Things that make the US different from other developed countries

If I'm reading you correctly, you would be in favor of this kind of arrangement. Likewise for guns. We need not ban them, but need much better education and need laws that treat the offenders and not the guns themselves (?).

Yes, exactly. Deal with the troublemakers directly rather than restricting peoples' rights.

Of course I understand the logic of people who want to ban guns. No guns, no gun deaths, right? But I don't think those people have thought the whole issue through.

What do you think of this idea, then: first drinking and driving offense results in a minimum 5,000 $ fine. Second results in suspension of liscence.

Don't we already have pretty stiff drunk driving laws? It's a very serious offense these days. At least it is in my state.

I don't see how how having the ability to bear arms is a right. That's crazy. Only people like law enforcement officers should carry guns. I mean for god's sake, even the Japanese took away the right to have swords from the samurai, and that was a very long tradition, not some 200 year established right. Bearing arms now in the US doesn't resemble what the law was made for, that is to prevent the british from coming to your house. Now there are enough nukes so no one comes to invade America.

CC1 said:
Uh, I would think that the second time is already too late! If they got off with a $5,000 fine the first time, and the second time they have an accident resulting in someone's death...not their own, how do you explain to the other family why that person was still driving if they had screwed up once already?? :?

I whole heartedly agree with you... but I guess I was trying to find a midway between 1 offense and you're off the road forever, and three strikes you're out.

There is part of me, however, that wants to say even the best of us make mistakes, and some people really are worthy of a second chance. I would assume the severity of the infraction would be weighed appropriately in court. *I guess that would mean I don't agree quite whole heartedly, but I still see your point.

The important point is that we stop treating the symptoms of social disease and target the causes.

Mdchachi said:
Don't we already have pretty stiff drunk driving laws? It's a very serious offense these days. At least it is in my state.

I'm not sure what it is in my state... but with more than 500k alcohol related traffic injuries per year, perhaps we could do to stiffen the laws a bit more.

Last edited:
chiquiliquis,
The reason I said what I did, is that oviously what we are doing is not working! If we adapted a "zero" tolerence outlook to drinking and driving, I believe that things would get better. I also believe that every car shipped from the factory should have a built in breathalyzer tied into the ignition....who would pay for this? The alcohol manufacturers of course! :p They make the alcohol with intent for people to consume it...they need to do their part to ensure the drinking and driving do not take place!
Another thing that would need to be done (in America) is that taxi's would have to offer lower rates to people who have been drinking, or deferred rate perhaps! Not sure if this part would work, but we do need to do something! :?

CC1 said:
Another thing that would need to be done (in America) is that taxi's would have to offer lower rates to people who have been drinking, or deferred rate perhaps!

How would you like to be the driver having to deal with a drunken, trouble-making fare?

My question for Canadians is : do you also use middle names and Jr. in the same way as Americans ?

I don't think this question was addressed yet, so from what I have seen, 1) While this mainly seems to happen in the US, even that seems pretty rare (I only personally know of one XXX YYY the Third; no Jr/Srs) and 2) if it happens in Canada, I've not had any personal experience with anyone identifying themselves as Jr/Sr/III etc, and regarding middle names, have only seen them used in the context of payrolls at work (e.g. to minimize name-related confusion). Actually, I work for a US-owned company and needed to give myself a middle initial for their records (so I used my husband's surname initial).

I have my own thoughts about alcohol consumption (underaged or otherwise), and I also have thoughts on the US vs. Canadian media (having lived in Canada for about 20 years and in the US for over 5)... but won't get into that at the moment.

I think America is different because its system is much more confused than those of other developed countries: it uses a 200 year old document as its constitution and politics is highly influenced by a 2000 year old book. In my opinion, opinions and beliefs of people living that long ago simply shouldn't be used to run the most powerful country in the world: too much has changed for them to be accurate.

Yes. Drink sensibly. Why is it such a major issue to ask of people to be responsible?

If you were the cab driver, how would you like to have to give discounts to drunks? I wouldn't even pick them up.

yeah you would.
drunks actually are a large customer base for taxi service, especially late at night in cites without much public transportation if any. one of my firends, who drives a cab, thats all he does is run back and forth from a bar all night. happy drunks are good tippers too, mostly becuase they dont realize how much money they are giving out but yeah.

so your whole answer is "drink sensibly" how would we go about that? besides, whats sensible to me is not same as whats sensible to you or the guy over there thats had 15 beers. at least offer some sort of solution instead of just bashing other peoples ideas. nothing wrong with asking people to be responsible for themselves, but some people just arent, and dont have enough will power to not get behind the wheel of their car when they know they're plastered.

but then again maybe if we, americans, taught children responsible drinking rather than NO drinking, they might know the difference when they're old enough to drive.

blessed said:
I think America is different because its system is much more confused than those of other developed countries: it uses a 200 year old document as its constitution and politics is highly influenced by a 2000 year old book. In my opinion, opinions and beliefs of people living that long ago simply shouldn't be used to run the most powerful country in the world: too much has changed for them to be accurate.

I'm not too sure about that.

The basic core of religions is the norm of what is thought of as decent morality. Dont steal, dont kill, consider others, stuff like that.

To base the ideology of a nation off the core essentials of tried, and tested faiths seems like a reasonable idea to me.

On the topic of drunks, I never understood getting drunk in a bar.

I've worked as a bartender for some time now, and it always puzzles me as to how many customers come for the purpose of getting drunk. Going to a pub, is s'posed to be an experience to unwind, and chew the fat with your fellow pubgoers. And its unspoken knowledge that if you are gonna have a few drinks, you are gonna be expected to be a tad more than a featherweight, and at the very least, have enough sense to know when enough is enough, and get your arse behind private doors to sleep the booze away, or enjoy another round with friends in a safe haven.

There are too many public nuisance laws *at least here in the city 'San Francisco'* to bother getting drunk at a pub. Plus, public drunks are great targets for pickpockets and muggers. Nobody seems to remember that when they decide to knock back a dozen shots of vodka, though.

Winter said:
I'm not too sure about that.

The basic core of religions is the norm of what is thought of as decent morality. Dont steal, dont kill, consider others, stuff like that.

To base the ideology of a nation off the core essentials of tried, and tested faiths seems like a reasonable idea to me.

Yes, i agree, many religions teach decency and morality, but if you look through history, these ideas have been misinterpreted far too many times by leaders, and so my opinion is that religion shouldn't be mixed with politics soleley on the fact that it is too personal a topic for some people to handle.

Well you have a point there, about not mixing faith and politics completely, and I agree.

But until a population of non-believers can nominate one of their own *non-faithful* dont ever expect a change. Besides, faith is a great tool that one can incorporate into govt to rule, control, and dominate subliminally, and publically.

I'd like to add regarding point 5) that it is the power and image of the police that really differientiate the US from other developed countries. While in many European countries , police officers are usually treated with contempt (saying things to the kids like "if you don't go to school, you'll become a garbage collector or a cop"). In the US, the FBI is much more prestigious and popular among the population (so much that some movies or tv series like "Lethal weapon", "the Cop of Beverly Hills" make their praise). The only EU country I can think of where cops have a (quite) good reputation is the UK (for their courtesy and politness when you ask them for directions :p ). In Japan, the police's reputation is ok, without making too muc fuss about it. It is actually more like in the UK.

> This was my first and the only one time, when I met Americans face to face, and I never in my life saw people so full in themselves and so arrogant.

Hahaha, whoever said this line of tripe must NEVER have been to France, or met any French people!

Ant

While in many European countries , police officers are usually treated with contempt (saying things to the kids like "if you don't go to school, you'll become a garbage collector or a cop").

Don't kid yourself. Cops still get flashed the occasional finger for doing nothing more than standing around, in Reno at least. It's less outright pride and more wary respect that we treat our police forces.

This thread has been viewed 5526 times.

Back