Ancient DNA from Hungary-Christine Gamba et al

results from Felix

[h=3]Ancient Hungarian genome (BR2) Y-DNA and mtDNA[/h]
I was able to peek into Y-DNA and mt-DNA of Ancient Hungarian genome - BR2 (SRR1186791) before the completion of the processing. Since it is processed with BAM Analysis Kit 1.5 which has upgraded lobSTR 3.0.2, it has more accurate Y-STR values as well.

[h=3]Y-Haplogroup[/h] The Y-Haplogroup is J-M67 (or J2a1b as per ISOGG tree). The authors has mentioned it as J2a1. However, it is also positive for M67 and

If you want to know the extent of Mongol or Turkic ancestry in West Eurasia, you should study this admixture analysis: http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/suppl/2014/07/30/005850.DC1/005850-1.pdf

In K14, the specifically Turkic-Mongol ancestry is the light orange component. The highest frequencies are found in Kalmyks, Kyrgyz, Karakalpaks, Kazakhs, Altaians, Tuvans, Buryats and Mongols). Its frequency in Europe is marginal, usually it is non-existant. It is nearly non-existant also in Karelians and Russians. It is more frequent in Asia. There is a small amount in Turks, Azeris, Balkars and Adyge, and a clearly higher amount in Bashkirs. This recent Turkic-Mongol ancestry does not explain the East Asian component of Norteast Europeans.

Genetiker has posted results from runs of Dodecad and MDLP for both BR1 and IR1.

Felix has not yet posted results for them, so I'll use the Genetiker ones. I'm not sure if they're exactly precise, but I wanted to do a comparison between them, and for that purpose it's not that important. I just want to see how they differ. As I don't know where the population averages are for every MDLP run, I used the Dodecad ones. (This is just an editorial comment, but how are you supposed to check if the results are accurate if you don't have easily accessible population averages?)

Anyway, these are the K-7b results for the two ancient samples:

K7b BR1

• 75.40% Atlantic_Baltic
  • 16.21% Southern
  • 4.94% West_Asian
  • 1.69% African
  • 1.34% East_Asian
  • 0.28% Siberian
  • 0.15% South_Asian
K7b-IR1

• 50.15% Atlantic_Baltic
  • 25.61% West_Asian
  • 12.04% Southern
  • 6.55% Siberian
  • 2.56% South_Asian
  • 1.78% East_Asian
  • 1.32% African

IR1 has much lower Atlantic Baltic, and much, much higher "West Asian". (The Iron Age man has 25 points less Atlantic-Baltic, and 20 points more "West Asian". Now, whether this is because the Bronze Age peoples of the Steppe were different from the get go, (with perhaps more Atlantic-Baltic and less West Asian from the beginning), or because they had already spent quite a bit of time in central Europe, admixing with the people already there, or both, I don't know.

The "Southern" scores aren't that different. (The Bronze Age person has 4 points more.)

BR1 has East Asian, (1.34) but only a trace of Siberian. (.28)

It's reversed for IR1, who has about the same amount of East Asian (1.78), but who has quite a bit more Siberian (6.55) If these IR Age people came back down from around Andronovo, wouldn't this make sense?

Then I looked at the populaton averages for modern peoples. Here the analysis is "iffier", because I don't know how accurate the Genetiker runs are going to prove to be...

I don't think the French Basque are a good match for any of the ancient samples, but not even for BR1:
Southern 26.8
Atlantic Baltic: 73.2
See Ed. below

Here are the French:
Atlantic Baltic 69.7
Southern 19.9
West Asian 10.4

When compared to the BR1 sample, they lost 5 points of Atlantic Baltic, gained 4 points of Southern, and gained 5 points of West Asian. All the minority East Asian and Siberian is gone.
So, did both Metal Ages Waves reach France, or is subsequent migration during the Roman era, for example.

Just for comparison, here the scores for the Hungarians, who were in the path of both waves:
Atlantic Baltic 69.2
Southern 14.7
West Asian 14.5
Siberian 1.5
E.Asian .1
S. Asian .1

Could we say that there's perhaps more influence from BR1, but that both Metal Ages migrations had an impact here?

Now let's look at the English:
Atlantic Baltic 76.6
Southern 13.1
West Asian 9.7

For Southern, they have 7 points less than the French, but only 3 points less than BR1. They have about the same Atlantic Baltic as the Bronze Age sample, which makes sense because they have less Southern. Tey have about the same amount of West Asian, which is about 5 points more than BR1.

Finally, the Bulgarians:
Atlantic Baltic 54.3
Southern 22.7
West Asian 21.5
Siberian 1.1
East Asian .4

The higher "Southern" impacts all the other numbers, of course, but can we see a mixture here as well but perhaps more balanced in terms of the two migrations, i.e. slightly more Iron Age influence?

Just a reminder that all these "Admixture" components obscure the levels of the 3 ancient civilizations within them, except perhaps for "Southern".
The K-7b Atlantic Baltic, for example, is about 1/3 Atlantic Med, 2/3 North Euro from the K=12b run.

I did these on the run, so if anyone looks at them and I got something wrong, please correct as necessary.

If I have time later maybe I'll fo the same thing for K-12b or Globe 13.

This is not supposed to be gospel, folks, just give us clues.

Ed. The French Basque are not a perfect fit, but not bad.

Last edited:
Great job Angela. Can we have, for comparison, one of NE samples run with calculators? Even Ice Man would do, as his genome fits neatly with other Neolithic samples.

Great job Angela. Can we have, for comparison, one of NE samples run with calculators? Even Ice Man would do, as his genome fits neatly with other Neolithic samples.

All of this comes from this thread on the Dienekes Blog, which also discusses the Portalon Iberian farmer:
http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2013/11/iberian-neolithic-farmer-dna.html

Be aware I think we now how better quality reads of his genome and a new Gok genome, but I think this should still be OK for general comparisons.

Otzi-K7b
At/Baltic 43.1
Southern 51.9
West Asian 1.4
E.Asian 2.8
African .8
Siberian 0

Gok 4 K-7b
At/Baltic 59.1
Southern 40.9

Just for fun:
Sardinians:
At/Baltic 52.7
Southern 47.3

French Basques again:
At/Baltic 73.2
Southern 26.8

North Italians: (Just because Italians are my main area of interest :))
At/Baltic 55.7
Southern 30.2
West Asian 14.1

No wonder Italians plot near Gok 4 on some analyses. Southern and West Asian could perhaps be see as just "western" and
"eastern" versions of EEF?

El Horsto may be onto something in positing that Italy was subject to the Iron Age Migrations, even if it doesn't show up in the historical record. I don't know if it's a trickle down from Central Europe-the Hungarians have the same amount of West Asian. It's just that Northern Italians have more of the Stuttgart type EEF and therefore less At/Baltic.

Or did some come up from the south? The Romans did a lot of founding of colonies in the north.

Here are the Greeks for comparison
At/Baltic 41.2
Southern 33.9
West Asian 24.8

The West Asian scores for the volunteer Greek Dodecad population and the volunteer Southern Italians/Sicilians are .6% apart. Of course, neither are scientifically representative samples.

Oh, since someone brought up the Lithuanians:
At/Baltic 87.6 (Remember, about 1/3 of this is Atlantic Med with buried Stuttgart farmer)
West Asian: 10.4
Siberian: 1.3
S. Asian .3

Does it look like a larger WHG refugia than other places in Europe (maybe the same thing went on in the far northwest), with some farmer coming with central Med farmers and the West Asian with the Metal Ages?

I've going to edit the prior post. The French Basque actually aren't a bad fit for the BR1 sample.

Oh, for the sake of completeness, a Portuguese sample:
At/Baltic 59.8
Southern 29.8
W. Asian 6.5
S. Asian 1.3
African 2.5

By the time you get to the Atlantic Coast, some of the "Indo-European" distinctiveness has sort of what, washed out?

I was musing somewhat at the PCA chart with various pullings in relation to 3 major admixtures.

1. Why Basques are located exactly above EEF/NE farmers, and not to the east? When the former contain substantial ANE, which EEF shouldn't have at all. Basques should be east from NE samples, much closer to Spanish ones.
2. Sardinian and NE farmers don't have ANE admixture, however Sardinians plot to the West from NE but on same latitude. Actually they, with extra WHG mixture, should have plotted exactly North off NE samples. In place of Basques.
3. La Brania HG, Bra2 sample, plots way to the West from the rest of Hunter Gatherers.

ncomms6257-f2.jpg

I came up with this explanation. There is one extra component in the game. The "Western" component which pulls samples, not affected by ANE, along West-East axes. It causes EEF samples to fluctuate West-East while ANE admixture is completely missing, therefore unable to perform such action. Farthermore, I think that this Western component (possibly related to ancient North African Hunter Gatherer admixture?) is contained in WHG admixture. I suppose there are 2 major elements in WHG admixture. One is strongly pulling West the other North, with compounded vector of pull towards North-West.
Hunter Gatherers in Iberian refuge during LGM met HGs from west Africa? Completing creation of WHG from their combine genome, if I may unleash my fantasy. :)

This Western in WHG component is strong in Basques, equalises ANE easterly pull and holds them on par with EEF on W-E axes. It pulls Sardinians and Ice Man to the West from EEF (although Sardinians might gotten some extra pull West from more recent migrations from Africa?). It pulls HG Bra2, born in Spain, most westernly in regards to the rest of HGs.

The effect of West component seems to be 3-5 times weaker than pull of North component. WHG genome = 75% North, 25% West. Mind that North and West are not locations but directions of pull.

The effect of West component seems to be 3-5 times weaker than pull of North component. WHG genome = 75% North, 25% West. Mind that North and West are not locations but directions of pull.

Measuring West WHG component in Baque.
Typical Basque: EEF .60, WHG .30, ANE .10

In Basques all ANE pulling East is totally counterbalanced, and rendering it virtually nonexistent, by West element in their WHG admixture. That why Basques plot exactly as Neolithic Farmers on West-East axes. If ANE in Basque equals 0.10 of whole genome, then I suppose, it is counterbalanced by West WHG , which is also 0.10 of genome. Full WHG admixture equals to 0.30, therefore West in it must be 0.10, one third of whole WHG component.

If they have same ANE level, as you mentioned, how one can be more eastern than the other?

I said, they have the same ANE level when divided by WHG level.

This admixture can also pull samples to the east on the PCA plot. ANE is a main one, I believe, but there could be few minor ones.

Thanks for the map, this East Asian admixture can fully explain why Turkey is pulled much farther east than the rest of Near East. I guess, the invasion of Turks.
The East Europe could have gotten it from Huns, Mongols and Tatars.

But how much? In this map east european levels of 'mongol' are only ~1.5% average (<0.5% in Poles, Lithuanians and Latvians), while Turks have 5%-10%. So Turks have above 10 times more than Poles and Balts. You are not convincing me that this <0.5% is responsible for most of the east shift. Also Turks are primarily shifted towards east because they share so much "West-Asian" with neighbouring Georgians and Armenians, the latter having the most "West-Asian" (look at any admixture analysis you prefer, I'll not dig out again the numbers, sorry. There are good hyperlinks already provided in this thread.). Turks are primarily Caucasians, second Near-Easteners and third Mongol/Siberian. It is possible that Mongol adds a little bit more to the east, I don't care for now, because most important is "West-Asian", which is the main carrier of ANE, accompanied by specific EEF. On the other hand, look at Ir8 and how close Lithuanians are. They could pass as almost pure north-eastern Hunter-Gatherers, with perhaps a very very tiny bit of "West-Asian" admixture from IR1-like peoples, or some older unknown origin.

In general the Hunter-Gatherers at the top are most likely a spectrum created by different ANE levels (not West-Asian exactly, because we still must assume lack of farmer admixture in HG), which is impossible to stem from recent metal ages. It is likely that the hunter-gatherers further east had even more ANE, eventually showing up as "Siberian" admixture, just because ANE is also part of "Siberian".

Measuring West WHG component in Baque.
Typical Basque: EEF .60, WHG .30, ANE .10

In Basques all ANE pulling East is totally counterbalanced, and rendering it virtually nonexistent, by West element in their WHG admixture. That why Basques plot exactly as Neolithic Farmers on West-East axes. If ANE in Basque equals 0.10 of whole genome, then I suppose, it is counterbalanced by West WHG , which is also 0.10 of genome. Full WHG admixture equals to 0.30, therefore West in it must be 0.10, one third of whole WHG component.

The levels for "West-Asian" or ANE in Basques are AFAIK conflicting, even within the Laz paper (big difference between French Basque and Spanish Basque), so it is inconclusive. In the recent admixture analysis, incl. from Laz., they show only tiny traces of ANE/West-Asian, similar to Sardinians, and I'm inclined to think that this makes more sense, at the moment. Earlier I had a different opinion, because they showed much "Gedrosian" in K12b. Afterall, Basques actually appear slightly more east than Sardinians in this PCA plot.

Genetiker has posted results from runs of Dodecad and MDLP for both BR1 and IR1.

Felix has not yet posted results for them, so I'll use the Genetiker ones. I'm not sure if they're exactly precise, but I wanted to do a comparison between them, and for that purpose it's not that important. I just want to see how they differ. As I don't know where the population averages are for every MDLP run, I used the Dodecad ones. (This is just an editorial comment, but how are you supposed to check if the results are accurate if you don't have easily accessible population averages?)

Anyway, these are the K-7b results for the two ancient samples:

K7b BR1

• 75.40% Atlantic_Baltic
  • 16.21% Southern
  • 4.94% West_Asian
  • 1.69% African
  • 1.34% East_Asian
  • 0.28% Siberian
  • 0.15% South_Asian
K7b-IR1

• 50.15% Atlantic_Baltic
  • 25.61% West_Asian
  • 12.04% Southern
  • 6.55% Siberian
  • 2.56% South_Asian
  • 1.78% East_Asian
  • 1.32% African

IR1 has much lower Atlantic Baltic, and much, much higher "West Asian". (The Iron Age man has 25 points less Atlantic-Baltic, and 20 points more "West Asian". Now, whether this is because the Bronze Age peoples of the Steppe were different from the get go, (with perhaps more Atlantic-Baltic and less West Asian from the beginning), or because they had already spent quite a bit of time in central Europe, admixing with the people already there, or both, I don't know.

The IR1 results are quite similar to the Thracian K8 individual with a bit more Atlantic_Baltic and a bit less West Asian.

So this is why I would go with the second theory, that he had been around in Central Europe for quite some time and absorbed some additional farmer+H&G admixture (Atlantic_Baltic is not completely H&G, it is significantly farmer admixed).

The results of IR1 look like what an Ossetian and Russian mixed individual would look like.

@Angela

West Asian can be explained as Early Near Eastern farmer with 1/3 ANE admixture. West Asian is highland-herder DNA imo.

I've tried to stay out of this discussion because I don't know nearly as much about genetics as most of the people posting in this thread. But I'm increasingly wondering whether the ANE classification is really relevant for discussing the genetics of Bronze Age Europe and what impact the Indo-Europeans had on the genetics of different parts of Europe. If Mal'ta Boy and his relatives who presumably had descendants = ANE, there were a lot of millennia for those descendants to spread and mingle with others. So West Asian is apparently 1/3 ANE. But I suspect that at least some of the Eastern Hunter Gatherers had high levels of ANE, and in fact we know that the Corded War people had a lot of ANE. I don't think saying "proto-IE" explains it. The hunter gatherers living in the Russian forest probably had high levels of ANE and many of them probably had Y haplotype R1a. And now we're hearing of tweets from the big conference saying that the Yamna folk who were probably proto-IE test genetically as a mixture of EHG and Armenian. I suspect that a lot of the ANE found in eastern European populations doesn't come from Indo-Europeans but from the EHG folk they conquered. So comparing ANE levels in Basques and Lithuanians may not make sense if it came from different populations. And any ANE in R1b types in Anatolia may have gotten there by a very different route than the ANE in the Baltic.

If ANE was originally simply a marker for people with some kind of Y haplotype R before they spread out and mixed with other people, we might expect to find some ANE wherever we find R1a or R1b, although of course I realize that the amount of ANE in a particular population can't necessarily be predicted by the frequency of the R1a or R1b haplotype since ANE is an autosomal measurement. Nevertheless, I wonder whether ANE could be detected in a West African tribe such as the Oldeme, which has over 90% R1b. ANE would probably still be detectable, but that wouldn't tell us anything about the Indo-European expansion. So why assume that all the ANE found in Lithuania or Poland was brought by Indo-Europeans?

The IR1 results are quite similar to the Thracian K8 individual with a bit more Atlantic_Baltic and a bit less West Asian.

So this is why I would go with the second theory, that he had been around in Central Europe for quite some time and absorbed some additional farmer+H&G admixture (Atlantic_Baltic is not completely H&G, it is significantly farmer admixed).

The results of IR1 look like what an Ossetian and Russian mixed individual would look like.

@Angela

West Asian can be explained as Early Near Eastern farmer with 1/3 ANE admixture. West Asian is highland-herder DNA imo.

Do you mean that BR1 had been around eastern and central Europe for a while but the original Yamnaya folks were more like IR1? Or do you think that IR1 was different from what the original Yamnaya people would have been like?

As to "West Asian" in K7b I'm not sure if it's one third ANE. How did you arrive at that precise figure? Is that a blogger computed figure?

Also, could you take a look at these Lithuanian figures and tell me what you think?

EEF: 36.4
WHG: 46.4
ANE: .172

K7b: (This is the academic sample. The Dodecad sample is slightly different. )
At/Baltic 87.6
Southern .4
W.Asian 10.4
Siberian 1.3
South Asian .3

If you take 2/3 of the West Asian, plus Southern, you have to take a certain amount of points from Atlantic/Baltic and label it EEF to get to that 36.4 number. Does that number fit with your view of the proportions in Atlantic/Baltic?

There's also the fact that in the admixture chart, I think all the "farmer" in the Lithuanians was blue, correct?
I had always assumed the EEF in Atlantic/Baltic was Stuttgart.

Ed. People are going back to equating Atlantic/Baltic with H/G. There's an EEF component in there. Even Otzi had 43.1 Atlantic/Baltic. (See post #162)

Afterall, Basques actually appear slightly more east than Sardinians in this PCA plot.
I can only see 2 workarounds to consolidate Basque position on PCA chart. Either they didn't have ANE at all, therefore match Neolithic Farmers on the plot on WE axes, or something else is pulling them West counteracting ANE pull East.
Knowing that ANE was already found in Basques and that they were fairly secluded group in mountains, second scenario is more plausible. I think it is lurking inside some of WHG admixture.

I said, they have the same ANE level when divided by WHG level.
Sorry, didn't get that at first. Do you mean proportional? I can see what you mean now. It make sense in most of the cases, but only when ANE component is present. In case of Sardinians, lowering EEF level, therefore increase of WHG, can cause a pull to the West instead.

What about UHG in NE Europeans? This 4th admixture might have NE pull on PCA chart too. Distorting the simple story of 3 main admixtures.

Last edited:
I've tried to stay out of this discussion because I don't know nearly as much about genetics as most of the people posting in this thread. But I'm increasingly wondering whether the ANE classification is really relevant for discussing the genetics of Bronze Age Europe and what impact the Indo-Europeans had on the genetics of different parts of Europe. If Mal'ta Boy and his relatives who presumably had descendants = ANE, there were a lot of millennia for those descendants to spread and mingle with others. So West Asian is apparently 1/3 ANE. But I suspect that at least some of the Eastern Hunter Gatherers had high levels of ANE, and in fact we know that the Corded War people had a lot of ANE. I don't think saying "proto-IE" explains it. The hunter gatherers living in the Russian forest probably had high levels of ANE and many of them probably had Y haplotype R1a. And now we're hearing of tweets from the big conference saying that the Yamna folk who were probably proto-IE test genetically as a mixture of EHG and Armenian. I suspect that a lot of the ANE found in eastern European populations doesn't come from Indo-Europeans but from the EHG folk they conquered. So comparing ANE levels in Basques and Lithuanians may not make sense if it came from different populations. And any ANE in R1b types in Anatolia may have gotten there by a very different route than the ANE in the Baltic.
If ANE was originally simply a marker for people with some kind of Y haplotype R before they spread out and mixed with other people, we might expect to find some ANE wherever we find R1a or R1b, although of course I realize that the amount of ANE in a particular population can't necessarily be predicted by the frequency of the R1a or R1b haplotype since ANE is an autosomal measurement. Nevertheless, I wonder whether ANE could be detected in a West African tribe such as the Oldeme, which has over 90% R1b. ANE would probably still be detectable, but that wouldn't tell us anything about the Indo-European expansion. So why assume that all the ANE found in Lithuania or Poland was brought by Indo-Europeans?

Before I respond, I don't know if you saw Razib's comment on all of this in his blog:
http://www.unz.com/gnxp/r1a1a-what-is-best-in-life/

In it he says...
Over at Greg Cochran’s blog he’s been posting on Indo-Europeans. He’s had many of these ideas for a long time, but after I recounted to him some more information from ASHG 2014 it crystallized a lot in terms of specifical detail. For example, the Kalash of Pakistan share a lot of drift with “Ancestral North Eurasians” (ANE). By “a lot”, I mean in the same range as North Caucasus and Eastern European groups. Other HGDP samples from Pakistan are somewhat lower in their signals, but it still noticeable.* In Iosif Lazaridis’ presentation at ASHG 2014 he outlined the likelihood that the widespread distribution of ANE ancestry in Europe probably had something to do with the migrations of the Yamna culture, from which derived the Battle Axe Culture. The genetic variation you see in eastern and central Europe today is representative of the Yamna people. They know because they have ancient samples from those regions. The Yamna themselves are a mix of an Armenian-like Middle Eastern population, and “Eastern Hunter-Gatherers” (EHG) which resemble those to the west but have a higher fraction of ANE (so the are WHG + ANE, while the Armenian-like population is similar to, but not exactly the same as, the “European First Farmers” (EFF).

First thing is that the people from the Reigh lab, if the tweets were accurate, definitely seem to be saying that Yamnaya equals the Indo-Europeans.

If Razib is right in his interpretation, and as Alan proposed, the farmer portion of the Yamnaya was very similar to, but not exactly the same as EEF. As I had speculated, while EEF had some WHG, the "Armenian like" farmer population probably had some ANE. I'm not sure it's 33%, however. I guess we'll see when the paper comes out.

The more interesting portion to me is the "Hunter-Gatherer". We know the WHG are far in the West. Thousands of years before the ANE were far to the east. Motala, whom we could call a Scandinavian Hunter Gatherer, was 19% ANE? (So, I agree with you that we don't know which migration delivered exactly what percent of ANE. However, given there was no ANE in the western Mesolithic, couldn't we say that for western Europeans it came from the east, whether from Scandinavia or Yamnaya? Also, since the Lithuanians have, according to this paper, virtually no Stuttgart ancestry the blue bloc would have had to have come with the Indo-Europeans? So doesn't it make sense that some of their ANE also came from them? This would suggest to me that the level of ANE in that area might not have been at 19% levels when the Indo-Europeans arrived.)

Now, this EHG is really an ancient Karelian. I'm sure you know where Karelia is, but for anyone reading this who doesn't know...
http://www.balticuniv.uu.se/images/stories/images/Karelia/Karelia.png

More interestingly, this is their mtDNA from the Dersarkassian paper:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FTrvKmfSu...ABTI/OUA0Xer8CFI/s1600/DersarkissianT1Kar.png

This may be why, as has been reported, Reich and company, while believing that the ancient Karelians had "lots" of ANE, are having a problem figuring out the precise number. (This comes from Fire-Haired's thread. I have no personal knowledge of it.) To me, there's a definite "East Asian" flavor in the mtDNA.

So, these EHG were, I think, quite different from the WHG. Maybe the ultimate model will be WHG, EHG, Early Near Eastern farmer (if we ever get the genome of one).

Anyway, I have no idea where the boundary line between WHG and EHG would have existed. Perhaps there was a sort of mixed no man's land in the border areas? As I said, however, I don't know where that border area would have been located. It's clear that the ANE exists all the way south into Central Asia.( the Kalash as Razib Khan pointed out ) Whether that was there before the Indo-European migration, or as a result of the Indo-European migrations I also don't know, and I don't know how anyone else can know either.

I will say that I have been surprised at how different the Indo-Europeans are from the way that people had envisioned them. Is it my imagination, or is the bloom off the rose for some people as a result? I could swear I get the sense that all of a sudden being descended from them doesn't have quite the cachet it used to have, although they changed the world in a major way. Of course, I tend to think the worst of people. You never go wrong that way. :)

Oh, and the Iron Age people fit the lifestyle that people imagined for them far more, I think, than the Yamnaya folk do...

This is all what I think tonight. I may reconsider tomorrow. :)

Well I've always posted here that I did not believe my Baltic ancestors coming to current lands on their chariots and shiny weapons :)
Some clans figured out how to do simple but somewhat better farming + animals in forests. This let them populate huge areas in North Europe as corded.
However this is only (first bunch of r1a) half of IE story, history of r1b + later Iranic r1a could be much more violent...

Thanks for your comments, Angela, but perhaps I wasn't clear enough about what I was saying. I'm not at all surprised that IE=EHF + farmers from the Caucausus. Nor am I surprised that the farmers from the Caucausus are a mixture of early Middle Eastern Farmer and ANE. But I'm also not surprised that EHF seems to be a mixture of WHG (or something similar and ANE - that was kind of my point. ANE may tell us less than we'd hoped about the IE dispersal in Eastern Europe, simply because ANE was already present in Eastern Europe before the Bronze Age. Whereas it presumably wasn't present in Western Europe until the spread of R1b. So I'm not sure it's helpful to compare ANE levels in Basques and Lithuanians in order to try to figure out anything about the Indo-European dispersal. As for the idea that the replacement of earlier languages by IE languages in Europe happened in many cases during the Iron Age, history already tells us that. But, IMO, that calls into question the idea that IE folk raced across Europe on horseback to create the massive amounts of R1b in Atlantic Europe. IMO, either that happened during the Iron Age or Atlantic R1b arrived during the late Neolithic and wasn't IE.

I guess my problem with referring to EHG as Karelians is that modern Karelians are a linguistic group who speak a language that didn't yet exist when Proto-IE was being developed. I think that if someone wants to plot modern population groups based on older groups, it should be based on WHG, EEF, EHG and West Asian, while recognizing that the latter two both included ANE. And while I wouldn't be too quick to reject the bloody image of IE warriors, given that they were apparently the first people to manufacture large amounts of bronze weapons, the dominance of IE in Europe seems to have been created by the Celtic expansion, the Greek colonization of Italy, the Roman Empire, the creation of the German language and subsequent German expansion and the Slavic expansion. The first two are a mixture of Bronze Age and Iron Age and the last three are Iron Age events.

This thread has been viewed 161115 times.

Back