Illyrian and Albanian - a linguistic approach

One of the best linguists in the Paleo-Balkanic languages of the last century Georgiev long ago noted;
The Illyrians were notorious sailors in the ancient world. They were great ship builders and seafarers,Albanian language lack maritime terms all of it's words for seafaring,fish are borrowed from other languages,therefore Albanian language must be searched somewhere inland,mountainous region to have originated certainly not Illyrian he connected with Dacian language instead.

Knowing the recorded history of Albanians in middle ages,they were mountainous tribes relying on cattle breeding.
Let's check the Illyrian maritime and some of the middle ages later;
The most skillful Illyrian sailors were the Liburnians, Japodes, Delmatae and Ardiaei.The Illyrian tactics consisted of lashing their galleys together in groups of four and inviting a broadside attack from a ram. The Illyrians would then board the enemy craft in overwhelming numbers. Illyrian war ships were adopted by many peoples especially the Greeks and Romans. Illyrian craftsmen were even hired by the King of Macedon to build 100 ships in the First Macedonian War because to him they bore a special gift of ship building. The earliest evidence of Illyrian ships is from the design of a ship incised on bronze greaves from Glasinac dating from the 8th century BC to the 7th century BC.

The three main types of Illyrian warships were the Lembus, the Liburna and the Pristis.

The lembos (from Greek: λέμβος, "boat" romanized as lembus), was an ancient Illyrian warship, with a single bank of oars and no sails. It was small and light, with a low freeboard. It was a fast and maneuverable warship capable of carrying 50 men in addition to the rowers. It was most commonly associated with the vessels used by the Illyrian tribes, chiefly for piracy, in the area of Dalmatia.This type of craft was also adopted by Philip V of Macedon, and soon after by the Seleucids, Rome, and even the Spartan king Nabis in his attempt to rebuild the Spartan navy.

The Pristis (Ancient Greek Πρίστις) was a beaked long and narrow war ship(it was also the name of a specific ship in the Aeneid.

The most known Liburnian ship was their warship, known as a libyrnis to the Greeks and a liburna to the Romans, propelled by oars. According to some thoughts, liburna was shown in the scene of naval battle, curved on a stone tablet (Stele di Novilara) found near Antique Pisaurum (Pesaro), outlined to 5th or 6th century BC, the most possibly showing imaginary battle between Liburnian and Picenian fleets. Liburna was presented as light type of the ship with one row or the oars, one mast, one sail and prow twisted outwards. Under the prow there was a rostrum made for striking the enemy ships under the sea.

By its original form, the liburna was the most similar to the Greek penteconter. It had one bench with 25 oars on each side, while in the late ages of the Roman Republic, it became a smaller version of a trireme, but with two banks of oars (a bireme), faster, lighter, and more agile than biremes and triremes. The liburnian design was adopted by the Romans and became a key part of Ancient Rome's navy, most possibly by mediation of Macedonian navy in the 2nd half of the 1st century BC. Liburna ships played a key role in naval battle of Actium in Greece, which lasted from August 31 to September 2 of 31 BC. Because of the its naval and maneuver features and bravery of its Liburnian crews, these ships completely defeated much bigger and heavier eastern ships, quadriremes and penterames.

Picture from Liburna.
1024px-058_Conrad_Cichorius%2C_Die_Reliefs_der_Traianss%C3%A4ule%2C_Tafel_LVIII.jpg

Let's check some sefaring of the Middles ages.I will list couples Slavic tribes;
The Narentines was an ethnonym of a South Slavic tribe that occupied an area of southern Dalmatia west of the river Neretva or "Narenta". They were known for their piracy, so they are today known as the Neretva pirates.
These Narentani defeated a Venetian fleet in 887, and for more than a century exacted tribute from Venice itself. In 998 they were finally crushed by the doge Pietro Orseolo II., who assumed the title duke of Dalmatia, though without prejudice to Byzantine suzerainty.— Encyclopedia Britannica, 1911
Already by the middle of the 7th century – in 642 – the Slavs dispatched from the Dalmatian coast towards Italy and invaded Siponto at the Gulf of Monte Gargano. Afterwards, raids in the Adriatic increased rapidly, until Slavs became the most fearsome threat to safe travelling.
By the second half of the 9th century the Narentines had long been trying change their lifestyle from piracy completely. Despite that, the Narentines kidnapped the Roman Bishop's emissaries that were returning from the Ecclesiastical Council in Constantinople in the middle of March 870,until Eastern Roman Emperor Basil I of the Macedonian dynasty finally pacified them with a naval military attempt, after which he reunified the whole of Dalmatia under Imperial Byzantine rule.

The 'sagena' - meaning 'arrow' - and its smaller cousin the 'kondura' were the vessels of choice of the Narentine pirates
The sagena could carry up to forty warriors and the kondura half that number. The ability to outrun the Byzantine Roman authorities, coupled with their capture of Papal emissaries on their way to Constantinople in AD870, intimidated them to the point where Emperor Constantine VII ordered a large amount for use in his own fleets. The most famous example to be discovered is the so-called 'Condura Croatica', found buried in the town of Nin in 1966, and dated to the 14th century - indicating that the kondura and sagena were hardy and effective enough to remain in production for many centuries.

"Kondura"
www.nin-ivana2.jpg

Traditional fishing vessel from the Neretva Delta region
Neretvanska_ladja.jpg

The Velegesites were living in the region of Thessaly, the economic activities of the tribe included trade with the Byzantine city of Thessaloniki by 670-80.When the city was besieged by the Sagudates, Drogubites and other tribes in the late 7th century, the leaders of the Belegezites provided supplies for the besieged population.During the same period, along with other tribes they were using armed logboats to plunder the coasts of Thessaly.One of the leaders of the tribe in the late 7th century was a person named Tihomir, whose name has been found on artifacts of the same period.

The Baiounitai lived in region west of Thessalonica. They belonged to a group of Slavic tribes that unsuccessfully tried to capture the city at the beginning of the 7th century, after which they migrated to the region north of Ioannina in the northern Epirus. The territory they settled there was later named after them as Vagenetia. Many toponyms in the region of northern Epirus (modern-day southern Albania) still have names received by the name of this tribe.

A Vajounites dugout boat from the 10th century
1024px-Dlubanka_swidnica_2.jpg

De Administrando Imperio details how the Slavs built monoxyla that they sold to Vikings in Kiev.These ships were then used against the Byzantine Empire during the Rus'–Byzantine Wars of the 9th and 10th centuries. They used dugouts to attack Constantinople and to withdraw into their lands with bewildering speed and mobility.Hence, the name of Δρομίται ("people on the run") applied to the Rus in some Byzantine sources. The monoxyla were often accompanied by larger galleys, that served as command and control centres. Each Slavic dugout could hold from 40 to 70 warriors.

19th century dugout boat from Serbia
stari_camac_resize_0.jpg

Dugout boat, Serbia, undetermined age
12_0.jpg

I want you to show me some Albanian seafaring archeology and about what they were known in Middle Ages?

Last edited:
Some Illyrian toponyms according to Doçi.Rexhep Doçi, Prishtina — Kosova

In the Illyrian toponym Dimallum in present- day Albania (including the Balkan toponyms Malontum, Maloventum, Malontina), which B. Dautaj identifies in the village Allambrez in the surroundings of Berat, Eqrem Çabej and other scholars, for instance, trace the Albanian word mal. This Illyrian-Albanian word mal has been preserved and appears in many late and modern patronyms and toponyms, out of which we mention the name of the eastern region of Malesheva (Macedonia), which Milivoje Pavlović and others derive from Illyrian-Albanian as of Thracian-Albanian origin. Even in the present Mali i Zi (Montenegro) the word mal, according to Milan Shuflay, besides being found in the name Mali i Zi itself (“Mal’si, Malcija, 1452 — Malisium ... 1463 — Malici, it bears also the Serbian name Crna Gora ... Muzaka, in 1512 was called Montenegro”), can also be found in the Albanian patronym assimilated in malazezë-serbë as Malonšić “with pure Albanian blood in the valley of the river Zeta”, or according to Branislav Djurdjev: “even Albanian villages were slavonized, and this is also proved by the cases Malonšić and Golemad”. As for the function of the Illyrian- Albanian word mal in onomastics as well as for its eventual calque in the same function in lat. montanj, in gr. oros, in lat.-vlah. plana — planina, and in sl.-srb. gora — šuma, see Doçi (1983).

The ancient toponym Durrahion — Durracium and the present Durrës on the Albanian coast are (according to J. Kastrati) of Albanian origin, from the Albanian words dy + rrahe. From the same word rrahe (forest clearing), but from the plural with metaphony rrih (rrah : rreh : rrih) and with a radix -hand a suffix and metathesis in the toponyms Rhizona : Risani in Montenegro was formed. According to Dujo Rendić Miočević, that place is considered as “an area of the Illyrian town Rhizona (probably from Rihesona — R. Doçi) at the Bay of Kotor ... which used to be the centre of Illyrian rulers and dynasties (Teuta, Baley) ... and Risinium is a Roman successor of Rhizona”. The name of the Illyrian castle Bauton, Butua (today Budva) in present-day Montenegro, has its origin also from an Illyrian-Albanian word (i,e) but-ë. There are more anthroponyms, patronyms and toponyms of Illyrian-Albanian origin in ethnic Albania which are connected with the word rrah (the names of present and medieval villages: Rahove and Rahavec in Kosovo; Rehove and Rinas in present-day Albania; Rahovicë and Reincë (?) in Southern Serbia; Rahovë in Montenegro etc.); cp. also the word i,e butë in the names of villages: Butoc in Kosovo; Butka in Albania; Bytol and Boutelis in Macedonia (Doçi 1990). According to the German scholar J. G. von Hahn, the name of the Illyrian tribe Dardan and its ancient territory Dardania (now diminished Kosovo) has its origin from the Illyrian-Albanian word dard — dardhë. E. Çabej agrees with him about the words Dardan and Dardani, but he associates them even with the names of the ancient Dardan towns and the present-day towns of Nish and Shkup, which, according to him, are words built up on the basis of the historical phonetics of Albanian. The name of the Dardan castle Ulkianum (“Hierher auch Ulcianum, in der Dardania”, Krahe 1925) derives from the Illyrian-Albanian word ulk : ujk : uk (wolf); in the same way this word (ulk : ujk, plural ulq : ujq) accounts for the name of the ancient and present town of Ulqin in Montenegro (Mayer 1957; Çabej 1977). During the reign of the Roman Emperor Primus Justinianus (527—565), who is thought to have built the town of Prishtina (Prima Justiniana = Prishtina?), Ulpiana became a well-known Christian centre, which was replaced by the Catholic Church of Gracanica during the later Slavic-Serbian rule (Gjini 1986). In Dardania Anton Mayer mentions two other Illyrian castles, Gurbikon in Nish and Gurasson, which derive from the Illyrian-Albanian word guri (stone) (Domi 1983).

Are you saying, that the Slavs where in Italy in the late bronze-age?

If the slovenian language are understandable in venetic, messapic, etruscan, rhaetic etc its because the incoming slovene language vocabulary was so very poor and minor that they adopted the local language and absorbed the people to form a people called slovenes. We see no Slovenes in Roman history. So we must conclude they formed from a mix of very many different minor non-slavic tribes with a migrating slavic tribe circa 600AD

Sile, you know I don't say. My Slovenian friends gave me some Slovenian materials, and I wanted to share with the members of forum. Slovenians have published a number of books in which argue that Messapic, Venetian and Illyrian are predcessors of Slovenian. There are a lot of materials and I could put new threads. Slovenian researchers deny that Albanian has link with Illyrian and they put Slovenian. We can see members of Slovenian academy supported this. Albanians have no legal succession to the Illyrian, we see new scientists in the world deny that Albanian has link with Illyrian. Even some Albanians. Slovenian researchers think that they give a lot of proofs that Slovenian is successor of Messapic, Venetian and Illyrian.

They mostly use Messapic inscriptions because unlike Illyrian there are about 350 Messapic scripts.

Here is another example:

Inscription 198:

ASSTAIZALLES/ILIRAILAZOVA

AS STAI ZALLES ILI RAI LAZI OVA

Ali stoje zaliješ ali raje ležiš tu.

Do you prefer to drink standing or prefer to lie here.

AS ak, ko; eng. when
STAI stai, stoj, stoje; stand
ZALLES zalijes; drink up
ILI ili, ali; or
RAI raj, raje, rajsi; rather
LAZI lazi, lezi; lie down
OVA ova, ta, tu; thia, here

There are a lot of examples and Slovenian researchers give detailed dictionary Messapic/Illyrian and Slovenian.

What do I think? We know, never proved link between Illyrian and Albanian. Slovenian researchers entered in empty space, they think that they discovered proofs, what is interesting they are very analytical and offer a lot of material. They saw that Albanians found nothing and they think that enter new light in Messapian and Illyrian period.

I will not give more material from Slovenian publications in this threads, if I want, I will open new threads. My opinion generally is that we should see what different researchers do (in accordance what is threads) and in confrontation of different researches of different researchers we will be closer to search for truth.

Who wants to hear only "his or her true" he or she is blind and deaf to any opposing point of view what is dogmatic and wrong method and it is not scientific method. Of course, do not get me wrong, here I was not talking about you, personally very appreciate your opinion. Whether Slovenian researchers have a foothold, I think problems are complex and Slovenian researchers should conduct researches in a broader sense, strictly scientifically based and multidisciplinary. On the contrary, they will fall to the level of which can see in another case.

By the way.pa ta ti si,ju pa.ate<<father,ar etc etc etc,,Their is much albanian in this but dont matter show how silly you are haha.

Mistake. Not I but Slovenian researchers, I just translated from Slovenian sources, nothing added. Someone can think that Slovenian researchers are silly and someone can laugh but it is better that someone should show a little respect for researchers who are coming from a country of European Union.

mods what are you waiting for? Garrick has already succeeded not only to derail but to infest the space with irrelevant sources, clinging upon far-fetched hypotheses to make the most absurd and surreal things seem normal. Messapic related to Slavic (?), clutching at straws!

It requires a lot of blindness to not apprehend the obvious - the fact that Albanian is by and large descendant of one of the Paleo-Balkan idioms which was spoken in Western Balkans. but only hardcore nationalists from Serbia are reluctant to come to terms with truth. A sense of blind nationalism is so deeply ingrained in their mind that no amount of education can disabuse them of it. I feel sorry for them! Perpetuating myths and fantasies to cater to your ideologies its a long standing serbian tradition. I implore you to stop participating on this topic as you are completely out of your element and you go off on a different tangent all the time.

You can see that I defended the ban anyone:

It is not offense, this is like as Enver Hoxha way of thinking.

If you do not like someone's words they should be deleted.

I disagree with many Albanians here, but I have never asked for deleting their words if they comply with forum rules, this is a free forum, each one can write what he or she wants (if it is in accordance with rules of forum), let everyone share his or her views.

Personally, I am very surprised by such your negative reactions towards Slovenian researchers. Slovenia is a country of European Union. Their researchers can suppose that the Slovenian is successor of Messapic, Venetian and Illyrian. It is known in science what is needed to be done in hard way from hypothesis to proofs. Of course and Albanian scientists are on the level of hypothesis.

Again:

Fortson, 2010 (2 ed.), 2004 (I ed.)
Indo-European language and culture: An introduction

"Two untestable hypotheses about Illyrian's connection to other languages are widely held: that Illyrian is same as or closely related to Messapic, and that Illyrian is the ancestor of Albanian. The first hypothesis is based on the close cultural connections between the Messapians and Illyrians, and on certain similarities between some linguistic elements. The second hypothesis has very little, if any, linguistic support, but makes geographic sense... The possible relationship to Messapic does not help, for the Messapic inscription evince no obvious similarities to Albanians."

Dr. Forston very clearly say that is untestable hypothesis that Illyrian is the ancestor of Albanian and that this hypothesis has very little if any linguistic support.

In other words Albanian researchers are still at the level of a hypothesis, nothing more.

About geographical sense we all know it, Dr Forston only speaks about fact, in middle and northern todays Albania once Illyrian lived. And in todays Montenegro, Bosnia, Western Serbia, Dalmatia, Panonian plain, Istria.

Sile, you know I don't say. My Slovenian friends gave me some Slovenian materials, and I wanted to share with the members of forum. Slovenians have published a number of books in which argue that Messapic, Venetian and Illyrian are predcessors of Slovenian. There are a lot of materials and I could put new threads. Slovenian researchers deny that Albanian has link with Illyrian and they put Slovenian. We can see members of Slovenian academy supported this. Albanians have no legal succession to the Illyrian, we see new scientists in the world deny that Albanian has link with Illyrian. Even some Albanians. Slovenian researchers think that they give a lot of proofs that Slovenian is successor of Messapic, Venetian and Illyrian.

They mostly use Messapic inscriptions because unlike Illyrian there are about 350 Messapic scripts.

Here is another example:

Inscription 198:

ASSTAIZALLES/ILIRAILAZOVA

AS STAI ZALLES ILI RAI LAZI OVA

Ali stoje zaliješ ali raje ležiš tu.

Do you prefer to drink standing or prefer to lie here.

AS ak, ko; eng. when
STAI stai, stoj, stoje; stand
ZALLES zalijes; drink up
ILI ili, ali; or
RAI raj, raje, rajsi; rather
LAZI lazi, lezi; lie down
OVA ova, ta, tu; thia, here

There are a lot of examples and Slovenian researchers give detailed dictionary Messapic/Illyrian and Slovenian.

What do I think? We know, never proved link between Illyrian and Albanian. Slovenian researchers entered in empty space, they think that they discovered proofs, what is interesting they are very analytical and offer a lot of material. They saw that Albanians found nothing and they think that enter new light in Messapian and Illyrian period.

I will not give more material from Slovenian publications in this threads, if I want, I will open new threads. My opinion generally is that we should see what different researchers do (in accordance what is threads) and in confrontation of different researches of different researchers we will be closer to search for truth.

Who wants to hear only "his or her true" he or she is blind and deaf to any opposing point of view what is dogmatic and wrong method and it is not scientific method. Of course, do not get me wrong, here I was not talking about you, personally very appreciate your opinion. Whether Slovenian researchers have a foothold, I think problems are complex and Slovenian researchers should conduct researches in a broader sense, strictly scientifically based and multidisciplinary. On the contrary, they will fall to the level of which can see in another case.

maybe your friends should stop chasing this theory from 1984 and get themsleves up todate via more modern slovene linguists. Also read

[h=1]Postsocialism: Politics and Emotions in Central and Eastern Europe[/h] edited by Maruska Svasek

maybe your friends should stop chasing this theory from 1984 and get themsleves up todate via more modern slovene linguists. Also read

Postsocialism: Politics and Emotions in Central and Eastern Europe

edited by Maruska Svasek

Sile, you said essence, reputation.

There are hypothesis which never been proven:

- Albanians think that Albanian once was Illyrian and Pelasgian and that Albanians are descendants of Illyrians

- Slavic Macedonians think that Alexander the Great is their, they are descendants of Ancient Macedonians

- Slovenians think that Messapic, Venetic and Illyrian is descendant of Slovenian.

According science:

- Albanian / Illyrian link is never been proven, Albanian / Pelasgian link is never been proven, without evidence

- Slavic Macedonian / Ancient Macedonian link is never been proven, without evidence

- Slovenian / Messapic-Illyrian link, there are evidence for Messapic inscription but never been proven what to does with Slovenian.

Hypothesis is only hypothesis until it is proved or rejected through rigorous scientific method.

Everyone is free that establish hypothesis.

In Serbia there are persons who give hypothesis about links Serbs with Pelasgians, Etruscans, Venetic etc. But they are individuals, such unproven hypothesis has no support state level or Academy of science.

What about hypothesis becomes state project, highest state level, we can see for Albania and Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. In Slovenia it is not, although we saw some academic involved.

Important book by Kaser Karl:
The Balkans and the Near East: Introduction to a Shared History

The Albanian case was much more complicated... The most important one was the hypothesis that the Albanian population was the successor of Illyrian. The Indo-European Illyrians were possibly present in the Western Balkans as early as the proto-Greek tribal alliance... This Illyrian-Albanian continuity-hypothesis is questionable, but for the ethnic engineers, this does not matter; education in national historyas elsewhere in the Balkansmakes sure that no doubt emerges.

Dr Kaser from Gratz, Austria, said right in center. Hypothesis by ethnic engineers becomes dogma and “apsolute true” and with state leaders enter in educational process. Generation people who arise from this process think what they learned is true without doubt and critical thinking, and it becomes serious problem.

Of course there are Albanians who deny to accept this a priori dogma, they are brave persons who express doubt and they think critically on above issues.

But wait,,, Dr Kaser is probably “Slavic or Serbian nationalist”, he talks about what is undoubtedly and what must not be interpreted differently.

Sile, thank you for recommending book by Dr Svasek, I will read it.

- Albanians think that Albanian once was Illyrian and Pelasgian and that Albanians are descendants of Illyrians

- Slavic Macedonians think that Alexander the Great is their, they are descendants of Ancient Macedonians

- Slovenians think that Messapic, Venetic and Illyrian is descendant of Slovenian.

According science:

- Albanian / Illyrian link is never been proven, Albanian / Pelasgian link is never been proven, without evidence

- Slavic Macedonian / Ancient Macedonian link is never been proven, without evidence

- Slovenian / Messapic-Illyrian link, there are evidence for Messapic inscription but never been proven what to does with Slovenian.

Hypothesis is only hypothesis until it is proved or rejected through rigorous scientific method.

In Serbia there are persons who give hypothesis about links Serbs with Pelasgians, Etruscans, Venetic etc. But they are individuals, such unproven hypothesis has no support state level or Academy of science.

What about hypothesis becomes state project, highest state level, we can see for Albania and Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. In Slovenia it is not, although we saw some academic involved.

The Albanian case was much more complicated... The most important one was the hypothesis that the Albanian population was the successor of Illyrian. The Indo-European Illyrians were possibly present in the Western Balkans as early as the proto-Greek tribal alliance... This Illyrian-Albanian continuity-hypothesis is questionable, but for the ethnic engineers, this does not matter; education in national historyas elsewhere in the Balkansmakes sure that no doubt emerges.

Dr Kaser from Gratz, Austria, said right in center. Hypothesis by ethnic engineers becomes dogma and “apsolute true” and with state leaders enter in educational process. Generation people who arise from this process think what they learned is true without doubt and critical thinking, and it becomes serious problem.

Of course there are Albanians who deny to accept this a priori dogma, they are brave persons who express doubt and they think critically on above issues.

But wait,,, Dr Kaser is probably “Slavic or Serbian nationalist”, he talks about what is undoubtedly and what must not be interpreted differently.

Archaeologist Perego has found the oldest presence of Venetic people from ~1200BC ............maybe you should read her analysis. She is posted in a
university in the UK

https://mefra.revues.org/2503

According science:

About Albanian Illyrian heretage:
You can't be singing the same melody all the time:
Your usual line is:Albanians do not originate from Illyrians. There is not proof for it. Albanians came from Azerbaijan because there was there a country called Albania in the past right there. And do not provide proof that Albanians of Albania have some connections from that place. Or you should prove that Albanians can fly, so they flew from Romania or Azerbaijan to present day location in the 11th century when the word Albanian is first documented. Byzantines wrote who come to their location or who left. If you have proofs for your doubts show ua the proof, if you dont just stop it, and cure your jealousy!

Archaeologist Perego has found the oldest presence of Venetic people from ~1200BC ............maybe you should read her analysis. She is posted in a
university in the UK

https://mefra.revues.org/2503

Sile, what do you think, what is urge, what drives Slovenians, Albanians, etc to proclaim themselves as descendants of Illyrians. From what this arises?

Extraordinary and honesty article about false Albanian and Slovenian ethnogenesis by Slovenian researcher Marjeta Šašel Kos, Institute of Archaeology, Ljubljana:

"The Veneti and the Illyrians – in particular the latter – have a long and heterogeneous history, which has, interestingly, even been exploited in the modern age for pseudo-historical and political purposes. It is not the scope of this contribution to present a systematic bibliography concerning these two problems and illustrating the abuse of ancient sources and their data for the ethnogenesis of the Slovenians and Albanians, let alone to list other similar examples of “false identities”, since the two cases are not only ones."

About Albanian Illyrian heretage:
You can't be singing the same melody all the time:
Your usual line is:Albanians do not originate from Illyrians. There is not proof for it. Albanians came from Azerbaijan because there was there a country called Albania in the past right there. And do not provide proof that Albanians of Albania have some connections from that place. Or you should prove that Albanians can fly, so they flew from Romania or Azerbaijan to present day location in the 11th century when the word Albanian is first documented. Byzantines wrote who come to their location or who left. If you have proofs for your doubts show ua the proof, if you dont just stop it, and cure your jealousy!

I never wrote that Albanians have link with Caucasus Albania.

I wrote that probably territory Proto Albanians was Eastern Anatolia, Caucasus and Northern Iran, possible the area around Caspian sea, it is possible that Caucasus Albania is only coincidence.

Although Armenians told me that Caucasus Albania capital Barda (Azerbaijani: Bərdə) can be Albanian word bardhë (eng. white), of course still other things.

I don't like speculate about it, for me story of Caucasus Albania as doesn't exist.

Sources are talking/correspondence with Armenians, Iranians, Kurds, Azers, Greeks, Turks, Albanians etc., scientific articles and written sources, some of them Albanian.

I never wrote that Albanians have link with Caucasus Albania.

I wrote that probably territory Proto Albanians was Eastern Anatolia, Caucasus and Northern Iran, possible the area around Caspian sea, it is possible that Caucasus Albania is only coincidence.

Although Armenians told me that Caucasus Albania capital Barda (Azerbaijani: Bərdə) can be Albanian word bardhë (eng. white), of course still other things.

I don't like speculate about it, for me story of Caucasus Albania as doesn't exist.

Sources are talking/correspondence with Armenians, Iranians, Kurds, Azers, Greeks, Turks, Albanians etc., scientific articles and written sources, some of them Albanian.
bardhe is fits perfect with Bardylis the dardanian king in present day kosova.Maybe the latin word bardel also is from caucasus or iran maybe caspian sea also..I doubt any of these words are related.I just fpund something interesting the old latin word arbor means tree.I without a doubt belive MYSELF albanian language is much related to latin as it was nearly latinised.proto albania is put some where north of jecerik line around mati.

Last edited:

This is the most rambling logic I've ever seen. Ok, I made an exaggeration because I've seen even worse but your unbridled ignorance deserves an honorable mention. For the life of me I don't get why such lousy efforts to obfuscate Illyrian origin of the Albanians, which is the most widespread conclusion reached by nearly all independent scholars tackling with Albanian. But our little Serbian friend seems ill at ease and tries desperately to point the contrary, yet all he can come up with is a bunch of uncorroborated sources in line with what he wants to hear. His woeful English riddled by his twisted logic makes him the laughing stock of all these boards.

again Fortson, 2010 (2 ed.), 2004 (I ed.)

Do you even know the magnitude of stupidity oozing out of you? the absolute deluge of ignorance pouring from all sides. you better seek any help. I got neither energy nor will to outline all modern sources which emphasize Illyrian ancestry of Albanians - you can do this by yourself. but the way you interpret Forston's stance is downright ridiculous. He acknowledges Illyrian theory as the most likely as it makes sense on both historical and geographical grounds, whereas in following he rather refrain from taking any position regarding linguistics because of the paucity of Illyrian evidence. In following, Forston goes on to say the Latin borrowings in Albanian which took place since Roman occupation of Illyria:

ej1.png

You sore loser, you're jumping from one inaccuracy to the other with a lost head. Karl Kaser is mildly supportive to the Illyrian background of modern Albanians:

gip.png

Last but not least, it should not go without any mention the assertion of Sima Cirkovic, a respectable Serbian historian, who admits candidly that Albanians represent the old Illyrian populace which was lightly Romanized:

hej.png

Did Enver Hoxha pour a lot of monies on him hhahhahaha

This is the most rambling logic I've ever seen. Ok, I made an exaggeration because I've seen even worse but your unbridled ignorance deserves an honorable mention. For the life of me I don't get why such lousy efforts to obfuscate Illyrian origin of the Albanians, which is the most widespread conclusion reached by nearly all independent scholars tackling with Albanian. But our little Serbian friend seems ill at ease and tries desperately to point the contrary, yet all he can come up with is a bunch of uncorroborated sources in line with what he wants to hear. His woeful English riddled by his twisted logic makes him the laughing stock of all these boards.

Do you read what you post?

For example Karl Kaser:

ej1.png

Albanian forms its own separate branch of Indo-European; it is the last branch to appear in written record. This is one of the reasons why its origins are shrouded in mystery and controversy. The widespread assertion that it is the modern-day descendant of Illyrian, spoken in much same region during classical times, makes geographic and historical sense but is linguistically untestable since we know so little about Illyrian. Competing hypothesis, likewise untestable, would derive Albanian from Thracian, another lost ancient language from farther east than Illyrian, or from Daco-Mysian, a hypothetical mixture or ancestor of Thracian, Illyrian, and the nearly unknown language of Dacia.

It means:

- Albanian is last IE language in written record

- Albanian origin is shrouded by mystery and controversy

- Geographical sense is clear: Albanian today is spoken in southern part of Ancient Illyria. And what with this, it is same as: Slovenian is spoken in northern part of Ancient Illyria;

- It is much more important Karl Kaser argues it is unproven that Albanian is descendant of Illyrian; also it is unproven that Albanian is descendant of Thracian; also it is unproven that Albanian is descendant of Daco-Mysian etc.

Do you know what Karl Kaser writes?

Link Illyrian # Albanian is untestable, it means, hypothesis about link between Illyrian and Albanian exists, but hypothesis is not proven. It is same as hypothesis about link between Illyrian and Slovenian exists, but hypothesis is not proven.

You are loser, it is not offend, if you really think unproven hypothesis is true. Testing is how you find out if hypothesis is accurate or not. If it can't be tested, then you cannot know whether it is right or wrong.

Since the hypothesis is not proven we can do talk till tomorrow morning in the empty. The problem here, however, is not a discussion, but the imposition of the view that something that is unproven hypothesis is uncritically accepted as truth served and it becomes the subject of ethnic engineering, Karl Kaser clearly states:

fR0CEpF.jpg

Again. Hypothesis by ethnic engineers becomes dogma and “apsolute true” and with state leaders enter in educational process. Generation people who arise from this process think what they learned is true without doubt and critical thinking, and it becomes serious problem.

Do you read what you post?

For example Karl Kaser:

ej1.png

Albanian forms its own separate branch of Indo-European; it is the last branch to appear in written record. This is one of the reasons why its origins are shrouded in mystery and controversy. The widespread assertion that it is the modern-day descendant of Illyrian, spoken in much same region during classical times, makes geographic and historical sense but is linguistically untestable since we know so little about Illyrian. Competing hypothesis, likewise untestable, would derive Albanian from Thracian, another lost ancient language from farther east than Illyrian, or from Daco-Mysian, a hypothetical mixture or ancestor of Thracian, Illyrian, and the nearly unknown language of Dacia.

It means:

- Albanian is last IE language in written record

- Albanian origin is shrouded by mystery and controversy

- Geographical sense is clear: Albanian today is spoken in southern part of Ancient Illyria. And what with this, it is same as: Slovenian is spoken in northern part of Ancient Illyria;

- It is much more important Karl Kaser argues it is unproven that Albanian is descendant of Illyrian; also it is unproven that Albanian is descendant of Thracian; also it is unproven that Albanian is descendant of Daco-Mysian etc.

Link Illyrian # Albanian is untestable, it means, hypothesis about link between Illyrian and Albanian exists, but hypothesis is not proven. It is same as hypothesis about link between Illyrian and Slovenian exists, but hypothesis is not proven.

You are loser, it is not offend, if you really think unproven hypothesis is true. Testing is how you find out if hypothesis is accurate or not. If it can't be tested, then you cannot know whether it is right or wrong.

Since the hypothesis is not proven we can do talk till tomorrow morning in the empty. The problem here, however, is not a discussion, but the imposition of the view that something that is unproven hypothesis is uncritically accepted as truth served and it becomes the subject of ethnic engineering, Karl Kaser clearly states:

fR0CEpF.jpg

Again. Hypothesis by ethnic engineers becomes dogma and “apsolute true” and with state leaders enter in educational process. Generation people who arise from this process think what they learned is true without doubt and critical thinking, and it becomes serious problem.

Proven or not, the vast western scientific community accepts that albs descend from Illyrians.
The Slavic pseudo- scientific community privately accepts the Illyrian heritage of Albanians, but officially deny it. The bases of NATO bombing of Serbia among others was the need to save in endangered old European community.
There always be deniers but history, genetic is firm in Alb side.

Proven or not, the vast western scientific community accepts that albs descend from Illyrians.
The Slavic pseudo- scientific community privately accepts the Illyrian heritage of Albanians, but officially deny it. The bases of NATO bombing of Serbia among others was the need to save in endangered old European community.

Not privatly, officially they accept the continuity from illyrians to albanians. It's what they learn at their schools. The problem with servs is that in the forums they are transformed totally and start to discuss in this way. For them exist only speculative history.

I am not ruffling any feathers but this sonny boy has a bad case of the simples. He can't understand anything. I just can't wrap my mind how is it possible that after numerous efforts of mine to enlighten him, it's like talking to a brick wall, he gets just some more head scratching. Yet this Serbian nationalist has the audacity to challenge a widespread conclusion which is so well-received among all independent scholars with his run-of-the-mill drivels. Garrick is pissing against the wind as long as he is not incapable of processing anything worthy.

Yes I certainly do but the overriding problem is that your ain't bright to grasp what's being said. Am I obliged to translate the whole excerpt in Serbian?

gip.png

Karl Kaser opines that certain Illyrian communities who did not succumb to Romanization formed the core of Albanian population. case closed!

Generation people who arise from this process think what they learned is true without doubt and critical thinking

a pot calling the kettle black, never mind! In Serbia there have even been specially set up institutions to muddy the waters, murky the truth and trivialize as much as possible the autochthony of Albanian people, yet you can't produce anything substantial.

No.

I gave mostly Western sources.

In science untested and unproved hypothesis cannot be served trues, it doesn't matter where, it is same in science in West, or in East, or in North, or in South, or in Universe.

Albanians here critique Slavic sources for pseudoscience but we see in Western sources criticism Albanian pseudoscience, what is worse, pseudoscience was state project!

Stephanie Schwandner-Sievers, Bernd Jurgen
Albanian Identities: Myths and History

Indiana University Press, US

bzPTNg4.jpg

There are a lot of Slavic countries, they have resources, scientific base, incomparably higher than Albania, which has a fairly very small scientific possibilities in comparison with Slavic countries.

Therefore it is ridiculous that Albanians here in forum Polish, Slovenian, Czech, Slovak, Ukrainian, and all other Slavic scientific institutions and scientists subsumed as pseudoscience.

Marjeta Šašel Kos, Institute of Archaeology, Ljubljana:

Ethnic manipulations with ancient Veneti and Illirians

DPSKwx8.jpg

Dr Marijeta Šašel Kos clearly writes about pseudo-history and false identities, criticizing Albanian scientific circles for ethnic manipulation, also and Slovenian.

In a similar vein and Polish author:

Irena Sawicka, Institute of Slavic studies, Polish Academy of Science, Warshaw

A crossroad between West, East and Orient - The case of Albanian culture

3YR8ZdP.jpg

Author critique Albanian scientific circle that they are absolutely uncritical and that they favored the hypothesis which is absolutely impossible to verify.

We can find tone similar texts but it doesn't matter, a term used by Dr Marijeta Šašel Kos in title of her paper strikes right at the center.

No.

I gave mostly Western sources.

In science untested and unproved hypothesis cannot be served trues, it doesn't matter where, it is same in science in West, or in East, or in North, or in South, or in Universe.

Albanians here critique Slavic sources for pseudoscience but we see in Western sources criticism Albanian pseudoscience, what is worse, pseudoscience was state project!

Stephanie Schwandner-Sievers, Bernd Jurgen
Albanian Identities: Myths and History

Indiana University Press, US

bzPTNg4.jpg

There are a lot of Slavic countries, they have resources, scientific base, incomparably higher than Albania, which has a fairly very small scientific possibilities in comparison with Slavic countries.

Therefore it is ridiculous that Albanians here in forum Polish, Slovenian, Czech, Slovak, Ukrainian, and all other Slavic scientific institutions and scientists subsumed as pseudoscience.

Marjeta Šašel Kos, Institute of Archaeology, Ljubljana:

Ethnic manipulations with ancient Veneti and Illirians

DPSKwx8.jpg

Dr Marijeta Šašel Kos clearly writes about pseudo-history and false identities, criticizing Albanian scientific circles for ethnic manipulation, also and Slovenian.

In a similar vein and Polish author:

Irena Sawicka, Institute of Slavic studies, Polish Academy of Science, Warshaw

A crossroad between West, East and Orient - The case of Albanian culture

3YR8ZdP.jpg

Author critique Albanian scientific circle that they are absolutely uncritical and that they favored the hypothesis which is absolutely impossible to verify.

We can find tone similar texts but it doesn't matter, a term used by Dr Marijeta Šašel Kos in title of her paper strikes right at the center.

It was not Hoxha who proclaimed Illyrian origin of Albanians!
It was a Swedish linguist who noticed that 200 years before Hoxha was born.
The famous western scientists who deny Alb link to Illyrian do not provide an alternative for where Albs came from. They did not come out of a blue sky! The Thracian alternative of Alb origin which has merits to consider, is rejected on Grammatical basis. Alb grammar of speech do not accept Thracian word order.
Dako-mysian origin of Alb, proposed by some Slavic linguists, is rejected by Alb vocabulary, which contains pre-Christ Doric Greek words and pre-Christ Latin words. At that time Dacs had no connections with Greeks, nor with Latins.
The only one remains now is the one you like, Albs came from Caucasus.

Abeis

I expected more from you, this is disappointing.

Authors who are not Albanians, in the West and in the East, today are very careful, nothing is surely but only probably, possible, maybe, doubtful, questionable etc.

You can see author only writes about possibility, yes it is possible because geographical sense but it is unproved and untested (Kaser uses this term).

We know that hypothesis that South Illyrians (in North and Middle Albania) can have link with Albanian make sense, because geographical sense (Fortson uses this term) but we saw that hypothesis is only hypothesis, it is unproven and untestable.

(Who read Wilkes book for him or her is clear that inhabitants of Illyrian areas in Istria, Panonian plain, Western Serbia, Dalmatia and Bosnia nothing to do with today's Albanians, Wilkes left as possibility that connection exists only in the south of Illyria.)

It has same weight as hypothesis that Albanians came from Romania, or that Albanians had link with Thracians, Free Dacians etc. There are more hypothesis and all are unproved and untestable.

Albanians are mostly wrong to unproven and untested hypothesis tries them as truth, I gave more examples in serious scientific papers where the authors criticize this Albanian uncritical and blind opinion, what is worse proclamed by communist dictator Enver Hoxha.

Here is a key problem for researchers

McWorther

The story of human language

Albanian and Armenian: Black sheep.

Both have borrowed many words from other language groups: only about 1 in 12 Albanian words is native to the language and only about 1 in 4 Armenian ones. Both languages have also wended quite far along their own paths of development. Albanian wasn’t even discovered to be Indo-European until 1854, and Armenian was long thought to be a kind of Persian.

Baugh and Cable

History of the English language

Moreover, our knowledge of Albanian, except for a few words, extends back only as far as the fifteenth century of our era, and, when we first meet with it, the vocabulary is so mixed with Latin, Greek, Turkish, and Slavonic elements—owing to conquests and other causes—that it is somewhat difficult to isolate the original Albanian. For this reason its position among the languages of the Indo-European family was slow to be recognized. It was formerly classed with the Hellenic group, but since the beginning of the present century it has been recognized as an independent member of the family.

These authors speak what is problem, a lot of words Albanian borrowed from other languages and small part, one of twelve words, is Albanian. It is big barrier for researchers.

However today researchers use new technologies. Gray & Atkinson using phylogenetic approach got follow result:

family-tree.gif

Albanian and Indo-Iranian languages have same root. Where Proto Albanian could emerge in that case? In the Balkans? It means and Indic and Iranic emerged in the Balkans. No.

This thread has been viewed 334141 times.

Back