Your physical idea of what Yamnayans look-like.

I was under the assumption that the yamnaya had haplogroups that aren't found in the west and their closest matches are in dagestan...they arent a tall ethnic group..
Fair enough, but it is indeed linked to Yamna

Some of the examples posted here are too much Mediterranean, for example taking Clooney as Yamnaya example is like taking a Bedoiun or Tibetan monk as Yamnaya example, it just seems so off.

Tyson Fury might be a good example.

1b16de2b22a500033c1500d05619077dY29udGVudHNlYXJjaGFwaSwxNjk0Mjc1NjIx-2.73639097.jpg

Yamna people were not homogenous (few human groups are). Some of their components was an 'east-mediter' type, mixed with the already heterogenous eastern HG's types. The only global correspondance within them was a greta robusticity. That said, as in most of stable crossings, some individuls types appear more often than others.

I add I agree that Tyson Fury could pass among Yamnayans in my opinion (concerning features), but he is not the more typical I think.
BTW he is an Irish "gypsy".

I add I agree that Tyson Fury could pass among Yamnayans in my opinion (concerning features), but he is not the more typical I think.

Gypsy on terms of lifestyle not in the sense of having actual Gypsy/Roma ancestry. He looks fully British to me, as does his father, though his father is an annoying personality.

Gypsy on terms of lifestyle not in the sense of having actual Gypsy/Roma ancestry. He looks fully British to me, as does his father, though his father is an annoying personality.
OK, so I put Gypsy between "-"

Mathieson and Lazaridis in 2015 analyzed the frequency of alleles responsible for light skin pigmentation in ancient and modern European populations. The results indicated that the Yamnaya had darker skin, and eye color, than current southern Europeans.

In the graphs B and C the blue and green bar represents the existence of alleles for light skin, the frequency of the green bar in the Yamnaya is clearly lower than in any European modern population.

The Yamnaya were a mixture of EHG and CHG, so this is not surprising.

Presenting a British as an example of the Yamnaya phenotype is an exaggeration.

YXEhmYw.png

I find Tyson Fury's look to be reasonably typical among Irish and British in general.

Most of the Yamnaya people were Proto-Europids which is a Cromagnoid with dark hair and dark eyes which was something like a mediterranean
type with wide face and minor mongoloid traits. This type is almost extinct today. Most of the modern Europeans look like the pre-indo-european people of old Europe. I think it's possible that the so-called Alpine type could be a more recent reduced "derivate" from the original because this type matches geographically to the expansion of the Indo-Europeans in Europe and also matches pigmentation but this type exist in none-european people so there could be different sources of this phenotype.
Yes, the original Yamnaya were cerainly much darker until they inherited the genomes for lighter skin and hair colouring from another group of people living in the land locked central Asian region. I can't remember who these people were, but according to articles and documentaries that I came across, these people entered northern Europe before the Yamnaya. They were supposed to have been responsible for the lighter phenotype of the Neolithic Funnel Beaker Folk.

I don't rely too much on pic's, or old statues, to guess the look of ancient peoples.
Scythians were heterogenous according to tribes and localization, within and between groups. The Scythians geographically closer to us didn't show too much differences in front of Celts elites and Slavs, if I rely on Coon. ATW they were not or were no more so close to Yamna people. And Yamna people were a mix of types, prinicpally between what they call "proto-Europoid" type (archaic type badly defined) and rather high statured "east-mediter" types.

For some reason in my mind the male Tarim basin mummy looks like what Yamnaya male would like, which looks northern European to me.

For some reason in my mind the male Tarim basin mummy looks like what Yamnaya male would like, which looks northern European to me.
Tarim Mummies were found not to be the Afanasievo IE Tocharians (which did indeed have Yamnaya ancestry) but rather an earlier layer, remnants of some ancient Siberian Ice Age refuge population I believe, like more ANE like the Mal'ta people.

Tarim Mummies were found not to be the Afanasievo IE Tocharians (which did indeed have Yamnaya ancestry) but rather an earlier layer, remnants of some ancient Siberian Ice Age refuge population I believe, like more ANE like the Mal'ta people.
That's news to me. Interesting

This thread has been viewed 72579 times.

Back