Genetic study Fine-scale sampling uncovers the complexity of migrations in 5th–6th century Pannonia

I agree with you. I hope that these LA Italian samples will be the key to breaking down the hypothesis that modern North-Central Italians have a 20% Germanic admixture.
Thank you. It definitely proves strong levels of continuity from past populations and I agree that 20% is far too high. I would estimate more realistically that 2-3% is a realistic figure. If the barbarian repopulation scenario were real we should see a huge gradient between Germans (Longobards) and S Italy (Imperial era C. Italians) for these Bardonecchia and Torino samples but we don't see such a thing at all.

We already see profiles partially overlapping modern N. Italians amongst the Iron age latins, etruscans and protovillanovans and this should've been the first obvious clue to dispel this myth of "Germanic Italians" from the middle ages. The N. Italian profile is much older and arrived in the bronze age by way of the Julian alps around the Northern Adriatic and is closely linked to the Castellieri culture which settled parts of modern Croatia, Friuli and Veneto. This is also why bronze and iron age croatians overlap directly with modern Northern Italians.

This thread has been viewed 3256 times.

Back