Norwegian vikings and east-european admixture?

thanks for links and explanations (Zanipolo, Taranis)
Taranis: where do you place the contact zone for proto-germanic/proto-slavic ??? your position could imply the proto-germanic was very continental at first: or could it be a fated culture language (I think in Corded people) that was at the articulation of the two groups? maybe could you explain me how are proved the direction of loaning words in these cases? (some examples)
thank beforehand

My opinion is that the Proto-Slavs originally lived at the eastern edge of the forest zone (for me, the Milograd Culture is a good candidate for being speakers of very early Proto-Slavic). As I may have mentioned a couple of times, there is a substantial amount of Celtic loanwords into early Germanic: most of these must have entered before Grimm's Law occured. In contrast, all of the Germanic borrowings into Slavic occured after Grimm's Law happened. So, in my opinion contact didn't happen until late 1st century BC (contact with tribes such as the early Goths and Bastarnae?), but after that the contact could have spanned the entire time period until in the wake of the migration period (when Proto-Slavic began to break up).

(As for how the direction of borrowing is proved: this is a very good question indeed!
- the Germanic word for "beech" has cognates in Gaulish ("bāgos"), Latin ("fāgus") and Greek (φηγος, "phēgos"), which suggests that the ancestral root was *bhāgo-. Now the expected Slavic reflex of that would be *bag, which differs from the observed "buk", hence must have arrived in Slavic via Germanic mediation. In the same manner we'd expect *slem- rather than *ʃlem-)

A quick word on Y-Haplogroup R1a: it should be obvious that the presence of R1a in Europe vastly predates the ethnogenesis of both the Germanic and Slavic peoples.

My opinion is that the Proto-Slavs originally lived at the eastern edge of the forest zone (for me, the Milograd Culture is a good candidate for being speakers of very early Proto-Slavic). As I may have mentioned a couple of times, there is a substantial amount of Celtic loanwords into early Germanic: most of these must have entered before Grimm's Law occured. In contrast, all of the Germanic borrowings into Slavic occured after Grimm's Law happened. So, in my opinion contact didn't happen until late 1st century BC (contact with tribes such as the early Goths and Bastarnae?), but after that the contact could have spanned the entire time period until in the wake of the migration period (when Proto-Slavic began to break up).

(As for how the direction of borrowing is proved: this is a very good question indeed!
- the Germanic word for "beech" has cognates in Gaulish ("bāgos"), Latin ("fāgus") and Greek (φηγος, "phēgos"), which suggests that the ancestral root was *bhāgo-. Now the expected Slavic reflex of that would be *bag, which differs from the observed "buk", hence must have arrived in Slavic via Germanic mediation. In the same manner we'd expect *slem- rather than *ʃlem-)

A quick word on Y-Haplogroup R1a: it should be obvious that the presence of R1a in Europe vastly predates the ethnogenesis of both the Germanic and Slavic peoples.

thanks for quick and clear answer!
So the slavic speakers with germanic speakers (in their well evolved forms) 's contacts are recent enough -
are there not common words or roots that could show earlier contacts in the not achieved evolution of balto-slavic and germanic (a kind of "proto-" stage)? I 'am still thinking in Corded's culture here...
for Y-R1a I agree, no question - Corded people surely was Y-R1a dominant and some rare ancient forms of Y-R1a found today among celtic and germanic (# Corded 's one) countries could even have reached Western Europe before Corded or at the same time but by other ways (I believe the scandinavian R1a are for the most of Corded's times) - this kind of R1a became the future "germanic" R1a -

This thread has been viewed 33847 times.

Back