Politics Joe Biden's Presidency

Well, he finally did it. Joe Biden is even more unpopular than Donald Trump!

Why is Biden now less popular than Trump? He's earned it. (yahoo.com)

This is quite the feat considering Biden has all of the corporations, social media titans, journalists, and Hollywood celebrities going to bat for him 24/7! While the relationship is completely inverted in regard to Trump.

The moral of the story for politicians is don't ever let it get to the point where parents fear they can't feed their children. I'm only feeding three people and I can't believe how much more I have to spend on groceries than I did even a year ago. Everything else costs more too. I don't know how parents with babies and toddlers can afford diapers and diaper rash cream. One mother in front of me on line was bemoaning the costs.

Plus, I now have to wait months to get my bathroom and family room floor redone because it takes forever to ship goods.

It's starting to feel like some third world country.

It also doesn't help that because of the pandemic parents got to see their children's syllabus in detail for the first time, and they definitely didn't like it.

Add in the debacle that was the Afghanistan withdrawal and all this concern about Ukraine's borders when ours are a revolving door and there you have it.

Well, he finally did it. Joe Biden is even more unpopular than Donald Trump!

Why is Biden now less popular than Trump? He's earned it. (yahoo.com)

This is quite the feat considering Biden has all of the corporations, social media titans, journalists, and Hollywood celebrities going to bat for him 24/7! While the relationship is completely inverted in regard to Trump.

I'm only judging it from an European point of view. And my goodness if Trump had to handle the Ukraine crisis with his unguided projectile style and his admiration for Putin.....would be a disaster!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-show-putins-plot-to-put-trump-in-white-house

I'm only judging it from an European point of view. And my goodness if Trump had to handle the Ukraine crisis with his unguided projectile style and his admiration for Putin.....would be a disaster!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-show-putins-plot-to-put-trump-in-white-house

Interestingly when Trump was president he invoked a NATO principle regarding energy or some rule and put a block on the Russian pipeline project into Germany. His argument is hmm, the USA has millions of equipment and personnel in Germany in NATO protecting Western Europe from "Russia" yet Germany, and other Western Countries are working with "Russia" to build a pipeline for Russian Oil and Gas. The USA under Trump was a net exporter of Oil, Gas and Natural Gas so the logical question is why the hell were the US's "NATO" allies not buying this from the USA rather than "Russia". You know who was against the Russian pipeline into Western Europe. Trump, Poland and Ukraine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? You think with an asset like that now providing a direct supply line for Russian oil and gas into Western Europe might have something to do with Putin's hard "**" for Ukraine?

Germany has sent the Ukraine about 5,000 helmets. Hey we have the Nord 2 pipeline that will help our energy supply so Ukraine, oh well. Biden's response on the Nord 2 pipeline was I was against it while I was not president but now that I am and it is almost complete, I am not going to do anything. Now of course, I am aware of the brutal combat between Germans and Russian troops in WW2 and Germany's sensibility to being seen as being provocative with Russia.

Trump put sanctions on any country helped complete the project. So Ukraine unfortunately is in a pickle. Currently about 1/3 of European Oil and Gas is supplied by Russia, and Ukraine is part of the supply chain of that Oil and Gas. With NORD2, Ukraine is out the loop as that Oil will now go from Russia straight to Lubmin Germany. So NORD2 is likely going to happen and Europe will be even more dependent on Russia for Oil and GAS. If NORD2 is not allowed, then Ukraine unfortunately is going be a flash point given its importance in the land based supply chain for Russian Oil and Gas, which account for 40% or so of Russia's Government Revenues.

So Trump was 100% correct. NATO was designed to stop the Communist Soviet Union. It is obsolete. Why the hell is the USA spending the money we are with troops stationed in Europe to defend it against Russia and the Europeans, Germany chief among them, along with the other countries in the Baltic Sea (Sweden) and Belgium and UK (Nord 2 will eventually link up with UK) are working with the Russians to help them become the largest supplier of Oil and Gas to them. The whole thing makes no F-ing sense.

NATO needs to be re-configured to deal with the real modern threats, China. No more invasions in the Middle East either, if the Sunnis and Shia want to fight each other, let them. No American kid should ever die in these neocon regime change wars there again either. And if any of my fellow American citizens here thinks I am wrong, ask yourself this question, would you want your son, brother, nephew, 1st cousin etc do die there?

Interestingly when Trump was president he invoked a NATO principle regarding energy or some rule and put a block on the Russian pipeline project into Germany. His argument is hmm, the USA has millions of equipment and personnel in Germany in NATO protecting Western Europe from "Russia" yet Germany, and other Western Countries are working with "Russia" to build a pipeline for Russian Oil and Gas. The USA under Trump was a net exporter of Oil, Gas and Natural Gas so the logical question is why the hell were the US's "NATO" allies not buying this from the USA rather than "Russia". You know who was against the Russian pipeline into Western Europe. Trump, Poland and Ukraine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? You think with an asset like that now providing a direct supply line for Russian oil and gas into Western Europe might have something to do with Putin's hard "**" for Ukraine?

Germany has sent the Ukraine about 5,000 helmets. Hey we have the Nord 2 pipeline that will help our energy supply so Ukraine, oh well. Biden's response on the Nord 2 pipeline was I was against it while I was not president but now that I am and it is almost complete, I am not going to do anything. Now of course, I am aware of the brutal combat between Germans and Russian troops in WW2 and Germany's sensibility to being seen as being provocative with Russia.

Trump put sanctions on any country helped complete the project. So Ukraine unfortunately is in a pickle. Currently about 1/3 of European Oil and Gas is supplied by Russia, and Ukraine is part of the supply chain of that Oil and Gas. With NORD2, Ukraine is out the loop as that Oil will now go from Russia straight to Lubmin Germany. So NORD2 is likely going to happen and Europe will be even more dependent on Russia for Oil and GAS. If NORD2 is not allowed, then Ukraine unfortunately is going be a flash point given its importance in the land based supply chain for Russian Oil and Gas, which account for 40% or so of Russia's Government Revenues.

So Trump was 100% correct. NATO was designed to stop the Communist Soviet Union. It is obsolete. Why the hell is the USA spending the money we are with troops stationed in Europe to defend it against Russia and the Europeans, Germany chief among them, along with the other countries in the Baltic Sea (Sweden) and Belgium and UK (Nord 2 will eventually link up with UK) are working with the Russians to help them become the largest supplier of Oil and Gas to them. The whole thing makes no F-ing sense.

NATO needs to be re-configured to deal with the real modern threats, China. No more invasions in the Middle East either, if the Sunnis and Shia want to fight each other, let them. No American kid should ever die in these neocon regime change wars there again either. And if any of my fellow American citizens here thinks I am wrong, ask yourself this question, would you want your son, brother, nephew, 1st cousin etc do die there?

Because Germany can't do no good in this PalermoT. When they act as the European leader which, with a drifted away UK, they really are, the opinion will be: the ghost is again out of the bottle where it had to stay. When Germany is doing I'm just the piano player they are likewise condemned. Hey act up!

Now the NATO seems to be more united than until recent.....an undivided NATO is what Putin real frightens, divide it and Putin rules.

Of course I can understand the division within the US, on the one hand being worlds superpower can lead to overstretch, and of course the offers in lives and $ count, that's fully true. Nevertheless it's more. NATO has imo a new task to defend the "free world" in which nations sovereignty counts and most of all in which we are allied against authoritarianism. Indeed China like you said but Russia is also in that row. And China sees what is going on in Ukraine, when Ukraine falls Taiwan will follow etc. etc. And indeed "the neocon regime change wars" with implanting democracy must not be the aim. But authoritarianism (either Russian or Chinese or whatsoever) must not prevail!

And in that sense is the Biden administration more balanced, Trump admired openly authoritarianism and likes authoritarian leaders like Putin. He was even insulting towards the democratic European leaders like Merkel. A real kind of elephant in the room. And I can't prove it (so very arbitrary, but see the article in the Guardian) but I guess the Russians knew too much about Trump.....and that would have all make it even more tricky than it already is nowadays.....

A lot of people see the hypocrisy, they just feel powerless to do anything about it.

I think if Biden does get us involved with an armed conflict in Ukraine, his popularity will be in the single-digits. An unpopular president dragging a fatigued and fragmenting country, into an unpopular war.

Because Germany can't do no good in this PalermoT. When they act as the European leader which, with a drifted away UK, there really are, the opinion will be: the ghost is again out of the bottle where it had to stay. When Germany is doing I'm just the piano player they are likewise condemned. Hey act up!

Now the NATO seems to be more united than until recent.....an undivided NATO is what Putin real frightens, divide it and Putin rules.

Of course I can understand the division within the US, on the one hand being worlds superpower can lead to overstretch, and of course the offers in lives and $ count, that's fully true. Nevertheless it's more. NATO has imo a new task to defend the "free world" in which nations sovereignty counts and most of all in which we are allied against authoritarianism. Indeed China like you said but Russia is also in that row. And China sees what is going on in Ukraine, when Ukraine falls Taiwan will follow etc. etc. And indeed "the neocon regime change wars" with implanting democracy must not be the aim. But authoritarianism (either Russian or Chinese or whatsoever) must not prevail!

And in that sense is the Biden administration more balanced, Trump admired openly authoritarianism and likes authoritarian leaders like Putin. He was even insulting towards the democratic European leaders like Merkel. A real kind of elephant in the room. And I can't prove it (so very arbitrary, but see the article in the Guardian) but I guess the Russians knew too much about Trump.....and that would have all make it even more tricky than it already is nowadays.....

Biden openly admires authoritarianism too. His administration wants more censorship from big tech, cherry-picks "righteous" vigilantism, seeks to label portions of the US populations as "white supremacists" and "terrorists", and ultimately destroy them.

Biden openly admires authoritarianism too. His administration wants more censorship from big tech, cherry-picks "righteous" vigilantism, seeks to label portions of the US populations as "white supremacists" and "terrorists", and ultimately destroy them.

Without neglecting the dangers of big tech etc, I still can see the difference between elections in the US and in Russia or China. My goodness....

A lot of people see the hypocrisy, they just feel powerless to do anything about it.

I think if Biden does get us involved with an armed conflict in Ukraine, his popularity will be in the single-digits. An unpopular president dragging a fatigued and fragmenting country, into an unpopular war.

You (US) are already involved...let's hope Putin chooses the right way not to choose the definite confrontation....but the signs are still mixed. It still can be powerplay of the Russians (to the edge and not further) on the other hand the chain of reaction is already going on....time bom....can this still be dismantled?

I can't disagree with your facts. Europe mouths platitudes about not letting authoritarianism prevail while making itself dependent on Russia for its energy needs. When the two come into conflict, as indeed they will, who really thinks they'll put their energy needs in peril?

Also, NATO was meant to protect Europe from Russian aggression. That's why all those U.S. troops and missiles are in Germany. Now, Germany and all the other countries buying their energy production means they're in effect getting into bed with them.

Should the U.S. say to hell with you and pull its troops out? I certainly see the appeal and I would bet it's extremely popular in the U.S. Let them see what paying for their own defense does to the Euro and their standard of living.

Would they, however, actually arm themselves in order to resist Russian totalitarianism? I'm not sanguine about the chances.

Europe couldn't even put an end to the ethnic cleansing in the Balkans without the U.S. They would never have thrown off Nazism without the U.S. invasion. Great Britain is the only stalwart among them and they were extremely close to being taken over.

Plus, even if they're willing to spend the money to take over their own defense, what happens when Putin turns off the tap? How do you defend against that?

I've read about the disasters of foreign policy in Europe virtually all my life, but this shortsightedness is breathtaking in its scope.

Putin, on the other hand, running what is basically a third world country, is playing a masterful two pronged strategy. One, make Western Europe dependent on Russia, and two, take over Ukraine to stop the encroachment of NATO on Russian borders.

Western Europe, and the U.S. under Biden, will do absolutely nothing to stop it, just as they did nothing to stop the Germans in Austria or Czechoslovakia. Chamberlain, that doofus, thought he had appeased the tiger and brought "peace in our time". He couldn't understand, as so many people today don't understand, that there is no appeasing tigers, or totalitarian states. It is in their nature to take. In addition to all sorts of other reasons (Russia, notoriously inefficient in agricultural production and industrial production both, just looted all the more efficient Eastern Bloc countries) totalitarian states never feel secure unless they take over other states.

So, do we say "a pox on all your houses", and retreat to a "fortress America"? As I said, I certainly see the appeal, but is it doable? Is it safe? Retreat is always a sign of weakness, and you can so easily be encircled and "starved" out. Also, how to protect ourselves if Russia were to take over Western Europe and there were Russian missiles on the Atlantic? Europe made fun of the "shield" but perhaps that's indeed what we would need. What about concerted cyber attacks from Russia and China? Is whoever is actually governing this country making plans to address these threats?

I'm not hopeful.

Because Germany can't do no good in this PalermoT. When they act as the European leader which, with a drifted away UK, they really are, the opinion will be: the ghost is again out of the bottle where it had to stay. When Germany is doing I'm just the piano player they are likewise condemned. Hey act up!

But you do see the fact that the USA has large amount of assets in Germany in terms of military weaponry and personnel. Germany and Ms. Merkel, were one of those countries that does not spend the required amount of its GDP per NATO agreements. NATO is designed to what, well originally to stop the spread of Soviet Communism. You don't see the hypocrisy of Germany, along with other European countries, but Germany and the NORD2 project with "Russia" to further Western Europe's dependency on Russian Oil but at the same time ask the USA to spend the amount of money and commit the amount of military personnel in Germany to do what, defend against Russia. The entire thing is BS. Trump's issues with Merkel were precisely over her working with Russia for the NORD2, rather than purchase Oil and Gas from the USA, not spend 2% of GDP on NATO defense while ripping Trump for threatening to decrease the USA presence in Germany even more than what has been done since the end of the Cold War.

As I noted in the last 6 years, Western Europe has become more dependent on Russian Oil. The Russians were well on their way to develop more pipelines to sell more/most their Oil and Gas to China, but now with all the Oil flowing into Western Europe from Russia, it seems like you all have gotten yourself economically tied to the Country you want the USA to defend you all from with these outdated NATO treaties. NATO was designed to fight the Soviet Union and communist expansion. Think about it, why does NATO have to be in Ukraine and if your Russia, look at the amount of Oil and Gas Supply lines that run from Russia through Ukraine. No way NATO should be there. Period. And if Russia is so bad, why is Western Europe contracting with Putin for now 1/3 of of its Crude Oil and > 40% of its Natural Gas. The NORD2 is only going to further link Western Europe to Russia for its Oil and Gas. Look at these pipelines through Ukraine from Russia, probably older and not as efficient, but look at the NORD2. After the Cold War ended, the foreign policy of the USA that got countries on Russia's border to join NATO was strategically stupid.

http://www.japanfocus.org/data/oil.gas.lines.gif

http://themillenniumreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/UKRAINEgasMAP.jpg

I can't disagree with your facts. Europe mouths platitudes about not letting authoritarianism prevail while making itself dependent on Russia for its energy needs. When the two come into conflict, as indeed they will, who really thinks they'll put their energy needs in peril?

Also, NATO was meant to protect Europe from Russian aggression. That's why all those U.S. troops and missiles are in Germany. Now, Germany and all the other countries buying their energy production means they're in effect getting into bed with them.

Should the U.S. say to hell with you and pull its troops out? I certainly see the appeal and I would bet it's extremely popular in the U.S. Let them see what paying for their own defense does to the Euro and their standard of living.

Would they, however, actually arm themselves in order to resist Russian totalitarianism? I'm not sanguine about the chances.

Europe couldn't even put an end to the ethnic cleansing in the Balkans without the U.S. They would never have thrown off Nazism without the U.S. invasion. Great Britain is the only stalwart among them and they were extremely close to being taken over.

Plus, even if they're willing to spend the money to take over their own defense, what happens when Putin turns off the tap? How do you defend against that?

I've read about the disasters of foreign policy in Europe virtually all my life, but this shortsightedness is breathtaking in its scope.

Putin, on the other hand, running what is basically a third world country, is playing a masterful two pronged strategy. One, make Western Europe dependent on Russia, and two, take over Ukraine to stop the encroachment of NATO on Russian borders.

Western Europe, and the U.S. under Biden, will do absolutely nothing to stop it, just as they did nothing to stop the Germans in Austria or Czechoslovakia. Chamberlain, that doofus, thought he had appeased the tiger and brought "peace in our time". He couldn't understand, as so many people today don't understand, that there is no appeasing tigers, or totalitarian states. It is in their nature to take. In addition to all sorts of other reasons (Russia, notoriously inefficient in agricultural production and industrial production both, just looted all the more efficient Eastern Bloc countries) totalitarian states never feel secure unless they take over other states.

So, do we say "a pox on all your houses", and retreat to a "fortress America"? As I said, I certainly see the appeal, but is it doable? Is it safe? Retreat is always a sign of weakness, and you can so easily be encircled and "starved" out. Also, how to protect ourselves if Russia were to take over Western Europe and there were Russian missiles on the Atlantic? Europe made fun of the "shield" but perhaps that's indeed what we would need. What about concerted cyber attacks from Russia and China? Is whoever is actually governing this country making plans to address these threats?

I'm not hopeful.

Angela: Your post is fair and accurate and you make good points and point out some important historical markers.

I am not for pulling all USA troops out of Europe, but why are they sitting on Russia's doorsteps and why has the USA and European NATO members continually since the end of the Cold War brought in NATO countries that sit on Russia's border? (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania etc) and now there are NATO foreign policy operatives in both DEM and REP that want to put Ukraine in NATO. For goodness sake, about 20% of Ukraine's population is ethnic Russian. When Russia was putting missiles in Cuba back in 1962, President JFK put up naval blockades of Cuba. There are plenty of Countries that the USA can keep forces in Europe but not on Russia's doorsteps, move them to the UK, Spain, France, Belgium, etc. to be in position to neutralize Russia if they ever do Move further West. You (Germany, and the rest of Western Europe) can't tell me that you want the USA to keep all those assets in Germany to neutralize Russia and at the same time Germany was the main European country that contracted with Putin for NORD2. As I have noted in other posts, about 1/3 of Europe's Crude Oil comes from Russia and more than 40% of its Natural Gas.

Germany can start spending the required 2% of GDP for "defensive purposes" to be the first major line of defense if Russia moves that far West and be in position to move into say Poland if Russia decided to move on it again. The USA does not need to have that amount of military assets that far East. NATO needs to be re-done. Negotiate it with Russia, no more NATO expansion east, Russia pulls its forces back from the border areas. Oil and Gas is the one commodity that Russia can sell for Cash$$$. They need to have access to wealthy Economic markets (G7 countries) just as much as those countries need the energy supplies. To be fair, who is more stable, Russia or these Middle East regimes (OPEC). I would rather deal with Russia than OPEC personally as I am old enough to remember OPEC's BS in the 1970's and I guess I have a long memory.

I'm not hopeful.
You sum up the core of Western Europe's political paradox very well. I don't see any noticeable change in European foreign policy; on the contrary, I see a continuation of the same naivety, whether intentional or not.

Angela: Your post is fair and accurate and you make good points and point out some important historical markers.

I am not for pulling all USA troops out of Europe, but why are they sitting on Russia's doorsteps and why has the USA and European NATO members continually since the end of the Cold War brought in NATO countries that sit on Russia's border? (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania etc) and now there are NATO foreign policy operatives in both DEM and REP that want to put Ukraine in NATO. For goodness sake, about 20% of Ukraine's population is ethnic Russian. When Russia was putting missiles in Cuba back in 1962, President JFK put up naval blockades of Cuba. There are plenty of Countries that the USA can keep forces in Europe but not on Russia's doorsteps, move them to the UK, Spain, France, Belgium, etc. to be in position to neutralize Russia if they ever do Move further West. You (Germany, and the rest of Western Europe) can't tell me that you want the USA to keep all those assets in Germany to neutralize Russia and at the same time Germany was the main European country that contracted with Putin for NORD2. As I have noted in other posts, about 1/3 of Europe's Crude Oil comes from Russia and more than 40% of its Natural Gas.

Germany can start spending the required 2% of GDP for "defensive purposes" to be the first major line of defense if Russia moves that far West and be in position to move into say Poland if Russia decided to move on it again. The USA does not need to have that amount of military assets that far East. NATO needs to be re-done. Negotiate it with Russia, no more NATO expansion east, Russia pulls its forces back from the border areas. Oil and Gas is the one commodity that Russia can sell for Cash$$$. They need to have access to wealthy Economic markets (G7 countries) just as much as those countries need the energy supplies. To be fair, who is more stable, Russia or these Middle East regimes (OPEC). I would rather deal with Russia than OPEC personally as I am old enough to remember OPEC's BS in the 1970's and I guess I have a long memory.

Well that's rather complicated Trapani. First of all it's one of the reasons why I'm pro nuclear energy. the dependance of Russia and OPEC is not a fine thought. I'm living one of Europe's oldest and biggest gas bells.....but the last few years we got terrible earthquakes from it, so end of story.
And to be honest the former chancellor of Germany Gerhard Schröder was the one who started with Nordstream 2, Putin and he are in a real bromance....Mind you in the inauguration of Putin (2018) there were three people who were 'granted' to get a handshake, the patriarch, the head of state and....Schröder....
https://www.rt.com/news/426020-puti...hCd2-aCl1gDSUnG8Gz8Tn9V_S1enJi-V3h8GlI1_3vcrs

But to be honest Germany has done, exactly what you advice:

NATO needs to be re-done. Negotiate it with Russia, no more NATO expansion east, Russia pulls its forces back from the border areas. Oil and Gas is the one commodity that Russia can sell for Cash$$$. They need to have access to wealthy Economic markets (G7 countries) just as much as those countries need the energy supplies. To be fair, who is more stable, Russia or these Middle East regimes (OPEC). I would rather deal with Russia than OPEC personally as I am old enough to remember OPEC's BS in the 1970's and I guess I have a long memory

"Wandel durch Handel" or "Change through trade" strategy with Russia, is exactly what Germany has done the last years. The crucial difference between OPEC and Russia is that OPEC is not going to set boots on the ground in Europe, is not interested in destabilizing 'liberal democracy' in Europe and US. So that 'stabile' must imo not lead to deals without seeing the long term consequences, because Nord stream 2 is such a deal....

And remember when Ukraine falls, Taiwan will fall too....so the authoritarian regimes will prevail then.

And be aware that regarding Germany your call is a big big turn. Because wasn't Germany supposed to be pacifistic? Spending high amounts of money to an army that is tight with their hands? If you want that Germany fills the gap in Eastern Europe that the US wants to leave you must accept boots of German soldiers in Eastern Europe. I don't how long you have left Europe but this would a big game changer in Europe unheard of since ww2. As you have a long memory, after ww2 wasn't it "no more war" (nie wieder Krieg?)!?

Last edited:

I'm no fan of spending the vast sums we spend defending Germany, certainly not after this pipeline stupidity. I just worry that pulling back into the west too far will embolden Russia and lead to an inevitable take over of continental Europe.

Well that's rather complicated Trapani. First of all it's one of the reasons why I'm pro nuclear energy. the dependance of Russia and OPEC is not a fine thought. I'm living one of Europe's oldest and biggest gas bells.....but the last few years we got terrible earthquakes from it, so end of story.
And to be honest the former chancellor of Germany Gerhard Schröder was the one who started with Nordstream 2, Putin and he are in a real bromance....Mind you in the inauguration of Putin (2018) there were three people who were 'granted' to get a handshake, the patriarch, the head of state and....Schröder....
https://www.rt.com/news/426020-puti...hCd2-aCl1gDSUnG8Gz8Tn9V_S1enJi-V3h8GlI1_3vcrs

But to be honest Germany has done, exactly what you advice:

"Wandel durch Handel" or "Change through trade" strategy with Russia, is exactly what Germany has done the last years. The crucial difference between OPEC and Russia is that OPEC is not going to set boots on the ground in Europe, is not interested in destabilizing 'liberal democracy' in Europe and US. So that 'stabile' must imo not lead to deals without seeing the long term consequences, because Nord stream 2 is such a deal....

And remember when Ukraine falls, Taiwan will fall too....so the authoritarian regimes will prevail then.

And be aware that regarding Germany your call is a big big turn. Because wasn't Germany supposed to be pacifistic? Spending high amounts of money to an army that is tight with their hands? If you want that Germany fills the gap in Eastern Europe that the US wants to leave you must accept boots of German soldiers in Eastern Europe. I don't how long you have left Europe but this would a big game changer in Europe unheard of since ww2. As you have a long memory, after ww2 wasn't it "no more war" (nie wieder Krieg?)!?

Yes, after WW2 that was the case. Japan had on it the same thing imposed. But geo-political realities change. Japan's army in the last 2 decades, given the ever rising threat of China is now one of the most modern well equipped in the world. China to me is the bigger threat. This notion of destabilizing democratically elected governments and countries just doesn't make sense. I just don't see Russia as the same threat as China and I certainly don't see why the USA should spend the amount of money on military hardware and station the amount of personnel in Germany that we do.

So Europe does not want Germany to project military power beyond its borders. Ok then, well the UK, France, are both modern militaries with capabilities to project that military capability well beyond their borders. The UK and France can put more forces in Germany then. Germany can at least provide the financing for those forces for as I said, they still do not spend the NATO required 2% on Defense. That does not have to spent on forming 5 Panzer Divisions (Armored in US Military terminology) but cover the cost of other European countries putting assets and personnel in Germany to deter Russia.

I mean I saw last week that the EU bureaucrats levied fines against Hungary and Poland because those 2 countries refuse to cave in to what here in the USA is the alphabet soup woke agenda. They particularly do not want to deal with the issue of Trans.... Now I am not that smart perhaps but I do know that Poland and Hungary both border Ukraine. I also know they both are NATO allies. So why is the EU Globalist imposing sanctions on Poland and Hungary because they do not want to bow down to wokeism and these 2 countries border Ukraine which there is a call for NATO to stand against Russia if they move on Ukraine. This is another example, along with the increasing dependency of Western Europe on Russia Crude Oil and Natural Gas, of the craziness of NATO and European politics, EU collectively, and individual countries as well, and Russia.

So in a roundabout way I agree with the German strategy to economically engage Russia. My issue with Germany is they don't pay their NATO dues and it is the USA that incurs those costs. Germany pretty much unilaterally works with Russia to develop NORD2 yet oh btw we are not going to pay the NATO required 2% of GDP for defense. I have long stated NATO needs to be re-designed. Russia is not going to cause problems with Western Europe as the 2 become more economically linked, in my view. But pushing for more NATO expansion further closer to Russia's border makes no sense to me.

Yes, after WW2 that was the case. Japan had on it the same thing imposed. But geo-political realities change. Japan's army in the last 2 decades, given the ever rising threat of China is now one of the most modern well equipped in the world. China to me is the bigger threat. This notion of destabilizing democratically elected governments and countries just doesn't make sense. I just don't see Russia as the same threat as China and I certainly don't see why the USA should spend the amount of money on military hardware and station the amount of personnel in Germany that we do.

So Europe does not want Germany to project military power beyond its borders. Ok then, well the UK, France, are both modern militaries with capabilities to project that military capability well beyond their borders. The UK and France can put more forces in Germany then. Germany can at least provide the financing for those forces for as I said, they still do not spend the NATO required 2% on Defense. That does not have to spent on forming 5 Panzer Divisions (Armored in US Military terminology) but cover the cost of other European countries putting assets and personnel in Germany to deter Russia.

I mean I saw last week that the EU bureaucrats levied fines against Hungary and Poland because those 2 countries refuse to cave in to what here in the USA is the alphabet soup woke agenda. They particularly do not want to deal with the issue of Trans.... Now I am not that smart perhaps but I do know that Poland and Hungary both border Ukraine. I also know they both are NATO allies. So why is the EU Globalist imposing sanctions on Poland and Hungary because they do not want to bow down to wokeism and these 2 countries border Ukraine which there is a call for NATO to stand against Russia if they move on Ukraine. This is another example, along with the increasing dependency of Western Europe on Russia Crude Oil and Natural Gas, of the craziness of NATO and European politics, EU collectively, and individual countries as well, and Russia.

So in a roundabout way I agree with the German strategy to economically engage Russia. My issue with Germany is they don't pay their NATO dues and it is the USA that incurs those costs. Germany pretty much unilaterally works with Russia to develop NORD2 yet oh btw we are not going to pay the NATO required 2% of GDP for defense. I have long stated NATO needs to be re-designed. Russia is not going to cause problems with Western Europe as the 2 become more economically linked, in my view. But pushing for more NATO expansion further closer to Russia's border makes no sense to me.

I'm strongly against that idea, the Russians are putting lots of efforts in destabilizing the West. Putin has brought up in the KGB. The commies are gone like the KGB but not their methods. Now they are in in authoritarian mode and are very anti liberal democracy (from red to brown):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Dugin

Authoritarianism has spread to the countries you mentioned, Hungary, Belarus, Poland is affected too. Even to a level that legacy of the Enlightenment and liberal democracy (separation of church and state is one of them) is at stake. Imo not an example of core European values.

Germany is a key player indeed. I have a kind of trust in Olaf Scholz like I had in Merkel (much differentiated from Gerhard Schröder who likes to play the big man, like Trump or Putin). I guess the democratic institutions are so entrenched in Germany that, as far as I am concerned, they can fulfill the role of European superpower very well. If the EU is to weak The German and France nations states must take the lead...

Northerner: I assume you are against a re-militarized Germany. So I can understand you perhaps want a Political and Economically engaged Germany with Russia, without the military build up. I can understand that point assuming that is what you meant.

As for Hungary and Poland, I have no issues with Hungary and Poland not bowing to the dictates of the EU on internal social policy and immigration policy. Poland and Hungary are not threats to their neighbors, they just want to be left alone and don't want their countries over run with the militant woke secular left ideology that has hit the US and many Western European countries. And I don't blame them. Turkey has been NATO for years and nobody has ever moved to kick them out because they don't follow the whims of the EU, which I know they are not part of. Yet you know who Turkey's largest trading partner is, the EU!

I mean do you really feel threatened by Poland and Hungary? They want to protect their borders and see the EU as a Economic union, not a Political one (which I agree with). Obviously the Europeans felt they were stable enough countries to include them both in NATO back in the 1990's. The UK has shown the Sun will not stop rising in the East and setting in the West once you leave the EU. Economic trade that is free and fair is a good thing and still is going to happen. Again as evidenced by Turkey's trade with the EU, a NATO member but not EU member. The UK is still the dominant European Power in NATO among the European Countries so in terms of NATO the UK is still the major player, France 2nd.

Take a look at the Supply Chains (land base ones) for Russian Oil and Gas. Look at Hungary and Poland. You really think the EU should be dictating to them what their social policies are. Italy, which is the country I care most about in Europe for several cultural reasons, family history ties to Sicily/Southern Italy and religious ties to Rome (I am a Catholic, although consider myself part of the loyal opposition to Bergoglio). If the EU sanctions Hungary and Poland, look at the supply lines from Hungary into Italy that Italy depends on as well as other European countries and how Poland impacts supply chains regarding Russian Oil and Gas. Does the EU sanctioning them make sense?

https://joequinn.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Russian-gas-pipelines.gif

Now I have to say, The Italian Government has strategically seen the ever growing dependency on Russia for Oil and Gas. It to was getting a large portion of its supplies from Russia. But Italy signed a deal with Qatar to increase its supply. Qatar is not perfect, but it seems to be among the most peaceful countries Arabia. This I assume will be sent to Egypt and then transferred maybe by ship to Southern Italian ports for Distribution to the rest of Italy and I guess to EU countries that Italy is on better terms with. Or maybe they have to distribute without any dictates to whom. But if Germany can negotiate directly with Russia For NORD2, good for Italy for negotiating its own supplies with someone other than Russia. Now I am aware that Italy, like Germany and your Home Country (Netherlands) are not meeting the 2% of GDP required by NATO but Italy is not negotiating Deals on their own like Germany did with NORD2. Poland btw is spending > 2% and Hungary, while not meeting the 2% is spending more than Germany, Netherlands and Italy. The UK, not surprised, spends >2% and surprisingly the French do as well. So as I said, the UK and France are the 2 European countries that should be doing the heavy lifting with troops and assets based in Germany. Germany being the major economy in Europe (4th largest in the world, behind USA, China and Japan) and provide the Economic and Political leadership.

https://decode39.com/2846/italy-eu-gas-russia/

Northerner: I assume you are against a re-militarized Germany. So I can understand you perhaps want a Political and Economically engaged Germany with Russia, without the military build up. I can understand that point assuming that is what you meant.

As for Hungary and Poland, I have no issues with Hungary and Poland not bowing to the dictates of the EU on internal social policy and immigration policy. Poland and Hungary are not threats to their neighbors, they just want to be left alone and don't want their countries over run with the militant woke secular left ideology that has hit the US and many Western European countries. And I don't blame them. Turkey has been NATO for years and nobody has ever moved to kick them out because they don't follow the whims of the EU, which I know they are not part of. Yet you know who Turkey's largest trading partner is, the EU!

I mean do you really feel threatened by Poland and Hungary? They want to protect their borders and see the EU as a Economic union, not a Political one (which I agree with). Obviously the Europeans felt they were stable enough countries to include them both in NATO back in the 1990's. The UK has shown the Sun will not stop rising in the East and setting in the West once you leave the EU. Economic trade that is free and fair is a good thing and still is going to happen. Again as evidenced by Turkey's trade with the EU, a NATO member but not EU member. The UK is still the dominant European Power in NATO among the European Countries so in terms of NATO the UK is still the major player, France 2nd.

Take a look at the Supply Chains (land base ones) for Russian Oil and Gas. Look at Hungary and Poland. You really think the EU should be dictating to them what their social policies are. Italy, which is the country I care most about in Europe for several cultural reasons, family history ties to Sicily/Southern Italy and religious ties to Rome (I am a Catholic, although consider myself part of the loyal opposition to Bergoglio). If the EU sanctions Hungary and Poland, look at the supply lines from Hungary into Italy that Italy depends on as well as other European countries and how Poland impacts supply chains regarding Russian Oil and Gas. Does the EU sanctioning them make sense?

https://joequinn.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Russian-gas-pipelines.gif

Now I have to say, The Italian Government has strategically seen the ever growing dependency on Russia for Oil and Gas. It to was getting a large portion of its supplies from Russia. But Italy signed a deal with Qatar to increase its supply. Qatar is not perfect, but it seems to be among the most peaceful countries Arabia. This I assume will be sent to Egypt and then transferred maybe by ship to Southern Italian ports for Distribution to the rest of Italy and I guess to EU countries that Italy is on better terms with. Or maybe they have to distribute without any dictates to whom. But if Germany can negotiate directly with Russia For NORD2, good for Italy for negotiating its own supplies with someone other than Russia. Now I am aware that Italy, like Germany and your Home Country (Netherlands) are not meeting the 2% of GDP required by NATO but Italy is not negotiating Deals on their own like Germany did with NORD2. Poland btw is spending > 2% and Hungary, while not meeting the 2% is spending more than Germany, Netherlands and Italy. The UK, not surprised, spends >2% and surprisingly the French do as well. So as I said, the UK and France are the 2 European countries that should be doing the heavy lifting with troops and assets based in Germany. Germany being the major economy in Europe (4th largest in the world, behind USA, China and Japan) and provide the Economic and Political leadership.

https://decode39.com/2846/italy-eu-gas-russia/

Better a militarized democratic Germany. Asking Germany to put the wallet on the table and for the rest keep quit, and must accept extra military from France and the UK....this is 2022 not 1812 or 1918 or 1945.....

I don't feel threatened by Hungary or Poland or Bellarus but I see there a kind of upheaval of authoritarian thoughts, anti-political liberalism. In Poland independent rule of law is at stake. That's imo fundamental for European values. When the nation state wants to make other choices that's possible but then outside the EU imo. Hungary likewise one big corruption no checks and balances.

https://reconnect-europe.eu/blog/no-checks-no-balances-bard-pech/

That's the crucial point, and is in the future at stake how fare do we let Putin go with his authoritarian agenda, and destabilization campagnes towards the west? Or of no interest and we keep our eyes shot as long as they deliver gas and oil! Schröder(y)

Better a militarized democratic Germany. Asking Germany to put the wallet on the table and for the rest keep quit, and must accept extra military from France and the UK....this is 2022 not 1812 or 1918 or 1945.....

I don't feel threatened by Hungary or Poland or Bellarus but I see there a kind of upheaval of authoritarian thoughts, anti-political liberalism. In Poland independent rule of law is at stake. That's imo fundamental for European values. When the nation state wants to make other choices that's possible but then outside the EU imo. Hungary likewise one big corruption no checks and balances.

https://reconnect-europe.eu/blog/no-checks-no-balances-bard-pech/

That's the crucial point, and is in the future at stake how fare do we let Putin go with his authoritarian agenda, and destabilization campagnes towards the west? Or of no interest and we keep our eyes shot as long as they deliver gas and oil! Schröder(y)

Ok, then if that is the case, then Germany needs to spend 2% of GDP on defense and the USA can downsize its forces there. Move them further West. As for the USA, we still have about 70K personnel stationed in Europe and about half of those are in Germany. Germany negotiates the NORD2 with Russia pretty much unilaterally and as I have said numerous times, spends about 1.5% of GDP on defense, well below the 2%. It is the 4th largest Economy in the world (largest in Europe). I never said Germany should keep quite, I thought you were concerned about a re-militarized Germany. Germany's role in Europe as the leading Economy can be just that, deal with Russia politically and economically. So is it that much different to have 35K US forces in Germany vs. those forces coming from Germany themselves along with other European Countries. So rather than UK and France, what about Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Austria, Belgium etc having forces there. The UK and France can help foot the bill if Russia is viewed as being a threat that much.

As for the EU, if I were Poland or Hungary I would get out of the EU. Turkey is in NATO, but not an EU country, yet as I stated the EU is its largest trading partner. The UK left the EU and is doing just fine. As for the Oil and Gas, that is a decision the EU made. It seems you have 2 choices, over rely on OPEC, then that gets you tied to the Middle East more than I think you want to or Russia. So the EU decided to rely on Russia for Oil and Gas and yet NATO kept moving closer to its border. Just look at a map of Russian supply chains for Oil and Gas and see how Ukraine fits in this. Does it make sense for Ukraine to be in NATO? You think Russia is going to allow that without push back. As for Putin there are ways to deal with him without War. Italy to their credit already figured it out, they are finding other sources for Natural Gas than Russia. Sort of like a hedge, get some from Qatar and some from Russia, don't become overly dependent on either 1 but buy enough that both see you as a strategic customer. Italy has tons of Ports that have been calibrated to receive LNG and the USA is now becoming another major supplier to Italy. As I noted, Western Europe is to dependent on Russia for Oil and Gas. Now I think it is good that Europe trades with Russia, that is one way to engage them but you need to have other sources otherwise Putin is going to have you all by the barrel pardon the pun.

So I have to give the Italian governments some credit, they have figured it out that you can't rely on the EU. Covid-19 supply chains taught them that and they have decided to use their port system to start getting natural gas from other sources besides Russia, USA and Qatar being 2 examples. So it seems Italy at least is one its way to not being tied to Russia for Oil and Gas. Good for them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...top-liquified-natural-gas-exporter/ar-AASAMna

https://gulfnews.com/uae/qatar-signs-long-term-lng-deal-with-edison-of-italy-1.419702

Ok, then if that is the case, then Germany needs to spend 2% of GDP on defense and the USA can downsize its forces there. Move them further West. As for the USA, we still have about 70K personnel stationed in Europe and about half of those are in Germany. Germany negotiates the NORD2 with Russia pretty much unilaterally and as I have said numerous times, spends about 1.5% of GDP on defense, well below the 2%. It is the 4th largest Economy in the world (largest in Europe). I never said Germany should keep quite, I thought you were concerned about a re-militarized Germany. Germany's role in Europe as the leading Economy can be just that, deal with Russia politically and economically. So is it that much different to have 35K US forces in Germany vs. those forces coming from Germany themselves along with other European Countries. So rather than UK and France, what about Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Austria, Belgium etc having forces there. The UK and France can help foot the bill if Russia is viewed as being a threat that much.

As for the EU, if I were Poland or Hungary I would get out of the EU. Turkey is in NATO, but not an EU country, yet as I stated the EU is its largest trading partner. The UK left the EU and is doing just fine. As for the Oil and Gas, that is a decision the EU made. It seems you have 2 choices, over rely on OPEC, then that gets you tied to the Middle East more than I think you want to or Russia. So the EU decided to rely on Russia for Oil and Gas and yet NATO kept moving closer to its border. Just look at a map of Russian supply chains for Oil and Gas and see how Ukraine fits in this. Does it make sense for Ukraine to be in NATO? You think Russia is going to allow that without push back. As for Putin there are ways to deal with him without War. Italy to their credit already figured it out, they are finding other sources for Natural Gas than Russia. Sort of like a hedge, get some from Qatar and some from Russia, don't become overly dependent on either 1 but buy enough that both see you as a strategic customer. Italy has tons of Ports that have been calibrated to receive LNG and the USA is now becoming another major supplier to Italy. As I noted, Western Europe is to dependent on Russia for Oil and Gas. Now I think it is good that Europe trades with Russia, that is one way to engage them but you need to have other sources otherwise Putin is going to have you all by the barrel pardon the pun.

So I have to give the Italian governments some credit, they have figured it out that you can't rely on the EU. Covid-19 supply chains taught them that and they have decided to use their port system to start getting natural gas from other sources besides Russia, USA and Qatar being 2 examples. So it seems Italy at least is one its way to not being tied to Russia for Oil and Gas. Good for them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...top-liquified-natural-gas-exporter/ar-AASAMna

https://gulfnews.com/uae/qatar-signs-long-term-lng-deal-with-edison-of-italy-1.419702

I see that you have taken distance from Europe.....and European affairs. Of course it's a novelty that Germany would fill the gap you like to make. And of course this has to do with history. But ok we are 75 years later and Germany has been a stabile democracy, even more stabile than the US in the last years.

You are only reasoning in gas and oil and supply.....my reasoning goes further. First of all if you think that Putin is an European affaire, you will be surprised Russia does muchmore than China to destabilize your country. So the European battlefield is yours. Secondly I'm a defender of liberal democracy, of independent law, the trias politica, free press etc. All sort of populist/ authoritarian movements want to smother that. That's for me the real struggle against Russia and China....not oil and gas.

This thread has been viewed 41202 times.

Back