Suicide

messenger said:
If anyone is still reading this, I just want to say;

It seems you were talking about religion before, and I want to point out that other than to take care of the people you love and who love you, there isn't a reason for living suggested.

That is why I believe that there must be more than the life we see here. Do you think we are just random blobs who just happened to gain intelligence? The one religion that stands out to me; Christianity. A God who loves the people he's created, and a reason for living and a hope for the future.

Thats it, I'm running away!! Hez trying to convert me!

the christian god kills his own people...

check it:

(according to the bible) god created all people, thus making everyone his people, right?

then when that one dude split the seas, god poured all the water right on top of the persuers, in effect killing not only a large chunk of his own people but also a whole heap of horses and stuff...

that's not very nice.. and that's just one example of many...

the christian god has deluded you all.. there are two options:

1) The contradictions in christianity proves that the whole concept is built on lies.
2) God has fooled you. in reality he is the evil one.

Well if you have doubts I'm definitely not forcing you to convert! Well, for me religion has a lot to do with it and I just wanted to say that...sorry if anyone was insulted.

Yeah, a lot of people wonder about that..the way God works, i mean...but I don't just believe in God for no reason you know! Can you tell me exactly how you think it is contrary, and I'll think about it?

Healthy people comitting suicide is just weak and selfish.

dark for tears said:
What do you think about suicide?

everyone's basically pointed out what i want to say. that suicide is selfish, idiotic, etcetcetc.

also, i think suicide totally degrades the beauty of life.

@Messenger: I can understand your christian existantialism, many people have the same view but you have to accept that some don't, existanyialism has different versions. Giving your life a meaning by following the path of God is fine but one can give a meaning to his life through achievements of all kinds, in my opinion the path of God is easiest because it's already there and has been taken many, many times, finding your own path or even creating a new one is a lot harder. Beside don't you think it's impossible to understand what God's intentions are, I mean someone who is so much beyound our comprehension, I don't even see how we dare try associate ourselves with Him/Her/It and why we make ourselves into sheeps for him, personnaly I just ignore Him/Her/It.

Concerning suicide, I'd rather not talk about it, I would be too likely to break the rules.

I don't get how anyone would want to end their lives. You cease to exist when you die! Horrible...

it's not that you just decide to do it...there are other factors playing, like the persons emotions,mental state...etc. To say they're selfish,idiotic isn't for you to decide...sure they will leave family behind...but not always does the person have the conciousness to realise that...therefor you can't just condemn people who are suicidal to be selfish,stupid...it's a mental decease and it can't be helped sometimes. :souka:

I know quite a few ppl that have been suicidal...I was once too...but I realized that suicide would just be a way of running away from your problems and it is not something I'd go through..I just thining of not experiencing my daily life and not seeing those I love anymore made me break down and cry..to think ppl would go through with such a horrible thing is truly painful to think about... :(

If you want to commit suicide then that's not alright with me. Your ending something very precious and rare. Your losing everything that was you, which is very sad. Commiting suicide is just take the cowards way out of a problem.

How can you be bothered by someone else's suicide? (which I infer from your statement that if anyone kills themselves, you have issues with it)... People are free to make their own decisions, nobody has a choice whether they're born or not, atleast give them the choice to die if they see that as the optimal solution. You aren't anybody but yourself, so you can't make other's decisions for them, so stop worrying about whether or not you could.

Life is unique in that sooner or later, everyone and everything created from each person's individual life ultimately dies. Don't agree? Think of the oldest historical figure you know. Think of how long ago they lived. Now think of how long humans have been on the planet. You're telling me that (whoever you have in mind) was the first person who did something to be remembered by? Doubtful. All throughout human history (more than a million years), people have died, and nobody remembers them. There aren't any graves for the vast majority of them. And anybody who was ever bothered by their deaths are long gone themselves. So my point is, why worry about anothers suicide, it shouldn't affect you, because it the long run it doesn't matter how any one person dies. We all do.

Ob it doesn't affect me at all when they kill themselves. Maybe it makes me sad to know that a person who was special killed himself for various reasons.

The AnteLyfe said:
So my point is, why worry about anothers suicide, it shouldn't affect you, because it the long run it doesn't matter how any one person dies. We all do.

While people can have the choice to die, others should be allowed the same freedom you preach, and choose to worry about those who die, without ridicule.

I see suicide as such a damn waste. If suicide is used as a ticket out of a bucket load of problems, then thats the bottom of the low. Its such a selfish way to take the easy way out of all of your problems. Like others here, ive thought of suicide to get out of many painful problems i am facing in life right now, but i realised that it doesn't accomplish ONE DAMN THING. All of your problems are still there, except you are dead, and you can never fix them. Basically you gave into your problems, and you just gave up, threw in the towel without making a stand. I see problems now as challenges, even if they are hard or impossible challenges to overcome. Sure it might be impossible to fix all of the problems in your life, but just giving up and letting them get a hold of you without a fight is only hurting yourself more, even more than facing them.

I guess it helps to have this mindset if you aren't religous like me, becuase I could see how very religous people could use suicide as a way out of their problems. Many religious people believe that there is life after death, so they use suicide as a way to get out of their terrible lives and into a life of possibly something better. As for me, I see just black, dark, nothingness after death, and a horrible life is definatley better than nothing at all, at least for me. I actually sometimes believe in god and sometimes I don't, and sometimes I believe that something exists after death, and sometimes I don't. My views change depending on however I feel, like life itself, always changing. It makes me feel alive to not be stuck in one mindset :)

And just to finish it off in a cheezy way... ill add in a quote by Vash the Stampede from Trigun, in which he says "Suicide? I dissaprove of suicide more than anything."

That is a quote that I agree with 100%, and that is a part of me that doesn't change.

EDIT: interesting fact to people who have been saying "accept it, everything will eventually die." That might not be true for long. Many genes have been recently identified as genes that allow people to age, and with ever-growing technology, one day (maybe soon?) we will be able to stop the aging process for good. Recent geneic engineering tests on flies have allowed them to live over 5x longer than their usual life span for example. For proof, look at this article, which was printed in 2000. The results have improved since then. http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/12/15/live.long.ap/

Also, not only that...what about cybernetic parts, or replacement organs? With the advencement of technology, we will one day soon be able to define what a "spirit" or "consiousness" is. If you create an identicical body to your own, the only difference being that the other body isn't alive, as in doesn't have a consiouess, will it be possible to transfer yourself to the identical body? or even another (replacement) body entirely? Only time will tell.

Ghost in the Shell anyone?

zeroyon said:
I see suicide as such a damn waste. If suicide is used as a ticket out of a bucket load of problems, then thats the bottom of the low. Its such a selfish way to take the easy way out of all of your problems. Like others here, ive thought of suicide to get out of many painful problems i am facing in life right now, but i realised that it doesn't accomplish ONE DAMN THING. All of your problems are still there, except you are dead, and you can never fix them. Basically you gave into your problems, and you just gave up, threw in the towel without making a stand. I see problems now as challenges, even if they are hard or impossible challenges to overcome. Sure it might be impossible to fix all of the problems in your life, but just giving up and letting them get a hold of you without a fight is only hurting yourself more, even more than facing them.

Before you say "easy way out", load a gun, put it to your temple, and stop to think about your problems, friends, and everything that connects you to this world. Now see if you still have the strength to pull the trigger.

I don't condone suicide, but those who commit the act are a lot stronger, dedicated, and clear minded than you think. I have a hard time punching my arm hard enough to make it hurt. Shooting myself? Shyeah, right. They may have made a choice disliked by the masses, but that's what life is. Choices.

To me sucicide is nothing but a cowardly way out, and I feel it impacts not only the person that's taking their life, but the surrounding group of family and friends that have to suffer more. Especially if they are leaving kids behind, that is one of the worst possible fates that you could cast on any kid growing up. The most ludicrous reason for suicide that I have ever heard of was that they didn't have the means to pay off debt, say for instance their kid's college tuition, or other bills. I can't not fathom the concept of that it is more honorable to take your own life over becoming homeless or povetry strickened.

I think that Christianity and other religions have a big influence over the concept of suicide. I know as a kid growing up, I was told that suicide was one of the worst acts that you could ever commit (the equivalent to murder). Since Japan has a 1% Christian population, obviously the value systems are different, and they are likely to have a different point of view. I guess, "Honor" is in the eye of the beholder. If you look at suicide bombers, they think they are sacrificing themselves for Allah's sake and the greater good. As someone mentioned, religious cults who think by through this method of suicide they will have their passage to heaven. The code of the Samaurai, where if they happen to lose face or disgrace themselves, then the only way out is through suicide. There are people who are bullied, or feel like they have no reason to live, and so some take matters into their own hands.

I can understand these different point of views, but I can't bring myself to condone these practices. Life is one of the most precious things around, and we don't have that long of a period to be roaming this earth. Therefore, we should make the most out of the time we have instead of even thinking about stopping the clock. That's how I feel anyways....

I'll approach this in a libertarian, apathetic, but honest way:

As long as you aren't infringing upon the rights and civil liberties of others, I see no problem. If a particular situation involved a friend or family member, would I care? Of course, I've been there before. Thankfully, my friend wisened up.

If you want to kill yourself, go ahead. I'm not going to lie for the sake of appearing moral.

Suicide is easy, life is hard. But the struggle is what makes living worthwhile. I for one have ZERO tolerance for people who foolishly throw away the most precious gift they will evver have----life. Like most people, I've lost loved ones, but never once considered ending my life because of those circumstances. That just plain makes no sense.

Another aspect is that I'm too damn stubborn to go quietly into the good night. I want to enjoy every single day on this rock, be it good days or bad. Sure, I've been down, but I refuse to succumb to depression or misery. No sir! That's not the way I choose to live! Suicide may end the problems of the person who commits it, but it only leaves behind anguish for everyone around that person.

In short, I plan on living long enough to be a pain in the ass to the entire world, and have a great time doing so!

This thread has been viewed 58036 times.

Back