Suicide

I used to think it was mainly for the weak and selfish.
Then I began to experience how dramatically painful and messed up life can become.
I still kind of think sometimes it is an option taken by people who are either weak, selfish or impulsive.
But I can also recognize how sometimes existence can grind a person down to nothingness and eventually reach such a desperate state that you begin to search for any way to perhaps elevate the symptoms of such an empty and painful existence that your brain begins to subversively trick you into thinking suicide is a good and rational idea as slowly it begins to seem like the only sensible option left.

There are also genetic predispositions to depression that can lead to suicide that can be triggered by life events. There's a difference between situational depression and clinical depression.

People who have persistent suicidal thoughts should see a psychiatrist. In the past, people just suffered in died for a lot of things. Today, there are options.

Funny, I'm a 3rd year psychology student and I had symptoms of aspergers & ocd all my life, if left untreated can lead to major depression and eventually thought of suicide.

One of the main reasons for suicide is when people experience uncontrollable thoughts of self hate and remember (evaluate) every single mistake they made in the past. (Or maybe people experience depression in a different way) but as someone with ocd negative compulsive thoughts and behaviors are one of the main factors leading to suicide. But yes it can be treated.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Eupedia Forum mobile app

I look at it like a personal choice like any other. I don't think people should be encouraged to do it but I have understanding for them. If being alive is more miserable than being dead for some people nobody has the right to tell them they should keep being miserable. And I'm talking about the individuals who really can't find any solution for it, no matter what they try life isn't enjoyable. Well what's the point of living if it's only misery?
Now people with that kind of situation if they're a parent and have kids it's your responsibility to take care of them whether you wanna live or not. Or if you have parents or anybody who really depends on you. For those people suicide is pretty selfish. But if no one is really gonna miss you, it's a legit personal choice in my opinion. Just like abortion.

I look at it like a personal choice like any other. I don't think people should be encouraged to do it but I have understanding for them. If being alive is more miserable than being dead for some people nobody has the right to tell them they should keep being miserable. And I'm talking about the individuals who really can't find any solution for it, no matter what they try life isn't enjoyable. Well what's the point of living if it's only misery?
Now people with that kind of situation if they're a parent and have kids it's your responsibility to take care of them whether you wanna live or not. Or if you have parents or anybody who really depends on you. For those people suicide is pretty selfish. But if no one is really gonna miss you, it's a legit personal choice in my opinion. Just like abortion.

Inability to naturally get high in response to certain events that most find rewarding such as graduation, winning first prize, eating candy (lol) is mental prison. By prison, I don't mean a luxury Swedish resort prison with golf courses, massages, bingo, and horse riding.

For people who are severely depressed, the best treatment is medication and exercise. Medication is a must, the people who condemn drugs don't know the difference between drug use and abuse. I don't condone the latter. I've been down that path, and if I could go back I would choose not to. Drugs should be used under the supervision of a dr who cares more for the patient than the half million dollar salary. Using to become functional in today's society should not be frowned upon.

Inability to naturally get high in response to certain events that most find rewarding such as graduation, winning first prize, eating candy (lol) is mental prison. By prison, I don't mean a luxury Swedish resort prison with golf courses, massages, bingo, and horse riding.

For people who are severely depressed, the best treatment is medication and exercise. Medication is a must, the people who condemn drugs don't know the difference between drug use and abuse. I don't condone the latter. I've been down that path, and if I could go back I would choose not to. Drugs should be used under the supervision of a dr who cares more for the patient than the half million dollar salary. Using to become functional in today's society should not be frowned upon.

Not at all but the drugs don't work for everybody.

I used to think it was mainly for the weak and selfish.
Then I began to experience how dramatically painful and messed up life can become.
I still kind of think sometimes it is an option taken by people who are either weak, selfish or impulsive.
But I can also recognize how sometimes existence can grind a person down to nothingness and eventually reach such a desperate state that you begin to search for any way to perhaps elevate the symptoms of such an empty and painful existence that your brain begins to subversively trick you into thinking suicide is a good and rational idea as slowly it begins to seem like the only sensible option left.

I think it has to do with being unable to imagine that life can ever become better.
If you feel your life is over, it should be over. Your life as you know it that is. Meaning a major change is necessary. When you feel you are not living YOUR life, it is time to do so. Many have turned their lives around in times of such depressions and real success followed. Others decided to walk out on life. Those can be either: Turning points or the ends.

Have a dear friend with chronic pain. she brings it up quite often.

For those feeling concerned by this topic, how could anyone envisage suicide after reading about what the near future has in stock for us? Everything becomes possible, whatever is afflicting you. Depression itself will be entirely curable thanks to gene therapy and new smart drugs. Any other neurological, physical or health condition will also be curable by gene therapy or stem cell therapy. In 10 to 20 years it should be possible to fix anything that needs fixing in one's body (or mind). That may seem like a long time, but treatments for many conditions will see tremendous progress before that, within just a few years. Just check the news. New things are being developed all the time!

I am convinced, like Peter Diamandis, that we are approaching a new society of abundance. All the new technologies can only turn informed people in what Matt Ridley calls a Rational Optimist.

I support Eugenics and family planning. I think we don't need another one billions of people when a quarter of them will die in wars and hunger or end up in some Giblaltar refugee camp and threatened like a slave. We would get way better off with 500 millions of people who receive good education and only have a license to give birth if he/she has a mental capacity to raise a kid with responsibility and love. We don't need sociopaths who will ruin our lives and take advantage of generous, good hearted people.
We seen reach a stage of a New World of view where a different kind of way on human lives and capabilities will be held. It's certainly healthy for every living mammals to reproduce the numbers of human population.

This thread has been viewed 58058 times.

Back