Viking Funeral Clothes Reveal Surprising Arabic Lettering

Pax Augusta

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Viking Funeral Clothes Reveal Surprising Arabic Lettering
Symbols for “Ali” and “Allah” were unearthed in Scandinavia—a historic first.

By Austa Somvichian-Clausen

PUBLISHED October 12, 2017

In a surprising find by Swedish researchers, Arabic characters were found woven into the burial costumes found from Viking boat graves, as well as the chamber grave clothing of central Viking Age sites, such as Birka. The garments were kept in storage for more than a century—dismissed as being typical Viking Age funeral clothing—until a new investigation yielded much more intriguing results.

“One exciting detail is the word ‘Allah’ depicted in mirror image,” says the textile archaeologist who made the breakthrough discovery, Annika Larsson of Uppsala University.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/10/viking-funeral-clothes-arabic-sweden-spd/

Not surprising at all to me. Vikings encountered Muslims, and they had trade deals too. Ahmed ibn Fadlan covered their encounter in his book.

Evidence pertaining to the Vikings converting to Islam includes a memoir recorded by the 16th century geographer from Muslim Civilisation, Amin Razi who is reported to have stated that:
...They [the Vikings] highly valued pork. Even those who had converted to Islam aspired to it and were very fond of pork."
Omar Mubaidin’s article states: "Vikings would make numerous raids against both Muslim and Christian states in the Iberian Peninsula. Eventually, a community of settled Vikings, who converted to Islam in southeast Seville, would be famous for supplying cheese to Cordoba and Seville.”
In Andrew Marr’s BBC Documentary, “History of the World: Into the Light”, Marr commented on how Vikings in Russia also came very close to converting to Islam with their king being unable to initially decide which of the world's religions would suit them best.
http://www.1001inventions.com/vikings

The Vikings in Russia nearly converted to Islam. The ones who settled in Spain during the time of the caliphate did actually convert. Perhaps there's some type of connection to the Vikings in Seville.

That's one weird way to write Allah ...

Similar to the Kufic script, here are the 99 names of god written in Kufic script, the word Allah is in the upper right corner

5a782da3ce84f2dea4d4559afcd393f0--names-of-god-crossstitch.jpg

My father loves this movie lol. I haven't seen it yet.

Oh dear, is it that old? I did a good job of dating myself. :) Tell your father I totally agree.

Of course, I'll basically watch anything starring Antonio Banderas, and unlike most women I like these kinds of movies.

Seriously, give it a try. (It's available for free on youtube.) I thought it was good. It's not like it's a chick flick or anything, so don't be scared. I'm not recommending "Silver Linings" to you, after all. :)

Just another proof that Islam was always integral part of Scandinavian culture.

@twojstary

No it isn't, Scandinavia was pagan then became christian.

Last edited:
It was a poorly made joke, generally hinting at what's going on with Sweden and their society right now. As far as I remember they also found rings with Arabic letters not so long ago.

Can you read? It says disputed, not debunked.
Vikings had encounter with Arabs. It could be anything. Name Allah could be associated with several other words; hence, the word has different meaning then.

Vikings had encounter with Arabs. It could be anything. Name Allah could be associated with several other words; hence, the word has different meaning then.
Of course, but what was debunked?

Look a bit further.
Are there any other traces of Islam among Vikings in Scandinavia?

This scene of Vikings LOL

No seriously people, it doesn't necessarily mean whoever wore these clothes was Muslim, maybe it was just fancy clothes from Mesopotamia and the dead guy liked it.

This scene of Vikings LOL

No seriously people, it doesn't necessarily mean whoever wore these clothes was Muslim, maybe it was just fancy clothes from Mesopotamia and the dead guy liked it.
Lol, good humor.
One would think, there is no reason to get defensive and insecure about few possibly arabic letters, that Vikings traded in or stole on their long trips. Let's enjoy scientific journey.

Indeed. Even if they brought back a few women or slaves, is that such a big deal? I don't get it. Would it sully their "whiteness" or something? Honestly, people, Swedes and Norwegians had ancient Near Eastern ancestry already. What's another few drops?

This thread has been viewed 15518 times.

Back