsewhere. Only in SE-central Europe and Italy (skyrocketing ANE/WHG ratio) but also (to a lesser extent) NW-Europe it also more-or-less came as "West-Asian" package from Caucasus-like and iranic peoples or IEans. Mongols are completely different.

"And then ANE has more than one source."

I think it may turn out that there is an IE segment of ANE (which expanded dramatically and became the biggest) and various non-IE segments tucked away in regions that weren't suitable for horse pastoralists with the various segments having a substrate layer in common e.g. bits of their mythology.

Aberdeen;443000] ANE may tell us less than we'd hoped about the IE dispersal in Eastern Europe, simply because ANE was already present in Eastern Europe before the Bronze Age. Whereas it presumably wasn't present in Western Europe until the spread of R1b. So I'm not sure it's helpful to compare ANE levels in Basques and Lithuanians in order to try to figure out anything about the Indo-European dispersal.

I agree that it's not going to be as informative a "marker" as we'd hoped, especially as Reich and company are having problems figuring out how much was present in the Ancient Karelians, and I don't know if they'd be able to figure out if any ANE remained from the SHGs.

As for the idea that the replacement of earlier languages by IE languages in Europe happened in many cases during the Iron Age, history already tells us that. But, IMO, that calls into question the idea that IE folk raced across Europe on horseback to create the massive amounts of R1b in Atlantic Europe. IMO, either that happened during the Iron Age or Atlantic R1b arrived during the late Neolithic and wasn't IE.

Hopefully, the Samarra paper should be able to tell us if the yDna in Yamnaya included R1a and R1b or not. For all we know, other people are testing Yamnaya remains as well.

Wherever R1a and R1b were, I don't think they could have been too separated spatially. Also from Razib Khan's blog:
" One showed a Bayesian skyline plot which illustrated that many of the Y chromosomal lineages you know and love went through very rapid population expansion on the order of 5 to 10 thousand years ago. A second poster had a phylogeny of Y chromosomes derived from high coverage whole genome sequencing. They had four individuals from the R1 lineages, two of them from R1a1a. One individual was Indian and the other was Russian. The coalescence was ~5,000 years ago. The individual who did this analysis was not aware of the Bayesian skyline plot poster, so she immediately ran off to look at it when I told her. The coalescence with R1b for the R1a individuals was ~10,000 years ago."

I could see both of them on the steppe, perhaps with R1a slightly north of R1b. However, there are other possibilities. Perhaps R1b was more toward the Caucasus and also a bit south of the Caucasus (We certainly have R1b V88 south of the Caucasus, although that split off earlier.) and R1a initially just north of the Caucasus. Whether R1b headed west earlier, I don't know.

Aberdeen: I think that if someone wants to plot modern population groups based on older groups, it should be based on WHG, EEF, EHG and West Asian, while recognizing that the latter two both included ANE.

My proposal was WHG, EHG, and an early Near Eastern farmer (when we get a good sample), plus ANE. You may be right, and ANE won't prove as helpful as a category, and shouldn't be part of the model, although we'd have to keep in mind that EHG contained "lots" of ANE. Now that you bring it up, I do think that EEF is important as a category as well, as that gives us a way to track the movement of groups like LBK all through Europe. I think we agree that the model will change. The Lazardis paper said that it would change as they got more ancient samples. The important one will be getting a good quality sample for one of the first Near Eastern farmers, hopefully before they set sail for Europe. At the same time, different models are helpful for tracking different population movements. What we have to get our heads around is that there's been admixture upon admixture in western Eurasia, jumbling up the genes so that disentangling it is very difficult.

I guess my problem with referring to EHG as Karelians is that modern Karelians are a linguistic group who speak a language that didn't yet exist when Proto-IE was being developed.

Maybe the entire area from near Finland to the Black Sea and east from there was populated by ancient Karelian type people. Uralic languages and Indo-European languages developed near each other, Uralic to the north and Indo-European in the rest of the area.

Aberdeen...the dominance of IE in Europe seems to have been created by the Celtic expansion, the Greek colonization of Italy, the Roman Empire, the creation of the German language and subsequent German expansion and the Slavic expansion. The first two are a mixture of Bronze Age and Iron Age and the last three are Iron Age events.

Again, we agree here. I even think we've already discussed it on this site. It has always seemed to me that a lot of this changed very late, especially in terms of language. When the Romans conquered Iberia, a huge chunk of it was still not speaking Indo-European languages. Even genetically, that central European signal into Iberia is dated to around 2,000 BC. The genetics of southern Italy was heavily impacted, perhaps, by Greek colonization starting around, what, 800 BC? What about the impact of the various Gothic tribes and Lombard tribes on Central Europe and perhaps eastern Europe? (By the time they got to Italy and Spain, it seems that they were too few in number and too admixed to have made much of an autosomal impact.)Then we have changes genetically going on in certain parts of Europe into the early Medieval period, i.e. Anglo-Saxons and then Vikings into Britain. Then look at the huge impact the Slavic migrations had on the Balkans and east into places like Germany perhaps. The paper that included the "Thracian" individuals showed that we still had groups of very "Otzi" like people living among very IR1 steppe nomad like people very late in European history.

I know you didn't raise this issue, but as to this "catchphrase" about the revenge of the hunter-gatherers, I'm afraid it misses the point. Had the H/G's of Europe not adopted agriculture, whether through incorporation into EEF communities or admixture with EEF communities, or because they were later "Indo-Europeanized" and therefore learned farming and herding (which after all is an outgrowth of farming) along with getting an infusion of some new genes, they would have wound up as few in number and as isolated as the SAAMI. Once they did adopt it, their numbers were able to increase. Now, how many of the HG's in far northeastern and far northwestern refugia came south over thousands of years in a sort of steady drip, how many were incorporated in far eastern Europe and came west with the Indo-Europeans, and how many came into Central and northwestern Europe via the Goths etc. (and how admixed they were by that time) in the early medieval period, I don't know.

I've tried to stay out of this discussion because I don't know nearly as much about genetics as most of the people posting in this thread. But I'm increasingly wondering whether the ANE classification is really relevant for discussing the genetics of Bronze Age Europe and what impact the Indo-Europeans had on the genetics of different parts of Europe. If Mal'ta Boy and his relatives who presumably had descendants = ANE, there were a lot of millennia for those descendants to spread and mingle with others. So West Asian is apparently 1/3 ANE. But I suspect that at least some of the Eastern Hunter Gatherers had high levels of ANE, and in fact we know that the Corded War people had a lot of ANE. I don't think saying "proto-IE" explains it. The hunter gatherers living in the Russian forest probably had high levels of ANE and many of them probably had Y haplotype R1a. And now we're hearing of tweets from the big conference saying that the Yamna folk who were probably proto-IE test genetically as a mixture of EHG and Armenian. I suspect that a lot of the ANE found in eastern European populations doesn't come from Indo-Europeans but from the EHG folk they conquered. So comparing ANE levels in Basques and Lithuanians may not make sense if it came from different populations. And any ANE in R1b types in Anatolia may have gotten there by a very different route than the ANE in the Baltic.

A simple explanation would be if EHG were all ANE and then IE derived from one segment of EHG before expanding dramatically. If so there would be both IE clades of R1a and non-IE clades of R1a.

I was musing somewhat at the PCA chart with various pullings in relation to 3 major admixtures.

1. Why Basques are located exactly above EEF/NE farmers, and not to the east? When the former contain substantial ANE, which EEF shouldn't have at all. Basques should be east from NE samples, much closer to Spanish ones.
2. Sardinian and NE farmers don't have ANE admixture, however Sardinians plot to the West from NE but on same latitude. Actually they, with extra WHG mixture, should have plotted exactly North off NE samples. In place of Basques.
3. La Brania HG, Bra2 sample, plots way to the West from the rest of Hunter Gatherers.

ncomms6257-f2.jpg

I came up with this explanation. There is one extra component in the game. The "Western" component which pulls samples, not affected by ANE, along West-East axes. It causes EEF samples to fluctuate West-East while ANE admixture is completely missing, therefore unable to perform such action. Farthermore, I think that this Western component (possibly related to ancient North African Hunter Gatherer admixture?) is contained in WHG admixture. I suppose there are 2 major elements in WHG admixture. One is strongly pulling West the other North, with compounded vector of pull towards North-West.
Hunter Gatherers in Iberian refuge during LGM met HGs from west Africa? Completing creation of WHG from their combine genome, if I may unleash my fantasy. :)

This Western in WHG component is strong in Basques, equalises ANE easterly pull and holds them on par with EEF on W-E axes. It pulls Sardinians and Ice Man to the West from EEF (although Sardinians might gotten some extra pull West from more recent migrations from Africa?). It pulls HG Bra2, born in Spain, most westernly in regards to the rest of HGs.

The effect of West component seems to be 3-5 times weaker than pull of North component. WHG genome = 75% North, 25% West. Mind that North and West are not locations but directions of pull.

I'm wondering about this as well - two components in WHG, a northern one and a southern, possibly NW African related, one, not huge but big enough to distort.

There is a post under Ancient DNA which says Corded was 70% Yamnaya which is more than any modern pop, and of modern populations Balts (+Estonians) are the closest to Yamnaya.
Hence my wild assumption. Yamnaya -> Corded -> Balts. I believe this is where we got our r1a dads and our Balt language.

You're making a few leaps here. What is the Y Dna break down for the Balts and Estonians? Subclades for R1a would be very important in trying to figure out the source and timing for the different types of R1a.

Of course, we don't even know the precise breakdown for the Yamnaya Y DNA yet.

Also, let's not forget that autosomally, it's been leaked that the Yamnaya were 50% ancient Karelian type hunter and 50% Armenian type farmer.

Thanks for your comments, Angela, but perhaps I wasn't clear enough about what I was saying. I'm not at all surprised that IE=EHF + farmers from the Caucausus. Nor am I surprised that the farmers from the Caucausus are a mixture of early Middle Eastern Farmer and ANE. But I'm also not surprised that EHF seems to be a mixture of WHG (or something similar and ANE - that was kind of my point. ANE may tell us less than we'd hoped about the IE dispersal in Eastern Europe, simply because ANE was already present in Eastern Europe before the Bronze Age. Whereas it presumably wasn't present in Western Europe until the spread of R1b. So I'm not sure it's helpful to compare ANE levels in Basques and Lithuanians in order to try to figure out anything about the Indo-European dispersal. As for the idea that the replacement of earlier languages by IE languages in Europe happened in many cases during the Iron Age, history already tells us that. But, IMO, that calls into question the idea that IE folk raced across Europe on horseback to create the massive amounts of R1b in Atlantic Europe. IMO, either that happened during the Iron Age or Atlantic R1b arrived during the late Neolithic and wasn't IE.

"But, IMO, that calls into question the idea that IE folk raced across Europe on horseback to create the massive amounts of R1b in Atlantic Europe. IMO, either that happened during the Iron Age or Atlantic R1b arrived during the late Neolithic and wasn't IE."

Or maybe that the IE label needs sub-dividing into two?

Stage 1) PIE where steppe HGs transition into pastoralists
Stage 2) Full IE horse culture package

so maybe R1b from stage (1) and R1a from stage (2).

I guess my problem with referring to EHG as Karelians is that modern Karelians are a linguistic group who speak a language that didn't yet exist when Proto-IE was being developed. I think that if someone wants to plot modern population groups based on older groups, it should be based on WHG, EEF, EHG and West Asian, while recognizing that the latter two both included ANE. And while I wouldn't be too quick to reject the bloody image of IE warriors, given that they were apparently the first people to manufacture large amounts of bronze weapons, the dominance of IE in Europe seems to have been created by the Celtic expansion, the Greek colonization of Italy, the Roman Empire, the creation of the German language and subsequent German expansion and the Slavic expansion. The first two are a mixture of Bronze Age and Iron Age and the last three are Iron Age events.

"the creation of the German language and subsequent German expansion ... and the last three are Iron Age events"

I think the first stage of this was pre Iron Age hidden away north of the Carpathians with Globular Amphora etc. The bit (currently) known to history is the Iron Age bit.

IMO corded ware were R1a Yamnaya people moving north and northwest
and some of their tribes spoke proto-Baltic
but i don't know :
did they come all the way till Latvia some 2900 BC, or did they arrive later, in a subsequent move?

You're making a few leaps here. What is the Y Dna break down for the Balts and Estonians? Subclades for R1a would be very important in trying to figure out the source and timing for the different types of R1a.

Also, let's not forget that autosomally, it's been leaked that the Yamnaya were 50% ancient Karelian type hunter and 50% Armenian type farmer.
It is only my intuition.
On the points raised:
R1a in Balts should be OK for that reason. Different (Euro) clades and subclades according to some study.

I calculated a bit based on wild assumptions and figure 10 from Hungarian Paper.
I assumed
Karelians would look 50/50 orange/blue
Armenians from paper 50/16/16/16 blue/red/green/orange
Yamna assumed as 50/50 of above then looks 50/33/8/8 blue/orange/green/red. Which is actually according same paper most similar to ...... Adygeys. And capital of Adygea is ........ Maykop.
Cool, is not it? :) I googled Adygeys and my mouth opened wide :)

As to Balts (Lithuanians), if we assume 50% of average Yamna related ancestry then other 50% would on average come from folk 80% orange/20% green to match figure 10 proportions. If Karelian assumption is wrong in orange/blue proportions, then the Other 50% folk would have to also be more blue/orange.

Arvistro:There is a post under Ancient DNA which says Corded was 70% Yamnaya which is more than any modern pop, and of modern populations Balts (+Estonians) are the closest to Yamnaya.

Angela: You're making a few leaps here. What is the Y Dna break down for the Balts and Estonians? Subclades for R1a would be very important in trying to figure out the source and timing for the different types of R1a.

As to Corded Ware, if they were 70% Yamnaya, and Yamnaya was 50% "Armenian type" farmer, then Corded Ware would have been 35% "Armenian type" farmer? Some of that might be going into the ANE category. Still, that is pretty close to the 36% EEF number for the Lithuanians.

However, what was the remaining 30% of Corded Ware? What combination of farmer and hunter gatherer? I suppose the upcoming Lazaridis paper will tell us.

Interesting that they found "G" and "I" or "J" in two Corded remains from 2800 B.C. I had assumed it was "G2a" of Stuttgart variety and maybe I2a of WHG variety. However, given that there's "G" of a more Caucasus type and we now have a Bronze Age Indo European with J2a1, maybe not.

See Jean Manco's page on Copper Age ancient dna:
http://www.ancestraljourneys.org/ancientdna.shtml

Off topic, but it just occurred to me that the royal houses of Europe may have preserved the yDna signatures (and maybe even the phenotype) of these steppe people more than the rest of us. If the Bourbons were really G2a, maybe it was G2a of a type that arrived with Iron Age people, and not with the early European farmers. There was that paper, which I can't put my hands on now, that found G2a in knights of the Medieval period.

For what it's worth my model is (currently)

Stage 1)
I think ANE = mammoth steppe HG and WHG = coastal rim HG and if you look at a map of the extent of the mammoth steppe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammoth_steppe#mediaviewer/File:Last_glacial_vegetation_map.png

you can see although the center of gravity is far to the east the edges reach right into western Europe so as the ice retreated it wouldn't be surprising that the northwest of Europe would be repopulated by both WHG and ANE while the northeast was repopulated by mostly ANE.

So in simple terms after the LGM i think the population of Europe was split into roughly four quadrants:
SW Europe = WHG
SE Europe = WHG
NW Europe = WHG + ANE
NE Europe = ANE

(although as a separate issue i think there's also two components buried inside WHG)

Stage 2)
Farmers from somewhere expanded into Europe displacing the HGs almost everywhere except the peripheries (Atlantic coast and northern forests) and some interior regions that were too mountainous or swampy to farm and became c. 90% of the population of Europe. This eventually leading to a densely settled southern and central Europe and a much more lightly settled northern forest and western Atlantic coastal periphery.

Stage 3)
Something happened on the edge of the steppe that led to R1b moving south and west - possibly being pushed by forces from the east - but not as conquerors (as the distribution of R1b and R1a doesn't fit that imo) so instead of attacking densely settled Cardium and LBK instead they went around them by three routes:
a) north of the Carpathians
b) up the Danube but then diverted away from LBK through Croatia into northern Italy and southern France
c) maritime
with either one or other of (b) or (c) or both at different times leading to their arrival in Iberia and movement along the Atlantic coast.

Stage 4)
It's only when R1b - possibly pre-adapted with LP from their steppe or near-steppe origins - arrive in the northern forest and Atlantic coastal zones on the periphery of Europe where crop farming is weak that they experience a major population explosion (and LP sweep) through a cattle-centric dairying form of farming and it's that population explosion (incorporating HG survivors) that leads to the big fight with LBK and a significant bouncing back of the original displaced HGs. The last echoes of this west to east and north to south expansion extending into historical times with the eastward Celtic expansion down the Danube.

Stage 5)
Not really a separate stage but ongoing during stages (3) and (4) is an ongoing gradual push of R1a (at least the IE variants of R1a) westwards into the Balkans and eastern Europe.

"But, IMO, that calls into question the idea that IE folk raced across Europe on horseback to create the massive amounts of R1b in Atlantic Europe. IMO, either that happened during the Iron Age or Atlantic R1b arrived during the late Neolithic and wasn't IE."

Or maybe that the IE label needs sub-dividing into two?

Stage 1) PIE where steppe HGs transition into pastoralists
Stage 2) Full IE horse culture package

so maybe R1b from stage (1) and R1a from stage (2).

Which flavor of R1a? Were the R1a forest steppe people a different type of R1a from the Yamnaya Indo European R1a, presuming it's there? Or was there an R1a which was the original Yamnaya R1a and then a more "Iranic" type of R1a that showed up with the Iron Age invasions?

Which flavor of R1a? Were the R1a forest steppe people a different type of R1a from the Yamnaya Indo European R1a, presuming it's there? Or was there an R1a which was the original Yamnaya R1a and then a more "Iranic" type of R1a that showed up with the Iron Age invasions?

Yes quite - labeling on this is a nightmare.

I think "IE" may need three sub-divisions or three labels:
1) a very early mammoth steppe HG version with some cultural similarities extending over a huge area from Europe to America
2) a pastoralist but pre horse culture version which expanded over the steppe and near the edges
3) a specific population within (2) that developed the full horse pastoralist culture, expanded, and probably displaced most of (2) who weren't protected by terrain.

So I think there may be HG descended R1a clades tucked away in very remote regions, early pastoralist clades tucked away in semi-remote regions and the main IE clades which came to dominate the space originally shared with lots of other ANE sub-groups.

In the context of my previous comment I was talking about the latter - the traditional full horse pastoralist version of IE.

J-Y3021*

• id:NA20534 TSI

TSI=Toscani in Italia
http://www.yfull.com/tree/J-Y3021/

what is this TSI mean?

Is it the old system of 4 years ago when it meant , Italy, Alps and Balkans or is it something different?

some of the old ones below

ASW - African ancestry in Southwest USA
CEU - Utah residents with Northern and Western European ancestry from the CEPH collection
CHB - Han Chinese in Beijing, China
CHD - Chinese in Metropolitan Denver, Colorado
GIH - Gujarati Indians in Houston, Texas
JPT - Japanese in Tokyo, Japan
LWK - Luhya in Webuye, Kenya
MXL - Mexican ancestry in Los Angeles, California
MKK - Maasai in Kinyawa, Kenya
TSI - Toscani in Italia
YRI - Yoruba in Ibadan, Nigeria
and more

Yes quite - labeling on this is a nightmare.

I think "IE" may need three sub-divisions or three labels:
1) a very early mammoth steppe HG version with some cultural similarities extending over a huge area from Europe to America
2) a pastoralist but pre horse culture version which expanded over the steppe and near the edges
3) a specific population within (2) that developed the full horse pastoralist culture, expanded, and probably displaced most of (2) who weren't protected by terrain.

So I think there may be HG descended R1a clades tucked away in very remote regions, early pastoralist clades tucked away in semi-remote regions and the main IE clades which came to dominate the space originally shared with lots of other ANE sub-groups.

In the context of my previous comment I was talking about the latter - the traditional full horse pastoralist version of IE.

Indo-European is a specific cultural and linguistic term, and Proto-Indo-European is probably much younger than the split of R1 into R1a and R1b. And if Yamna culture is a mixture of EHG and a Caucasian group, it probably has more than one Y haplotype. You can't just equate R1a with IE, even though I think it likely that the EHG part of Yamna was predominantly R1a.

This thread has been viewed 161124 times.

Back