Your opinion of italians

On italian looks

• Total voters
well the albanians i have seen here, act as non-muslims.. for examples their womean are dressed like us, in an occidental way, they drink beer and eat pork too.. they are non religious

Are you sure these aren't the Christian Albanians? Albanias are ethnically and religiously divided.

If not, I suppose there might be some secular ones from there. That would be better.

Why? They have diseases or smth like that? Or are they gonna blow up themselves just for fun cause they are muslems? Or they're going to convert Italy to Islam or take over the Italian government in the next 100 years?

Something like that, yes.

You have no idea about Albanians at all. All you know is what bulls**t you've read on the internet and some stereotypical behaviors because they're muslems. If you'd come into Albania you wouldn't even be able to notice who's muslem and who's not.

If they are so hard to distinguish, why was has ethnic and religious strife been based on different identity there? History doesn't tend to lie about these things.

You're pretty much saying "I'm not racist. Racism is a crime and crime is for black people"

That's a funny quote. I actually laughed out loud.

If they are so hard to distinguish, why was has ethnic and religious strife been based on different identity there? History doesn't tend to lie about these things.

I can't follow you. Are you talking general or for Albania here?

Are you sure these aren't the Christian Albanians? Albanias are ethnically and religiously divided.

If not, I suppose there might be some secular ones from there. That would be better.

Really? Seriously? Albanians are religiously divided? It just shows how ignorant you are regarding this matter. I advise you don't comment any more on this matter cause you're only making your self ridiculous.

If it is smth Albanians are divided that is politics.

Although I try to avoid it, many times I fall to political issues, nationalistic Issues

Firtst of All who is Italy? what Area is Italy?

the term is after Greek Isalos Ισαλος, Italy stopes at North of Rome, Italian North is not Italy,
Until Garibaldi All historians Name Itally south and Central parts of the peninsula, Especially east Romans consider Venice Lombardia and Savoia wtc as non Italians,
So first you judge with modern criteria and not Historical
Modern Italy's North is divided in 2 major parts, the Germanic-Balcanic who mostly use venice as port, and Italo-Celtic who mainly use Genoa as port, Central Italy is mostly Italo-Celtic and south is a strange case,
Infact South Italy for me has more diversities and is more multicultural,
South Italy has not only Meditterenean culture from all the inner sea but also North European and some areas in south reminds me more North Europe population than North Italy , In palermo still you can find Normans and Scan from medieval times.

Besides a good question is how much ASIAN is the North? considering that the biggest migration in Italy were Greeks and !!!! ETruscans

in the case of ancient romans they called italy, our peninsula untill the Rubicone river http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubicon
, north of the Rubicon it wasn't considered italy, but Gallia Cisalpina.
The Rubicone toghether with the river Arno as said in the article, were the boundaries of italy in the north; central italy and two thirds of tuscany were considered italy (but in reality all Etruria untill the appennines was considered italy i think)

Really? Seriously? Albanians are religiously divided? It just shows how ignorant you are regarding this matter. I advise you don't comment any more on this matter cause you're only making your self ridiculous.

If it is smth Albanians are divided that is politics.

Yes, they are religiously divided. What are you? Dense? Albania is 70 percent Moslem, 30 percent Christian. That is what we call "divided". Maybe you need to learn about your country. Don't they have public schools in Albania? Are you not even aware of recent history?

Yes, they are religiously divided. What are you? Dense? Albania is 70 percent Moslem, 30 percent Christian. That is what we call "divided". Maybe you need to learn about your country. Don't they have public schools in Albania? Are you not even aware of recent history?

First don't try and teach me my country history cause no offence but you're as ignorant as it can get to my country history.

Second that figure shows how little you know about Albania. You just simply think that one is either Muslim or not. Where do the mixed families stand? Huh? And they are a LOT.

Third, by religiously divided I understand that you're implying that the country is divided into two fractions. Muslims and Christians, and that one part is 100% or close to that religiously muslim and the other is Christian, and that cities/neighborhoods are divided into muslim and christian.

Fourth, third is false. There is no such thing in Albania. Nobody cares what religion you are cause it simply doesn't matter.

Sixth, according to your definition of divided, every single country in this world is. And if everyone is, no one is.

Seventh, now go shove you're ignorant as hell ideas and believes wherever you find a place in that mind of yours.

Yetos said:
and Endri I have been and you know that are areas that even you, don't go with fear

Been where? What areas I wouldn't dare to go?

First don't try and teach me my country history cause no offence but you're as ignorant as it can get to my country history.

Second that figure shows how little you know about Albania. You just simply think that one is either Muslim or not. Where do the mixed families stand? Huh? And they are a LOT.

Okay? So what? There are some mixed families.

Third, by religiously divided I understand that you're implying that the country is divided into two fractions. Muslims and Christians, and that one part is 100% or close to that religiously muslim and the other is Christian, and that cities/neighborhoods are divided into muslim and christian.

Fourth, third is false. There is no such thing in Albania. Nobody cares what religion you are cause it simply doesn't matter.

I think that really is ignorant considering the region's turbulent history for the last 20 years. Communism left nothing but ethnic and religious divide in your country and its neighbours.

Sixth, according to your definition of divided, every single country in this world is. And if everyone is, no one is.

Nonsense. There are plenty of countries with very little religious divide. The US, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, Ireland, China (Taoism/Buddhism/Confucianism are essentially one religion in China and the Communist influence has waned), Japan, the Moslem states of the ME and Central Asia, et cetera.

Seventh, now go shove you're ignorant as hell ideas and believes wherever you find a place in that mind of yours.

I will put them right in the area you can give a big, fat, sloppy kiss to.

JFWR and Endri, if you can't discuss subject with mutual respect then don't. Further escalation of this exchange might lead to temporary bans.

I always liked Italian actresses e.g. the one in "Hercules" Sylva Koscina, "From Russia with Love" Daniela Bianchi, Gina Lollobrigida, Luciana Paluzziwho played the dark-haired female villain in another James Bond movie with that motorcycle.

Last edited:
I always liked Italian actresses e.g. the one in Hercules Sylva Koscina, From Russia with love forgot her name Bianchi (?), Gina Lollobrigida (?), dark-haired female villain in another James Bond movie with that motorcycle.

yep we have exported some great actors :)

Does Leonardo Di Caprio look Italian to you? I think he's 25 or 50% but he looks really Nordic.

I like Nicholas Cage (Coppolo) I enjoyed the Movie "They call me Trinity" with Bud Spencer and Terence Hill (Italian actors with English names), Danny DeVito, Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Marcello Mastroianni. I like Pizza too.

I wrote up a piece about Romans which I hope doesn't offend too many people:

The Romans have always fascinated me. I remember as a child visiting a friend and going through their Encyclopedia Brittannica and seeing the picture of a standing bronze wolf with two little human toddlers feeding from its teats. There was movie “Romulus and Remus”, the two twin infants and the legend was that the wolf suckled them and raised them. But wolves live in packs so it wouldn’t be realistic. ‘Wolf’ is in the Italian, or Latin slang, is a prostitute. Similarly “cougar” in the English language refers to an older woman seeking a younger male lover. So actually the twins were raised by a prostitute. In those times life was difficult especially for a woman. Women often lost their husbands and family through wars so this woman had to survive in whatever fashion she could and her motherly instinct led her to adopt these orphans whose parents were probably killed. Naturally Romulus and Remus were outcasts as this woman, their wet nurse and erstwhile mother, was of low status.

Rome was formed by a bunch of outcasts. They were all men with no real future but horny as hell. They were smart enough to build a community but no decent woman would marry these guys for sure. Probably in those times marriages were arranged as the daughters were married off to rich guys or upper class members of the community or neighbours. Roger Moore, the third James Bond after Sean Connery, early in his career starred in the movie “The Rape of the Sabine Women”. Roger played the part of Romulus. Romulus and his twin brother Remus fought over leadership of Rome. Romulus survived so we have the city of Rome instead of Remus. Hmm, Remussian Empire doesn’t quite have that ring to it.

As I mentioned, the outcast Romans were horny and the neighbouring Sabine had lots of women so they hatched up a scheme to steal those women. This is an indication that the Romans were originally steppe people as was the custom in the steppes tribes often raided other tribes to steal women. I think women died often in the harsh steppes in childbirths so there was always a shortage of women who thus became prized items. It was also a practice in the steppes for men to share a wife. In the Mahabharat, ‘maha’ means great and Bharat is the name of the founding Indian King. India is named after Bharat. “India” is a British invention. The Mughals called India Hindustan. Mahabharat is a grand epic of the Indian Kingdom. King Bharat’s grand children would fight over the kingdom. They were dived into two groups. The virtuous Pandavas, but rather stupid, group had five brothers who shared a wife against the cunning Kauravas group. Each camp got their allies and the whole of India, or Bharat, was divided into two great groups. Of interest, the mythical God Krishna was on the side of the Pandavas. Most likely Krishna was a real king but got deified over the years. They fought in the epic Kurukshetra War that decimated the Indian population by 40%. There was a depression after this war. This ‘brothers sharing of a wife’ is a steppe tradition so the Indian Aryans shows they were originally steppe people.

To get back to Rome, so one can easily see why Rome became a world power with such daring people. The scheme was to lure the Sabines in a phoney festival. Once the Sabines came to the festival they plied them with wine. Once they passed out they picked up the men and their wives and drove them back to their community. They captured and hid the younger women and raped them. Strangely the women did not go back to their own community. The enraged Sabines waged a war against the Romans and the stolen women backed the Romans. It shows women were romantic and loved men of daring and felt loved by the Romans as they would rather have a virile adventurer than be married off in an arranged marriage to an older person.

The Rape is supposed to have occurred in the early history of Rome, shortly after its founding by Romulus and his mostly male followers. Seeking wives in order to found families, the Romans negotiated unsuccessfully with the Sabines, who populated the area. Fearing the emergence of a rival society, the Sabines refused to allow their women to marry the Romans. Consequently, the Romans planned to abduct Sabine women. Romulus devised a festival of Neptune Equester and proclaimed the festival among Rome's neighbours. According to Livy, many people from Rome's neighbours attended, including folk from the Caeninenses, Crustumini, and Antemnates, and many of the Sabines. At the festival Romulus gave a signal, at which the Romans grabbed the Sabine women and fought off the Sabine men. The indignant abductees were soon implored by Romulus to accept Roman husbands.

Romulus pleaded with the abducted women:

Livy is clear that no sexual assault took place. On the contrary, Romulus offered them free choice and promised civic and property rights to women. According to Livy, Romulus spoke to them each in person, "and pointed out to them that it was all owing to the pride of their parents in denying the right of intermarriage to their neighbours. They would live in honourable wedlock, and share all their property and civil rights, and—dearest of all to human nature—would be the mothers of free men."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rape_of_the_Sabine_Women

This story, of course, is only a legend. The actual growth of Rome is less exotic and interesting. The city of Rome grew out of a number of settlements that existed around seven hills that were near the River Tiber. The settlements were near the river for the obvious reasons of a water supply. The Tiber was also narrow enough at this point to be bridged. However, the area also suffered because of the nearness of the river. Each settlement was separated from the other by marshland. Each individual settlement was vulnerable to attack as a single settlement. By joining together they were stronger. To join together, the marshland had to be drained. This was something that took years to do. The legend of Romulus and Remus gives the impression that Rome was created very quickly; the truth was very different.
The early people of Rome were from a tribe called Latins. They were from the Plains of Latium. The Latins were successful farmers and traders and they became rich and successful. Therefore, Rome from its early days was a rich city. This was to create jealousy and to bring the city of Rome into conflict with areas surrounding the city. In particular, the Romans fought against the Etruscans and the Samnites.
For this reason, the leaders of Rome invested in an army. This skilled force both protected the city and expanded its power. By 300 BC, the Romans controlled most of the Italian peninsula.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/romulus_and_remus.htm

It seems unlikely that any part of this legend is true. Almost certainly it is a copy of a Greek tale, invented to explain the name of Rome and certain customs. For instance Roman brides were taken from their families on their wedding days with a pretense of force, and this probably accounts for the story of the Sabine women.

UNRV History

Last edited:
I wonder why quite a few argentineans having italian backnames are generally lighter and less typically med looking than italians from italy (even northern italians alone), at least you can notice it by looking at their sport squats, the italian squads usually look very mediterranean or dinarized-med, but the argentinean one not so. Are those argentinenans mixed with other european groups?

At the same time quite a few of the italians from the US (Italian-americans) look almost arab/middle eastern.

About real Italians (the ones living in italy, not the diasporas) I've never noticed that much difference between northern and southern italians except that a few italians from south could pass for lebanese, israeli, etc and a few of the north could make it to pass for slovenians, etc but nothing more that that. Most italians (even the north ones) fit well in the southern european range.

I think most of the Italians in the US are of Sicilian descent thus the mafia.

I also enjoy Sergio Leone's western movies. He was a great director. Those Clint Eastwood spaghetti western were the reason he became a superstar.

300px-Map_of_Vedic_India.png

Bharat only consisted of the river areas of the Indus and the Ganges. Hindu means people of the river and not a religious term.

1- I supposed the industrial northern areas of Italy know nowaday a kind of internal immigration from poor southern Italy - for I know, northern Italians are a bit different from other Italians, being he most strickingly "southern" for external aspect the Sardinians -
2- often enough, the emigrants are not from everypart of a country but from the poorest regions so it is very unreliable to judge the whole country - Irishmen in USA was more from the West, Swedes was from Scanie (South), Poles from North and so on...
3- it is true, as if there would by some selection, the romance immigrants in South America seams often enough more "nordist" than the level means of their countries of origin, italy, Spain or Portugal -

facts are we are two, or more than two distints cultures.. southern italy isn't europe-like.. it's more mediterranean whil up to rome you feel more in europe..

facts are we are two, or more than two distints cultures.. southern italy isn't europe-like.. it's more mediterranean whil up to rome you feel more in europe..

Sorry to bug you with specifications but what's European and what's Mediterranean? Why this contrast? Rome doesn't feel like Helsinki or Paris and Palermo doesn't feel like Marakesh....

Sorry to bug you with specifications but what's European and what's Mediterranean? Why this contrast? Rome doesn't feel like Helsinki or Paris and Palermo doesn't feel like Marakesh....

behaviours.. modern occidental mentality.. not strictly correlated with climate.. i feel more related with a southern french, swiss, central european than with southern italians... also many southern italians who live in southern italy, don't appreciate our mentality... they see us more like the swiss too... thought the southern italians who live here, like other europeans immigrants, can if they want integrate well.

we may be more similar in phenotype with southern italians and other southern europeans, but our mentality it's like central european

This thread has been viewed 91012 times.

Back