Philosophy Is god a form of entertainment for the brain ?

I suppose that it's a bit of an unconscious reaction to refer to nazism as it's
probably the most obvious example of 2WW atrocities. Another example that comes to mind is Japan, of course... I don't know whether the nazis were extremist Christians for the sake of Christianity or because they were Christians who needed scapegoats and a religion to use as a vehicle for their own purposes. People are happy to join a party if it promises them a safe future, which is one of the things the Nazi party promoted. Work for all, someone to blame for your misery and social unity.

As for Japan, wasn't shintoism specifically tinkered with to suit the purposes of the nation state? I atleast get the impression that many major events in the history that have something to do with religion are more about politics than religion... But I suppose that might depend on your point of view.

Religions perhaps tend to support social unity and order as well but then again, isn't it something a society needs? I'm not defending a religion or another, I'm just saying that people seem to need a codified set of rules before they can function as a group. Maybe that's why it's not very
surprising to notice that religions and philosophies share similar qualities/values (such as Christianity on Confucianism for example). As pointed out before, there are things in life hard science doesn't give a very satisfying answer to but religion does as well as philosophy.

I suppose the thing I'm trying to say is that I see religion as something people have created to help them cope with life better so it's probably not just pure entertainment. These days, religion doesn't have as big a big role in explaining nature as it did before, but there are still other aspects it can give an answer to or offer relief.

miu said:
Religions perhaps tend to support social unity and order as well but then again, isn't it something a society needs? I'm not defending a religion or another, I'm just saying that people seem to need a codified set of rules before they can function as a group.

If you like codified rules, I invite you to read the 80,000 pages of EU laws + your country's national laws. Don't worry, if something hasn't been mentioned yet, it will come ! There are plenty of human right and other civic values in them. But you are right, religion used to play a similar role... thousands of years ago.

I am right-brained according to that test. I did believe in God at one time, but after putting my faith on the line in debates many times, I began to even to start questioning other parts of the Bible. It was that I didn't want any part of my faith to be unreasoned, and so I set out to reason all parts of the faith. Apologetics was of course the best way to do this.

I do not believe I am terribly wispy. Certainly, I am not highly educated, but have sought to educate myself to some extent, in debating and reading other people's thoughts. It is with the idea that Questions are the Answers that I sought to question everything, and not simply take anything as I heard it.

I can most certainly say that my mother is very intelligent, a very strong person, and highly effective at whatever she puts herself to. She remains a strong believer in the Christian faith.

All in all, I would agree that religions can give people a lot of strength. It is just the taking on of some very powerful perceptions, perceptions of hope, and love magnified by the power of conviction.

It can also have the opposite effect, as a lot of people that grew up in hell fire and brimstone familes were terrified, and a few even got deep into theology at a very young age, in fear that if they didn't find the truth within the Bible, they would be forever sent to eternal torment. These people, once they started applying logic to find the truth, eventually found that some of it was true.

I don't know that I like this theory that right brained people find creative ways to make themselves happier. It makes the left brained people seem less happy, and somehow colder. I simply believe that all people can carefully look at an array of perceptions, and find a perception that best triggers happy feelings for them. These perceptions can indeed still fit reality.

I forgot who brought this point up, but one reason Christianity may have not done well in the early days, was that the Greeks had their gods. But these were treated much the same as modern Japanses treat religion, they go to Shinto shrines for New years, and they go to Buddhist temples or Christian churches for funerals or memorial services. Religion really isn't anything serious here for most.

Those who were serious about finding the truth in Greece at the time when Christianity was first making it's splash there, didn't go to religion, but rather to philosophy. Philosophy is rigorous, as the ideas require a lot of contemplation.

Just my rambling thoughts on all this.

Mycernius said:
Christianity is no more or less important than any other religion. To say differently smacks of arrogance and ignorance.

You can be right in terms of Christian religion being able to do it. But God does not do so.

I have said so many times that my story is not to convince or prove something. But I simply shared the true story that I know of.

I would say the arrogance and ignorace is in human beings. We think we know a lot yet we don't know much. That's the truth. I don't mean I know all just because I am Christian as many of you think Christians think like that.

I don't claim Christianity is better than all other religions.

All I am saying is that God knows all. Humans don't. Humans I mean you and me and all other people, including Christians. Does it make sense?

Revenant said:
All in all, I would agree that religions can give people a lot of strength. It is just the taking on of some very powerful perceptions, perceptions of hope, and love magnified by the power of conviction.

I think that the idea I have of religion is similar to yours. It maybe doesn't have to be a religion per se but a way of thinking in any case. I believe that we all have a need for a philosophy of somekind that we can follow and with which we can explain things to ourselves. Maybe the thing in religions (or other established ways of thinking, philosophies and what have you) is that alongside the guidelines, they also provide a community and something more personal than just facts. You have someone/something you can turn to for advice, consolidation etc. That's why a big pile of books filled with laws and directives might not seem enough to put your mind at ease. After all, isn't the ideal law an objective one?

In general, I find it saddening how some people nowadays seem hostile or get sarcastic and start belittling when talking about religions. I would like to view religions as a construction of social, philosophical and moral values (and more) which should be studied in a wider context. Also, this conversation seems to revolve around Chrstianity as if it's the only religion in the entire universe - life does exist elsewhere too, you know. :sorry:

This thread has been viewed 15330 times.

Back