Interesting Maps and Graphs

Genetics of Chickpeas.

There's something so amusing to me about this, considered I'm used to looking at ancient Humans.

ZZxJrgI.jpg

my favorite Ethiopian dish is made from powdered chikcpeas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiro_(food)

Genetics of Chickpeas.

There's something so amusing to me about this, considered I'm used to looking at ancient Humans.

ZZxJrgI.jpg

Love, love, love them. Make tuna, chickpea (or bean), cherry tomato and onion salad for lunch at least once a week in summer.The rest of the seasons I eat them and beans (cannellini, borlotti, navy) in soup, either pasta/fagioli or with greens, lots of garlic and chicken stock in a soup. Make a sort of Italian version of cassoulet with them too, and my husband loves our Tuscan fagioli all'uccelletto.

search

Largest trading partner of each european country.

Germany achieved, through the strength of its industry and economy, what it did not achieve militarily in the 20th century: to conquer Europe. Today it is its major economic power. It remains to be seen whether in geopolitical terms it will reach the same level, because today it is still a dwarf.

Nkx0UbO.png

Largest trading partner of each european country.

Germany achieved, through the strength of its industry and economy, what it did not achieve militarily in the 20th century: to conquer Europe. Today it is its major economic power. It remains to be seen whether in geopolitical terms it will reach the same level, because today it is still a dwarf.

Nkx0UbO.png

The Marshall plan was good for Germany.

The Marshall plan was good for Germany.

The Marshall plan contributed to the rebuilding of post war West Germany's, but on a much smaller scale than we usually think.
Some have estimated that aid from the Marshall Plan contributed less than 5% to West Germany's national income during this time period.
So its a myth that was the Marshall Plan that made the main contribution to the rebuilding of West Germany.

And West Germany was not even the biggest recipient of aid, the UK and France received higher amounts, and they did not achieve the economic success that West Germany achieved.

The main reasons for the West Germany Wirtschaftswunder (economic miracle) were the policies of Ludwig Erhard (Minister of Economics), the currency reform, ending price controls, the introduction of the social market economy (this economic system combined free-market principles with a strong social safety net), the "Gastarbeiter" program (the availability of a workforce), investment in infrastructure (roads, bridges, and other…), tax cuts, etc.

https://fee.org/articles/the-myth-that-the-marshall-plan-rebuilt-germanys-economy-after-wwii/

The Marshall plan contributed to the rebuilding of post war West Germany's, but on a much smaller scale than we usually think.
Some have estimated that aid from the Marshall Plan contributed less than 5% to West Germany's national income during this time period.
So its a myth that was the Marshall Plan that made the main contribution to the rebuilding of West Germany.
And West Germany was not even the biggest recipient of aid, the UK and France received higher amounts, and they did not achieve the economic success that West Germany achieved.
The main reasons for the West Germany Wirtschaftswunder (economic miracle) were the policies of Ludwig Erhard (Minister of Economics), the currency reform, ending price controls, the introduction of the social market economy (this economic system combined free-market principles with a strong social safety net), the "Gastarbeiter" program (the availability of a workforce), investment in infrastructure (roads, bridges, and other…), tax cuts, etc.
https://fee.org/articles/the-myth-that-the-marshall-plan-rebuilt-germanys-economy-after-wwii/
Much of Germany's old infrastructure was destroyed, like Japan. Which gave them an opportunity to start from scratch with better planning for a modern society.

Shockingly, less than 50% of Germans are property owners.

Perception of hierarchy, a clear difference between North and South Europe:

And the supposed relationship with happiness, the role of maritiem cultures in Europe etc:
https://personal.eur.nl/veenhoven/Pub2010s/2012e-full.pdf

Imo you can even see a clear split in the Netherlands for example the North Dutch are very maritime, are imo much more close to the Danish. The South Dutch were part of the Roman Empire so were partly Latin influenced.

Last edited:
More nonsensical social science studies based not on any objective criteria but instead on groundless assumptions and biases and a lack of any in depth understanding of other cultures.

Just one case in point about a people and culture I know intimately. Italians love to complain, moan and groan about everything. How are things going? Terrible. My health is awful, especially my liver; my husband is not acting normally, maybe it's that pretty young new assistant that's to blame; my son's wife is a terrible housekeeper and she's not teaching my grandchild to respect them; the country is going to collapse any day now, etc.

You get the picture.

My German and Irish friends, good friends I might add. How are things going? Fine, great. Everything is right on track. Many beers or Cosmos later: everything is just ****; I think Chris may lose his job, Chris Jr. is constantly stoned, I just feel so depressed and hopeless.

If you ask them if they're happy. Number 1 is going to say no, Number 2 is going to say yes.

Is either one an accurate reflection of reality, or is it just life.

I'll also add that if everybody is sober and at a family or friend get together, I know which group "looks" happier. :) I also know which groups suffer more from depression and the alcoholism which is partly an attempt to lessen it.

Same goes for those nonsense studies about individualism. Northerners are, imo, far less individualistic and more group oriented than southerners, and easier to brainwash to the societal norm as a result. The difference is between the controlling norms being the tribe or the family.

I'd also remind everyone that most social science studies CANNOT be replicated. That's especially true for studies like this. It's like Freudianism. It's not science; it's like a religion.

So, please, spare us.

More nonsensical social science studies based not on any objective criteria but instead on groundless assumptions and biases and a lack of any in depth understanding of other cultures.

Just one case in point about a people and culture I know intimately. Italians love to complain, moan and groan about everything. How are things going? Terrible. My health is awful, especially my liver; my husband is not acting normally, maybe it's that pretty young new assistant that's to blame; my son's wife is a terrible housekeeper and she's not teaching my grandchild to respect them; the country is going to collapse any day now, etc.

You get the picture.

My German and Irish friends, good friends I might add. How are things going? Fine, great. Everything is right on track. Many beers or Cosmos later: everything is just ****; I think Chris may lose his job, Chris Jr. is constantly stoned, I just feel so depressed and hopeless.

If you ask them if they're happy. Number 1 is going to say no, Number 2 is going to say yes.

Is either one an accurate reflection of reality, or is it just life.

I'll also add that if everybody is sober and at a family or friend get together, I know which group "looks" happier. :) I also know which groups suffer more from depression and the alcoholism which is partly an attempt to lessen it.

Same goes for those nonsense studies about individualism. Northerners are, imo, far less individualistic and more group oriented than southerners, and easier to brainwash to the societal norm as a result. The difference is between the controlling norms being the tribe or the family.

I'd also remind everyone that most social science studies CANNOT be replicated. That's especially true for studies like this. It's like Freudianism. It's not science; it's like a religion.

So, please, spare us.

I recognize much in this study, hierarchy is indeed more present in Latin cultures/countries than in the Northern cultures/countries (based on facts and figures).

Hierarchy in fishing societies
Fishing societies developed in places close to the sea, where fish providedan additional source of subsistence. These societies are also quiteegalitarian, among other things because exploitation by warriors is less easyin this case.

Hierarchy in maritime societies
Maritime societies developed from fishing societies, taking advantage oftheir strategic situation to develop trading and commerce. Egalitarianismcontinued in this phase, again because this way of existence involves lessvulnerability to dominance by others.

4.2 Feudal heritage stronger in the South, maritime heritage stronger in theNorth

In this context we can make sense of the present day difference in hierarchy across the Northern and Latin countries of Europe. When societies drifted away from the hunter gatherer type of society, the Latin and NorthernEuropean areas seem to have followed somewhat different paths, due to different geographical and demographical constraints. Conditions inNorthern Europe were more suited for the fishing and the maritime track, as appeared in the flourishing Viking societies before the Middle Ages and in maritime expansion of England and the Netherlands following the MiddleAges. More hierarchical agricultural-based societies came to dominate inLatin Europe and this appears in a greater concentration of landownership and greater dominance of church and nobility. This is likely to have anchored hierarchy more strongly in the culture of Latin societies, where as the original human bent to equality has been better preserved in NorthernEuropean countries.

I see myself- to a large extent- as standing in this maritime heritage!

I recognize much in this study, hierarchy is indeed more present in Latin cultures/countries than in the Northern cultures/countries (based on facts and figures).

I see myself- to a large extent- as standing in this maritime heritage!

Please re-read what you wrote and then READ ABOUT THE MARITIME REPUBLICS OF GENOVA, VENEZIA, PISA, and even AMALFI.

Where do you think maritime trade first reappeared after the fall of Rome? In the MARITIME REPUBLICS of Italy, for crying out loud.

My God, the utter ignorance of European history on display is absolutely mind-boggling..

Please re-read what you wrote and then READ ABOUT THE MARITIME REPUBLICS OF GENOVA, VENEZIA, PISA, and even AMALFI.

Where do you think maritime trade first reappeared after the fall of Rome? In the MARITIME REPUBLICS of Italy, for crying out loud.

My God, the utter ignorance of European history on display is absolutely mind-boggling..

Taken from the other way around is it coincidence that these maritime regions/places became a republic? I don't think so.And although very prominent, they remIN on the whole of Italy, pretty restricted spots with a very large feudal, agricultural inland. Latifundia.

Nevertheless that the power distances are different in Northern Europe compared to Southern/ Latin Europe is certainly a thing, and something that most Europeans know without this study is also true.

May be the verbal expression 'crying out loud' vs more moderate, tempered is another one?

Last edited:

You get the picture.

Even more in my region it's when you ask how are you doing? Oh all well, could be less....(and that means very good). Absolute understated. When you start with complaining they look at you and are nodding with words like "old wief!" (old wife).

and these kind of caps lock and "crying out loud" "absolutely mind boggling":

....are in my culture immediately seen as an insult, as outrageous...and/or as a pose not to be taken serious (as over the top).

So different social codes.

May be:
https://culturewg.wordpress.com/201...f-europe-a-gap-or-just-a-beautiful-challenge/

Please. I guess if calling someone's argument mind boggling is considered a huge insult, the Dutch must save all their rudeness for when they travel abroad. Dutch people are known all over Europe for their rudeness and insults, although to be fair their cheapness also grates on locals. Some of them even bring POTATOES in their camper vans so they don't have to buy absolutely anything in another country. I saw an entire thread on twitter with dozens of posts, perhaps hundreds by now, from people all over Europe about the rudeness of Dutch tourists.

Btw, it's a very common ploy used by bad debaters, when it's shown that they're wrong, to ignore the topic and look for something else as a retort. Bad form. The proper thing to do, when you lose an argument, is to leave the field silently and with dignity if you don't have the grace to say, yes, you're right, I didn't know that.

Please. I guess if calling someone's argument mind boggling is considered a huge insult, the Dutch must save all their rudeness for when they travel abroad. Dutch people are known all over Europe for their rudeness and insults, although to be fair their cheapness also grates on locals. Some of them even bring POTATOES in their camper vans so they don't have to buy absolutely anything in another country. I saw an entire thread on twitter with dozens of posts, perhaps hundreds by now, from people all over Europe about the rudeness of Dutch tourists.

Btw, it's a very common ploy used by bad debaters, when it's shown that they're wrong, to ignore the topic and look for something else as a retort. Bad form. The proper thing to do, when you lose an argument, is to leave the field silently and with dignity if you don't have the grace to say, yes, you're right, I didn't know that.

You must admit that there are more subtile ways than with caps lock and "crying out loud" ;)

And reading some of your posting I thought New Amsterdam have left it trace in what is now called New York City.

Yes the Dutch have a reputation of being to honest to be polite.Can sometimes be seen as blunt. At the same time, there may also be less double standards. Every disadvantage has its advantage and vice versa.

And who says I lose an argument. Do you decide that? Speaking of blunt.... The hierarchy differences in Europe have been well researched (see also the figures above) and can also be substantiated with common sense. And that social hierarchy also has to do with the ability to determine your own life is also true and that there is a relationship here with happiness is not strange, it really has nothing but nothing with alleged "Freudianism. It's not science; it's like a religion. " Is imo complete chatter.

And that a few maritime republics do not determine the overall picture apparently escapes you completely. You have no reply at all to the fact that social hierarchy, feudalism and Latifundia have determined the image in Southern Europe more than in North Europe. Because that's just a matter of fact Angela, is it so hard to admit that?

Last edited:
NB that POTATOE story (again with tabloid letters) is very characteristic of your knowledge of Europe, this is 2023 not 1973, you apparently have a completely outdated image of Europeans in casu Dutch. You have judgments about us when you have never been there only met a few tourists...in the seventies. A while ago you stated that Europeans should not judge Americans. Because we don't live there and don't know the people well, etc. Well, don't do that the other way around, with those completely out of time stories. Too silly meanwhile. Please spare us, dixit Angela.

Last edited:
Much of Germany's old infrastructure was destroyed, like Japan. Which gave them an opportunity to start from scratch with better planning for a modern society.

Shockingly, less than 50% of Germans are property owners.

I know people who own properties in Germany and the headaches involved with that help me understand why many who have a few hundred K in the bank have been renting for decades. They simply don't want to deal with the inconveniences involved. For example: A friend of mine just got another letter from the government about one of his properties. He doesn't live in Germany and isn't currently there. Apparently some weeds started growing on the sidewalk in front of his house and the law requires HIM to get rid of those. Mind you, the amount of weeds is minimal, but hey... law is law. So having to pay the fine, hiring a company from afar, dealing with who knows what else... it isn't just about the taking care of part, but also dealing with bureaucracy in general. Something simple that shouldn't be an issue at all can take a couple of days to deal with.

I know people who own properties in Germany and the headaches involved with that help me understand why many who have a few hundred K in the bank have been renting for decades. They simply don't want to deal with the inconveniences involved. For example: A friend of mine just got another letter from the government about one of his properties. He doesn't live in Germany and isn't currently there. Apparently some weeds started growing on the sidewalk in front of his house and the law requires HIM to get rid of those. Mind you, the amount of weeds is minimal, but hey... law is law. So having to pay the fine, hiring a company from afar, dealing with who knows what else... it isn't just about the taking care of part, but also dealing with bureaucracy in general. Something simple that shouldn't be an issue at all can take a couple of days to deal with.

Nice example of cultural difference within Europe, Royal Dutch Airlines KLM and Air France are one company but the cultural differences are marked within this alliance, a 'secret' report from a few years ago.

Volkskrant 18-7-'17

Cultural differences
It was already known that Air France and KLM find themselves in a difficult marriage. The French pilots are angry that KLM is growing faster than Air France. The Dutch, in turn, believe that the French have themselves to blame for putting off austerity measures and going on strike instead. In 2016, KLM recorded almost twice as much operating profit as Air France (372 million) at 681 million euros. This raises the question of what KLM actually benefited from the merger.

Nevertheless, the conclusions of the report are alarming. The problems go deeper than a conflict about business operations, the researchers show: two different cultures prevail in the merged company that clash sharply with each other. According to one KLM manager, France is 'a kind of Greece, but bigger'. "The French economy is a time bomb and Air France is a time bomb." The Air France managers, in turn, think that the Dutch are haughty and are much too rough to deal with.

Own sake
Both sides think that the other only thinks of self-interest. "At Air France we look at what is best for the whole," say the French managers. 'At KLM, it is primarily about KLM's interests.' But according to the Dutch, the French are busier with their own skin. The viscous decision-making on the French side is also criticized. “If you want to spend 10,000 euros at Air France, you first have to get on your knees four times and collect six signatures. '

According to the researchers, the French have a simplistic view of their Dutch colleagues. They are seen as hungry for money and capable of anything to actually rake in that money. The Dutch believe that the French at Air France-KLM are too concerned with political games and not enough with the company's interests. However, these caricatures, the researchers write, are not set in stone. They hope that the now leaked report can be a start for restoring trust between the parties.

The Jewish diaspora 1st and 2nd centuries AD:

IMG_9777.JPG

This thread has been viewed 87841 times.

Back