My average faces by countries (composite/morphes)

i hope julia90 don't feel offended by this because is an impressibe job what she did. but this "study" is simply ridiculous. you don't see a good representation of each population by morphing some players of their national team of football.

it does show averages traits you can find in a population, i think they are useful and representative.
for example the average of italy is different of the average of russia, or sweden.

Not representative of Greece either. I can give as many examples of Greeks who are red haired & blue eyed, blonde & blue eyed, dark and blue eyed, brown haired & green eyed, both white & dark skinned.

I can't agree with categorisation, stereotyping or like to indulge in gross generalisations. The only thing these photos are representative of is themselves.

PS And how come all the photos in threads like this are of beautiful people? Are really attractive people representative of any population? I'd say no, they are an extreme minority.
i think he's representative of the averages and most diffised facial traits you find in greece. he's different from the extremes he's the average of greece.

But for what do you think it is useful?
I just had a look on your blog again and I think you did some interesting and great work! (y)
But still I don't get the sense behind it. You said you are so obsessed with looks and faces at one point. Why? :)

because there are genetic differences (and also on facial look, and phisical look too) on people from different places.

That was not the answer to my question. I will try to put it differently again: Why is it important to know the average of faces of different places? For movies, for marketing, for medical research, for forensic etc...? Or just for fun?

i think it's just my interest on the genetic variability you find in some places and in others, when i go abroad i notice the differences in look with italy, it's interesting to know the ethnicities of the people and the common look we see in them.
i think is just for my personal interest and for the people who have my same interest

do you find them representatives of their ethnicities?

Well, to put it this way: The interesting thing is, from my very point of view, that when you morph all the footballplayers of certain countries to one average together, I think they all get more similiar to each other. Except for the one of Turkey, they could all easily pass as German in the streets Germany, without getting noticed. If they said they are German, everyone here would believe them:

Scotland

12 images

England

36 images

France

16 images

Netherlands

8 images

Sweden

12 images

Greece

24 images

Turkey

16 images

italy

48 images

Argentine

32 images

Spain

96 images

Spain
24 images

Only the morph of Turkey is one exception, but only due to his darker skin. If his skin was lighter, he could pass as German, too. And I guess this also applies for other European countries.

But why would someone want to morph all footballplayers together? There is not the Italian, but there are many types of Italians which are all typical for the country. And this is what I think the richness of a nation is about: variety!

i think the italian couldn't pass as german, there are dark haired germans but their facial features are different, darker germans are of celtic origin.

i'd say those who can pass as germans are the scottish, english, french, duch, swedish, and the last spanish who is of mostly basque players.

This Italian morph above could pass as German! Even if he doesn't look typical German, and some might say "you look somewhat Italian", still they wouldn't doubt that he really is German if he said so.

this is much better: http://www.mediadump.com/hosted-id167-average-faces-from-around-the-world.html

Argentine.jpg

(you can see other nationalities in the same link. they are more representative)

well some italians could pass as germans other (the majority, i'd say no.)

people like these (italians) couldn't pass as germans of german origins, but as german of other origins (immigrants)
caterina_balivo.jpg

Luca-Argentero.jpg

Laura+Pausini.jpg

while these italian could pass as germans:
Licia%20Col%C3%B2.jpg

alessia-merz_3.preview.jpg

antonacci%20cover01.jpg

MAGGIO--400x300.jpg

here's in my opinion a cross of look, celtic-germanic look plus mediterranean, east mediterranean look, balkanic:

Lisa Eldelstein
38358.jpg

lisa_edelstein_0_0_0x0_365x387.jpg

lisa-edelstein-long-sleek-hairstyle-685x1024.jpg

No, no you missed my point!
There are many Italians who couldn't pass as Germans, and many Germans who couldn't pass as Italians. Especially when you look for extremes like in Sicily or Eastern Frisia.

What I wanted to say was, when you morph all individuals of a European nation to one average together, they would easily be in the range of variance of any other European nation. Do you know what I mean?

well, indeed the morph as averages are quite similar to each others but there are however some differences between them.

Sure. I never doubted that. Still I thought it is interesting to see that they get more similiar to each other, and all morphs lie in the variance of phenotypes of other European nations.

i think he's representative of the averages and most diffised facial traits you find in greece. he's different from the extremes he's the average of greece.

No he is not. I live in Greece and see Greek people everyday and can say that there are no "average" facial features, as in any European population everyone is different. There may be an average skull shape, but not for facial features and colouring.

julia90, don't be upset. your job was really really nice. but making morphing of a few players of football to representate each nationality is not very scientific.

you can't ask us (the people of this forum) to take your morphings like a scientific reality.

bye.

Related: this study, which basically shows that Amerind/European admixture in Argentina varies a lot within the country. So, while the Tucuman data sample was quite European, moreso than most of the other samples in the study (including those from outside Argentina... looks like only Southern Brazil, Colombia, and Costa Rica beat it), the Salta data sample was the most Amerind in the study, reaching over 60%.

thank you for the source sparkey. here another study of the university of buenos aires:

argentinians
mapa_genes.gif

http://portal.educ.ar/noticias/ciencia-y-tecnologia/mapa-genetico-de-la-poblacion.php

yellow = only amerindian
green = mtdna amerindian
blue = ydna amerindian
red = only non-amerindian

This thread has been viewed 42267 times.

Back