Gay Marriage OFFTOPIC Mike v Hyde

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually went back to the original thread to try and find what you were disagreeing about in the first place, but I've had no luck so far... I think I didn't go back far enough... :mad:

Mea culpa. I split the thread because you were no longer arguing about gay marriage, but more about each others opinions. That way, you can carry on with your argument without distracting anyone else from the point of the thread. I hope that makes sense to you guys :)

Mike Cash said:
Excuse my brevity, but I have to put pin a swastika on my baby harp seal coat and go sacrifice a whale to Baal now.
I'm sorry to butt in, but this is one of the funniest things I've read in a while!

Kinsao said:
I actually went back to the original thread to try and find what you were disagreeing about in the first place, but I've had no luck so far... I think I didn't go back far enough... :mad:

I think the "discussion" actually started when Hyde made a post with no paragraph breaks and Mike said she should. Hyde thought that an empassioned post would get attention regardless of the formatting, and Mike thought the majority of forumers would merely gloss over it, thus making any emotion in it moot. It took off from there.

Mike Cash said:
Perhaps you could try reading above your grade level.
Does Virginia Woolf count? Or perhaps Shakespeare, Ibsen, Emily Dickinson?

Mike Cash said:
I'm not in the habit of dumbing down my comments.
I'm not asking you to "dumb down" your comments, just make them clearer.
Oh, side note: Speaking intelligently, last time I checked, didn't equal speaking down to someone.

Mike Cash said:
I just as puzzled as you are about why the thread got broken off.
Huh, guess we both need to proofread more. :p Me talk pretty one day.

I wonder if Virginia Woolf, Billy Shakespeare, Ibsen, or Emily Dickinson would have come away with a bass-ackwards understanding of what I wrote regarding the Establishment Clause.

Reading intelligently, last time I checked, didn't equal blaming the writer for one's own failure to comprehend what others grasped easily.

Where have you been the last couple of days? I missed seeing you around.

Mike Cash said:
I wonder if Virginia Woolf, Billy Shakespeare, Ibsen, or Emily Dickinson would have come away with a bass-ackwards understanding of what I wrote regarding the Establishment Clause.
Actually I think dear Billy (refer to his sonnets) and Virginia (a.k.a Mrs. Dalloway) might agree with me on this subject. Eh-hem. As well as, Tschaikowsky, Oscar Wilde, and Tennessee Williams.

Mike Cash said:
Reading intelligently, last time I checked, didn't equal blaming the writer for one's own failure to comprehend what others grasped easily.
Who are these others that you speak of? Everyone on here seems pretty mystified by this whole affair actually.

Ibsen: Vision of Hedda feeding the Loevborg manuscript into the fire:"I'm burning your child!" (Even gave Oscar Wilde the chills.)

How is homosexuality viewed in your country or culture?

Is that question directed to me or someone else? Because if it's to me, and since your country flag is the same as mine, I would assume you already know that.

The question is directed at everyone and anyone. I'm certain our perceptions on the treatment of homosexuality are different even if we do have the same little flags.

I think my own personal opinions on this matter have been made rather clear throughout this debate. As far as the opinion of my country...well, just watch the news. :wary:

In my school we have a counselor who happens to be gay. He adopted a young man who was having extreme troubles at home because of his sexual orientation-- and was basically abandoned and homeless at the point that my friend stepped in. I have a teacher that adopted a boy who was being physically abused by a step father and emotionally abandoned by his mother. There is one kid- who is flamboyant and openly gay, and in spite of some teasing seems to have adjusted quite well and is somewhat popular among at least his circle of friends.

I think there still is a great deal of intolerance and prejudice in the US directed against homosexuals. That especially young men face bitter and vicious harassment, taunting and even physical violence. We remain a bigoted and intolerant society to homosexuals...But I also feel that there is a significantly higher degree of acceptance than any other time in our history... That homosexuals face fewer restrictions and less prejudice legally and in the work place than before.

"Fewer" do you realize how that sounds? So just because not as many people harass us then it's suddenly okay when a slightly smaller number does? Right.

Hyde_is_my_anti-drug said:
"Fewer" do you realize how that sounds? So just because not as many people harass us then it's suddenly okay when a slightly smaller number does? Right.

Yes, Hyde, you are right and quite perceptive. There is smugness in the minds of those who qualify their words so as to make things seem "not that bad," so therefore you should be grateful for the scraps you have been thrown. I mean, why should you demand an actual equal chair at the table. You are not like them to deserve such.

I am glad to see you identify it and reject such rubbish. That is the offering of those who do not wish to grant equality of consideration for the hurt they cause.

Didn't at all ever say it was okay. You will face harassment and oposition. That is not new. I don't think it is fair and it won't come from me. Just be prepared for intollerance and bigotry.

It will not stop you however from going to college, getting an education and securing a job in the profession of your choice. It will not prevent you from buying a house and getting the loan, of buying a car and driving without fear of the police arresting you. I would say that that is a significant improvement over the way thing were thirty years ago.

strongvoicesforward said:
Yes, Hyde, you are right and quite perceptive. There is smugness in the minds of those who qualify their words so as to make things seem "not that bad," so therefore you should be grateful for the scraps you have been thrown. I mean, why should you demand an actual equal chair at the table. You are not like them to deserve such.

I am glad to see you identify it and reject such rubbish. That is the offering of those who do not wish to grant equality of consideration for the hurt they cause.

Right the whole "be glad you have a roof over your head" BS doesn't wash with me. Yes, it's terrible that some people don't but does that mean that I have to lie down and take it just because I have it slightly better then some? Hell no.

sabro said:
It will not stop you however from going to college, getting an education and securing a job in the profession of your choice. It will not prevent you from buying a house and getting the loan, of buying a car and driving without fear of the police arresting you. I would say that that is a significant improvement over the way thing were thirty years ago.
Actually yes it will. People still get fired for others THINKING that they MIGHT be gay nevermind if they're actually gay. Sure the company'll have a cover reason but everyone knows the real reason for them getting sacked.

Again I never said "be glad you have a roof over your head" or anything close to that sentiment. As far as "lie down and take it..." I never asked you to, don't expect you to and would not want that.

Don't misunderstand what I am saying. It is quite clear if you read it.

Did I say that you said that? No. I was replying to SVF not you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 36570 times.

Back