Four questions for those who still believe in prehistoric Slavs and other fairy tales

The thing is that the author never said that Slavs migrated from Balkans to north or that speech spread that way anywhere in his researchers,he just trace the people known as Sclavenes from the sources from 500 to 700 AD,other is story building by the admins to discredit people but use little dedication on the subject, much was written from him,to be short he use history and archeology and not language since he isn't linguist and deny the migration cause there is simple no proof of it, call into question the migrations model as a whole which date from 19th century let me remind never established as scientific truth,for language I believe he support hypothesis of Danube basin on which he rely on other linguists.

Last edited:
There was a similar thread, which also touched on Curta's position, around nine months ago, but I would like to pinpoint you to the following post of myself in particular:

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...d-ethnogenesis?p=460632&viewfull=1#post460632

What are the sources for all those?
1) The sounds shifts in Proto-Slavic
2) Old language contact between Albanian and Greek
3) Thracian and Phrygian especially being 'Satem'?
4) Who examined the place names, personal names etc, let's say in Northwestern Balkans?

I also thought that he meant that the origin of Proto-Slavic is located in Western Balkans (?) but probably I am wrong. I read it in a hurry. I don't disagree (or agree) with you because I don't know much about it. And I am not very interested but I at least want to see the sources you accept as accurate. Or the names of the scholars.

Florin Curta is not a Slav from Balkans ,he is Romanian.
The book is published at Cambridge University.
Florin Curta is teacher at University of Florida.
http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/samples/cam031/00052915.pdf

I hardly doubt you can publish a non-sense book,at Cambridge.

As it states in your link..........Jordanes is giving the slavs a WRONG track to follow.............this error is the cause of all the issues.

He is also wrong in the vistula basin............the basin ( both side of the Vistula ) had gothic tribes.............the Venedi bordered the Goths on the Nogat river.

He is also wrong in taking for granted anything Tacitus states about languages in the area...........Tacitus never went any near where the baltic , he is unreliable in reagrds to languages.

Anyone interested in history or archeology of the lower Danube from 500-700 AD where the Sclavenes were located for first time.
http://www.limesromanus.org/sites/all/files/The Making of the Slavs.pdf

Rough geography of lower danube river.

001_.jpg

Well I am sorry I have scared Taranis and LeBrok away from this thread with my exaggerated reaction.

Mihaitzateo, I am sorry that I did not get around to write a reply earlier. But I also have a life and a job and because of this, am not around here as often as I would wish to. (y)

What are the sources for all those?
1) The sounds shifts in Proto-Slavic
2) Old language contact between Albanian and Greek
3) Thracian and Phrygian especially being 'Satem'?
4) Who examined the place names, personal names etc, let's say in Northwestern Balkans?

I also thought that he meant that the origin of Proto-Slavic is located in Western Balkans (?) but probably I am wrong. I read it in a hurry. I don't disagree (or agree) with you because I don't know much about it. And I am not very interested but I at least want to see the sources you accept as accurate. Or the names of the scholars.

In short:

1) I can generally recommend texts by Ranko Matasovic (who's at the same time also a decent Celtologist, by the way, notably he wrote an etymological dictionary for Proto-Celtic ). For an abridged summary of the evolution of Proto-Slavic readily found online, I recommend this summary by the Dutch Indo-Europeanist Frederik Kortlandt - with the caveat that I would like to amend that he's an adherent of the Glottalic theory.

2) I recommend that you read up on the concepts of sound laws of respectively Greek and Albanian, as well as the concept of sound laws and sound correspondences in general.

3) Look at the corpus of attested Thracian and Phrygian words (also, see below). If you have a different interpretation of the material, go ahead. Though I would suggest that you should start a separate thread.

4) There's an entire subfield of linguistics that concerns the study of proper names, called onomastics (this includes place names). Relevant to this, in his work, Florin Curta mentions the Roman fortifications along the Danube, including two places called "Noviodunum" (a Celtic name) and "Sucidava" (a Dacian name). In my opinion, it should be self-evident that this shows how the Slavic languages are a later addition to the Danube region (the lower Danube in this case).

3) Look at the corpus of attested Thracian and Phrygian words (also, see below). If you have a different interpretation of the material, go ahead. Though I would suggest that you should start a separate thread.

4) There's an entire subfield of linguistics that concerns the study of proper names, called onomastics (this includes place names). Relevant to this, in his work, Florin Curta mentions the Roman fortifications along the Danube, including two places called "Noviodunum" (a Celtic name) and "Sucidava" (a Dacian name). In my opinion, it should be self-evident that this shows how the Slavic languages are a later addition to the Danube region (the lower Danube in this case).
Taranis he in no way connects the Slavic language to Dacian or Thracian as i have seen his "linguistic remarks" although this is not his field.
What we should understand is,he work with archeology and history,so he trace the very people called Sclavenes,and if you think that field of archeology should be dismissed or should follow some language hypothesis of "most archaic river names" in my opinion is very wrong,archeology so far at least to me show up as more exact science.Migration to be proved we need archeology.

Linguists can do their job whether language shift occur or whatever.

So far Alinei have hypothesis of Slavic and Thracian being same and don't know how exactly Anatolian hypothesis interpret the issue.But ok you do not take them seriously.

The relevance to toponyms the Dava/Deva ending in Daco-Moesian region,dava

(often used as a suffix) name for a Dacian city, town, fortress, or other settlement; usually appended to another element to form the name of a settlement,so far was explained by Thracologist-Ivan Duridanov DAVA is derived from Indo-European dheua.He connects it with the Bulgarian verb дявам (djavam) – I put, I set and Homeric Greek τοωκος – sit
Would like to add verb "devam" - to put,to settle.See also Russian Verb деть • ‎(detʹ) pf ‎imperfective дева́ть(Devat)-to put, place.
So the Dava/Deva isn't best examples in my opinion.
For the Celtic "Dunum" we find but couple in the Balkan peninsula.

The problem with migration so far is that since today we have many more fields than in 19th century,i will ask very simple question;
If the South Slavs are immigrants in their lands,the genetic studies have shown that Balkan population resemble one another in genetics,so either we should label immigrants Romanians,Northern Greeks etc too,or we should call them Slavic? or maybe other way around? as per genetics they resemble their neighbors.This is absurd.
Florin Curta relevant to this have very good opinion which should stay that way
A fundamental proposition of historical anthropology is that human genes, language, and culture represent distinct systems of inheritance. The three systems are distinct
and have no necessary relationship because each bears a different relation to population history.

We in no way should associate the language as beginning and end,NOT.Maybe tomorrow we gonna speak other language as we speak English now,but im not no English man.
Each of this fields can work their respective job-Archeology,Genetics should not be prisoners of language hypothesis.

Last edited:
Taranis he in no way connects the Slavic language to Dacian or Thracian as i have seen his "linguistic remarks" although this is not his field.

I didn't say Florin Curta did (though Mario Alinei does), but this is a question that came up in that past thread about the origin of the Slavs. In a way, this is a logical question to ask: if you place the Slavic homeland onto the Balkans, it would make sense looking for a historic candidate language that matches up with this - hence Dacian and Thracian. Alinei who has this theory of extreme language immobility and he likewise places the origin of the Slavic languages onto the Balkans. The problem why this makes no sense is twofold: first, the internal history of the Slavic languages does not favour on origin on the Balkans, second, you have a close relationship with the Baltic languages. Or let me word it differently: Proto-Slavic was one of the Balto-Slavic languages. Which in turn it is sensible to propose that the original homeland of the Slavic languages was in vicinity of the Baltic language area. Now Dacian in turn left a tremendous impact on the Romanian language, however.

What we should understand is,he work with archeology and history,so he trace the very people called Sclavenes,and if you think that field of archeology should be dismissed or should follow some language hypothesis of "most archaic river names" in my opinion is very wrong,archeology so far at least to me show up as more exact science.Migration to be proved we need archeology.

No, the 'most archaic river names' points to an area for the original Slavic homeland, where we find two archaeological cultures that - in the right time and right space - are viable as potential homelands: the Milograd and Zarubintsy cultures. I elaborated on that extensively in the other thread.

Linguists can do their job whether language shift occur or whatever.

So far Alinei have hypothesis of Slavic and Thracian being same and don't know how exactly Anatolian hypothesis interpret the issue.But ok you do not take them seriously.

I do not take Alinei seriously because he makes proposals that can be easily dismissed (bear in mind that he has not only theories regarding Indo-European but also Etruscan, Uralic and Basque, notably for him, Etruscan is part of the Uralic languages :confused: ).

The relevance to toponyms the Dava/Deva ending in Daco-Moesian region,dava

(often used as a suffix) name for a Dacian city, town, fortress, or other settlement; usually appended to another element to form the name of a settlement,so far was explained by Thracologist-Ivan Duridanov DAVA is derived from Indo-European dheua.He connects it with the Bulgarian verb дявам (djavam) – I put, I set and Homeric Greek τοωκος – sit
Would like to add verb "devam" - to put,to settle.See also Russian Verb деть • ‎(detʹ) pf ‎imperfective дева́ть(Devat)-to put, place.
So the Dava/Deva isn't best examples in my opinion.

You're missing my point here entirely: the suffix "-dava" is clearly connected to Dacian place names.

For the Celtic "Dunum" we find but couple in the Balkan peninsula.

This is correct. But this, along with Dacian, demonstrates us something: the linguistic makeup of the Balkan peninsula s (north of Greece, I should say) was a very different one 2000 years ago.
I do not think that archaeology should be dismissed, but archaeology delivers us plenty of linguistic data from the ancient Balkans. This is why for me, the scenario "Slavs lived on the Balkans in blindsight of Greek and Roman authors all along" doesn't work out. By the same logic you would have to argue that the West Slavic-speaking peoples lived in blindsight of Roman authors in Germania all along (modern eastern Germany, western Poland, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia). Actually, these lands were mostly Germanic-speaking 2000 years ago, plus some areas that were vestigially Celtic.

The problem with migration so far is that since today we have many more fields than in 19th century,i will ask very simple question;
If the South Slavs are immigrants in their lands,the genetic studies have shown that Balkan population resemble one another in genetics,so either we should label immigrants Romanians,Northern Greeks etc too,or we should call them Slavic? or maybe other way around? as per genetics they resemble their neighbors.This is absurd.
Florin Curta relevant to this have very good opinion which should stay that way

What you're doing is adhering to a logical fallacy: the first point is that if you compare the modern West Slavic, South Slavic and East Slavic countries in their genetic makeup, it becomes apparent that there is no such thing as a 'genetic Slav'. Nor should we expect such a thing to exist in the first place, since Slavic is above all else a linguistic classification. As regards the South Slavs and the genetic similarity to the other ethnic groups of the Balkans, the solution is obvious: for the greater part, the inhabitants of the South Slavic countries (and the Balkans in general) today are actually Pre-Slavic in their genetic makeup. You can make a similar case about the modern Hungarians (who are mostly pre-Magyar), who are in their genetic makeup little different from neighbours - yet Hungarian (an Uralic language) is a clear newcomer to the region - later in fact than the Slavic languages.

Florin Curta is Romanian, and he has a very Balkano-centric / South-Slavic-centric view of the Slavs. There are however three branches of the Slavic languages as a whole, the West Slavic and the East Slavic languages in addition to South Slavic. Florin Curta's model pretends to be completely ignorant of the existence of the West Slavic and East Slavic peoples, and that is why I dismiss him. Since the Central European homeland is just as implausible as the Balkans homeland (because we have linguistic data there too), we have to assume that the Slavs were hiding 'in blind sight'. Which doesn't mean that the pre-Slavic population of these areas didn't contribute to Slavic ethnogenesis. I actually think the opposite, that remnants of the Germanic tribes in these areas contributed substantially to the genesis of the new West Slavic tribes, which is also reflected in the fact that Proto-Slavic has a large amount of Germanic loanwords in it.

We in no way should associate the language as beginning and end,NOT.Maybe tomorrow we gonna speak other language as we speak English now,but im not no English man.
Each of this fields can work their respective job-Archeology,Genetics should not be prisoners of language hypothesis.

Good luck hunting your genetic South Slavs, who 2000 years ago probably would have been Dacians, Illyrians, Thracians, a few Celts, the occasional Greeks and Sarmatians for good measure... :LOL:

Last edited:
I didn't say Florin Curta did (though Mario Alinei does), but this is a question that came up in that past thread about the origin of the Slavs. In a way, this is a logical question to ask: if you place the Slavic homeland onto the Balkans, it would make sense looking for a historic candidate language that matches up with this - hence Dacian and Thracian. Alinei who has this theory of extreme language immobility and he likewise places the origin of the Slavic languages onto the Balkans. The problem why this makes no sense is twofold: first, the internal history of the Slavic languages does not favour on origin on the Balkans, second, you have a close relationship with the Baltic languages. Or let me word it differently: Proto-Slavic was one of the Balto-Slavic languages. Which in turn it is sensible to propose that the original homeland of the Slavic languages was in vicinity of the Baltic language area. Now Dacian in turn left a tremendous impact on the Romanian language, however.
You make your point,and this is to be expected,language is more difficult to explain,any before attested in my opinion.
Let me say that so far from what i have read he make the most sense to me, and i think that his questions are reasonable at least to me,and not because i have agenda,wishful thinking or whatever,will try to explain more further.Different people have different opinions regardless their place of origin.
By his words on the Sclavenes-As community elites rose to prominence, they came to "embody a collective interest and responsibility" for the group. "If that group identity can be called ethnicity, and if that ethnicity can be called Slavic, then it certainly formed in the shadow of Justinian's forts, not in the Pripet marshes.
So tracing them he is merely using historiography and archeology which for me is right.
He is also saying that Sclavenes is name Byzantines gave to this people to make sense politically.Even if used by themselves for language community but not more than this,since there is no proofs.
That they(Sklaveni) were located what is today Romania is not invented but is simply how it is.
Southeastern_Europe_in_520%2C_showing_the_Byzantine_Empire_under_Justin_I_and_the_Ostrogothic_kingdom.png

No, the 'most archaic river names' points to an area for the original Slavic homeland, where we find two archaeological cultures that - in the right time and right space - are viable as potential homelands: the Milograd and Zarubintsy cultures. I elaborated on that extensively in the other thread.
He is saying that the material culture is not the same from those cultures and where Sclavenes were located and have considerable gap;
"Moreover the obvious cultural discontinuity in the region raises serious doubts about any attempts to write the history of the prehistoric Slavs as one of the continuous occupation of one and the same region between the late Iron Age and the early Middle Ages. Nor is any evidence of material remains of the Zarubyntsi. Kiev, or Prague culture in the southern and southwestern direction of the presumed migration of the ethnos Slavs towards the Danube frontier of the Roman Empire".

You're missing my point here entirely: the suffix "-dava" is clearly connected to Dacian place names.

Just said it cause is explainable trough some Slavic dialects.
I do not think that archaeology should be dismissed, but archaeology delivers us plenty of linguistic data from the ancient Balkans. This is why for me, the scenario "Slavs lived on the Balkans in blindsight of Greek and Roman authors all along" doesn't work out. By the same logic you would have to argue that the West Slavic-speaking peoples lived in blindsight of Roman authors in Germania all along (modern eastern Germany, western Poland, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia).
That is perhaps true and from historical sources the name Sclavene itself is new,which make much more difficulties for researches,after all is where the name Slav itself is coming.
But in that sense if in the Balkans can be spread without making genetic change,what make it difficult the same to happen in other areas?

What you're doing is adhering to a logical fallacy: the first point is that if you compare the modern West Slavic, South Slavic and East Slavic countries in their genetic makeup, it becomes apparent that there is no such thing as a 'genetic Slav'. Nor should we expect such a thing to exist in the first place, since Slavic is above all else a linguistic classification. As regards the South Slavs and the genetic similarity to the other ethnic groups of the Balkans, the solution is obvious: for the greater part, the inhabitants of the South Slavic countries (and the Balkans in general) today are actually Pre-Slavic in their genetic makeup. You can make a similar case about the modern Hungarians (who are mostly pre-Magyar), who are in their genetic makeup little different from neighbours - yet Hungarian (an Uralic language) is a clear newcomer to the region - later in fact than the Slavic languages.

Florin Curta is Romanian, and he has a very Balkano-centric / South-Slavic-centric view of the Slavs. There are however three branches of the Slavic languages as a whole, the West Slavic and the East Slavic languages in addition to South Slavic. Florin Curta's model pretends to be completely ignorant of the existence of the West Slavic and East Slavic peoples, and that is why I dismiss him. Since the Central European homeland is just as implausible as the Balkans homeland (because we have linguistic data there too), we have to assume that the Slavs were hiding 'in blind sight'. Which doesn't mean that the pre-Slavic population of these areas didn't contribute to Slavic ethnogenesis. I actually think the opposite, that remnants of the Germanic tribes in these areas contributed substantially to the genesis of the new West Slavic tribes, which is also reflected in the fact that Proto-Slavic has a large amount of Germanic loanwords in it.

It is lingusitic group,but historically some interpret it as a ethnic.
I asked that kind of question because majority of people are not interested in history,they often learn it in school just the basics.
I can give you example about Yugoslavia;The history was made up on Pan-Slavism,in short made all man to understand and have collective unity,the Slavic ethnos all Yugoslavs came in 6th and 7th century from behind the Carphatians as one ethnos,we had common past and in turn common future,
How much this is true?
I don't think Curta has Balkano-centric views,he didn't choose this people to be there,and if in Soviet time he publish such book and if he was in Romania who know how will end up,simple they have their history with which their hegemony should be explained,likewise in Yugoslavia will ruin their political establishment.
So from the above i think history=politics for good part.

Good luck hunting your genetic South Slavs, who 2000 years ago probably would have been Dacians, Illyrians, Thracians, a few Celts, the occasional Greeks and Sarmatians for good measure... :LOL:
Well most of the above are exonyms,if that will be the cause and if the Thracians were called from the base of θράσσω ‎(thrássō, “to trouble, stir”) by the Greeks, by contrast i will call them friends :LOL:

Last edited:

I do not take Alinei seriously because he makes proposals that can be easily dismissed (bear in mind that he has not only theories regarding Indo-European but also Etruscan, Uralic and Basque, notably for him, Etruscan is part of the Uralic languages :confused: ).

This is correct. But this, along with Dacian, demonstrates us something: the linguistic makeup of the Balkan peninsula s (north of Greece, I should say) was a very different one 2000 years ago.
I do not think that archaeology should be dismissed, but archaeology delivers us plenty of linguistic data from the ancient Balkans. This is why for me, the scenario "Slavs lived on the Balkans in blindsight of Greek and Roman authors all along" doesn't work out. By the same logic you would have to argue that the West Slavic-speaking peoples lived in blindsight of Roman authors in Germania all along (modern eastern Germany, western Poland, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia). Actually, these lands were mostly Germanic-speaking 2000 years ago, plus some areas that were vestigially Celtic.

A great summary Taranis. Nobody could have expressed it better.

Milan, the problem really is: you claim that Curta isn't South Slavic centric, but I will ask you: does his model explain - or predict - in any shape way or form where the West Slavic and East Slavic language areas come from? I give Curta credit in so far as that for the South Slavic peoples, his model of elite prominence is somewhat compelling, it also goes along relatively well with the linguistic backdrop (Romance substrate on the Balkans). However, his model does not address (nor predict) the existence of the West Slavic and East Slavic peoples. Where are the Obodrites and the Ilmen Slavs, to pick two examples, in this view (hint: "Making of the Slavs" doesn't mention them with a single word)? As long as that is unaddressed, I cannot take him (fully) seriously, and I have to dismiss him as having a clearly limited, South Slavic centric view of the Slavic origin.

I for one do not believe that Proto-Slavic was a "conlang" (akin to Klingon or Sindarin :LOL: ) that was invented in the 500s, nor do I believe that the Proto-Slavic elite (if we again follow Curta's idea of elite dominance) were invaders from the steppe: you can make this case very clearly for the Magyars, since the Uralic languages that Hungarian is most closely related with (Khanty and Mansi) are spoken today in the Urals region of Russia. But the closest relatives of the Slavic languages are the Baltic languages.

The Dacian language is not explainable as a "Slavic dialect" because, even though it was a "Satem" language, it had a more conservative vowel system than the Balto-Slavic languages.

People still care about this BS?

However, the earliest ethnic name attested in the written sources for those whom modern historians call “Slavs” was not Slav

Perhaps because Slav is an English term. A corruption of Sloven, which comes from slovo, "word".

Only Slovenes and Slovaks are Slavs in the truest sense. Both ethnonyms are regional variants of Sloven.

People still care about this BS?

Perhaps because Slav is an English term. A corruption of Sloven, which comes from slovo, "word".

Only Slovenes and Slovaks are Slavs in the truest sense. Both ethnonyms are regional variants of Sloven.
Nobody make issue of that,this is perhaps addressed for historical accuracy,the term Greeks themselves were using before being corrupted.
I agree you are true Slavs.
But again i will ask for historical accuracy cause i'm interested, why in that area in and around Slovakia we find Principality of Nitra in the 8th century,together with neighboring Moravia.
Why did not bear the true name back then?
And in Slovenia the ancestors of Slovenes located in present-day Carinthia formed the independent duchy of Carantania?

Was this consciousness Sloven brought by Cyril and Methodius from the south or was by popular etymology later on?

always a competition between panethnic names and local tribes names of the same great ethnic group without speaking of later renamings
Celt or Welsh, Walhsk (Volques)? Pritani (? Brittoni Bretanni) or Combri, Domnonii, Cornovii???
Germanics had no common name kown by us, 'germani' was almost certainly a celtic term adressing some Belgae tribes.
Hard to construct or deconstruct ethnic affinities basing ourselves only upon tribes or regions names, endonyms as well as exonyms, I think. We need more (ancient and today languages, archeology, witnesses...)
I personally don't put in too big doubt the classical theory of the Pripet bassin as possible (late enough) cradle of the future Slavs by osmosis of a Balto-Slavic proto-group and local post-Tripolye groups including an heavy pre-Neolithic Y-I2a1 component... But my light knowledge doesn't allow me to be too affirmative.
Concerning Slavonic, its first southern localization could very well be caused by its links with christianization of Slavs beginning in South after contacts with East Roman Empire (remnants)?

Nobody make issue of that,this is perhaps addressed for historical accuracy,the term Greeks themselves were using before being corrupted.
I agree you are true Slavs.
But again i will ask for historical accuracy cause i'm interested, why in that area in and around Slovakia we find Principality of Nitra in the 8th century,together with neighboring Moravia.
Why did not bear the true name back then?
And in Slovenia the ancestors of Slovenes located in present-day Carinthia formed the independent duchy of Carantania?

Was this consciousness Sloven brought by Cyril and Methodius from the south or was by popular etymology later on?

What I meant that only Slovaks and Slovenes didn't abandon the ethnonym Slav. Both countries' names mean "slovenic region".
Nationalism virtually didn't exist back then, political entities usually drew their name from older regional names, or from seats of power, or from the dynasty that held the power.
Nitra, for example, was called so presumably after the castle and town of Nitra, seat of the ruling dynasty. We are talking about the dark ages, almost nothing is known about central Europe in this period, most of the time we can only take an educated guess (aside from a few proven facts).

I'm not sure what do you mean by mentioning Cyril and Methodius. But their importance for our region has been greatly exaggerated by romantic nationalist historiography. We don't use their alphabet, orthodox christian sect was never dominant here and their stay in Moravia was very short (their disciples were exiled). They weren't even the first promoters of the christian religion to come here, monks from Bavaria and British Isles had come much earlier, as had Roman colonists and soldiers before them

I'm not sure what do you mean by mentioning Cyril and Methodius. But their importance for our region has been greatly exaggerated by romantic nationalist historiography. We don't use their alphabet, orthodox christian sect was never dominant here and their stay in Moravia was very short (their disciples were exiled). They weren't even the first promoters of the christian religion to come here, monks from Bavaria and British Isles had come much earlier, as had Roman colonists and soldiers before them
Exactly. Balkan Slavs forget that Christianity was mediated via Holy Roman Empire to Western Slavs.

I think you are all wrong,

first at that times there was not Orthodox, neither Catholic,
we speak about before the Schisma,
then read the stories, and why Cyrilic Alphabet was created,
then make your conclusions,

same thing happened few centuries later with reformation,

always a competition between panethnic names and local tribes names of the same great ethnic group without speaking of later renamings
Celt or Welsh, Walhsk (Volques)? Pritani (? Brittoni Bretanni) or Combri, Domnonii, Cornovii???
Germanics had no common name kown by us, 'germani' was almost certainly a celtic term adressing some Belgae tribes.
Hard to construct or deconstruct ethnic affinities basing ourselves only upon tribes or regions names, endonyms as well as exonyms, I think. We need more (ancient and today languages, archeology, witnesses...)
I personally don't put in too big doubt the classical theory of the Pripet bassin as possible (late enough) cradle of the future Slavs by osmosis of a Balto-Slavic proto-group and local post-Tripolye groups including an heavy pre-Neolithic Y-I2a1 component... But my light knowledge doesn't allow me to be too affirmative.
Concerning Slavonic, its first southern localization could very well be caused by its links with christianization of Slavs beginning in South after contacts with East Roman Empire (remnants)?
This "ethnonym" however is one of the major confusions in researching anything about Slavs.

Last edited:
What I meant that only Slovaks and Slovenes didn't abandon the ethnonym Slav. Both countries' names mean "slovenic region".
Nationalism virtually didn't exist back then, political entities usually drew their name from older regional names, or from seats of power, or from the dynasty that held the power.
Nitra, for example, was called so presumably after the castle and town of Nitra, seat of the ruling dynasty. We are talking about the dark ages, almost nothing is known about central Europe in this period, most of the time we can only take an educated guess (aside from a few proven facts).

They weren't even the first promoters of the christian religion to come here, monks from Bavaria and British Isles had come much earlier, as had Roman colonists and soldiers before them
You did not abandoned it but rather adopt it.
Historiography is quite clear about this who were the Sclavenes?
The Sclaveni (in Latin) or Sklavenoi (in Greek) were early South Slavic tribes that raided, invaded and settled the Balkans in the Early Middle Ages. They were mentioned by early Byzantine chroniclers as barbarians at the Byzantine borders. The Sclaveni were differentiated from the Antes (East Slavs) and Wends (West Slavs).West Slavs were called Wends prior to be called Sclavenes (Slavs)
Is this hard for you to accept?
I'm not sure what do you mean by mentioning Cyril and Methodius. But their importance for our region has been greatly exaggerated by romantic nationalist historiography. We don't use their alphabet, orthodox christian sect was never dominant here and their stay in Moravia was very short (their disciples were exiled).
Yes indeed national romaniticist made big deal out of wishful thinking,just like it was addressed prior.

Last edited:
You did not abandoned it but rather adopt it.
Historiography is quite clear about this who were the Sclavenes?
The Sclaveni (in Latin) or Sklavenoi (in Greek) were early South Slavic tribes that raided, invaded and settled the Balkans in the Early Middle Ages. They were mentioned by early Byzantine chroniclers as barbarians at the Byzantine borders. The Sclaveni were differentiated from the Antes (East Slavs) and Wends (West Slavs).West Slavs were called Wends prior to be called Sclavenes (Slavs)
Is this hard for you to accept?

Yes indeed national romaniticist made big deal out of wishful thinking,just like it was addressed prior.

Wends terminology was first used ~700AD in reference to the Veleti tribe of modern Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, ......and, was not sclavenes older or young than the year 700AD ??
The Veleti (German: Wieleten; Polish: Wieleci) or Wilzi(ans) (also Wiltzes; German: Wilzen) were a group of medieval Lechites tribes within the territory of modern northeastern Germany; see Polabian Slavs. In common with other Slavic groups between the Elbe and Oder Rivers, they were often described by Germanic sources as Wends.

Where are you getting these fantasy stories from?

This thread has been viewed 80950 times.

Back