Do you believe that Y-DNA influences looks and behaviour?

Do you think that Y-chromosomal DNA has an influence on phenotype?

• No, Y-DNA does not influence looks or behaviour at all

Votes: 32 33.0%
  • Y-DNA might possibly have a minor influence on man's behaviour, but not on his physical appearance

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Y-DNA most probably influences a man's behaviour, but has no effect on physical appearance at all

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Y-DNA slightly influences a man's physical appearance, but not his behaviour

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Y-DNA considerably influences a man's physical appearance, but not his behaviour

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Y-DNA slightly influences a man's physical appearance and his behaviour

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Y-DNA considerably influences a man's physical appearance and his behaviour

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • No idea !

Votes: 14 14.4%

• Total voters
Appearance very slightly, behaviour no. Behaviour is tied to cultural and educational factors, usually from parents or people you spent most time with and what you watch on TV, internet etc.

Appearance is mostly decided by autosomal but ydna also has a very small impact, some sons look almost exactly like their dads or grandads (have found that grandad is more often the case). Ydna had a bigger impact when Europe was less mixed for instance WHGs, ANFs and Steppe would have looked more similar to their own groups when their neighbours ydna was similar or identical to theirs.

For example if you have ydna i2a and your mother's side also had parental ydna i2a that would have a bigger impact on your appearance. An even bigger impact is if both of your grandads had ydna i2a and their wives had fathers with ydna i2a. Maybe this is why some Scandinavians look a certain way with their frequent amount of ydna i1 and Croats/Bosnians look a certain way with their frequent amount of ydna i2. However Europe is mixed now with many different ydna (and mtdna) coming from 3 main groups (WHG, ANF, Steppe) so sons looking almost identical to their fathers is often not the case whereas thousands of years ago would have been a common occurrence
By "Appearance influences" do most of you mean the structural change of the body due to the levels of testosterone production controlled by genes on the Y chromosome? Do you think the only correlation between the Y chromosome and physical appearance is the level of testosterone production in different haplogroups, such that higher level of T can make the person reach his full autosomal genetic potential limit for physical traits like height, muscle, jawshape, brain size, but the Y chromosome itself doesn't carry any genes to determine the maximum potential limit of those traits in a person?

By "Appearance influences" do most of you mean the structural change of the body due to the levels of testosterone production controlled by genes on the Y chromosome? Do you think the only correlation between the Y chromosome and physical appearance is the level of testosterone production in different haplogroups, such that higher level of T can make the person reach his full autosomal genetic potential limit for physical traits like height, muscle, jawshape, brain size, but the Y chromosome itself doesn't carry any genes to determine the maximum potential limit of those traits in a person?
My grandfather was 5'10" my father short at the most 5'4". I am 6'1" and my son is 6'4"-6'5". We all have the same Y-DNA.

Also the only way it could possibly affect actual behaviour is if that man thought he was God's gift to humanity just because he had a particular Y-Dna haplogroup.

My grandfather was 5'10" my father short at the most 5'4". I am 6'1" and my son is 6'4"-6'5". We all have the same Y-DNA.
Hmm the son being shorter than the father is not a common occurrence, I don't think this has to do with the Y chromosome. In my opinion, I believe the Y chromosome doesn't affect physical appearance at all, but it has greater influence on the psychological traits like personality and behavior, since it is way too common to see that in a society, the men within the same hierarchical class all tend to share certain haplogroups.

This is the man who was found to be of haplogroup A1a

View attachment 8300

I mean, if these guys have similar features, then everyone can be said to have similar features to everyone

but hey, haplogroup A1 is very old, you can make a chinese and an arab in one haplogroup if you consider A1's age

haplogroup I2
View attachment 8301

Rectangular eye orbits, high nose bridge, prominent ears. Eddie Ezzard doesnt seem to fit to be honest.
Wait, isn't Nikola Tesla's haplogroup R1a?

That's to do with nutritional factors, Americans were 170-171cm on average 100 years ago, Europeans even shorter

Attachments

• 3062392-inline-i-1-human-heights-have-changed-dramatically-in-100-years-and-the-us-is-falling-...png
    3062392-inline-i-1-human-heights-have-changed-dramatically-in-100-years-and-the-us-is-falling-...png
    53.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Not sure but south Slavs look a bit different (maybe due to high i2), Albanians look a bit different (maybe due to high e-v13), Scandinavians look a bit different (maybe due to high i1), east Slavs look a bit different (maybe due to high r1a) etc. Maybe ydna has a bigger effect on appearance when multiple family members carry the same line, maybe also applies to mtdna if you have many family members with the same mtdna line

Last edited:
Not sure but south Slavs look a bit different (maybe due to high i2), Albanians look a bit different (maybe due to high e-v13), Scandinavians look a bit different (maybe due to high i1), east Slavs look a bit different (maybe due to high r1a) etc. Maybe ydna has a bigger effect on appearance when multiple family members carry the same line, maybe also applies to mtdna if you have many family members with the same mtdna line
Is there any studies show that there are genes on the Y chromosome with the function to determine the maximum growth potential limit of height, frame, jaw, muscle, and brain in a person?

Y DNA might have an influence on the appearance on a population basis but on an individual family line basis. For example my sisters tell me they can recognize Albanians from a mile away.

Last edited:
There's a difference between a Y-DNA haplogroup and the Y-chromosome here, the former is only a part of the latter. The latter also has a small recombining region and the SRY gene, but mostly non-coding regions that don't really affect much if anything. If there's any effect from the haplogroups on looks, which in itself is doubtful, its influence would be quite minimal.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 43502 times.

Back