The Albanian language

Status
Not open for further replies.
... The Germanic root form is *sprek hence....
The Proto Germanic *sprek is a reconstructed word (by German linguists), and phonetically it's done very well. Look that the Albanian root form of shpreh (express) is sprek too. The difference is that Albanian sprek (or s'prek for Endri's sake) is not a reconstructed word, it does still survive in Albanian!
If you look at this, there are cognates of this word in Latin ("spargere", "to scatter" and in Greek "ασπαραγος" (asparagus).
No, it does not function. The Proto German *sprek cognates with Albanian s'prek (do not touch), the meaning here is“to communicate by the distance, not by touching someone. No comment!
Why should the Germans borrow a word from Albanian if it's clear that a related word exists in other Germanic languages, and it's clear that it was shifted according to the second germanic sound shift in German?
It is borrowed by all Germanic languages. Anyway, when I say “borrowed from Albanian” I mean first of all Etruscan and Rhaetian, as well as Thracian and Dacian too.
What is true is that Albanian is isolated in the context of other modern Indo-European languages, in the way that there are no closely related living relatives.
You’re right. The closely related relatives of Albanian are dead, may be two thousands years ago (Etruscan, Thracian and Dacian). Although Albanian is a living language, linguists know almost nothing of it, do you expect them to reveal Etruscan?

The Proto Germanic *sprek is a reconstructed word (by German linguists), and phonetically it's done very well. Look that the Albanian root form of shpreh (express) is sprek too. The difference is that Albanian sprek (or s'prek for Endri's sake) is not a reconstructed word, it does still survive in Albanian!

No, it does not function. The Proto German *sprek cognates with Albanian s'prek (do not touch), the meaning here is“to communicate by the distance, not by touching someone”. No comment!

Indeed, no comment.

It is borrowed by all Germanic languages. Anyway, when I say “borrowed from Albanian” I mean first of all Etruscan and Rhaetian, as well as Thracian and Dacian too.

You’re right. The closely related relatives of Albanian are dead, may be two thousands years ago (Etruscan, Thracian and Dacian). Although Albanian is a living language, linguists know almost nothing of it, do you expect them to reveal Etruscan?

I'm tired of all your claims that Etruscan was related with Albanian when it is clearly, and obviously not. In fact, I have given you the perfect way to test it a very long time ago:

The Pyrgi Tablets are a bilingual inscription, with one text written in Phoenician, the other text is written in Etruscan. Since Phoenician is a Semitic language, very similar to Hebrew, we can read it with ease and are absolutely certain about the content. The Etruscan part of the inscription must have the same content, if not literally word by word, then at least by the general meaning.

So, unless you properly and with absolute scrutiny can come up with a translation of the Etruscan part of the Pyrgi Tablets into what you deem as "Albanian" and which has the same meaning (and not gibberish!) as the Phoenician parts of the Tablets, your claim about Etruscan has no basis what so ever. I wish you good luck with such an endeavour, because I am absolutely certain that it is impossible.

The alternative that you must argue is that the Phoenician tablet too is somehow completely "unreadable", and that all Semitologists in the world are absolutely wrong about the Phoenician language, and that indeed all linguists in the world are lying to us, and that there is a massive conspiracy in the academic world to cover this up. Which one is more likely?

I'm gonna make it pretty simple. S'prek is not a GOD DAMN WORD! You say "s'prek" while I say "nuk prek" . Can you tell me the difference from "s'prek" and "nuk prek"? You can't cause there is no god damn difference. The thing of "s'prek" is not of linguistic error but a damn GRAMMATICAL error. The negative /s'/ has nothing to do with linguistic for gods sake. It can be put in front of all verbs that show action.

Exp: dëgjoj-s'dëgjoj, lexoj-s'lexoj, këndoj-s'këndoj, kërcej-s'kërcej, luaj-s'luaj, hidhem-s'hidhem (see why s' is needed ??), gjuaj-s'gjuaj, bëj-s'bëj, shkoj-s'shkoj and prek-s'prek. Stop confusing PLS

Also i can't imagine how s'prek can be the root of shpreh. Can you enlighten me how the fak* we ended from s'prek to shpreh?

No, it does not function. The Proto German *sprek cognates with Albanian s'prek (do not touch), the meaning here is“to communicate by the distance, not by touching someone. No comment!

WTF! Could you use s'prek in the sentence to have the meaning of
"to communicate by the distance, not by touching someone"

cause no offense but you're re-writing grammar here...

Etruscan cannot be related to albanian cause:
1) Etruscan is not IE language (Tyrsenian language) while albanian is IE language
2) There are no documented mass migrations of our people to any place

You're basically re-writing, besides grammar, our language history too.

Responses in Bold-Italic

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Hal Fao
No, it does not function. The Proto German *sprek cognates with Albanian s'prek (do not touch), the meaning here is“to communicate by the distance, not by touching someone”. No comment!
Indeed, no comment.

Taranis, you're playing games!
I've expressed my idea for the reconstruction of Proto Germanic *sprek, which phonetically is well-reconstructed (to my opinion) but givin' to it the meaning "scatter" or "jerk" is a nonsense (although it's not too far from its real meaning "do not touch").
Sorry, but you're a partisan in linguistics, so your discussions would never be interesting (I know your answer before you post it).
Anyway, I'm asking you again: Do you think Albanian shprehem cognates with German sprechen?

OMG

1) S'prek not a WORD!
2) Shprehem (first person, singular, Present Tense Verb, Non active Voice Form of Demostrative Way) is the conjugated from of the verb Shpreh, thus not a word in itself, unless you're saying we borrowed the conjugated form of a verb from another language
3) Shpreh from latin expressa.

Expressa>xpres>spre>shpre(h) (since h is not very well pronounced and was added only on 1972 with the standardization of the language) (Also in italian the /x/ in expressa has became /s/ esprimere) also is not the first word borrowed from latin when the vocal /e/ in the beggining of the word gets lost. An example is Ecclesia-Kisha (church).

PS: Before the greeks or smo comes here and starts "OMG Ecclesia is a greek word!!!" I know and it meant smth like council in Athens but this word was borrowed from Romans and got the current meaning of Church and it came to albanian from the Latin not Greek. I'm not trying to find the root the Ecclesia here...

Taranis, you're playing games!

I'm not playing games. I stand to my statement regarding the Pyrgi Tablets.

I've expressed my idea for the reconstruction of Proto Germanic *sprek, which phonetically is well-reconstructed (to my opinion) but givin' to it the meaning "scatter" or "jerk" is a nonsense (although it's not too far from its real meaning "do not touch").

Note that that the Proto-Germanic stem is *sprek-. The actual word for "to speak" would be *sprekanan.

And well, I have told you what I have told you about Grimm's Law. You should be able to figure out what the pre-Proto-Germanic form is, and why the words I gave for Latin and Greek are cognates.

Sorry, but you're a partisan in linguistics, so your discussions would never be interesting (I know your answer before you post it).

Excuse me?

Anyway, I'm asking you again: Do you think Albanian shprehem cognates with German sprechen?

Albanian has the developments *s > *ʃ after *k, and *s > *h at intervocalic positions exist in Albanian.

The reconstructed ancestral form is hence something akin to *kspes-. Therefore I would agree with Endri that the ancestral form likely is expressere.

You're basically re-writing, besides grammar, our language history too.

To the point exactly!

Last edited:
I would like to know the possible root of these two words:

"Dhen"-"sheep" but more like a herd of sheeps not a single sheep and "vathë"-"sheep pen"

albanian member

Greetings, I just registered and will try to contribute to this discussion. I will always try to use the ë and ç letters as required by the language.

My observations of Albanian language is that the core language itself sounds very primitive. These are some patterns that I have observed.

Patterns/words that I consider Albanian or heavily modified by Albanian.

-mb - mbërthej, mbuloj,mbështes,mbyt,mpiks(mbiks?),mburr,mbrapa,mbas,mbush,mbroj,mbyll
translation fasten,cover,lay/lean,suffocate,clot,boast,behind,after,fill up,defend, shut

zg - zgërdhihem translation grin
ng - ngutem,ngas,ngre,ngrys,ngop,ngurroj,ngatërroj,(i/e ) ngratë,ngarkoj,ngërthej
translation hurry,drive/ride,raise/lift up,darken/scowl, satiate, hesitate, (to) mistake, unfortunate, load,clutch

other patterns

shk - shkërdhej,shkatërroj,shkruaj,shkrumb (contains both shk and mb in one, chances are its not a borrowed word),shkëndijë
translation - ****,destroy,write( from latin) - compare with kruaj(alb) - to scratch writing is scratching, ash/char/tiny ,bits,spark
për (same as Latin per) përfundoj,përplas,përshpejtoj,përshkruaj,përparoj,përmbaroj,përgënjeshtroj,përshkallëzoj,përkufizoj (there are dozens of verbs starting with për).
translation finish,crash,speed up, describe, (to) progress, enforce/execute, deny,step up, define

Albanian

I'm sorry to dismiss your hypothesis, but you're overlooking there however that the Greek language made a change here over time. In classical Greek, the letter Theta represented an aspirated dental plosive /tʰ/. It was only later that the Greek language shifted /tʰ/ to a dental fricative /θ/. In Albanian orthography, like in English, "th" represents an unvoiced dental fricative ( /θ/ ). If this was a borrowing from Classical Greek into (Proto-)Albanian, it would have been borrowed as "Teti".

I don't see how "Tokë" could be a cognate with "Terra", because I don't see how *k could be rendered as or shifted to *r (this is not found elsewhere in Albanian). "Terra" in turn derives from PIE *ters- ('dry'), which is also found for example in English "thirst".

In my opinion the Slavic word 'tok' is derived from PIE *tekw- which is for example also found in Greek "toxikon" (poison, hence English "toxic").

and in Albanian exist dhe word *terr- ters for (dry) or thirst in English

and in Albanian exist dhe word *terr- ters for (dry) or thirst in English

Um...actually the word you mean is "ter" (n) and doesn't exactly mean "dry" but as a word shows the action of putting the clothes to dry.

"terr" means "very dark" and "ters" is bad luck....

Well, I’m explaining the Albanian words terr (darkness, obscurity) and ter [dry (v)] as well as the way these words are wordformed in Albanian.
The wordroot of Albanian terr is err (“darken”, “obscure”).
Të err (or in Gheg dialect tu err) means “to darken”/“to obscure”. The Gheg tu err means also “darkening”, “obscuring”. The Albanian verb të err (or tu err) used to pronounce terr (as a verb), thus terr (as a noun).
The wordroot of Albanian ter /ter/ (“to air”, “to dry”) is er (erë) /erə/ that means “air”/“wind”. The real meaning of Albanian ter is “to expose smth on the air/wind in order to dry it”. Albanian ter (n&v) is the wordroot of Latin terra (“land”, “a dryed surface”).
It is wordformed in the same way as terr (darkness, obscurity).

Albanian ter (n&v) is the wordroot of Latin terra (“land”, “a dryed surface”).

No offense, but this does not make any sense. How can a word in Albanian (which is a modern language) be the source of a word in Latin (an ancient language). I know that you have foregone opinion that Albanian must be somehow an ancient language (which I have demonstrated that it isn't), and I also know that you have the opinion that the Albanian language was unchanged for 2000+ years. The latter is something which can not only be demostrated to be completely false (I've also, during the course of this thread, attempted to shed some light on what real ancient Albanian must have looked like, as well putting into the context of other Indo-European languages), but is also extremely unlikely in general if you consider that ALL languages change over time, and even languages which have comparatively little canges to them (such as Greek) are not immune to changes. Why should Albanian be exempted from rules that apply to every known language?

As Endri said, why are you trying to rewrite history? Why does everything have to revolve around (modern!) Albanian?

@ Taranis. I don’t know why you are so much inclined to reject all my ideas.
Here's what you think about the etymology of the Latin word "terra":
"Terra" in turn derives from PIE *ters- ('dry'), which is also found for example in English "thirst".
… and here is what I think about the etymology of the Latin word “terra”:
The wordroot of Albanian ter /ter/ (“to air”, “to dry”) is er (erë) /erə/ that means “air”/“wind”. The real meaning of Albanian ter is “to expose smth on the air/wind in order to dry it”. Albanian ter (n&v) is the wordroot of Latin terra (“land”, “a dryed surface”). It is wordformed in the same way as the Albanian word “terr”.
Here is the way that Albanian word terr is wordformed:
Të err (or in Gheg dialect tu err) means “to darken”/“to obscure”. The Gheg tu err means also “darkening”, “obscuring”. The Albanian verb të err (or tu err) used to pronounce terr (as a verb), thus terr (as a noun).
As you can see, we both think that the etymology of the Latin word "terra" is the word *ter/s (dry). The difference between us is that you consider it as a PIE word while I consider it as an Albanian one, wordformed according to the internal rules of the Albanian wordformation.
... but is also extremely unlikely in general if you consider that ALL languages change over time, and even languages which have comparatively little canges to them (such as Greek) are not immune to changes. Why should Albanian be exempted from rules that apply to every known language?
I did never express that Albanian has not changed, however, I assure you that its changes (especially the Gheg dialect) have been relatively small.
... why are you trying to rewrite history?
There is no history on my posts!
No offense, but ... .
Although "civilized" be the manner with which we express our aggression, basically it's the same one ..

Last edited:
Well, I’m explaining the Albanian words terr (darkness, obscurity) and ter [dry (v)] as well as the way these words are wordformed in Albanian.
The wordroot of Albanian ter /ter/ (“to air”, “to dry”) is er (erë) /erə/ that means “air”/“wind”. The real meaning of Albanian ter is “to expose smth on the air/wind in order to dry it”. Albanian ter (n&v) is the wordroot of Latin terra (“land”, “a dryed surface”).

I agree (from what i know about my language and lingustic) that the root of "terr" might be/is is "err" though I must disagree on "ter". On both the etymology to "erë" and that "ter" is the root for "terra".

-Why i disagree on the etymology of "er".
The word "erë-era" itself in it's first meaning doesn't mean wind but smell.
Exp: 1) It smells-Bie erë/Vjen erë/Mban erë/Ka erë
2) I smell- Ndjej erë ect
3) or just smell-erë
All this on the meaning of smell while for wind the most used word combination is "fryn erë" which from modern albanian is translated "windy" in it's first meaning i think it means "smell is 'moving' " since when the wind blows you can fell different smells in the air. This is the reason why i think that the first meaning of "erë" was smell and not wind.

An example i can bring that modern albanian words have change their meaning with time is from "Meshari" of Gjon Buzuku where in a paragraph he says:
Ndë vjetët 1554 njëzet dit ndë mars zuna nfill, e mbarova ndë vjetët 1555, ndë kallënduor 5 ditë. E se për fat në keshë kun mbë ndonjë vend fëjyem, u duo tuk të jetë fajtë, aj qi të jetë ma i ditëshim se u, ata faj e lus ta trajtojnë ndë e mirë...Përse nukë çuditem se në paça fëjyem, këjo tue klenë ma e para vepërë e fort e fështirë për të vepruom ndë gluhët tanë..

Which is translated into modern albanian as:
Ne vitin 1554 njëzet ditë të marsit e fillova dhe e mbarova në vitin 1555, në dhjetor 5 ditë. E në se, për fat, do të kem gabuar kund më ndonjë vend, unë dua, ku të jetë gabimi, ai që të jetë më i ditur se unë, atë gabim e lus ta ndreq. Sepse nuk çuditem në paça gabuar, duke qenë kjo vepër e parë e fort e vështirë për t'u punuar në gjuhën tonë

What i wanna notice among similarities and differences (who surprisingly are very few even though it is written in a different dialect) the word "fëjyem" ("fyej" in modern day albanian) which is interpreted as "gaboj" in modern language. "fyej" in modern day albanian mean insult while "gaboj" means "do/make a mistake" while in the albanian spoken ~500 years ago "fyej" meant "do/make a mistake". So this itself is an example of a word changing meaning in our language over time and a prove that our language has changed/evolved over time and not remained the same, though how much has changed is not what we're discussing here.

-Why I disagree that "Terra" is from "Ter".
--The main reason is not lingustic but simply logical. An "ancient" word cannot simple come from a modern word. Is like saying that WWI happened cause of the results of WWII.
--Other reason is that a language, no matter what language, what civilization spoke it or how advanced that civilization is or was does not remain unchanged given a period of time and circumstances. I mean, even the language we speak today, be it albanian, english, german or whatever it changes from the respective language spoken 50-60 years ago. Same words have different meanings now and then, new words have been formed and old ones lost. (Exp is "Meshari" again)
--Another reason is that even with the wildest imagination we even consider that "ter" is from "terra", "terra" is a latin word and latin is an italic language (if i'm not mistaken) so by saying that "terra" comes from "ter" you're either saying that (1) Albanian is an Italic language (which clearly isn't), (2) that latin is in the same language group as albanian (which again clearly isn't) or (3) that the Latin tribe somehow borrowed this word from ancient albanians before Rome conquered the "World" since "terra" is a latin word which "latins" (i refer to the tribe) used before Rome conquered the "world" and imposed Latin thus assimilating all the other languages.

-What i think is possible is (1) that "ter" may come from "terra" with it's first meaning "dry land" or just "dry" or "land" and then with time it might have changed meaning or (2) that "ter" is a native albanian word.

Ter as dry?

compare Greek Θερ-μανσις Θερ-ος dacian Ger-mi

Ter as Dry might be cognate with Heat -warm
Heat and warm makes clothes dry, and land Dry
also English Thirsty (so warm that needs to be cooling with water)
Greek word for summer is Θερος (wormy)
comparing with other simmilar like Ger as I wrote above, I believe that is older ancient world, which took its own meaning in modern languages

comparing with other simmilar like Ger as I wrote above, I believe that is older ancient world, which took its own meaning in modern languages
The Greek word Θερος cognates also with Albanian terës /terəs/ (dryer).

@ Taranis. I don’t know why you are so much inclined to reject all my ideas.

Let me say this, I do not reject these ideas because I have some personal animosity towards or something like that, far from it. The reasons for my rejection are otherwise: the first is that what you propose and believe is in gross violation of all linguistic methodology, as well as all the research into Indo-European languages that has been developed over the past 150 years. The second is that it requires (from my point of view) is that I find it presumptous and assuming to have "it all figured out" and to assume that everything turns and moves about the Albanian language.

There's also something else. It's called Occam's Razor. :giggle:

Here's what you think about the etymology of the Latin word "terra":

Yes, I've stated that the root is constructed as *ters-. This is also backed up by various cognates in other branches of IE.

- Celtic has "tír" in Irish, and "tir" in Welsh.
- Germanic has for example English "thirst" and German "Durst".
- Classical Greek "tersomai" ("to dry").
- Sanskrit has "tṛṣyati" ("to thirst").

Classical Greek, Latin and Sanskrit are all ancient languages, and although Irish/Welsh and English/German are modern languages respectively, in both cases they are descended from ancient languages (Proto-Celtic and Proto-Germanic), and one has to assume that the root word was already present in the ancestor language. Thus, what is more likely? That Celtic, Germanic, Greek, Indo-Iranic and Italic borrowed this root from a (modern) Albanian word, or that they are descended from a common PIE root?

… and here is what I think about the etymology of the Latin word “terra”:

Here is the way that Albanian word terr is wordformed:

As you can see, we both think that the etymology of the Latin word "terra" is the word *ter/s (dry). The difference between us is that you consider it as a PIE word while I consider it as an Albanian one, wordformed according to the internal rules of the Albanian wordformation.

Well, from the above, I can tell you that this is complete nonsense. As I said, why do you think that everything has to revolve around modern Albanian? Why and how can you be so presumptuous and assume that, what you perceive as internal word formation in Albanian was purportedly the basis of ancient words (mind you, I've shown you that the word has cognates in Celtic, Germanic, Greek and Indo-Iranic)?

I did never express that Albanian has not changed, however, I assure you that its changes (especially the Gheg dialect) have been relatively small.

Well, I've shown plenty of examples in this thread (especially the treatment of loanwords) that clearly show that Albanian has made substantial changes over the centuries, and it would be unreasonable to assume anything else. I mean, it's not just the vocabulary, but also the grammar. I've stated earlier in that compared to ancient Indo-European languages (notably Sanskrit), Albanian has a fairly simplified grammar.

There is no history on my posts!

Well then, how do you consider this statement:

In the above example you acknowledge on the one hand that Thracian and Dacian are close relatives of Albanian (which is also what mainstream linguistics think, but which indeed requires the Albanian language to have substantially changed, and I gave a good example of that, especially the fact that Albanian possesses a few native words alongside with Dacian loanwords). On the other hand you keep claiming that Etruscan and Raetian are related with Albanian, and from what you've shown me of your "translations", you're basically assuming that these ancient Etruscan inscriptions (which clearly represent a non-Indo-European language, and as I have stated, it's easily possible to verify the non-Indo-Europeanness of Etruscan due to the fact that bilingual inscriptions exist) are supposed to represent essentially modern Albanian, which is also only contradicting the above.

To get back to the example of the Latin word "terra", you essentially assume that the ancient Romans borrowed a word from modern Albanian (or vice versa, that virtually unchanged modern Albanian was spoken in ancient times by the Etruscan), which is, as I have stated, not only incredibly presumptous, but also completely unscientific.

Ter as dry?

compare Greek Θερ-μανσις Θερ-ος dacian Ger-mi

Ter as Dry might be cognate with Heat -warm
Heat and warm makes clothes dry, and land Dry
also English Thirsty (so warm that needs to be cooling with water)

Sorry, but that's not a cognate with "terra". You have to consider Greek sound laws. In general, Greek 'th' corresponds with PIE *dh (and likewise 'ph' and 'kh' correspond with PIE *bh and *gh), which means it cannot be a cognate with *t (which is also reflect as 't' into Greek from PIE), but there's other cases:

In the case of Greek "θερμης" (thermes), it is derived from the PIE root *gwher-, meaning "warm" or "hot". *gwh is reflected by the following rules into Greek: it becomes 'th' before PIE *i or *e, 'kh' before PIE *u and 'ph' in other cases. Thus, as seen above, *gwher- > *ther-.

The actual Greek cognate with "terra" is, as I have stated, "tersomai" (to dry).

The Greek word Θερος cognates also with Albanian terës /terəs/ (dryer).

The Albanian cognate of Greek theros/thermes is "zjarr" or "zjarrtë" ("zjarm" in Gheg).

Sorry, but that's not a cognate with "terra". You have to consider Greek sound laws. In general, Greek 'th' corresponds with PIE *dh (and likewise 'ph' and 'kh' correspond with PIE *bh and *gh), which means it cannot be a cognate with *t (which is also reflect as 't' into Greek from PIE), but there's other cases:

In the case of Greek "θερμης" (thermes), it is derived from the PIE root *gwher-, meaning "warm" or "hot". *gwh is reflected by the following rules into Greek: it becomes 'th' before PIE *i or *e, 'kh' before PIE *u and 'ph' in other cases. Thus, as seen above, *gwher- > *ther-.

The actual Greek cognate with "terra" is, as I have stated, "tersomai" (to dry).

The Albanian cognate of Greek theros/thermes is "zjarr" or "zjarrtë" ("zjarm" in Gheg).

Well I might agree with Therm and Germ and ter if you follow the laws,
But then the word Χερσος Chersos which in Hellenistic becomes Ξερα Xera-(os) how it cognates with Terra?

and how come Τερσομαι become διψω (change of voice) in Hellenistc
cause all Τερσομαι ανδ Τερπομαι and τερψομαι (τερψις) for me have same root with word θεραπευομαι θεραπεια
(not ιασις) that means then that θεραπεια means warming people?

… the first is that what you propose and believe is in gross violation of all linguistic methodology, as well as all the research into Indo-European languages that has been developed over the past 150 years.
Please, be sure that the only "violation" is that I have taken into account the Albanian too.
Specifically, some times ago we debated on the Albanian word "krye"(head), in Gheg dialect "kre" (head), def. "krea" (the head) and the correlation "krye" (head) - "kryej" (do consciously) - "krijoj"(create).
This correlation is unique in all IE languages​​, classical and modern (except the Sanskrit language which is found in the format "shirah" -"kri" - "srijati").
While the word "krea" (the head) is attested only in modern Albanian, its derivatives are found in classical Greek, in Latin, and in almost all modern European languages​​. When I say that the etymology of these derivatives is the word "krea" it does not mean that these derivatives are borrowed from modern Albanian. No, it’s borrowed from ancient one, i.e. from Etruscan, Illyrian, Thracian or Dacian. Even I’ve found out that Etruscan word for “head” is “cle” /kle/, def. “clea” /klea/ (compare with Gheg Albanian “cre”/”crea” = “head”/“the head”).
And it’s quite understandable.
On the other hand, the presence of such unique words in Albanian should be considered and studied seriously by linguists.
Classical Greek, Latin and Sanskrit are all ancient languages, and although Irish/Welsh and English/German are modern languages respectively, in both cases they are descended from ancient languages (Proto-Celtic and Proto-Germanic), and one has to assume that the root word was already present in the ancestor language. Thus, what is more likely? That Celtic, Germanic, Greek, Indo-Iranic and Italic borrowed this root from a (modern) Albanian word, or that they are descended from a common PIE root?
There is no doubt that all of them (as well as Albanian too) are descended from a common PIE root.
But there is no doubt too that Albanian is closer to PIE than everyone else.
In my opinion, whatever that Albanian is spoken by a relatively small number of speakers, offers some extraordinary surprises to the linguistics.
Now let’s come back to my last post:
Well, from the above, I can tell you that this is complete nonsense. As I said, why do you think that everything has to revolve around modern Albanian? Why and how can you be so presumptuous and assume that, what you perceive as internal word formation in Albanian was purportedly the basis of ancient words (mind you, I've shown you that the word has cognates in Celtic, Germanic, Greek and Indo-Iranic)?
What do you think is a nonsense in my above post:
Do you consider as a nonsense my explanation of how Albanian words “ter” and “terr” are wordformed; or simply the fact that a modern Albanian word can not be taken as etymology for a Latin one?
Do you think that Albanian “err” cognates with English “err”?
Does it give you any impression that Gheg Albanian “tu err” (to darken/to obscure” phonetically is quite similar with English “to err” which means “to mistake” or sth like “to sin” (note that the particle “tu” (to) is present in Gheg Albanian too)?
Do you think Gheg Albanian “tu” (to) is borrowed from English “to” or vice versa?
It survives only in English and in Gheg Albanian (if I’m not wrong).
There is another Albanian word (a verb) that is wordformed by Albanian “të err” (or just “t’err”):
Ther = 1- cut down (a human or animal body); slaughter; 2- cut (a human or animal body) just like a surgery operation (compare these meanings with English “to err”);
Theror (n) = sanctuary sacrifice.
Can you realize now that Albanian “ther” is the real wordroot of “terror”? (thus it’s not true that the etymology of “terror” be the PIE *tre- ).
Although Albanian “ther” is a (modern) Albanian word, its derivatives can be found in Latin and in many other modern European languages too.

And now sth for “therapy” (it’s just a guess):
Ther-ap (ther-hap), which literally means “cut-open”.
So, the first meaning of “therapy” would have been “surgery” (mind you, in the meaning of simple surgery for skin wounds).
In the above example you acknowledge on the one hand that Thracian and Dacian are close relatives of Albanian (which is also what mainstream linguistics think, but which indeed requires the Albanian language to have substantially changed, and I gave a good example of that, especially the fact that Albanian possesses a few native words alongside with Dacian loanwords).
Albanian, like all other languages, does have borrowings. Anyway, you’re looking at it from the outside and just as you’re taught to. Try to see with your own eyes and to think with your own mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 302241 times.

Back