Is most of Europe poorer than the U.S.?

Credit for starting up a country is much easier to obtain, also, although things aren't as good as when he came to America.
Eighteen months after arriving, having found an Italian American partner who had some experience and could translate for him (and whom out of loyalty he then carried for decades), he got a start up loan with no collateral other than his skill, job history and character. Oh, and without a university degree, either.
Within five years he was employing hundreds and hundreds of people. That couldn't have happened where he came from minus an education and connections, either legit or criminal.
Forged about Europe. USA it's the land of freedom. All the rest it's just far leftist propaganda. Please , keep USA as it already is. Don't change it into something like Europe.

I can't tell much, but there's something for sure; if you want to make money, USA is the right place. Forged about Europe or EU. My compatriots whom migrated into USA, generally bought two houses. While these working in Europe in the best case bought only one house. USA , and generally north America is the best.

Interesting that you mentioned houses. I hired a Portuguese woman "right off the boat", as we say, to help with the housework and child care because I worked even after my children were born. She lived in so she could save every dime of her salary. She also used the time to learn English, and get her driver's license. After six years, she got married, literally out of my house, and my son was her ring bearer at the wedding. Her husband is a stone mason and all around construction worker. With her saved money they bought a rather dilapidated two family house. She cleaned two houses a day five days a week for money even after her daughter was born (another Portuguese woman looked after five children for her and other women in the community). The money she made they used for construction supplies while they lived on his salary. Part of the reason it worked is because we keep more of our salary because we pay lower taxes. Weekends and nights they both worked on the house. Eventually, they lived in one flat and rented out the other, so they were living rent free. Using that house as collateral, they got a loan to buy another house, and eventually another, all of which they also fixed up and rented. I tell her that she's going to become a real estate mogul. :)This is a woman from a farm in Portugal where she was still washing clothes at an outdoor water trough, and didn't make it past the basic required education level. Her daughter goes to a Catholic school and is doing very well. Last year she had a house built in Portugal where she installed her parents and where she goes on vacation, although she tells me she'll never go back there to live. Frankly, I think she also wanted to stick it in the eye of all those people who had always looked down on them.

Given the difficulty of getting credit for people like her in Europe, and the unbelievable regulations when you build and rent out property, this would never have been possible for her if she hadn't left. According to her, neither would she and her husband ever have gotten the respect they do here.

Instead of Europe wanting to become more like the U.S. in terms of an economic system, I see people wanting to change it into Europe. I don't get it. Imo, it's not logical. If you have some intelligence, have any skills at all, are not afraid of hard work, aren't an alcoholic or druggie or gambler or suffering from mental illness, you can't beat it for economic opportunity, and nobody gives a darn about the pedigree of your parents or grandparents. As my Dad told the loan officer, what I have as collateral is my hands and what's in my brain. It will be enough, I promise you. It was.

Interesting that you mentioned houses. I hired a Portuguese woman "right off the boat", as we say, to help with the housework and child care because I worked even after my children were born. She lived in so she could save every dime of her salary. She also used the time to learn English, and get her driver's license. After six years, she got married, literally out of my house, and my son was her ring bearer at the wedding. Her husband is a stone mason and all around construction worker. With her saved money they bought a rather dilapidated two family house. She cleaned two houses a day five days a week for money even after her daughter was born (another Portuguese woman looked after five children for her and other women in the community). The money she made they used for construction supplies while they lived on his salary. Part of the reason it worked is because we keep more of our salary because we pay lower taxes. Weekends and nights they both worked on the house. Eventually, they lived in one flat and rented out the other, so they were living rent free. Using that house as collateral, they got a loan to buy another house, and eventually another, all of which they also fixed up and rented. I tell her that she's going to become a real estate mogul. :)This is a woman from a farm in Portugal where she was still washing clothes at an outdoor water trough, and didn't make it past the basic required education level. Her daughter goes to a Catholic school and is doing very well. Last year she had a house built in Portugal where she installed her parents and where she goes on vacation, although she tells me she'll never go back there to live. Frankly, I think she also wanted to stick it in the eye of all those people who had always looked down on them.

Given the difficulty of getting credit for people like her in Europe, and the unbelievable regulations when you build and rent out property, this would never have been possible for her if she hadn't left. According to her, neither would she and her husband ever have gotten the respect they do here.

Instead of Europe wanting to become more like the U.S. in terms of an economic system, I see people wanting to change it into Europe. I don't get it. Imo, it's not logical. If you have some intelligence, have any skills at all, are not afraid of hard work, aren't an alcoholic or druggie or gambler or suffering from mental illness, you can't beat it for economic opportunity, and nobody gives a darn about the pedigree of your parents or grandparents. As my Dad told the loan officer, what I have as collateral is my hands and what's in my brain. It will be enough, I promise you. It was.
dear Angela! USA has still some advantages compared to Europe like lower population density and virgin lands. When USA brings a lot of skilled Indians and the population density rises Americans also will have fewer houses. American way of life is unsustainable f for all the world. European way of life is more sustainable so Europe will be there for s long time

A few points:

1) The notion that opportunity is greater in the US is not fact-based. The US and the UK together has the lowest social mobility in the western world. I don't have enough posts to include references, but a quick google of social mobility and countries should provide facts. Also, the Economist in feb 2018 had a interesting article on how people in the US overestimate their ability to move up more than any other nation. Better social mobility in the US is a bit of a national myth.

2) The original post just compares GDPs. In addition to the good points made about how this is pulled up by the super-rich and the median doing worse than most of Europe, people have different expenses. It is more relevant to compare GDPs between nations with roughly similar social benefits. The average family in the US pays 12 000 $ for health insurance. (in GDP terms it is irrelevant if the money is paid out of pocket or subtracted from wages. The citizens are not seeing it anyway). Americans also have to consider things like college for their kids, pensions etc, which may be free or included in some European countries. The larger expenses here will have an impact on a persons finances.

3) My experience is that the notion that personal taxes are so much lower in the US is a myth. Its just spread out over more taxes. My experience of life in Norway and the US is that you pay much the same total taxes. Other European nations may look different, I understand that Denmark has very high taxes. But that does mean there are considerable variation in Europe.

I'm not going to go over all of this again, or all of the deceptive statistics and flawed social science studies. In case you haven't heard, the social sciences and even economics are undergoing a huge replication crisis in terms of lots of studies, because left wing politics hijacked science. We've covered it extensively here and elsewhere.

Talk to me when a huge percentage of your population is an underclass like ours, with all the problems that they have, including drug and alcohol addiction. I never said everyone in American society can prosper and move up the latter economically. A lot of people are incapable of it, for various reasons, and the more automation takes hold, the more of them there will be. All any government can try to provide is equal opportunity; it can't guarantee equal outcomes.

Also, the health insurance benefits most people get through their employer aren't computed as part of their salaries. (As for employee contributions, I've never contributed a penny in my life toward it) That's part of your total "package", not your total income or salary, and the "dollar value" of your health insurance doesn't go onto your IRS form, which is where the gross and net salaries for these studies are culled. That's all untaxed "extra" income.

I'm sorry, but there is no comparison between these small, homogenous societies and the U.S.

I'm not going to go over all of this again, or all of the deceptive statistics and flawed social science studies. In case you haven't heard, the social sciences and even economics are undergoing a huge replication crisis in terms of lots of studies, because left wing politics hijacked science. We've covered it extensively here and elsewhere.

Talk to me when a huge percentage of your population is an underclass like ours, with all the problems that they have, including drug and alcohol addiction. I never said everyone in American society can prosper and move up the latter economically. A lot of people are incapable of it, for various reasons, and the more automation takes hold, the more of them there will be. All any government can try to provide is equal opportunity; it can't guarantee equal outcomes.

Also, the health insurance benefits most people get through their employer aren't computed as part of their salaries. (As for employee contributions, I've never contributed a penny in my life toward it) That's part of your total "package", not your total income or salary, and the "dollar value" of your health insurance doesn't go onto your IRS form, which is where the gross and net salaries for these studies are culled. That's all untaxed "extra" income.

I'm sorry, but there is no comparison between these small, homogenous societies and the U.S.

I think that the misunderstanding comes from the fact that there are many different societies, cultures and systems in Europe. Italy and Norway are vastly different in many regards. Tax rates and socio-economic opportunities vary a lot between countries.

Tax rates in the USA can vary a lot between states too. According to this Wikipedia list of countries by tax rates, the maximum tax rate in the USA is 51.8% (max federal tax of 37% + max state tax of 13.3% + max city tax o 1.5%). That's higher that the highest rate in all European countries except for Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Austria, the Netherlands and Luxembourg. For example the highest tax rate in Italy is 43%, while in the UK, France and Spain it is 45%. Generally poorer countries have lower tax rate (although there are exceptions). The developing word has very low tax rates. Even in Europe the lowest rates are found in countries like Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia and Bosnia (all with a max rate of only 10%).

The Economist explained that Americans overestimate social mobility based on a study comparing actual vs perceived social mobility. In contrast, Europeans underestimated their capacity to move up the social ladder. That is why Americans typically boast of the 'American Dream' and the land of opportunities, but the data shows that Americans are in fact more likely than West Europeans to remain poor if born poor, and Americans also have less chances to moving from the bottom quintile to the top quintile during their life time.

Once again, there are variations within Europe. The OECD did a in-depth study of Intergenerational Social Mobility across OECD Countries and found that the extent to which sons’ earnings levels reflect those of their fathers (low social mobility) was highest in the UK, Italy and the USA, all three with a correlation of nearly 0.5 (out of 1). It was much lower (high social mobility) in Denmark, Austria, Norway and Finland - all under 0.2 (see page 5).

Of all OECD countries, the influence of parental background on student achievement in secondary education was the highest in the USA (page 8). They didn't do the same for tertiary education, but it is obvious that the USA is the most unequal society in this regard, given the extremely high cost of American universities. Both in the UK and the USA going to expensive private secondary schools strongly favours admission to prestigious universities, which in turn usually guarantees higher salaries. This system perpetrates the status quo and discourages social mobility.

The Economist explained that Americans overestimate social mobility based on a study comparing actual vs perceived social mobility. In contrast, Europeans underestimated their capacity to move up the social ladder. That is why Americans typically boast of the 'American Dream' and the land of opportunities, but the data shows that Americans are in fact more likely than West Europeans to remain poor if born poor, and Americans also have less chances to moving from the bottom quintile to the top quintile during their life time.
So why do you think that Americans and Europeans feel so differently about their opportunities? Name a worldwide celebrated European success story other than Royalty.

There will never be a European Bill Gates, Amazon.com, Google etc. Europeans tend to be workers, not entrepreneurs. If you reach a certain success level, you wind up paying more than 50% taxes in much of Europe.

Even if in the US many don't move up, at least there are doors open. Europe has limits. Limits how low you can fall and how high you can rise. America has less limits. But overall, it is why the US is THE nation of nations. I don't care how many people try to say it isn't. The system works and produces opportunities and mobility. It doesn't mean everyone takes advantage of it. But it does mean that if you really put effort into something, you can get something back and not wind up paying more than half in taxes at one point to make sure that everyone feels safe regardless of what they are doing with their lives.

So why do you think that Americans and Europeans feel so differently about their opportunities? Name a worldwide celebrated European success story other than Royalty.

There will never be a European Bill Gates, Amazon.com, Google etc. Europeans tend to be workers, not entrepreneurs. If you reach a certain success level, you wind up paying more than 50% taxes in much of Europe.

Even if in the US many don't move up, at least there are doors open. Europe has limits. Limits how low you can fall and how high you can rise. America has less limits. But overall, it is why the US is THE nation of nations. I don't care how many people try to say it isn't. The system works and produces opportunities and mobility. It doesn't mean everyone takes advantage of it. But it does mean that if you really put effort into something, you can get something back and not wind up paying more than half in taxes at one point to make sure that everyone feels safe regardless of what they are doing with their lives.

European success stories? Easy:

- Amancio Ortega, currently the 5th wealthiest person in the world, worth $67 billion, made his wealth through his company, Inditex, the mother company of Zara, Massimo Dutti and many other fashion brands.

- Ingvar Kamprad, founder of Ikea, who was worth $58 billion when he died this year (more than either Google founder)

- Leonardo Del Vecchio founded Luxottica, an eye wear company. He came from an impoverished family and is now worth $24 billion.

- SAP, co-founded by Dietmar Hopp, Klaus Tschira, Hans-Werner Hector, Hasso Plattner, and Claus Wellenreuther. They all became multi-billionaires. Hasso Plattner is the richest in the lot and is now worth $14 billion.

- James Dyson, founder of the Dyson company of vacuum cleaner, is now worth $11 bn.

- Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin Group, which made him over $6 billion.

- The Kristiansen family, who founded and still own the Lego Group and are worth over $20 billlions.

- Ruben Rausing founded Tetra Pak. His son Hans took over the family business and has a fortune of $12 bn.

- The Swedish businessman Bertil Hult founded the international education company EF (Education First) and is now worth $7.5 bn.

- Martin Lorentzon, Swedish founder of Spotify and Tradedoubler, has a wealth of $4 bn.

There are many families of self-made billionaires, especially in Italy, such as the Agnelli of FIAT, the Ferrero of the epynomous company, the De'Longhi, and fashion designers like Giorgio Armani ($7 bn), Patrizio_Bertelli and Miuccia Prada (of Prada, worth together $9 bn), just to cite a few. Fashion billionaires are not just found in Italy. The Dane Anders Holch Povlsen is the founder and sole owner of the Bestseller company and is now worth $6 bn. The Persson family in Sweden founded H&M. Stefan Persson alone is worth $18 bn.

There are plenty of other families of billionaires who made their money through the business they founded, including car makers, pharmaceutical companies and other industries. I am not going to list them all.

- Amancio Ortega, currently the 5th wealthiest person in the world, worth $67 billion, made his wealth through his company, Inditex, the mother company of Zara, Massimo Dutti and many other fashion brands.

- Ingvar Kamprad, founder of Ikea, who was worth $58 billion when he died this year (more than either Google founder)

- Leonardo Del Vecchio founded Luxottica, an eye wear company. He came from an impoverished family and is now worth $24 billion.

- SAP, co-founded by Dietmar Hopp, Klaus Tschira, Hans-Werner Hector, Hasso Plattner, and Claus Wellenreuther. They all became multi-billionaires. Hasso Plattner is the richest in the lot and is now worth $14 billion.

- James Dyson, founder of the Dyson company of vacuum cleaner, is now worth $11 bn.

- The Kristiansen family, who founded and still own the Lego Group and are worth over $20 billlions.

- Ruben Rausing founded Tetra Pak. His son Hans took over the family business and has a fortune of $12 bn.

- The Swedish businessman Bertil Hult founded the international education company EF (Education First) and is now worth $7.5 bn.

- Martin Lorentzon, Swedish founder of Spotify and Tradedoubler, has a wealth of $4 bn.

There are many families of self-made billionaires, especially in Italy, such as the Agnelli of FIAT, the Ferrero of the epynomous company, the De'Longhi, and fashion designers like Giorgio Armani ($7 bn), Patrizio_Bertelli and Miuccia Prada (of Prada, worth together $9 bn), just to cite a few. Fashion billionaires are not just found in Italy. The Dane Anders Holch Povlsen is the founder and sole owner of the Bestseller company and is now worth $6 bn. The Persson family in Sweden founded H&M. Stefan Persson alone is worth $18 bn.

There are plenty of other families of billionaires who made their money through the business they founded, including car makers, pharmaceutical companies and other industries. I am not going to list them all.

I didn't word this well. And of course, Richard Branson would be a worldwide celebrated European success story.
But I am also looking at the list of the top 10 companies and not one is European. 8 out of 10 are American.

you missed one important Internet. Internet was started by Europe and payed for by Europe. Obviously the person lives in his narrow world called USA

I didn't word this well. And of course, Richard Branson would be a worldwide celebrated European success story.
But I am also looking at the list of the top 10 companies and not one is European. 8 out of 10 are American.

I don' know which list you checked. Here is the Wikipedia list of largest companies by revenue. In the top 10, 3 are European, 3 are Chinese, 3 are American and one is Japanese.

The Forbes Global 500 ranking has only 126 American corporations (25% of the total) against 188 East Asian companies and 143 European ones.

I think that the misunderstanding comes from the fact that there are many different societies, cultures and systems in Europe. Italy and Norway are vastly different in many regards. Tax rates and socio-economic opportunities vary a lot between countries.

Tax rates in the USA can vary a lot between states too. According to this Wikipedia list of countries by tax rates, the maximum tax rate in the USA is 51.8% (max federal tax of 37% + max state tax of 13.3% + max city tax o 1.5%). That's higher that the highest rate in all European countries except for Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Austria, the Netherlands and Luxembourg. For example the highest tax rate in Italy is 43%, while in the UK, France and Spain it is 45%. Generally poorer countries have lower tax rate (although there are exceptions). The developing word has very low tax rates. Even in Europe the lowest rates are found in countries like Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia and Bosnia (all with a max rate of only 10%).

Once again, there are variations within Europe. The OECD did a in-depth study of Intergenerational Social Mobility across OECD Countries and found that the extent to which sons’ earnings levels reflect those of their fathers (low social mobility) was highest in the UK, Italy and the USA, all three with a correlation of nearly 0.5 (out of 1). It was much lower (high social mobility) in Denmark, Austria, Norway and Finland - all under 0.2 (see page 5).

Of all OECD countries, the influence of parental background on student achievement in secondary education was the highest in the USA (page 8). They didn't do the same for tertiary education, but it is obvious that the USA is the most unequal society in this regard, given the extremely high cost of American universities. Both in the UK and the USA going to expensive private secondary schools strongly favours admission to prestigious universities, which in turn usually guarantees higher salaries. This system perpetrates the status quo and discourages social mobility.

This includes ALL taxes: income, investment, social security, property, and sales purchases:

v9jt8A5.png
[/IMG]

Then you have to factor in the lower cost of a lot of goods and services here, and real property as well.

There's just no comparison.

As for upward mobility, as I've said over and over again, all of our figures are skewed by the fact that such a large percentage of our population doesn't work, has never worked, have no education, etc.

It impacts things like health statistics, for example. I see these stats all the time about how bad the infant mortality rates are for the U.S. Yeah, they are, but you have to factor in how many of those babies are born in ghettos to drug addicted mothers who have never gotten the proper pre-natal care even if they have medicaid. It's just an unfair comparison. Same thing for some education statistics. A lot of the tests are given after the age at which students in Europe have been sorted by ability. That NEVER happens here.

you missed one important Internet. Internet was started by Europe and payed for by Europe. Obviously the person lives in his narrow world called USA

I’m going to Fact-Check you now:
The USA ARMY (US Department of Defense) financed the Internet development.

O1HykVF.jpg

... The history of the Internet begins with the development of electronic computers in the 1950s. Initial concepts of wide area networking originated in several computer science laboratories in the United States, United Kingdom, and France.[1] The US Department of Defense awarded contracts as early as the 1960s, including for the development of the ARPANET project, directed by Robert Taylor and managed by Lawrence Roberts. The first message was sent over the ARPANET in 1969 from computer science Professor Leonard Kleinrock's laboratory at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) to the second network node at Stanford Research Institute (SRI). ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet

O1HykVF.jpg

... The history of the Internet begins with the development of electronic computers in the 1950s. Initial concepts of wide area networking originated in several computer science laboratories in the United States, United Kingdom, and France.[1] The US Department of Defense awarded contracts as early as the 1960s, including for the development of the ARPANET project, directed by Robert Taylor and managed by Lawrence Roberts. The first message was sent over the ARPANET in 1969 from computer science Professor Leonard Kleinrock's laboratory at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) to the second network node at Stanford Research Institute (SRI). ...

That's absolutely correct. For quite a while it was a defense department and governmental thing. I'm sure of it, but I can't tell you why and how, because then I'd have to kill you! :)

O1HykVF.jpg

I meant world wide web! It did not start by US army! The center of WWW was in Switzerland and its development was payed by Europe. The network of US army was private and minuscule in scope

You all are wrong! It was the Indo Europeans who invented the Internet

@Tutkun Arnaut

@Davef

I’m not wrong.

We are talking about money, not inventions.
I said that the USA ARMY (US Department of Defense) financed the Internet development.
I didn’t say who Invented the Internet.
As a Government I stated Who Paid for it, to develop (enhance) and it was NOT the Europeans to do it at first as Tutkun Arnaut asserted in his 1st post, but the Americans.

@Angela - lol :)

@Davef -
Al Gore invented the Internet lol ;)

Last edited:
This includes ALL taxes: income, investment, social security, property, and sales purchases:

v9jt8A5.png
[/IMG]

Then you have to factor in the lower cost of a lot of goods and services here, and real property as well.

There's just no comparison.

We aren't talking about income tax anymore, but total taxes, including corporate taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, inheritance, taxes, license taxes. The biggest share of the taxes is paid by companies. The reason why some European countries have substantially higher tax revenues is because corporate taxes are higher. US federal corporate tax is 21%, while in Europe it is up to 33% in France, 29.5% in Germany and Belgium, 29% in Greece, 28% in Italy, 25% in Austria and Spain, etc.

Then sales taxes (VAT) are also much higher in Europe, with rates generally between 20 and 25%, while it is between 0% and 11.7% in US States. Nevertheless many European countries have reduced rates and zero rates for essential goods and services (food, children stuff, books, pharmaceuticals, sports, transports).

This thread has been viewed 32009 times.

Back