Mezolithic-Neolithic vs. Chalcolithic-Early Iron Age Y-DNA landscape of Europe

Probably if you dig in written records enough, you will find some.
I love this stuff, and disyphering human nature, my eyes and years are open. I'm yet to find this tribe. I don't perceiving that one human is better than the other. I just want to figure out why some fit better our western civilizations, like Japanese or Chinese, but some don't like HGs. My quest brings me to genetics.

And then you have long centuries for which no written records exist.
There is also archaeology and autosomal DNA. It is amazing what we learned about the past in last decade.

It is amazing what we learned about the past in last decade.

I think we are still learning. Number of ancient DNA samples has been hopelessly small so far.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tomenable
Why haven't gays get extinct already ??? After all, they do not pass their gay genes to next generations.
\

Arranged marriages, peer/family/religious pressure. Enough to make you do whatever community wants, or you will die.

Plus, the genetic predisposition may be passed through the female line.

But those peasants DID move to cities and became urban folks. So hunters COULD move to fields and become farmers. I did not claim that they were perfect farmers, like I do not claim that all urban folks can jump from skyscrapes to skyscraper like Spiderman. :)
Cities were only created by farmers, and obviously the way farmers could and were able to do. There are no cities created by HGs, whatever this could mean.

But Near Eastern admixture in Yamnaya samples was only about 20-25%. And also we don't really know the chronological order.

They could at first learn herding-farming from herders-farmers, and only then mix with them liberally, getting to those 20%.
Please find farming community with pure HG autosomal, either ancient or modern times.

Tomenable;457845]Farming was "invented" just in a few hotspots scattered throughout the world. It later spread not only through migrations of farmers, but also through cultural exchange. Just like gunpowder reached Europe not because Chinese people with gunpowder colonized Europe, but because the Mongols got it from the Chinese, the Muslims got it from the Mongols, and the Crusaders got it from the Muslims.

The example of farmer-hunter interaction patterns that you give, is from the 20th century - right?

Human interactions are complex and different in each instance. They cannot be reduced to a simple repetitive pattern

No, not always, but in this case the genetics proves that the ancient pattern was the same as the modern one.

For the past hundred years many archaeologists held that agriculture spread in Europe because hunter gatherers adopted farming mainly through cultural diffusion, like adopting the use of gunpowder, as you say, and there was basically population continuity, but ancient dna proves that this wasn't the case. Farming was not spread by cultural diffusion. It was spread by people.

As I said above, the people in the European Neolithic communities were totally different autosomally from the hunter-gatherers who had previously lived in those areas. Even the Neolithic men and women who carried hunter gatherer uniparental markers were autosomally Near Eastern farmers. A few hunter-gatherers were absorbed, and the rest died or fled to marginal land or lived in isolated communities. They didn't adopt farming. If they had we would be finding farming communities of autosomally Loschbour like people.

The ancient pattern is the same as the modern pattern. [/QUOTE]

And not just unwanted for sure.

Both exchanging females between 'tribes' and kidnapping females from other 'tribes' are practices dating back to prehistory.

Also 'expelling' excess males to other tribes is an ancient practice. Depending on mating patterns in local cultures, either 'excess' males or females leave a tribe and move to another tribe. The necessity of mixing 'blood' to avoid too much inbreeding was understood.

And I see no reason why farmers would exchange 'blood' only with other farmers and not with neighbouring hunters.

There are also many opportunities for cooperation between hunters and farmers - we could see that in the Americas.

HGs would trade animal-derived and 'gathered' products to farmers, in exchange for pottery, other items and food.

Yes, I know HGs would trade. The Amerindians would trade furs and sometimes food with the settlers for cloth and beads and metal tools and weapons. They still eventually got shunted on to marginal land, on the so called "reservations", or they lived as hangers on around European settlements. As to bride exchange, European settlers were certainly not eager to send their daughters to live in Indian camps, and even taking Indian women was only acceptable in the initial settlement periods when the settlers were often mostly men. Once the numbers started to really grow and women arrived, a type of apartheid started to be imposed. You see the same situation in places like South Africa as well as Latin America. When the Dutch arrived at the Cape they were mostly men. They took native women. Some of those children admixed with each other, forming the Coloured community. Some of them admixed into the thousands of Dutch settlers who started arriving. That's why you have "white" Afrikaners who find to their surprise that they carry an "African" mtDna or more rarely yDna, or a few percent of SSA autosomally. Admixture between the Dutch settlers and the "natives" became more and more rare.

None of us can know exactly what happened in pre-historic Europe, but we have the evidence of these kinds of interactions throughout history, and now we have ancient Dna, and they agree. Was there some incorporation of hunter gatherer dna? Yes, there was. I think it probably took place upon the initial encounter, but there's nothing to indicate that it was extensive and ongoing. Regardless, if there were a lot of hunter-gatherers around who adopted farming on their own there should be some sign of it in the form of communities of Loschbour like people who took up farming, and we haven't found it yet.

Looks like the were forced out of the forces and do everything to just survive.
[h=2]Heading needed[edit][/h]The Paliyan are not very willing agents of all this destruction; but with their traditional hunting - gathering economy no longer a practical proposition, they are dependent on forest produce collection for a living. As such, they have been directly responsible for the destruction of many species, including the cinnamon through bark collection. But now with only a small population of cinnamon trees surviving deep in the core of the forest, the Paliyan have informed the contractor that 'the cinnamon has been exhausted, and leave these trees alone'[citation
They only know how to gather the cinnamon, but don't know how to cultivate it, the way farmers do. Their men are not allowed to hunt in the forest anymore.

But those peasants DID move to cities and became urban folks. So hunters COULD move to fields and become farmers. I did not claim that they were perfect farmers, like I do not claim that all urban folks can jump from skyscraper to skyscraper like Spiderman. :)

But Near Eastern admixture in Yamnaya samples was only about 20-25%. And also we don't really know the chronological order.

They could at first learn herding-farming from herders-farmers, and only then mix with them liberally, getting to those 20%.

Indeed I sometimes feel a strange pressure to go out and roam over some wide area... :)

Haak et al modeling shows the Yamnaya can be modeled as 50% ancient Karelian like/50% Armenian like. Or, use Iraqi Jews for the Near Eastern component. I think that was even better. Still, 25% might be enough anyway.

I wonder why it is that I've never met a woman who wants to return to the good old days of living in a cave or hide shelter, eating half charred, half raw meat, walking for miles to get some berries and leaves, and having to pull up stakes at least every season to go to a new camp, all while either nauseously or heavily pregnant and/or with a baby at the breast and a few toddlers straggling behind. Gosh, we didn't know when we had it so good!

By the way, I have been enjoying the humor, gentlemen. :)

Not necessarily, there are many possible models leading to this scenario. For example such a simple model:

http://s2.postimg.org/vjgr8gpux/PIE_model.png

PIE_model.png

I had time to have closer look at your model. I have to admit that it presents a viable scenario. Probably more like the IE invaders could impose on locals. IE invaders were numerous warriors on horses.

Now we need to explain Neolithic Hungarian one. Where numerous G2a farmers pushed away few hunter gatherers, but yet lost their paternal chromosome to HGs.

LeBrok said:
There are no cities created by HGs, whatever this could mean.

There is at least one - it also happens to be the oldest city discovered so far, older than Jericho:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tell_Qaramel

"(...) Before the excavations began, it was assumed that permanent sedentary settlements would occur only in combination with the first farming of cereals, and the first domestication and keeping of animals such as sheep and goats, marking the start of the Neolithic period, part of a transition between the proto-Neolithic and Pre-Pottery Neolithic A cultures. However the remains of the structures uncovered at Tell Qaramel appear to be older than this, giving the first evidence of permanent stone-built settlement without signs of animal domestication or organised farming.[3][4] Particularly striking are the remains of a succession of five round, stone-built towers, each over 6 metres in diameter, with stone walls over 1.5m thick. These have been carbon-dated to between the eleventh millennium and 9650 BC. This dating makes the towers roughly two thousand years older than the stone tower found at Jericho, which was previously believed to be the oldest known tower structure in the world.[1] (...)"

That was probably possible due to exceptional abundance of wild plants and high density of wild animal population in the area.

It is argued that Australian Aborigines did not adopt farming, because there were no plants suitable to domesticate in Australia. This seems valid, given that Europeans have not domesticated any Australian plants so far, but brought their own plants to Australia.
Yep, do what fauna and flora gives you. Farming first happened in very suitable to farming places. Fertile crescent was always covered by fields of wheat. SE Asia covered in rice, and Meso America in corn. HGs in these places were harvesting these ubiquitous starches for thousands of years, till they "crossed the threshold" and started cultivating it, be in control. In my mind this "threshold" is right set of genetic predispositions. It is not a cultural or logical Eureka moment, but genetic readiness.

Going back to Aborigines. Why didn't they domesticated Kangaroos, or whatever else was delicious to eat there? Sometimes I wonder if there was ever domestication of animals without becoming a farmer first, more precisely, without getting farmer's genes first?

There is at least one - it also happens to be the oldest city discovered so far, older than Jericho:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tell_Qaramel

"(...) Before the excavations began, it was assumed that permanent sedentary settlements would occur only in combination with the first farming of cereals, and the first domestication and keeping of animals such as sheep and goats, marking the start of the Neolithic period, part of a transition between the proto-Neolithic and Pre-Pottery Neolithic A cultures. However the remains of the structures uncovered at Tell Qaramel appear to be older than this, giving the first evidence of permanent stone-built settlement without signs of animal domestication or organised farming.[3][4] Particularly striking are the remains of a succession of five round, stone-built towers, each over 6 metres in diameter, with stone walls over 1.5m thick. These have been carbon-dated to between the eleventh millennium and 9650 BC. This dating makes the towers roughly two thousand years older than the stone tower found at Jericho, which was previously believed to be the oldest known tower structure in the world.[1] (...)"

That was probably possible due to exceptional abundance of wild plants and high density of wild animal population in the area.
Doesn't 9650 BC fall at the beginning of farming in Near East? It is exactly when Younger Dryas ends.
Natufians, who lived in the area, were harvesting grains (perhaps not planting it yet) in big quantities at least 5 thousand years before that date. I had the latest article about them somewhere bookmarked, and I lost it. It was amazing how much variety and quantity of grains archeologists found in their huts.

The HG lifestyle often involves following animals for days, weeks or months before you catch and kill them.

"Doing fun stuff for a few hours then sleeping" is not always the case. Try to survive as a hunter-gatherer for several months.

Hunting is fun.

Ok, with time they can become farmers. After all those were hunters and gatherers who started farming, right?
Like herding is next step of hunting, farming is next step of gathering.

That to me is the interesting point. Given how historically HGs have resisted becoming farmers how could the transition occur naturally? I think it would have required a particularly good *static* food source which acted as an anchor making the local HGs semi-sedentary around that static food source.

(There's a cool documentary of two troops of monkeys fighting over a fig tree in Sri Lanka which i think symbolizes the idea.)

One candidate for that kind of food source might be fruit trees: figs, dates, apples, pears etc and those fruit trees start the process of domesticating humans.

Jericho is the sort of site I mean where there was apparently a permanent pre-farming settlement and lots of palm trees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho

edit: I read back from the beginning so missed people making the same point.

I had time to have closer look at your model. I have to admit that it presents a viable scenario. Probably more like the IE invaders could impose on locals. IE invaders were numerous warriors on horses.

Now we need to explain Neolithic Hungarian one. Where numerous G2a farmers pushed away few hunter gatherers, but yet lost their paternal chromosome to HGs.

I think it was just horses. The steppe HGs had horses and the HGs in other places didn't.

Hunting is fun.

Here is interesting documentary about one of Brazilian Jungle H-G tribe. Women are farmers, planting and harvesting tapioca, which provide most of tribal food, while men are still hunting, running, chanting, doing drugs and sleeping. Fun, fun, fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ4Obl-XbtI

Looks like they are in transitional phase. Women, the gatherers, were the first one who became farmers, while men were still hunting. Give them couple of thousand of years and men should "understand" value of farming.
Interestingly, they have pet animals, but no idea of herding.
Perhaps scenario goes like this, when women became farmers, men was still hunting for a while. Then men became farmers and didn't have time for long hunts. There was still need for meat proteins, so need for domestication of animals occurred. Men started herding around villages and fields, not to go away for long hunts, and away from farming crops. Herding was a necessity. After few thousands of years the roles blended and men and women farmed and herded together.
In the process, the right mutations were selected, to become better farmers and herders.

BTW - there was probably some kind of a "Black Death" plague in Neolithic Europe - check this article:

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2013/131001/ncomms3486/full/ncomms3486.html

Neolithic_demographics.png

That population collapse was few centuries before the spread of PIE cultures, so it wasn't caused by them.

It is possible that the percent of people with G2a in the total population declined during that plague.
You can see that every thousand of years there was a decline, for some reason. At 6000 BP, there were first signs of invasion from the Steppe. David Anthony mentioned that invaders rode horses, but before attacking a village, the disembark and attacked on foot. More than 1,000 years later when IE came they knew how to attack on horses.

But you have argued that people cannot even become "average" drivers without interbreeding with drivers first! So to get a driving licence, women must have sex with their driving instructors first! This even makes more sense than I initially thought... :LOL: :rolleyes:
Nope, driving was your unfortunate idea. I was talking about farming which has at least 10,000 years of evolution.
I never argued that there is no cultural aspect and that you can't teach H-G farming. You can, but he won't do it. He will suffer all day being a farmer, and he will go back to what he likes the most: roaming, hunting and fighting. That's his nature.

Please check some medical studies on health of hunters compared to health of early farmers - both modern and archaeological populations. Generally, hunters tend to be healthier and better nourished than primitive farmers. The advantage of farmers is that they can feed much more people, but each individual farmer has a less diverse diet (and less diverse means they will be undernourished or at least lack some nutrients in their food).
Changing environment always come with trade-offs. In our modern world we suffer obesity, debilities, bad teeth, back problems, etc. In spite of these health problems farming was more advantageous for them and their offspring. By natural standards, what counts is not the happiness of individual, but survival his/her offspring, or amount of genetic material transferred.
I remember reading an article about 3,000 year old mummies found in coastal Peru. Their main diet was variety of sea food. Average life span of these HGs was 30 years, and all of them had 5 types of worms. Brain worm, hook warm, tape worm, you name it. They were eaten alive.
Not only farmers suffered change of diet, but also many HGs when they moved to new environment, continent or started eating sea food.

Here is another Amazon tribe, the Suruwaha. They practice infanticide of sick kids to have " a perfect and healthy" population. They also commit suicide around age 35, to join their families in heaven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zosGI06sICY
I don't like this dramatizing host, but it is a great window on life of HGs.

This thread has been viewed 99605 times.

Back