If you had to live like a hunter-gatherer what lifestyle and location would you pick?

I like Steve's attitude; Hawaii has the perfect climate. :)

I think they were already farmers by the time they set out, however.

Good observation! At least in transition, where women farm and men still hunts. In this case sails and catches sea food.
So, they were farmers, therefore they had the numbers to play the lucky game. Send thousands to the ocean and few lucky ones will find new islands and live to tell the stories about great sailors and navigators.

It's true. That occurred to me after I posted it. They farmed taro pretty extensively.

Moana! They were first class sailors. I wonder if they were really that good to sail Pacific, looking at stars, and come back to the same little island to tell stories, or it was a game of numbers. For example many new families needed to sail off into vast ocean and one in 20 got lucky landing on new islands starting new population?

I think they were really that good. Hawai'i is a prime example of an "advanced" literate culture belittling the seemingly incredible accomplishments of a "primitive" oral culture. But the Hawaiians were culturally advanced beyond the Europeans of that time IMHO. And their navigation techniques--at least what remains of them--have been demonstrated by modern researchers to be highly sophisticated and very effective.

I think they were really that good. Hawai'i is a prime example of an "advanced" literate culture belittling the seemingly incredible accomplishments of a "primitive" oral culture. But the Hawaiians were culturally advanced beyond the Europeans of that time IMHO. And their navigation techniques--at least what remains of them--have been demonstrated by modern researchers to be highly sophisticated and very effective.
Are you sure they could have know the way from Hawaii to Easter Island (what a pun!) just reading stars at night? Without compas and clock? You off 50 miles and next island is Antarctica. ;)

Northern Iran to Portugal, maybe stay out of the Balkans and parts of Turkey.

This thread has been viewed 18091 times.

Back