Appearance of Sicilians relative to other Mediterraneans? (poll included)

Other than Italians, who is their best phenotypical match?

• Scandinavians (Swedes, Danes, etc.)

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Spaniards or Portuguese

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Greeks

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Caucasus (Armenia, Georgia)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Levant (Syria, Lebanon, Palestine)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • North Africa (Tunisia, Algeria, etc.)

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to take the middle point of view - Spaniards and Portuguese are neither like Irish or North Africans, but a SW European population whose looks are exactly as you expect given their location and genes.

I like to take the middle point of view - Spaniards and Portuguese are neither like Irish or North Africans, but a SW European population whose looks are exactly as you expect given their location and genes.

I agree, SW European / Atlantic primarily.

Anyone else have anything to add to the topic? I'll create a separate Spain/Portugal thread if we want to discuss that, too.

Perhaps it's not a good idea, since it's almost sure that some people will post with the worst of intentions to dark Spaniards. I like the idea, but the problem is that with some people it is imposible to have a serious discussion about this.

I'd prefer to continue the main thread normally, and it's okay for all.

Perhaps it's not a good idea, since it's almost sure that some people will post with the worst of intentions to dark Spaniards. I like the idea, but the problem is that with some people it is imposible to have a serious discussion about this.

I'd prefer to continue the main thread normally, and it's okay for all.

I agree, Knovas. Unfortunately there are too many malicious people in cyberspace given to the most absurd notions concerning Spaniards. It's the kind of behavior that can keep social psychologists very busy for years. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are taking notes here regularly. :LOL:

I just wanted to keep this thread on topic which is why I suggested creating a separate Iberian-themed thread. :)

¿What about the Maltese? I think there's not much genetic data, but they are probably quite similar compared to Southern Italians/Sicilians.

¿What about the Maltese? I think there's not much genetic data, but they are probably quite similar compared to Southern Italians/Sicilians.

Maltese, I believe, are even more Near Eastern than S. Italians / Sicilians.

Maltese, I believe, are even more Near Eastern than S. Italians / Sicilians.

The Maltese language has Arabic influences from North Africa. I would expect typical Phoenician markers.

I had a Maltese girlfriend. She and her family looked like the Sicilians posted in the pictures above.

Maltese people came from Sicily originally so they are probably pretty much the same people genetically.. the only reason their language is related to Arabic is because of a large settlement to Malta when Sicily was under Muslim rule.

The Maltest haplogroup profile is similar to that of Sicily. And autosomally there is a Maltese individual at Eurogenes, he clusters with South-Italians too.

I wouldn't expect Maltese to be any more Phoenician than Sicilians are, given that most Maltese came from Sicily anyway (which, btw, received Phoenician colonization as well). I have seen plenty of Maltese people and they look pretty much the same.

I've known two Maltese people in my life. One looked like a standard Southern Italian and the other Arabic.

Last round of pictures for this thread;

th_23.jpg
th_scurto.jpg
th_peccarisi_rimini.jpg
th_coco.jpg
th_parisi_ale.jpg
accardi_pie.jpg
perna_arm.jpg
tedesco_gia.jpg
raffaele-lombardo1.jpg
p9962708-5.jpg
Fichera.jpg
3959315086_21fe21422e.jpg
Sicily-Catania02.jpg
sicilysalemitrapani032or.jpg
sic21.jpg
sic17.jpg
sic15.jpg
sic11.jpg
sic10.jpg
sic3.jpg

Sicilians are very diverse and have many different phenotypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 51510 times.

Back