Are Suabi behind two Galicias?

That's actually not quite true. In Moesans's extensive list of Gaelic words, I found various English words with parallels in Gaelic, but not (as far as I am aware) in Germanic (Anglo-Saxons) or French (Normans), From the top of my head, I recall: Baby, doll, boy, girl ..
I`d furthermore assume some Celtic influence in the English Great Vowel Shift.

You're actually quite mistaken on all counts.

The Great Vowel Shift happened in England during the period from about 1350 to 1700, after the influence of Celtic languages in England had faded, and it involved a change in the pronunciation of vowels away from the Continental or Latin pronunciation, as the influence of Latin and Norman French on English pronunciation began to decrease. The change was less pronounced in Scots English, perhaps because Gaelic pronunciation still had some influence on the pronunciation of Scots English, even though Scots English didn't borrow very many Gaelic words.

The word baby is of unknown origin but first appears in Middle English and does not relate to any Welsh or Gaelic word for baby. The word doll first appeared in the 16th century, probably derived from the name "Dorothy" and it originally meant an attractive woman. The word "boy" is derived from Frisean and related to the German word bube, which I believe can mean knave, rogue or boy. I've been told that the German version is still used in Bristol dialect. The word "girl" first appeared in Middle English and comes from the Anglo-Saxon word "gerle".

You're actually quite mistaken on all counts.

The Great Vowel Shift happened in England during the period from about 1350 to 1700, after the influence of Celtic languages in England had faded, and it involved a change in the pronunciation of vowels away from the Continental or Latin pronunciation, as the influence of Latin and Norman French on English pronunciation began to decrease. The change was less pronounced in Scots English, perhaps because Gaelic pronunciation still had some influence on the pronunciation of Scots English, even though Scots English didn't borrow very many Gaelic words.

The word baby is of unknown origin but first appears in Middle English and does not relate to any Welsh or Gaelic word for baby. The word doll first appeared in the 16th century, probably derived from the name "Dorothy" and it originally meant an attractive woman. The word "boy" is derived from Frisean and related to the German word bube, which I believe can mean knave, rogue or boy. I've been told that the German version is still used in Bristol dialect. The word "girl" first appeared in Middle English and comes from the Anglo-Saxon word "gerle".

As you are tempting me:
  • Baby: gael. bábóg = doll; gael. beag = little. For a word of "unknown origin", these two possible roots definitely deserve more than a little consideration.
  • Doll: gael. dealbh = statue, reproduction; obviously linked to the Latin idolon. Definitely more plausible than "doll" being derived from "Dorothy" .
  • Boy: gael. buachaill = boy. There seems to have been a common etymology in many Germanic and Celtic languages /dialects. The term originally meant cowherd (cow-boy, see Latin bos = cattle), and was later expanded to today's meaning. Interestingly, the expansion did not cover all German dialects:The Junge<>Bube isogloss for English boy is well-studied inside Germany. It separates northern German ("Junge") from southern German ("Bube") dialects; the isogloss runs approximately from the Saarland north-easterly to Gießen, and from there easterly to the German- Czech border south of Plauen. Dutch also uses jongen. Why has English diverted from all continental Germanic areas that are assumed to have provided settlers? Celtic influence provides for a plausible explanation. However, I give you that the word boy itself is closer to the Germanic (Frisian) that the Celtic variation of the common IE root for cattle(-herder).
  • Girl: gael. caile = girl. The explanation from Germanic gerle (=dress, in old German used for male dresses as well) is not really convincing. Another possible Germanic root could be ger (n. fem) = desire, but I have problems imagining that English parents would mark their daughter as somebody (to be) desired be others. Neither German, nor Dutch, nor Danish, has anything remotely similar to "girl". Celtic remains to me the most plausible explanation.

The Great Vowel Shift, as so many other sound changes, is well documented phonetically but hardly explained historically. One of the explanations I have read is mass migrations into Southern England after the 14th century Black Death. These mass migrations would have brought many people from less anglo-saxonised areas into the heartland of Anglo-Saxon settlement. Scotland, still an independent country at that time, would of course have been far less affected. Catholicism, i.e. continuing mass service in Latin, could also have promoted a more conservative, "Latin" pronunciation in Scotland.

I realise this is getting quite off-topic. Time for a separate thread?

In Eastern Karpatian region of Galicia there are 3 tribes of highlanders (gorale) with unusual names (for Slavs): Lemko, Boiko and Hutsul.

Don't know how related it is, but there used to be a tribe called Helisii in that region, according to Tacitus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helisii

these lugii people are Germanics

actually the historian Ptolemy states the Lugii in the same place of the vandals.............he never mentioned any Vandals

The Vistulans replaced the Lugii on the vistula river in souther Poland ..............~850AD

In Eastern Karpatian region of Galicia there are 3 tribes of highlanders (gorale) with unusual names (for Slavs): Lemko, Boiko and Hutsul.
Wikipedia says that Lemko and Boiko are exonyms that relate to the frequent use of the terms "lem" (but) and "bo je" (because it is) in the respective dialects. Smells a bit like folk etymology..
Assuming that -ko means "people", one could, however, also assume that the name Boko is derived from the Celtic Boi, who lent their name to Bohemia (home of the Boi). Lemko might relate to the Lemovi, an East Germanic tribe that originally settled in Eastern Pomerania between Rugiii and Goths, and migrated together with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutsuls
There are different versions for the origins of the name Hutsul. An explanation is that it comes from the Romanian word for "outlaw" (cf. Rom. hoţ - "thief", hoţul - "the thief"). Other explanations place their origins in the Slavic kochul - "wanderer", "migrant", in reference to their semi-nomadic lifestyle, to the name of the Turkic tribe of the Uzy, and even to the name of the Moravian Grand Duke Hetsyla.[1] However these are obsolete and non-academic assertions. No valid theories have been proposed yet.
We know of a historic tribe in that area whose name is thought to have been derived from "wanderer" - the Vandals! Just a coincidence ?

Anyway - off topic: Alongside the Helisi, Tacitus also mentions the Nahanarvali as part of the Lugii. -vali is of course a Latinisation of the German "Tal", so Nahanarvali are Neandertalers. They survived, and they spoke East Germanic (..ehm..)!

As you are tempting me:
  • Baby: gael. bábóg = doll; gael. beag = little. For a word of "unknown origin", these two possible roots definitely deserve more than a little consideration.
  • Doll: gael. dealbh = statue, reproduction; obviously linked to the Latin idolon. Definitely more plausible than "doll" being derived from "Dorothy" .
  • Boy: gael. buachaill = boy. There seems to have been a common etymology in many Germanic and Celtic languages /dialects. The term originally meant cowherd (cow-boy, see Latin bos = cattle), and was later expanded to today's meaning. Interestingly, the expansion did not cover all German dialects:The Junge<>Bube isogloss for English boy is well-studied inside Germany. It separates northern German ("Junge") from southern German ("Bube") dialects; the isogloss runs approximately from the Saarland north-easterly to Gießen, and from there easterly to the German- Czech border south of Plauen. Dutch also uses jongen. Why has English diverted from all continental Germanic areas that are assumed to have provided settlers? Celtic influence provides for a plausible explanation. However, I give you that the word boy itself is closer to the Germanic (Frisian) that the Celtic variation of the common IE root for cattle(-herder).
  • Girl: gael. caile = girl. The explanation from Germanic gerle (=dress, in old German used for male dresses as well) is not really convincing. Another possible Germanic root could be ger (n. fem) = desire, but I have problems imagining that English parents would mark their daughter as somebody (to be) desired be others. Neither German, nor Dutch, nor Danish, has anything remotely similar to "girl". Celtic remains to me the most plausible explanation.

The Great Vowel Shift, as so many other sound changes, is well documented phonetically but hardly explained historically. One of the explanations I have read is mass migrations into Southern England after the 14th century Black Death. These mass migrations would have brought many people from less anglo-saxonised areas into the heartland of Anglo-Saxon settlement. Scotland, still an independent country at that time, would of course have been far less affected. Catholicism, i.e. continuing mass service in Latin, could also have promoted a more conservative, "Latin" pronunciation in Scotland.

I realise this is getting quite off-topic. Time for a separate thread?

I'm not denying that the Celtic and Germanic languages share a common source, I'm just saying that your attempts to derive certain English words from Gaelic (which wasn't the Celtic language that was spoken in pre-Anglo-Saxon England) seem to me to be nonsensical. And I don't really see why imaginary "mass migrations" from "less anglo-saxonized areas into the heartland of Anglo-Saxon settlement" would have caused the English language to shift away from a Latinized approach to vowel pronunciation.

Last edited:
Could you explain more and expend on this thought?[/QUOTE

here Under : Wikipedia

The various names used since classicaltimes for the people known today as the Celtsare of disparate origins.

The name ΚελτοίKeltoiand Celtae isused in Greek and Latin, respectively, as the name of a people of theLaTène horizon in the region of the upperRhine andDanube duringthe 6th to 1st centuries BC in Greco-Romanethnography. The name is probably from a tribalself-designation, but its etymology is uncertain. Likewise, the nameof the ΓαλάταιGalatai /Galli isprobably from a tribal name, also of uncertain etymology.

The names of the Gaulsand of the Welsh,on the other hand, are taken from the designator used by the Germanicpeoples for Celtic- and Latin-speaking peoples,*walha-.

The linguistic sense of the name Celts,grouping all speakers of Celticlanguages, is modern. In particular, aside from a1st-century literary genealogy of Celtusthe grandson of Bretannosby Heracles, there is no record of the term "Celt" beingused in connection with the InsularCelts, the inhabitants of the BritishIsles during the Iron Age, prior to the 17thcentury.

[h=2]Contents[/h]

[h=2]Celts,Celtae[/h]The ethnonym Celts(Latin:Celtae;Ancient Greek:ΚελτοίKeltoi,later also ΚέλταιKeltai)seems to be based on a native Celtic tribal name (cf. Celticiin Portugal).[1]
Thename probably stems from the Indo-Europeanroot *kel- or *(s)kel-, but there are several such roots of variousmeanings: *kel- "to be prominent", *kel- "to drive orset in motion", *kel- "to strike or cut", etc.[2]The same element is present in a set of Hispano-Celticand Gaulishpersonal and family names: Celtiatus,Celtiatis(gen.), Arcelti(gen.), Concelti(gen.), Celtius,Celtus, Celtilla(fem.), Celta(fem.), and Celtilius.[3]
[h=3]Ancient uses[/h]The first literary reference to the Celtic people,as Κελτοί(Κeltoi),is by the Greek historian Hecataeusof Miletus in 517 BC; he locates the Keltoi tribein Rhenania (West/Southwest Germany). The next Greek reference to theKeltoi is by Herodotusin the mid-5th century BC. He says that "the river Ister(Danube)begins from the Keltoi and the city of Pyrene and so runs that itdivides Europe in the midst (now the Keltoi are outside the Pillarsof Heracles and border upon the Kynesians,who dwell furthest towards the sunset of all those who have theirdwelling in Europe)". This confused passage was generally laterinterpreted as implying that the homeland of the Celts was at thesource of the Danube, not in Spain/France.
Accordingto the 1st-century poet Partheniusof Nicaea, Celtus(Κελτός) wasthe son of Heraclesand Keltine(Κελτίνη),the daughter of Bretannus (Βρεττανός);this literary genealogy exists nowhere else and was not connectedwith any known cult.[4]Celtus became the eponymousancestor of Celts.[5]In Latin Celtacame in turn from Herodotus'word for the Gauls,Keltoi. TheRomans used Celtaeto refer to continental Gauls, but apparently not to InsularCelts. The latter were long dividedlinguistically into Goidelsand Brythons,although other research provides a more complex picture (see belowunder "Classification").
The name Celtiberiis used by DiodorusSiculus in the 1st century BC, of a people whichhe considered a mixture of Celtaeand Iberi.
[h=4]Celtici[/h]

Apana · Ambo/lli · f(ilia) · Celtica /Supertam(arica) · / [C] Miobri · /an(norum) · XXV · h(ic) ·s(ita) · e(st) · /Apanus · fr(ater) · f(aciendum)· c(uravit)
Aside from theCeltiberians—Lusones, Titi, Arevaci and Pelendones among others— whoinhabited large regions of central Spain, Greek and Roman geographersalso spoke of a people or group of peoples called Celticior Κελτικοί,living in the South of modern day Portugal, in the Alentejoregion, between the Tagusand the Guadianarivers.[6]They are first mentioned by Strabo,who wrote that they were the most numerous people inhabiting thatregion. Later, the description of Ptolemy shows a more reducedterritory, comprising the regions from Évorato Setúbal,being the coastal and southern areas occupied by the Turdetani.
A second group of Celticiwas mentioned by Pliny living in the region of Baeturia (northwesternAndalusia);he considered that they proceeded "of the Celtiberians from theLusitania, because of their religion, language, and because of thenames of their cities".[7]
In the North, in Galicia,another group of Celtici[8]dwelt the coastal areas. They comprised several populi,including the Celtici proper: the Praestamarcisouth of the Tambreriver (Tamaris),the Supertamarcinorth of it, and the Neriby the Celtic promontory (PromunturiumCelticum). PomponiusMela affirmed that all the inhabitants of thecoastal regions, from the bays of southern Galicia and till theAstures,were also Celtici: "All (this coast) is inhabited by theCeltici, except from the Douroriver to the bays, where the Grovi dwelt (…) Inthe north coast first there are the Artabri, still of the Celticpeople (Celticae gentis),and after them the Astures."[9]He also mentioned the fabulous isles of tin, the Cassiterides,as situated among these Celtici.[10]
The Celtici Supertarmarci have also left a number ofinscriptions,[11]as the Celtici Flavienses did.[12]Several villages and rural parishes still bear the name Céltigos(from Latin Celticos)in Galicia. This is also the name of an archpriesthood of theCatholic Church, a division of the archbishopric of Santiagode Compostela, encompassing part of the landsattributed to the Celtici Supertamarci by ancient authors.[13]
[h=3]Introduction in Early Modern lite[/h]

to Lebrok
sorry for the cut

Sorry: I wrote to quickly maybe: I thought the first mention of Celtoi was done by Greeks of Phocéa, near Marseille

here we can see that more of a tribe contained 'Celt' in its name, in Iberia at least
my thought, in agreement with Wikipédia is that it was firstable the name of a tribe encountered by the Greeks (and considered by them as the collective name for all the people of same culture) - the today general cultural-linguistic meaning is a scholars one as you know

I have more and more technical problems to write on this site

Wikipedia says that Lemko and Boiko are exonyms that relate to the frequent use of the terms "lem" (but) and "bo je" (because it is) in the respective dialects. Smells a bit like folk etymology..
Assuming that -ko means "people", one could, however, also assume that the name Boko is derived from the Celtic Boi, who lent their name to Bohemia (home of the Boi). Lemko might relate to the Lemovi, an East Germanic tribe that originally settled in Eastern Pomerania between Rugiii and Goths, and migrated together with them.
History of anything older than 600 years is very mudded in this area. If we are talking about secluded population of highlanders there is a subsistence chance that some ancient tribes could survive there, well at least their names. Future genetic testing can show if they carry a distinctive genome.
[QUOTE

]We know of a historic tribe in that area whose name is thought to have been derived from "wanderer" - the Vandals! Just a coincidence ?[/QUOTE] Knowing how locals pronounce H/G it could be as well Gutsuls, (Gut-sul?)

to Lebrok
sorry for the cut

Sorry: I wrote to quickly maybe: I thought the first mention of Celtoi was done by Greeks of Phocéa, near Marseille

here we can see that more of a tribe contained 'Celt' in its name, in Iberia at least
my thought, in agreement with Wikipédia is that it was firstable the name of a tribe encountered by the Greeks (and considered by them as the collective name for all the people of same culture) - the today general cultural-linguistic meaning is a scholars one as you know
Great info thanks.

I have more and more technical problems to write on this site
Try using Google Chrome instead of Windows Explorer.

To FrankN

baby : babe,first : baban ; this last one is also the welsh word and form – breton has babig– I think in a possibleonomathopea name (based on sound) of newly born children (theirbabling)– see papa/baba :italian has babbo =« papa » (father) and bambino :« child » - serbo-croatian and bulgarian have baba :« grand' mother », « granny » - polish hasbabka « grand'mother » - bulgarian has bebe :« baby » but it could be a recent loan -
boy :I'mtempted to trust in the Oxford dict- (frisian origin) but I'm sure ofnothing – a direct I-Ean filiation by meaning seems impossible forthe root of buachaill/bugail/bugelislinked to latin bo(w)s(bucol-) asyou said, from *gwo-(w)- ↔Germ-anic °kwo-seecow, koe, kuh
girl :Isee no celtic form directly lined to this word – so I could betempted to follow the Oxford dict- supposition (gerle)
doll :noopinion, but a link to dealbh/delwisvery uncertain -

toAberdeen

greatvowel shift :
withoutany futehr discussion, only for general thoughts :
inphonetics the fact a (only lately constated by writings or even trulyrecent in pronounciation) evolution result (last effects) in alanguage at some date doesn't exclude the inertia work of asubstratum ancient enough -
middlefrench phonologic system and orthograph and school stopped in thestandard the palatizing evolution of /k/ and /g/ before front vowels/e//i//ö//y/ ([ü]) – these sounds were ancient /kw/ and /gw/ orold /k/ in front of /o/ before centraization of /o/ into /ö/,because in same environment the previous /k//g/ was turned into /s/and /[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ʒ[/FONT]/([zh]) - being /[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ʃ[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]/the result of /k/ before latin /a : but in popular french and alot of Oil dialects the true later pronounciation was /c/ ([« tch »])and /[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ɉ[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]([dj]) / [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]cœur [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]/c[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]œ[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]:R/- [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]qui ?[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]/ci/- [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]gueule(<< gola) [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]/[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ɉœ .l/- [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]guerre[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]/ɉε:R/- [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]cuir[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]/cɥi:R/-[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]+[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]thegenuine conservative scot dialects have a vowel package very close tothe dutch one [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](stane[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]« stone »[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]: steen / ane/een [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]« one »[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]:een + alane/aleen [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]« alone »[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]:alleen ...[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]theenglish evolution of */e:/ into /əʊ/ or /ɔ:/ ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]stone/more[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif])deserves a deeper approach, taking in account some NW french dialectsand SW-S german dialects – the 'aw'/'aj' (# 'wa'/'ja')diphtongizon phenomenon is very strong in the NW Europe compared toother places...[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]personalguess : I think the more anglo-saxon places spoke during a longtime dialects closer to the scot – the today situation ofEast-Anglia, different from Yorkshire, could be due to progressiveimput of the London area speaking influence – I don't think gaelicspeaking habits had a strong effect upon the scot germanicdialects... the more typical scot dialects are on the East seashores,where germanic people make a strong part of the population, comparedto Lowlands and Central Highlands regions - « scot » hereis not from the ancient Scotti of Ireland but a more recent naming tomean « english of Scotland », I suppose – the englishspoken by previously gaelic speaking population of Scotland issomewhat strange but has not this clear and« germanic »pronounciation the scot speakers have, I think -[/FONT]

Lebrok

to be sure:

my "phocean"greek interpretation is not sure at all ! I lack the trace of it at home helas... but it changes nothing to the global reasoning

I'm not denying that the Celtic and Germanic languages share a common source, I'm just saying that your attempts to derive certain English words from Gaelic (which wasn't the Celtic language that was spoken in pre-Anglo-Saxon England) seem to me to be nonsensical. And I don't really see why imaginary "mass migrations" from "less anglo-saxonized areas into the heartland of Anglo-Saxon settlement" would have caused the English language to shift away from a Latinized approach to vowel pronunciation.

I suppose FrankN use my list of gaelic words as reference but speaks of general supposed celtic roots

by the way he says Lemovici was germanic people: but they were in celtic Gaule too (Limousin-Limoux town)

Vandales, late arrived in History could be a reformed tribe of "wanderers" (?) grouping remnants OR young people of precedent diverse tribes as were the Franks and other late germanic tribes

I suppose FrankN use my list of gaelic words as reference but speaks of general supposed celtic roots

It seems to me that FrankN just isn't aware that the Celtic language that was once spoken in what is now England was Welsh, not Gaelic. As for "supposed celtic roots", Germanic and Celtic are in fact related, as we all know. So what?

We know of a historic tribe in that area whose name is thought to have been derived from "wanderer" - the Vandals! Just a coincidence ?

Anyway - off topic: Alongside the Helisi, Tacitus also mentions the Nahanarvali as part of the Lugii. -vali is of course a Latinisation of the German "Tal", so Nahanarvali are Neandertalers. They survived, and they spoke East Germanic (..ehm..)!

enko is a Ukraine surname ending, meaning of "from this person"

enko is a Ukraine surname ending, meaning of "from this person"
Right. Also ko/co name ending is typical for Italian; Tedesco, Polacco. I wonder what was it in old Celtic? Perhaps exonim was made by Roman speaking Vlachs who are known in this area too?
-ko is also used in Czech language; Polsko, Nemecko, Rusko. Definitely some old IE substratum is coming through.

Right. Also ko/co name ending is typical for Italian; Tedesco, Polacco. I wonder what was it in old Celtic? Perhaps exonim was made by Roman speaking Vlachs who are known in this area too?
-ko is also used in Czech language; Polsko, Nemecko, Rusko. Definitely some old IE substratum is coming through.

The italian ones are only surnames to define where the person was from because they had no surname at the time.
tedesco = german
polacco = polish
Turco = Turk

I doubt it was similar to ko endings becuase these seem to be an extension of an existing surname, while the Italian ones are ethnic driven

@MOESAN: I was talking about the Lemovii, not the Lemovici. The former are attested as East Germanic, the latter as Celtic. Though the similarity of both names makes one wonder how far apart both really were some 2000 years ago...

Antique authors appear in fact to have described the Vandals as a federation, or in the sense of a generic designation, comparable to today's use of the word Bedouins. Interestingly, they alter between using Vandals and Suebi - both are being located in Southern Poland and Western Ukraine, but each author uses only one of the two names, never both together. This has lead researchers to assume Vandals and Suebi were two names for the same kind of people. The name Suebi is either related to "self" (self-ruling people), or a borrowed Celtic word for "vagabond".

It seems to me that FrankN just isn't aware that the Celtic language that was once spoken in what is now England was Welsh, not Gaelic. As for "supposed celtic roots", Germanic and Celtic are in fact related, as we all know. So what?
Oh, I am aware of Welsh being spoken closer to England than Gaelic (in fact, Cornish is even spoken inside of England). I just didn't happen to have a Welsh word list at hand, and there is an extensive English-Gaelic online dictionary available which made cross-checking easier. But I am of course eager to learn from you, Aberdeen, about the differences between Gaelic and Welsh that make any argumentation that is just based on Gaelic invalid for England.

And I don't really see why imaginary "mass migrations" from "less anglo-saxonized areas into the heartland of Anglo-Saxon settlement" would have caused the English language to shift away from a Latinized approach to vowel pronunciation.
Are you saying that Wikipedia has just imagined these migrations as possible cause for the Great Vowel Shift? Or did you just not bother to check the link I provided in my first post on the issue?

Anyway, looking at the Great Vowel Shift in more detail, there appear to be several possible causes:
  1. Dutch/ Saxon: -ew as in "new" is clearly Dutch (nieuw). -aw as in "law" is typical for North German dialects of High German spoken around Hamburg, Bremen and Hannover. -u as in "cut": Latin "cupere", High German "kuppen" <> Dutch/ Low German "kappen".
  2. French: -a as in "make" - this vowel shift is distinguishing French from most (all?) other Romanic languages, e.g. Latin "facere"-> French "faire", Latin "pater"->French "père". However, Dutch/ Saxon influence may have played a role as well: Engl. "to have", Dutch / Low German "hebben", High German "haben".
  3. "High German": -ou as in "house" is pronounced identically to High German "Haus". Low German has preserved the original Old English sound "Huus" (French is out here, see "spouse" vs. "épouser"). The same apples to -i as in "time": High German "Zeit", Low German "Tied" (but French "temps"). -oo as in "foot": High German "Fuß", Low German "foot" (spoken as in Old English), Danish "fod" (but French "pied").
  4. Inconclusive: -ee as in "deer" appears to have generally progressed in north-westerly direction: High German "Tier", Dutch "dier", but Low German "deert". The same with "beer" High German / Dutch "Bier", Low German "Beer". English "see!" (imperative) is High German "siehe", but Danish "se". "I am" (root: "to be") is "Ich bin" in High German, but "Ik ben" in Dutch.
    The same applies to some extent to -ea in "beast": Latin "bestia", High German "Biest", Dutch/ Low German "Beest". Another example is "neat", High German "niedlich", Dutch "ned".
    However, the English shift has been much more radical than on the Continent, affecting many words where the vowel remained unchanged in High German (e.g. to see > sehen) or was only raised partly (e.g. to feel > fühlen). Furthermore, -ea is treated inconsistently in English, as exemplified by "great" indicating a partly unfinished analogous process within English.
So, in summary, half of the changes have occurred more or less simultaneously in English and in (Old/ Middle) High German, with neither French nor Dutch/Low German offering much of a linguistic bridge. How can that be? The only plausible explanation to me is High German and English having a common substratum, namely Celtic.

Last edited:
@MOESAN: I was talking about the Lemovii, not the Lemovici. The former are attested as East Germanic, the latter as Celtic. Though the similarity of both names makes one wonder how far apart both really were some 2000 years ago...
Addendum on the Lemovii (based on various German & English Wikipedia articles):
The name has only been recorded by Tacitus, and several antique transcripts record Lemoni instead. Ptolemy notes Leuonoi settling next to the Rugii on the Pomeranian coast. Lemovi/ Leuonoie are commonly equated to the Giommas or Leonas of the Widsith. which are twice mentioned next to the Rugians. According to the Widsith, "Hagen rules the Rügen islanders (holmryge) and Heoden the Giommas". A German Saga tells of a battle between Hagen and Heodin on the island of Hiddensee (Heodin's Sea), next to Rügen.
This Saga reappears in the Edda and with Saxo Grammaticus, albeit with partly changed names and in different geographical settings, and has lead some scholars to assume that the Giommas are identical to the Wulfings (Yflings). Both the Edda and the Widsith have the Swatians settling next to the Wulfings and Giommas, respectively. Those Swatians could have been the Suebii (more specifically, the Semnones that Tacitus names as most important Suebian tribe). Giomma / Lemovi means "the barking / howling", and is related to Gaelic "glam"(deep bark, howl).

This thread has been viewed 32080 times.

Back