New Archaiological discoverie in Makedonian tomps, could be Great Alexander's family?

Who you believe is the owner of the tomp?

• Alexander the great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roxane Alexander's wife

• Alaxandros 4rth son of Alexander

• Heracles son of Alexander

• Olympias mother of alexander

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Phillip 3rd son of Phillip 2 (other wife)

• Kassandros son of antipatros

• Hephaestion Alexander's friend

• Antigonos monophtalmos Alexander's general

• Polyperchon Phillip 2 general

• Androsthenes Alexander's admiral

• Nearchos Alexander's admiral

• Laomedon Alexander's admiral

• Agnon and Athenean army

• Brasidas and spartan army

• an empty memorial tomp

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
http://news247.gr/eidiseis/psixagog...il&utm_term=0_11a0ec29ff-05ffe56c07-393603141

the link is in GREEK language,

the skeletons which believed that were 1 person seems to be 5 person,

1 woman age around 60
1 man around 35
1 man around 45
1 man that was burned and his bones were burried there,
1 baby to child

by the morphologic characteristic we see
height of woman 1,57 m
height of men 163-168
the possibility of relativity is the next that will be searched

for further search 300 skeletons from ancient Necropolis and surounding area are about to be searched, by a new license given by archaiological authorities,

that will give us a clear view of genetical data of the area i suppose.

Thanks for the update Yetos.

this will only reveal the Y DNA of the Macedonian elite at that time

anyway my guess :
Mycenians : R1b-L23
Dorians : R1b-L11
Pelask : E1b and J2b

I agree with that. I originally thought that the Mycenaeans would be a blend of R1b-L23 and R1a-Z282. But I am having doubts about R1a, which has surely been brought to the southern Balkans by the Goths. I would need more data on Greek R1a to decide if the Mycenaeans brought other subclades than the Goths.

The Pelasgians included Mesolithic E-V13 and J2b, but also Neolithic G2a (and perhaps J1 and T1a).

OK

the search will be done by 200 students from Greece and rest EU (exchange and special programs) that are in a pre and after Dr degree,

the search will be under supervision of
Triantafyllou AUTH (thessaloniki) osteoarchaiology (bone archaiology)
Papageorgopoulou DUTh (Thrace) Anthropology

contains 300 skeleton bones
1 scan for pathological marks
2 palaiogenetic analysis (search for ancient DNA) and possible relativity
3 AMS timing
4 Strondium analysis
5 Carbon and Azoton (C, N) analysis
6 rest istological and microspocic methods of analysis

seems in 2-3 years we might have a view of the genetical data of the area through ancient times

the news about that huge monument started again a war among archaiologists,
AUTh laboratories using C-14 found that the coals of the tomb are from 300 BC +-30 and the birth of the wood from 360 BC
the compare with the rest Pella and Pydna royal mosaics place it at 330 to 275 BC same time with Carbon 14 method,
most possible the times of Aristonoos bodyguard of Alexander ruled over Amphipolis and the battle agaist Kassandros forces around 320 BC.
cause it is impossible to be build at the times of Kassandros to honor Alexanders family,
but it is possible to put inside and burry with soil the rest of Alexanders family just to settle once and for all with that.

The lion of Amphipolis has his tongue cut, so never to reaveal the secret of the tomp,
for that Antipatros o Σιδωνιος wrote "Ειπέ Λέον, φθιμένοιο τίνος τάφον αμφιβέβηκας , βουφάγε; Τις τασ άξιος ην αρετάς
meaning 'Tell us lion, you that eat the bulls whose tomp you guard, who is so worth with your virtues?

Antonio Corso from August 2015 enter the team of searches, recognised the face as leader of the caravan of the dead fortune (guns etc)
the march before the burial ceremony, the first who lead the horses was always a respected person, after that ceremony, Hermes took lead the charriot to brimng soul to underworld,
the snake is trade mark of Zeus and OLYMPIAS

upl56dab15d1b026.jpg

After the C-14 results
the main argue among archaiologists are
was it for 1 person or for many?
could Olympias via Aristonnos cheat us and burry Alexander in the tomp who probably was for Ηφαιστιων?

about the exostance of the snake,
Olympias was a high Priest an Ιερεια, at the ceremonies Woman carried baskets with snakes at their heads,
and many times spoke to Zeus via the snakes,
we can see that at everything that concern Alexander,

So notice the warrior, the horse, and the snake/tree image,
now lets look somewhere else
Battle_of_Issus.jpg

at the mosaic at the side of Alexander we also that snake/tree image

texn_7.7.2_293.jpg

look at the right leg, again the oak and the snake

02918t00.jpg

the ultimate value gold coin, does not have the eagle, but the snake

Last edited:
@ Yetos

What is your idea about the snake? I don't understand the meaning of your post.

@ Yetos

What is your idea about the snake? I don't understand the meaning of your post.

it is not my idea,
the combo snake/tree has been found at the tomb,
it works like a LOGO,
it is connecting the tomp with certain religion, or with Olympias or Alexander himshelf,

from the work of Antonio Corso

db70e9ac197b9c0806058b7ccee76048_XL.jpg

the excibit A has been found at the tomp,

Πλουταρχος, (Plutarch) describes this connection among Olympias and snakes

generally the combo woman/snake is far ancient, almost mythology,
Cretan figures millenium before Alexander show women with snakes,
Hercules killed the 2 snakes that Hera send against him,
Olympias was high priestess of a dogma that allow women carry snakes at basket above their head,
BUT THE COMBO SNAKE/TREE is Rather mark of Olympias and Alexandros

Snakes and oracles,
Snakes are connected with 4 Gods,
Zeus Apollo and hermes and hera
with Hermes are connected as medicines, (Odyssey)
With Hera as revenge/punishment from Gods
But with Zeus and Apollon have the ability of telling the future or bring justice,
they have been found both at Dodona and Delphoi,
Python was asnake dragon, Pythia was the priestess of Apollo,

ALL DIVINERS PROPHETS CLAIRVOYANTS HAD AS MARK A SNAKE AND A CAULDRON

it is not my idea,
it works like a LOGO,
it is connecting the tomp with certain religion, or with Olympias or Alexander himshelf,

Olympias was high priestess of a dogma that allow women carry snakes at basket above their head,

Snakes and oracles,
But with Zeus and Apollon have the ability of telling the future or bring justice,

Let me try to collaborate on this
Olympias was devoted for the Orphic mysteries as can be seen among the Macedonians and the various mosaics found in the tombs and other sites,the cult of Dionysus/Bacchus/Zagreus/Sabazios among other names.
When we talk about serpents i can found this "Life of Alexander"
Once, moreover, a serpent was found lying by Olympias as she slept which more than anything else, it is said, abated Philip's passion for her; and whether he feared her as an enchantress, or thought she had commerce with some god, and so looked on himself as excluded, he was ever after less fond of her conversation.
Others say, that the women of this country having always been extremely addicted to the enthusiastic Orphic rites, and the wild worship of Bacchus [...], imitated in many things the practices of the Edonian and Thracian women about Mount Haemus.

The picture found in Vergina is the reflection of the same religion the "Orphic mysteries" or the similar "Eleusian mysteries" the very cult was based on "abduction of Persephoneia by Hades" this picture show the same thing and it is intrpreted that way.When Hades kiddnaped the daughter of Demeter(mother goddess) she caused widespread drought for sorrow about her daughter,this are very old agrarian cults from the Balkans.
Abduction of Persephone
image.ashx

The "snake tree" as well the horseman you have posted here,the deity is found troughout the ancient world,it is known as the "Thracian horseman" and is most probably Sabazious or Dionysus.
Here you have the same "Thracian horseman"
450px-Burgas_Archaeological_Museum_-_Thracian_rider_-_P1020149.JPG
varna_dj-09082005-1-167d_thracian-rider-relief.jpg
9k=

Philipi Macedonia from Roman era
220px-Heros-from-Phillippi1.jpg

For example this cults are to be found in medieval times,presumably interpreted in Slavic mythology as Perun is defeating Veles,but this is very questionable,from Croatia
Perun_i_Veles.JPG

Madara rider from early Bulgaria;
1121007224minus_00.jpg

Among many other such examples,sometimes he is potrayed as hunting wild boars,slaying a beast etc his cult later will blent with St.George slaying the dragon cause it will be hard for the Christians to wipe out such important cult from previous times.

In my opinion the serpent maybe represent a chtonic god,note that St.George is celebrated with coming of spring,slaying the dragon you liberate the spring therefore Persephone from the underworld rebirth every year,Orphics also revered Persephone (who annually descended into Hades for a season and then returned) and Dionysus or Bacchus (who also descended into Hades and returned). Orpheus was said to have invented the Mysteries of Dionysus.Persephone is the first mother of Dionysus,Zemele is her second he is reincarnation himself.
South-Slavs have same deity Perunika/Perperusha/Perperuna the consort of Perun,in Bulgaria are to be found inscriptions with epithet "Perkon" on the horseman, all the rituals are remembered by people from pagan times and can be observed very well among folklore traditions in the Balkans.

For example about dawn goddess;the abduction and imprisonment of the dawn goddess, and her liberation by a heroic god slaying the dragon who imprisons her, is a central myth of Indo-European religion, reflected in numerous traditions. Most notably, it is the central myth of the Rigveda, a collection of hymns surrounding the Soma rituals dedicated to Indra in the new year celebrations of the early Indo-Aryans.

The Orphic mysteries however are Thracian in origin.
The similar Eleusian mysteries the mysteries represented the myth of the abduction of Persephone from her mother Demeter by the king of the underworld Hades, in a cycle with three phases, the "descent" (loss), the "search" and the "ascent", with the main theme the "ascent" of Persephone and the reunion with her mother. It was a major festival during the Hellenic era, and later spread to Rome. The name of the town, Eleusís, seems to be Pre-Greek and it is probably a counterpart with Elysium and the goddess Eileithyia.

That the Dionysic cult was widespread among Macedonians show as well the House of Dionysus found in the Macedonian city of Dion in Pieria,you can see also the "flower of life"
in the middle which i also have as my avatar but we used it as sun symbol.
800px-Dion_House_of_Dionysos_Mosaic.jpg

I hope however that with the oracle Perperikon found in Bulgaria believed to be the temple of Dionysus,we can know more things about this cult.

Last edited:
it is not my idea,
it works like a LOGO,

Snakes and oracles,

Interesting. I don't want go off topic, but snake is also part of my Iranic religion.

image002.jpg

505520924.jpg

http://www.personal.ceu.hu/students/09/Eszter_Spat/Mararesh.htm

no mention on y and mt dna? :(

Let me try to collaborate on this
Olympias was devoted for the Orphic mysteries as can be seen among the Macedonians and the various mosaics found in the tombs and other sites,the cult of Dionysus/Bacchus/Zagreus/Sabazios among other names.
When we talk about serpents i can found this "Life of Alexander"
Once, moreover, a serpent was found lying by Olympias as she slept which more than anything else, it is said, abated Philip's passion for her; and whether he feared her as an enchantress, or thought she had commerce with some god, and so looked on himself as excluded, he was ever after less fond of her conversation.
Others say, that the women of this country having always been extremely addicted to the enthusiastic Orphic rites, and the wild worship of Bacchus [...], imitated in many things the practices of the Edonian and Thracian women about Mount Haemus.

The picture found in Vergina is the reflection of the same religion the "Orphic mysteries" or the similar "Eleusian mysteries" the very cult was based on "abduction of Persephoneia by Hades" this picture show the same thing and it is intrpreted that way.When Hades kiddnaped the daughter of Demeter(mother goddess) she caused widespread drought for sorrow about her daughter,this are very old agrarian cults from the Balkans.
Abduction of Persephone

The "snake tree" as well the horseman you have posted here,the deity is found troughout the ancient world,it is known as the "Thracian horseman" and is most probably Sabazious or Dionysus.
Here you have the same "Thracian horseman"

Philipi Macedonia from Roman era
For example this cults are to be found in medieval times,presumably interpreted in Slavic mythology as Perun is defeating Veles,but this is very questionable,from Croatia

Madara rider from early Bulgaria;
Among many other such examples,sometimes he is potrayed as hunting wild boars,slaying a beast etc his cult later will blent with St.George slaying the dragon cause it will be hard for the Christians to wipe out such important cult from previous times.

In my opinion the serpent maybe represent a chtonic god,note that St.George is celebrated with coming of spring,slaying the dragon you liberate the spring therefore Persephone from the underworld rebirth every year,Orphics also revered Persephone (who annually descended into Hades for a season and then returned) and Dionysus or Bacchus (who also descended into Hades and returned). Orpheus was said to have invented the Mysteries of Dionysus.Persephone is the first mother of Dionysus,Zemele is her second he is reincarnation himself.
South-Slavs have same deity Perunika/Perperusha/Perperuna the consort of Perun,in Bulgaria are to be found inscriptions with epithet "Perkon" on the horseman, all the rituals are remembered by people from pagan times and can be observed very well among folklore traditions in the Balkans.

For example about dawn goddess;the abduction and imprisonment of the dawn goddess, and her liberation by a heroic god slaying the dragon who imprisons her, is a central myth of Indo-European religion, reflected in numerous traditions. Most notably, it is the central myth of the Rigveda, a collection of hymns surrounding the Soma rituals dedicated to Indra in the new year celebrations of the early Indo-Aryans.

The Orphic mysteries however are Thracian in origin.
The similar Eleusian mysteries the mysteries represented the myth of the abduction of Persephone from her mother Demeter by the king of the underworld Hades, in a cycle with three phases, the "descent" (loss), the "search" and the "ascent", with the main theme the "ascent" of Persephone and the reunion with her mother. It was a major festival during the Hellenic era, and later spread to Rome. The name of the town, Eleusís, seems to be Pre-Greek and it is probably a counterpart with Elysium and the goddess Eileithyia.

That the Dionysic cult was widespread among Macedonians show as well the House of Dionysus found in the Macedonian city of Dion in Pieria,you can see also the "flower of life"
in the middle which i also have as my avatar but we used it as sun symbol.
I hope however that with the oracle Perperikon found in Bulgaria believed to be the temple of Dionysus,we can know more things about this cult.

the killing of Python or Dragon or big Snake by a horse man is another story,
it has passed to christianity as Saint George
don't mix with that

the snake of Alexander is connected with this
w-34.jpg

Crete

%25CE%25A6%25CE%2599%25CE%2594%25CE%2599%25CE%2591%2B5.jpg

god Γλυκων

%25CE%25A6%25CE%2599%25CE%2594%25CE%2599%25CE%2591%2B1.jpg

Apollon and his tripod

etc

the only difference among Apollo and Zeus snake is the tree,
at Iliad Homer places 'prophet' Καλχας Kalhas to predict the future watching the moves of the snake upon the tree,
Olympias was a priest of Donona Zeus, an Oracle Zeus,
Olympias was also priestess of Καβειρες Kabeirs (Samothrace)
Olympias is also a follower of Orpheus
so she posses the ability to speak, feed, live with snakes, and she can read the answers by watching their moves
watch
2 Snakes were the guiders to Alexander in his quest to reach Ammon's Oracle

EVEN TODAY THE MONKS AT MANY PLACES PREFER A SNAKE TO LIVE WITH, THAN A CAT.
the late Saint of mt Athos, Paisios lived with a Snake to eat the mouses and rats, than a cat
and many times spoke with it as christians say.

the snake of St George has nothing to do with this snake it is a Dragon/snake

as also the snake of Φαρμακεια (pharmacy) of Asclepius and Hermes αre away from that snake/tree combo

2.bmp

neither Hera's snake has to do with,

that is the snake of a chthonic Zeus,

to understand more
Monotheistic Bible
the snake seduce woman to eat the fruit (snake speaks)!!!!! Genesis
Greek polytheism
The snake Λαδωνας is put by Hera to protect the tree fruits from human women but guarded by hesperides nymphs)!!!
but either hercules kill the snake, either the Nymphs put the snake to sleep, so Hercules can take the fruits
same image, tree snake man woman, different approach

Saint George approach of snake has nothing to do with Zeus snakes,
Although many consider St george as the replace of Apollo

PS
Yet since you seem to search about Thracians, there is something interesting, the Rila area

Interesting. I don't want go off topic, but snake is also part of my Iranic religion.

http://www.personal.ceu.hu/students/09/Eszter_Spat/Mararesh.htm

I do not know which part of Iranic religion, and how they are connected with ZoroAstrian
but snakes in religion I doupt that has to do with Semitic or IE primary religions,
yet we see it at a zone from Mediterenean to India,
I am not familiar so much with Iranian or Indian Polytheism so I can not tell something
can you describe what they mean?

the killing of Python or Dragon or big Snake by a horse man is another story,
it has passed to christianity as Saint George
don't mix with that

the snake of Alexander is connected with this
w-34.jpg

Crete

%25CE%25A6%25CE%2599%25CE%2594%25CE%2599%25CE%2591%2B5.jpg

god Γλυκων

Apollon and his tripod

etc

the only difference among Apollo and Zeus snake is the tree,
at Iliad Homer places 'prophet' Καλχας Kalhas to predict the future watching the moves of the snake upon the tree,
Olympias was a priest of Donona Zeus, an Oracle Zeus,
Olympias was also priestess of Καβειρες Kabeirs (Samothrace)
Olympias is also a follower of Orpheus
so she posses the ability to speak, feed, live with snakes, and she can read the answers by watching their moves
watch
2 Snakes were the guiders to Alexander in his quest to reach Ammon's Oracle

EVEN TODAY THE MONKS AT MANY PLACES PREFER A SNAKE TO LIVE WITH, THAN A CAT.
the late Saint of mt Athos, Paisios lived with a Snake to eat the mouses and rats, than a cat
and many times spoke with it as christians say.

the snake of St George has nothing to do with this snake it is a Dragon/snake

as also the snake of Φαρμακεια (pharmacy) of Asclepius and Hermes αre away from that snake/tree combo

neither Hera's snake has to do with,

that is the snake of a chthonic Zeus,

to understand more
Monotheistic Bible
the snake seduce woman to eat the fruit (snake speaks)!!!!! Genesis
Greek polytheism
The snake Λαδωνας is put by Hera to protect the tree fruits from human women but guarded by hesperides nymphs)!!!
but either hercules kill the snake, either the Nymphs put the snake to sleep, so Hercules can take the fruits
same image, tree snake man woman, different approach

Saint George approach of snake has nothing to do with Zeus snakes,
Although many consider St george as the replace of Apollo

PS
Yet since you seem to search about Thracians, there is something interesting, the Rila area
I don't really understand but you show a Minoan goddess in the picture,the figurines were found only in house sanctuaries, where the figurine appears as "the goddess of the household", and they are probably (according to Burkert) related with the Paleolithic tradition regarding women and domesticity,likewise the oracle at Dodona numerous authors are saying that is being build by "Pelasgians" and one of the earliest oracles in Greece,predates the Greek settlement,as far i know earth goddess Dione is worshiped there,kind of Oceanid nymphs,water goddess and Dodonean Zeus,it is called Dodonean Zeus cause it is worshiped for different purpose than Zeus in mainland Greece, if you find Zeus that mean a "sky father" just like Juppiter or others but there is debate what was the original name of this Indo-European god,according to traditions Dione was mother of Venus and Aphrodite at least in Greco-Roman mythologies,but according to Orphic worshipers she was daughter of Gaia and Uranus,search for the ritual Dodola you can see connection with this deity.
Don't know if you want to make out of the Macedonians kind of proto-type people,but the religions are shared by different populations,they are not connected to one specific people,especialy not among Indo-Europeans.

As for Glycon i can find this
At least initially, the cult did not worship an abstraction or a spirit of a snake but an actual, physical serpent that was said to embody the god. According to the cult's mythology, the snake appeared after Alexander had foretold the coming of a new incarnation of Asclepius. When the people gathered in the marketplace of Abonutichus at noon, when the incarnation was supposed to occur, Alexander produced a goose egg and sliced it open, revealing the god within. Within a week it grew to the size of a man with the features of a man on its face, including long blond hair. At this point the figure resembling this description was apparently a puppet that appeared in the temple. In some references Glycon was a trained snake with a puppet head.

As with previous Macedonian snake cults, the focus of worship at the temple was on fertility. Barren women would bring offerings to Glycon in hopes of becoming pregnant. According to Lucian, Alexander had less magical ways of causing pregnancy among his flock as well. The god was also believed to offer protection against the plague.

It is kind of a continuation of cult of Asclepius,also the same healer god Darrhon was worshiped by the Derrones,Macedonians and Paeonians.

I do not know which part of Iranic religion, and how they are connected with ZoroAstrian
but snakes in religion I doupt that has to do with Semitic or IE primary religions,
yet we see it at a zone from Mediterenean to India,
I am not familiar so much with Iranian or Indian Polytheism so I can not tell something
can you describe what they mean?
My Iranic religion, the Yezidism is connected with the Zoroastrianism through older Iranic religion. The Mithraism. The Yezidism and Zoroastrianism share the same roots. Both are derived from the Mithraism.

Ancient Iranic GOD Zurvan encircled by the snakes.

Zurvan.jpg

To my understanding the snake in the ancient Iranic mythology and therefore in my modern living Iranic religion has something to do with the 'cosmos'.
According to my folks we are the 'chosen people' of Tawuse Melek. Tawûsê Melek (the Peacock Angel) created the cosmos from the 'Cosmic egg' (think of the Bing Bang theory)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melek_Taus

The Cosmic Egg / Big Bang

universe_age.jpg

http://www.space.com/25126-big-bang-theory.html

Last edited:
There are whole books written on the subject of serpent or snake mythology around the world, including the Near East. In that area of the world it was for the Canaanites a symbol of fertility, sexuality, desire. It is often also associated with secret knowledge.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_(symbolism)

Often, the serpent is depicted with a sacred tree or staff.

Obviously, it's part of Jewish/Christian iconography as the serpent who tempted Eve in the Garden of Eden, leading to Marian iconography of Mary crushing the serpent under her feet.

http://rabbithole2.com/presentation/ancient/images/adam_eve_serpent.jpg

https://maryvictrix.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/immaculate_conception_ca_1628.jpg

Last edited:
I don't really understand but you show a Minoan goddess in the picture,the figurines were found only in house sanctuaries, where the figurine appears as "the goddess of the household", and they are probably (according to Burkert) related with the Paleolithic tradition regarding women and domesticity,likewise the oracle at Dodona numerous authors are saying that is being build by "Pelasgians" and one of the earliest oracles in Greece,predates the Greek settlement,as far i know earth goddess Dione is worshiped there,kind of Oceanid nymphs,water goddess and Dodonean Zeus,it is called Dodonean Zeus cause it is worshiped for different purpose than Zeus in mainland Greece, if you find Zeus that mean a "sky father" just like Juppiter or others but there is debate what was the original name of this Indo-European god,according to traditions Dione was mother of Venus and Aphrodite at least in Greco-Roman mythologies,but according to Orphic worshipers she was daughter of Gaia and Uranus,search for the ritual Dodola you can see connection with this deity.
Don't know if you want to make out of the Macedonians kind of proto-type people,but the religions are shared by different populations,they are not connected to one specific people,especialy not among Indo-Europeans.

As for Glycon i can find this
At least initially, the cult did not worship an abstraction or a spirit of a snake but an actual, physical serpent that was said to embody the god. According to the cult's mythology, the snake appeared after Alexander had foretold the coming of a new incarnation of Asclepius. When the people gathered in the marketplace of Abonutichus at noon, when the incarnation was supposed to occur, Alexander produced a goose egg and sliced it open, revealing the god within. Within a week it grew to the size of a man with the features of a man on its face, including long blond hair. At this point the figure resembling this description was apparently a puppet that appeared in the temple. In some references Glycon was a trained snake with a puppet head.

As with previous Macedonian snake cults, the focus of worship at the temple was on fertility. Barren women would bring offerings to Glycon in hopes of becoming pregnant. According to Lucian, Alexander had less magical ways of causing pregnancy among his flock as well. The god was also believed to offer protection against the plague.

It is kind of a continuation of cult of Asclepius,also the same healer god Darrhon was worshiped by the Derrones,Macedonians and Paeonians.

I really do not understand were you are guiding me,
I just said that snake culture/religion is not one,
and the mark tree/snake that is mentioned even from Homer and 'prophet Kalhas' is clearly a Dodona Zeus mark,
and Zeus was not a Pelasgian deity, but a Greek deity, although even today many argue about Driopes or IE origin of Oracle

Apollo had a snake as mark but a tripod, and if you search all 'prophets' had a snake as a mark
Hera also had power upon snakes but as 'angel of Death'
Asclepius and Hermes as medicins

There are whole books written on the subject of serpent or snake mythology around the world, including the Near East. In that area of the world it was for the Canaanites a symbol of fertility, sexuality, desire. It is often also associated with secret knowledge.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_(symbolism)

Often, the serpent is depicted with a sacred tree or staff.

Obviously, it's part of Jewish/Christian iconography as the serpent who tempted Eve in the Garden of Evil, leading to Marian iconography of Mary crushing the serpent under her feet.

http://rabbithole2.com/presentation/ancient/images/adam_eve_serpent.jpg

https://maryvictrix.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/immaculate_conception_ca_1628.jpg

and that is the other icon image of the snake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hespe...aico_Trabajos_Hércules_(M.A.N._Madrid)_11.jpg

This thread has been viewed 65320 times.

Back