Your Haplogroup (are you pleased or disappointed with it?)

I had an irrational fear that I was going to find out that I was sub-Saharan African, Polynesian, or South American or something else that would completely warp my conception of my ancestry.

Why would you have an "irrational fear" about that? exotic and rare haplogroups are interesting.

I haven't done a MTDNA test yet, but I had an irrational fear that I was going to find out that I was sub-Saharan African, Polynesian, or South American or something else that would completely warp my conception of my ancestry. I was very pleased to find out that I am European through and through on my patrilineal descent as an I2A2A.
That makes no sense and is extremely illogical. Since Negro genetics are extremely predominate, you'd know if you had admixture just my looking at yourself in a mirror. I think it takes 10 generations for Negro genes to fully dissapear. In any case, it's not like you get to choose your haplogroup.

I still wonder what mine are. I need to find a good service that tests for a good price. If anybody knows any reputable sites, contact me or respond.

Why would you have an "irrational fear" about that? exotic and rare haplogroups are interesting.

It would change my conception of my ancestry. I know of no black admixture and it would throw me for a loop if I had found out I was linked with San Bushmen and the Pygmies, for instance.

That makes no sense and is extremely illogical. Since Negro genetics are extremely predominate, you'd know if you had admixture just my looking at yourself in a mirror. I think it takes 10 generations for Negro genes to fully dissapear. In any case, it's not like you get to choose your haplogroup.

Oh, I know it was illogical. I just was like: Oh my God, what if I were black or Polynesian?! It would change my view of my ancestry and background.

I disagree regarding negro genes, though. There are plenty of mulattos who who do not look black and many with grandparents who could pass as white. Warren G. Harding was very, very likely black in part, but did not look especially so.

I still wonder what mine are. I need to find a good service that tests for a good price. If anybody knows any reputable sites, contact me or respond.

Nat geo or FTDNA

Oh, I know it was illogical. I just was like: Oh my God, what if I were black or Polynesian?! It would change my view of my ancestry and background.

I disagree regarding negro genes, though. There are plenty of mulattos who who do not look black and many with grandparents who could pass as white. Warren G. Harding was very, very likely black in part, but did not look especially so.

Nat geo or FTDNA
That was a lie in order to spread false rumors. They never found Black in their family tree. You can tell somebodies mixed with Black just by looking at them. And no, a European that's "swarthy Middle Eastern looking" does not count. Middle Easterns are still Caucasoid and skin pigmentation means nothing. Lots of Welsh can look Middle Eastern. Look at Sean Connery for instance.

That was a lie in order to spread false rumors. They never found Black in their family tree. You can tell somebodies mixed with Black just by looking at them. And no, a European that's "swarthy Middle Eastern looking" does not count. Middle Easterns are still Caucasoid and skin pigmentation means nothing. Lots of Welsh can look Middle Eastern. Look at Sean Connery for instance.

There is some significant historic evaluations of Mr. Harding (not Afrocentric BS) that suggest some negro ancestry.

Regardless of whether that individual is black, the idea that negro blood is so predominant that other characteristics will be less expressed seems fairly odd and unjustified on a scientific level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._K._Butterfield

Would you call this gentleman a mulatto? He is. Shockingly enough!

There are plenty of examples when whites mixing with blacks produce passable mulattos that would be very, very difficult to discern from plenty of whites.

I will grant you that this is increasingly rare. It is not LIKELY for a mulatto (especially nowadays) to pass for white if their parents were pure black and pure white. BY the time of grandparents, though, you can easily get someone with a pretty significant white look. Great grandparents even more likely.

Also, I agree with you that there are plenty of darker skinned whites who have not a drop of negro blood. I am hardly here to proclaim that the majority of Italians can count themselves African, or Spainards, or Greeks. As you said, even the Welsh trend suprisingly swarthy at times (though Sean Connery is a Scot), and I've been mistaken for a Greek (though I didn't have a tan).

Look at Sean Connery for instance.

I look at Sean Connery and can't see anything middle eastern. He is just brunette and actually looks commonly western european.

Sean Conner is Scottish/Irish not Welsh. And being a Caucasoid is one thing but in my opinion only extremely unattentive person can mistake a darker skin European with a Middle Easterner.

My best friend and I planned to have our mtDNA done together. While we awaited our results, I was hoping I'd be a rare uncomman haplogroup and my friend didn't mind which one she would be. Rather ironically, when we recieved our results it turned I am U5a - Ursula (one of the most comman haplogroup, at least in Europe), and my is friend I1a - Iris (one of the most rare mtDNA haplogroups in the world). Personally, I am disappointed with mine. No disrespect to fellow Ursula's out there.

Haplogroups have little virtue in making someone special because they only refer to mtDNA (a tiny sequence that is not even part of the 46 chromosomes) or, for men, the Y-chromosome (which doesn't do much except making male organs). The main role of mtDNA is to produce the energy inside the cells. The most common haplogroups should normally be those that are the most successful or best adapted to our lifestyle and environment. So you shouldn't really wish for rare haplogroups, or rare private mutations that could mess up the good functioning of your body. As far as mtDNA haplogroups are concerned, the more common, the safer.

Last edited:
The Welsh can get pretty swarthy. Even Tom Jones minus the Blue eyes looks pseudo-Middle Eastern. Southern Euros aren't the only swarthy Europeans.

tom-jones-old.jpg

There is always the problem that many people can recognize only colors but no shapes.

The Welsh can get pretty swarthy. Even Tom Jones minus the Blue eyes looks pseudo-Middle Eastern. Southern Euros aren't the only swarthy Europeans.

tom-jones-old.jpg

Even if he had the blackest eyes he would not pass for a Middle Easterner. For looks and similarities facial features and proportions are thousand times more important than tonality of skin or the color of eyes.

Even if he had the blackest eyes he would not pass for a Middle Easterner. For looks and similarities facial features and proportions are thousand times more important than tonality of skin or the color of eyes.
To be fair he does look more Middle Eastern than Sean Connery, clothed a bit different He would not stick out.

Sean Connery on the other hand looks West European.

To be fair he does look more Middle Eastern than Sean Connery, clothed a bit different He would not stick out.

Sean Connery on the other hand looks West European.
Maybe for an average observer yes, but I know Middle Easterners too well to mistake this guy for one. (even if he'd wear thobe etc.)

tom-jones-old.jpg

I have to admit: I had no idea until recently that Tom Jones was a native Welshman.

Also, I was pretty shocked to find that Catherine Zeta-Jones was a Welshwoman, also. However, I have known that for a good ten years (back when she was still a big actress).

Tom Jones indeed looks a little bit black-african, but not near-eastern. His features are much too rugged for a middle-eastener.

Tom Jones indeed looks a little bit black-african, but not near-eastern. His features are much too rugged for a middle-eastener.

O__O, Middle Eastern I could understand but BLACK ssa African? I think you're over-estimating my claim.

Many Europeans and Middle Easterners look alike and can pass for one another. It's a fact of life since W.Asia and Europe are close.

O__O, Middle Eastern I could understand but BLACK ssa African? I think you're over-estimating my claim.

Many Europeans and Middle Easterners look alike and can pass for one another. It's a fact of life since W.Asia and Europe are close.

Of course, but not exactly Tom Jones.
But here is one example of an arabic-looking Swede, Ingmar Bergman:

ingmar-bergman-05.jpgingmar-bergman-03.jpg

Still, without his brunette pigmentation he would perfectly pass for an average nordic swede.

Hmm. It's important to remember that Middle Eastern looking Europeans are still genetically European. Granted, they may not be the most attractive in my opinion, they're still equally European as anyone else though.

Hmm. It's important to remember that Middle Eastern looking Europeans are still genetically European.
Granted, they may not be the most attractive in my opinion, they're still equally European as anyone else though.

I agree, but why not attractive? Anyway, my point is that pigmentation is not that much important and very often leads to ridiculous classifications. Take Gheg-Albanians for instance: they are among the blondest balkan peoples, yet very dinaric looking and autosomally among the most southern. Jews are often redheads etc. I'd not be surprised if Tom Jones turns out to resemble a so-called rugged "paleolithic survivor" when replacing his hair and beard.

This thread has been viewed 49662 times.

Back