satemization : what causes?

And I could say that the Slavonic do not know the letter R that they replace by one P ;))

Ye, French, Americans, Danes, Germans... have weird pronunciation of R. It's interesting that you can hear regular R in some parts of Britain.

in French B has sound B but in Basque B has sound V safe if he begins word at the beginning but not always. Example: Basque or gascon is for French pronunciation of vashk vashko, vashkoin, wasgonde, �shkoin, eushka....
X in French pronunciation ' ks ' is, but in Basque X is pronounced with long ' Chh ' or ' Tch '. Example the Basque to ape Xabier Lete. sings ' Xalbadorren heriotzean '. Tchavier Lete sings ' Chalvadorren (El Salvador, sauviur) heriotzean

Martiko, if I may give you a well-meaning advise: if you are talking about specific sounds in a specific language, use the IPA symbols for them, that way we can avoid confusion. For example, the letter "x" does mean very different things in different languages. In Basque and the Iberian Romance languages "x" represents /ʃ/, while in German for example it generally represents /ks/ (which is also the original value), while when you talk about the IPA sound /x/ it is clear which sound is meant.

OPEL is it a bird, one known car manufacturer or a city?
According to the value of used pictographic characters. And I could say that the Slavonic do not know the letter R that they replace by one P ;))
For russian P=R

Sorry, but you are wrong there. In the Cyrilic and Greek alphabets, the letter "r" has the shape Ρ/Р, while the letter "p" has the shape Π/П.

I thought of concerning Russian alphabet of uppercase letter: so OPEL (Ariul) it is the eagle and r=g

I thought of concerning Russian alphabet of uppercase letter: so OPEL (Ariul) it is the eagle and r=g

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. You're basing that on superficial similarity of the letter shapes, while in fact the letters have a very different origin: the Cyrilic alphabet is based off the Greek one:

ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩ

АБВГДЕЗИ--КЛМН-ОПРСТУФХ--

Further, Ж (zh) may be influenced by Ξ, but it represents a different sound, /ʒ/ or /ʐ/, while Ξ represents /ks/. Additionally, Й /j/ is a modified Η (Eta). Also note how Greek Β (Beta) gave two letters in Cyrilic, Б /b/ and В /v/.

Two letters were borrowed from the Hebrew alphabet, Ц (צ) and Ш (ש), because the Slavic languages have the sounds they represent, /ts/ and /ʃ/, while Greek doesn't.

Last edited:
really I named the Russian language and not the Greek language; and it is true for ' Ts ' or ' b ' but ж sound 'j ' is always. Certainly likeness of ' g ' is partial but being enough for leading to error.

I'd say it' because English read Cyrillic S like K.
For example psycho, cat, macro, reconcile.

In some words they do read it as it is:
For example: Cyrillic, Macedonia, reconcile.

But that would imply that both scripts existed before the "schizm" so it's not possible :)

Interesting observation, but the Cyrillic alphabet dates from a much later period that the Centum/Satem split.

Interesting idea about Uralic and Satem.
One of rather late differences between Latvian and Lithuanian is believed to be caused by absorbing Livonian FU folk by Baltic proto-Latvian tribes after XIV century.
Namely g/k changed into dz/c before i/e.
Compare
Roka - Rociņa (hand - little hand)
Saku - sacīt (I say - to say)
Logs - lodziņš (window - little window)
Or Lith-Lat paralels:
Kiltis - Cilts (tribe)
Gyntaras - dzintars (amber).

This thread has been viewed 19361 times.

Back