Coming In a Few Days: 101 Ancient Genomes from Eurasia.

As far as I understood the Paper coming in next two weeks has found two Anatolian farmers. One (similar to those who colonised Europe during Neolithics) and the bit later one with "other" admixture which was not common for Euro Neolithics.
There is a discussion if "other" admixture is or is not ANE. We will find that pretty soon.

Also I hope we may be able to check on Balts/Baltic Finns (and Volga Finns for comparison) which wave Farmer genes we have. "Neolithic" or "Indo-Euros".

I used to think Indo-Euros brought farmer genes to Baltics. Since they did bring farming. But looks like it is more complicated.

They said "other admixture" is similar to what is found in the Middle East and North Africa. sounds like Red Sea to me.

Well, the Bronze Age Indo-European was about 5'5 or so I think, (I'd top him by about an inch, not that I have anything against men shorter than I am, mind you, but it's not quite how I pictured them.) Still, I get your point. :grin:

The "smell" factor would be a definite "no go" for me in terms of time travel... until the Greeks at least. Well, let's make it the Romans. They had to smell better, what with going to the baths everyday, soap or no soap! :) That's part of why I have no desire to go back to the Middle Ages: a sad regression in terms of hygiene!

Germanic people would swim in their rivers regularly, even in winter time
If that is true, I suppose it would have helped

Any idea how they could could manage the water quality of the Roman baths?

...and Balts had their pirtis (~wet sauna) since like forever :)
Never have I heard it stopped being used this side of Baltics.

Germanic people would swim in their rivers regularly, even in winter time
If that is true, I suppose it would have helped

Any idea how they could could manage the water quality of the Roman baths?

Do you mean how could they be kept sanitary without chlorine? A lot of them were fed by hot mineral springs. When they weren't, the water was heated by hot air from under the floor. Either way, the water was constantly being replaced, fed either by a stream or by the water from pipes running from the aqueducts. Plus, the patrons were clean by the time they went in usually. Don't modern Japanese bathing pools run on the same principles?

I also read that they were scrubbed periodically with vinegar and salt.

The water for Rome and many other cities, including small ones like Pompeii, came from clean springs many kilometers from the cities themselves, all brought in by the aqueducts, hundreds of kilometers of them. In Rome even today the water that flows from the nasoni or potable drinking fountains still comes from the same areas and from some of the same underground aqueducts.

This is true, yet if one population has higher EEF than other it means this population has higher ENF, right?
So, Lithuanians still have more ENF than Yamna. And Yamna must be mixed with even more ENF population to create Lithuanians. Or Estonians.

But I think main point from my calculations is - we jumped from Mesolithic EHG into Yamna, but we ignored Neolithic gene changes in North East. Or assumed those did not happen.

Davidsky solved my Lithuanian issue (unintentionally probably, I dont have influence on what he is doing :) ), we got our Near Eastern in Bronze Age, but not from Yamna. We got it from Corded which had more of that goodies than Yamna:

Blogger Davidski said...
I compared the levels of Near Eastern admixture among Yamnaya, Corded Ware and Lithuanians in the supervised West Eurasia K8 test and the unsupervised ASI K7 test.
They're fairly similar, and actually show the same patterns:
K8
Yamnaya 0.2396
Corded_Ware_LN 0.31696666666667
Lithuanian 0.27684322222222
K7
Yamnaya 0.20304428571429
Corded_Ware_LN 0.25734433333333
Lithuanian 0.23223233333333
So Corded Ware have the most Near Eastern ancestry in both tests, and Yamnaya the least.
In fact, the Yamnaya score as a percentage of the Lithuanian score in both tests is almost the same: 86.54717933013902 vs 87.43153151841888 (difference of only 0.88435218827986).
However, the Lithuanian score as a percentage of the Corded Ware score is less similar: 87.3414309250869 vs 90.24186789942902 (difference of 2.90043697434212).
I think there are two reasons for this:
- the K7 Near Eastern component is more Basal Eurasian (in other words, the K7 Euro_HG component contains more hunter-gatherer type stuff from the Near East than the K8 WHG component, which is more purely European)
- the Near Eastern admixture in the Corded Ware contains more of the hunter-gatherer type stuff from the Near East, while the Near Eastern admixture in the Yamnaya is more Basal Eurasian.
Here's a text file with all of the stats:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o...ew?usp=sharing

This thread has been viewed 36973 times.

Back