Illyrian-Albanian Continuity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I reply all your quotes in one? OK, Medieval Albanians were called by two names, although I'm still confused whether one named referred to the people, the other to the language. The first one was Arber or Arben depending on the dialect, and this is what Albanians outside Ottoman Albania still call themselves. There are the Arberesh (<Albanensis) in Italy, Arvanitika in Greece and Arbanasi(also oldest term recorded to refer to Albanian) in Croatia. They're all derived from the same root. It's pretty much agreed it's from Albanoi, but it's a loanword in very very early Albanian.

The other word used to refer to Medieval Albanians, although used more to refer to the language than the people, is Epirotean. In fact one of the oldest Albanian curses was pound in a play "Dramburi te clofto goglie" (I hope your mouth trembles [from sickness]), using Albanian orthography it would be "Dramburi te klofte golje", but standard Albanian form is "Tremburi te qofte goja". The people are not referred as Epirotean, but the language is. The medieval people referred both themselves and the language something that had the root arb-. Epirotean was very likely an exonym. http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.23...28&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21103894958891

The term Shqiperi on the other hand appeared very late, earliest mid 17th century, so please don't use the excuse Albanians don't use the term Albania to refer to their country therefore they can't be related. We used to. That's the name we're recorded with during our medieval history. It still refers to Albanians, just not in Albania.

Yeah, I agree I don't know why internet Albanians are so frightened at being part Thracian, it's learned in schools and normal people accept it. I have nothing to say about this. I-Albanians are quite contradicting to what's learned in elementary school. On scholar level, Mysi based on placenames, graves etc. followed the linguistic evolution of Albanian:
vc31.jpg

This is the last time in history Illyrians are attested. In roughly Mysan territory. But Mysan was related to Thracian https://encrypted.google.com/books?...d=0CEMQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=daco mysian&f=false So what, Thracians and Illyrians mingled together? Name mistaking? TBH I just wanted to clarify the Albania-Shqiperi debate, that's why I posted here, I don't care how you interpret that, or why is that map like that. I did not make it. That and I wanted to explain how the Balkan history has been a mess for a looong time.

The only thing that's sure of the origin of Albanians is Proto-Albanians did not originate from somewhere outside the Balkans.

Calling all the Eastern Romanian languages Romanian it's not the right way. It's like denying Mozarabic a place in the Romance family and calling it Spanish. Aromanians are a weird group and cannot be classified as one. The thing is their genetic analyses puts them all in different branches. There is nothing that unites all Aromanian people, they resemble the most the population they reside next to. It's a blanket term. There are several different Aromanians residing in several different countries. They're not the same.

As far as I know Arber or Arben don't mean anything in albanian language. Only shqiptar means something from the word shqipe which means eagle in albanian. You say Arber and Arben are derived from albanoi and they're loanwords. If serbs decide to loan the word greek tomorrow and call themselves greek, that doesn't make them descendants of greeks. If albanians decided to loan the word Arber, Arben or Albanian from albanoi, that doesn't make them descendants of the albanoi

The name "Alba" seems to have been originally applied to Britain by the Romans because of the white cliffs of Dover, and in some documents they referred to it as "Albion". However, it is true that some Scottish people later used the name to refer to Scotland specifically. The word "alba" does seem to be an old IE word meaning "white", and since mountains often have snow on their peaks year round, because of the high altitude, it's not surprising that the name would come to be associated with mountains, IMO.

I wouldn't try to decide whether the Albanians were or weren't descended from some ancient group of people based on a name such as "Albanian" or "Illyrian". Tribes and nations have often been called by different names over the centuries, and sometimes the same name can be applied to completely different people (e.g. "Prussian", depending on the time context, can refer to either Baltic or German folk).

You are right Aberdeen, you can't decide if Albanians descend from some ancient group of people based only on a name. I'll give you some further info. Illyrians were romanised linguistically by romans after they were finally conquered in 168 BC. If albanians descend from illyrians, shouldn't albanians speak a romance language? Albanian language doesn't have native sea terms. If albanians lived along the adriatic, shouldn't albanian language have native marine terms? Albanian language is satem, illyrian was centum. Check these links for further info
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slZUDZUc_-8
Also the burden to prove descent from a certain people is on the ones who want to prove descent from that certain people. If you want to prove descent from a certain people you have to provide concrete, scientific evidence

Last edited:
You are right Aberdeen, you can't decide if Albanians descend from some ancient group of people based only on a name. I'll give you some further info. Illyrians were romanised linguistically by romans after they were finally conquered in 168 BC. If albanians descend from illyrians, shouldn't albanians speak a romance language? Albanian language doesn't have native sea terms. If albanians lived along the adriatic, shouldn't albanian language have native marine terms? Albanian language is satem, illyrian was centum. Check these links for further info
Also the burden to prove descent from a certain people is on the ones who want to prove descent from that certain people. If you want to prove descent from a certain people you have to provide concrete, scientific evidence

Names are blanket terms, focus on copper/bronze/iron age cultures instead. No we don't have to speak a Romance langauge, we escaped romanization. It happens, it's a baseless argument. Illyrian people were not one, and shouldn't be treated as one. Not one langauge either. Dalmatians are fascianting group of people, but they're not the only representaive of "Illyrians". There were Illyrians living in the interior of the Balkans, there were Thraco-Dacian in the Adriatic coast. Borders did not exist in the modern sense.

Yes, and as we know from linguistics Krasnichi is Slavic surname Krasnich thatwas just Albanized :) Montenegrins remember those times.

Unfortunately for you, Krasniq-i is a pure Albanian ethnonym and it is the result after the corruption of the word Kreshnik, since the Ghegs retains the nasal vowels of late Proto-Albanian and the late Proto-Albanian plus a nasal remains â

e.g. nente(tosk) -----nândë(gheg)-------( "nine")

kreshnik(tosk)-----krâshnik(gheg)

Its meaning n Albanian is: a giant hero with supernatural powers.

Kreshnik m.
  1. Hero epik i rapsodive tona popullore, që paraqitet me trup të madh, me forcë të jashtëzakonshme e me veti përrallore, që kryen vepra heroizmi për mbrojtjen e vendit dhe të popullit. Çetat e kreshnikëve. Këngët e kreshnikëve.
    2. lart. Trim i madh me shpirt të paepur e fisnik, që kryen vepra të lartaheroizmi; fatos, hero. Kreshnikët e maleve

The ending transformation k-->q is normal in Albanian, when you switch fromsingular to plural:

mik---miq
fik----fiq

lak--leqe
etc.

Reactions: FBS
Unfortunately for you, Krasniq-i is a pure Albanian ethnonym and it is the result after the corruption of the word Kreshnik, since the Ghegs retains the nasal vowels of late Proto-Albanian and the late Proto-Albanian plus a nasal remains â e.g. nente(tosk) -----nândë(gheg)-------( "nine") kreshnik(tosk)-----krâshnik(gheg) Its meaning n Albanian is: a giant hero with supernatural powers. The ending transformation k-->q is normal in Albanian, when you switch fromsingular to plural: mik---miq fik----fiq lak--leqe etc.
Yes, and an Albanian with the clan Krasniqi was tested and came out E-V13 Y-DNA typical Albanian haplo.

Unfortunately for you, Krasniq-i is a pure Albanian ethnonym and it is the result after the corruption of the word Kreshnik, since the Ghegs retains the nasal vowels of late Proto-Albanian and the late Proto-Albanian plus a nasal remains â

The ending transformation k-->q is normal in Albanian, when you switch fromsingular to plural:

mik---miq
fik----fiq

lak--leqe
etc.

Curiously, The Red Square in Moskva is actually Krasnaya Ploschad' or beautiful, where "ploschad'" is should be recognizable as Plaza. Terms krasnaya devitsa (beautiful girl) and krasniy molodets (outstanding man) were used previously. Men would ware red shirts (krasnaya rubaha) for celebrations - some sort of link. :unsure:

Curiously, The Red Square in Moskva is actually Krasnaya Ploschad' or beautiful, where "ploschad'" is should be recognizable as Plaza. Terms krasnaya devitsa (beautiful girl) and krasniy molodets (outstanding man) were used previously. Men would ware red shirts (krasnaya rubaha) for celebrations - some sort of link. :unsure:

Some words in different languages could share the same spelling or even the pronunciation but they not necessary have the same meanings. Example
trim(alb)=brave(eng)
trim(eng)= To make neat or tidy by clipping, smoothing, or pruning

mik---miq
fik----fiq

lak--leqe
etc.

Unfortunately for you Krasnici sounds just like that in Slavic languages. No corruption, not one letter.

Montenegrins have it written down - there were 5 brothers - Ozro, Pipo, Vaso, Kraso and Oto. From them became families of Ozrinici, Piperi, Vasojevici, Krasnici, and Hoti (the last two Albanized later). There are some speculations that they are not Montenegrin, because part of offspring of Ozrinic family declared as Vlachs (Aromanians) at one time.

Consensus is that all 5 families were Montenegrin in medieval age, and that they may have been Vlach, but were surely never Albanian.

Unfortunately for you Krasnici sounds just like that in Slavic languages. No corruption, not one letter.

Montenegrins have it written down - there were 5 brothers - Ozro, Pipo, Vaso, Kraso and Oto. From them became families of Ozrinici, Piperi, Vasojevici, Krasnici, and Hoti (the last two Albanized later). There are some speculations that they are not Montenegrin, because part of offspring of Ozrinic family declared as Vlachs (Aromanians) at one time.

Consensus is that all 5 families were Montenegrin in medieval age, and that they may have been Vlach, but were surely never Albanian.
What you are stating here is basically a 19th century romanticized version of the "Montenegrin" history.

we are no more sure Illyrian was a 'centum' language - some recent theories, after discarding the unity of roman Illyricum, think illyrian was rather a 'satem' language close enough to thracian and dacian-mysian - 3 languages seem having been spoken in the great Illyriicum (it's true based ore upon anthroponymes than upon an extensive vocabulary - in north a language close to venetic - the second, I don't know - the third, apparently the genuine illyrian, in a litlle zona corresponding to greek naming of three tribes, N-W of Greece: Taulentians, Enkhelai, Piraeiaccording to Bernard Sergent-
concerning maritime lexicon, we could figure out a maritime band of lands latinized and an illyrian speaking region, inland, loosing its maritime lexicon by isolation and fragmentation into little mountainous clans without no more central power?

we are no more sure Illyrian was a 'centum' language - some recent theories, after discarding the unity of roman Illyricum, think illyrian was rather a 'satem' language close enough to thracian and dacian-mysian - 3 languages seem having been spoken in the great Illyriicum (it's true based ore upon anthroponymes than upon an extensive vocabulary - in north a language close to venetic - the second, I don't know - the third, apparently the genuine illyrian, in a litlle zona corresponding to greek naming of three tribes, N-W of Greece: Taulentians, Enkhelai, Piraeiaccording to Bernard Sergent-
concerning maritime lexicon, we could figure out a maritime band of lands latinized and an illyrian speaking region, inland, loosing its maritime lexicon by isolation and fragmentation into little mountainous clans without no more central power?

Illyrians were a "nation" whose appearance is evident only in mythological stories in the Medieval Christian Books. Our knowledge about their language, origin and history is close to nothing. Their appearance and disappearance in the "history" is so mysterious and doesn't justify a normal acceptance under strict historical terms. Most likely they were a state or a temporary province in the history, and their name might not be necessary connected with an ethnical group and compared to a solid ethnic nation like Albanians today. Albanians forefather were the EPIROTES, and if we are determined to take the ancient stories for true, their nation was established there from Pyrrhus the son of Achilles. Differently from the Slavic "nations" whose their patriarchs were the local Bulgarian theocrats, Albanians owe their origin to individuals who were proud of their genes, and not to their church or religious patriarchs.

The Position of Albanian - Eric P. Hamp
Again, Illyrian (pp. 32-34) Occupies Illyria, Dalmatia, and Southern Pannonia. Here we find Delme (delme 'mouton'; the ordinary form is dele, and we may wonder where other such forms are found), Ulc-(ulk, ujk 'loup'). Daco-Mysian supposedly penetrated Illyria and Dalmatian by the first millennium B.C. Also, Venetic and Keltic came in from the northwest, thus giving an analyst a wide range of possible alternatives. This would allegedly explicate the two traditional conception of "Illyrian": Hirt, Krahe, Baric, Pokorny, Popovic (centum), versus Kretchmer, Jokl, Ribezzo, Pisany, Mayer (satem, with an ingridient of centum).

"Illyrian" was many langauges, some might have been satem, some might have been centum, I'm going as far as saying there might have even been non-IE langauges spoken there (we have no conclusive proof). There were at least five languages spoken, not counting Dacian, Thracian and Greek colonies. There were certanely different cultures according to archeological evidence. that's not to say they were segregated.

The Illyrian Propi Dictii, which we will use from now on to refer to the Illyrian language, the one you're talking about, was spoken in what today is Albania and Montenegro, north from Greek speakers, south from Dalmatian speakers. That's not to say they were segregated, there were transitional zones between the three. There were zones where Greeks and Illyrians coexisted, there were zones where Dalmatians and Illyrians coexisted. And minor tribes that were neither Greek, nor Illyrian, or Dalmatian, but let's not make it more complicated than already is.

I didn't even talk about the eastern border, but the situation is similar, just different names.

"Illyrian" was many langauges, some might have been satem, some might have been centum, I'm going as far as saying there might have even been non-IE langauges spoken there (we have no conclusive proof). There were at least five languages spoken, not counting Dacian, Thracian and Greek colonies. There were certanely different cultures according to archeological evidence. that's not to say they were segregated.

The Illyrian Propi Dictii, which we will use from now on to refer to the Illyrian language, the one you're talking about, was spoken in what today is Albania and Montenegro, north from Greek speakers, south from Dalmatian speakers. That's not to say they were segregated, there were transitional zones between the three. There were zones where Greeks and Illyrians coexisted, there were zones where Dalmatians and Illyrians coexisted. And minor tribes that were neither Greek, nor Illyrian, or Dalmatian, but let's not make it more complicated than already is.

I didn't even talk about the eastern border, but the situation is similar, just different names.
Don't confuse people! Illyrian was one language, probably some dialects. Dalmatians were Illyrians. Dalmatian is a proved Illyrian word coming from Delme=(Sheep) as it is Dardania coming from Dardhe=(pear) There is not clear cut case for Illyrian stem or cenum. It fits well in both sides.

But Montenegrins are just slavized albanians. This is an fact, everybody know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 486511 times.

Back