Immigration sexual harassments by immigrants

The situation in Europe is indeed a mess, and I don't see any easy solutions.

However, as is usually the case, Europeans know very little about the U.S. (The reverse is also true.)

There is no wall along the entire southern border with the U.S. The proposed building of such a wall is part of the platform of Donald Trump, who is running for the Republican nomination. Boats do indeed arrive filled with refugees, from Cuba, for example, although it was a while ago, and not in huge numbers. Castro emptied the Cuban prisons and let them all go to Florida.

Many of these immigrants in fact do come, or came, from war zones in Central America. It was almost impossible to discern who was coming as a refugee versus who was coming for economic reasons.

Conservative estimates put the total number of illegal aliens in the U.S. at twelve million. Most of them are from Mexico or countries from further south in Latin America, although every nationality is probably represented. We have quite a few Irish nationals in the New York area, for example. Many of them are hard-working people, but there are also drug gangs, arms running gangs etc. among them. MS-13 is a horrifically violent Central American gang that infests areas around New York City.

Even when drugs and violence aren't involved these people, who don't pay taxes, do use the social service system: they go to emergency rooms where they receive free medical care, their children go to the schools, etc. We even have "sanctuary cities" which refuse to cooperate with Immigration to deport them.

All of this is separate from the fact that the New World is indeed more welcoming to immigrants than Europe, and more tolerant of differences racial and religious. I also don't see how it can be denied that the more welcoming the host country, the more likely it is that the values of the host country will be adopted. Like LeBrok, I can testify to this through personal experience, both my own and what I have observed. If it doesn't work with the actual migrant, it works with next generation. There are exceptions, as in the case in San Bernardino, but they are not by any means the majority, which is instead the case in Europe.

It's very hard to resist integration here, whereas in Europe you've never even integrated the Jews who lived among you for two thousand years. Here, on the contrary, the rate of intermarriage with Jews is extraordinarily high, so high that some Orthodox Jewish leaders are afraid they will disappear as an ethnic group.

These are just facts, and separate from any discussion as to whether there should be unfettered and uncontrolled immigration, what to do with the migrants who have already arrived, what law enforcement should do etc.

So tell me, on what criteria the US admits refugees?
Are they provided housing, food and medical care?
To what extent do they benefit from social security?
This, I allready indicated is a problem in Europe. The social security in Europe is overgenerous and refugees get the same rights as Europeans who have paid for social security all their lives. Many refugees come from poor countries and what they get from social security gives them often a luxury live compared to where they come from, without having to work. It gives them a cosy hammock and many are not motivated to do any efforts to become fit for the labour market.
Furthermore much of what I stated remains : America has never been flooded by refugees as Europe is now, neither did they ever face massive influx from countries with a majority of non-secular Muslims. How many of these 12 million immigrants were refugees? How many come from which Central American war zones? If you can select your immigrants and only give a green card to well-educated immigrants who have a good chance to get a job, it is not so easy to integrate these people.
Europe should have been much more critical about these immigrants from the start (And Obama was aplauding this non-critical attidtude). The hangover comes when it is to late.

P.S. I now see the 12 million you mention are not refugees, they are illegal immigrants. So they were given no support at all when they entered the US.

So tell me, on what criteria the US admits refugees?
Are they provided housing, food and medical care?
To what extent do they benefit from social security?
This, I allready indicated is a problem in Europe. The social security in Europe is overgenerous and refugees get the same rights as Europeans who have paid for social security all their lives. Many refugees come from poor countries and what they get from social security gives them often a luxury live compared to where they come from, without having to work. It gives them a cosy hammock and many are not motivated to do any efforts to become fit for the labour market.
Furthermore much of what I stated remains : America has never been flooded by refugees as Europe is now, neither did they ever face massive influx from countries with a majority of non-secular Muslims. How many of these 12 million immigrants were refugees? How many come from which Central American war zones? If you can select your immigrants and only give a green card to well-educated immigrants who have a good chance to get a job, it is not so easy to integrate these people.
Europe should have been much more critical about these immigrants from the start (And Obama was aplauding this non-critical attidtude). The hangover comes when it is to late.

P.S. I now see the 12 million you mention are not refugees, they are illegal immigrants. So they were given no support at all when they entered the US.

Illegal immigrants are barred from welfare payments per se. They are, however, a burden on the system in other ways. As I mentioned, they routinely use the emergency rooms of hospitals and clinics for medical care. No one is turned away for lack of ability to pay. That's part of what drives up health care costs in this country. Their children attend the schools, and can't be turned away. In addition, they can receive benefits on behalf of their children, and there are many other loopholes.

See:
http://cis.org/Welfare-Use-Legal-Illegal-Immigrant-Households

"Immigrant Eligibility for Welfare. The appendix to the companion report includes a long discussion of the regulations and laws covering immigrant welfare eligibility. As it makes clear, the 1996 welfare reform changes and other laws are designed to limit immigrant reliance on welfare programs — particularly legal immigrants, since illegal immigrants have been barred from welfare for a long time. These policies include the long-standing "public charge" doctrine that bars entry of immigrants likely to need welfare and the deportation of those who become dependent on it, a five-year bar on most new legal immigrants accessing welfare, and a "deeming" requirement that sponsors' income be considered before welfare can be received.

However, as the appendix in our prior analysis makes clear, these restrictions do not prevent immigrant households from making extensive use of welfare programs because restrictions often apply to only a modest share of legal immigrants at any one time, some programs are not restricted, there are numerous exceptions and exemptions, and some provisions are entirely unenforced. Equally important, immigrants, including those illegally in the country, can receive welfare on behalf of their U.S.-born children. As a result, both our prior report and this one show that immigrant households make extensive use of the nation's welfare system, often at significantly higher rates than native households."

The counter argument is that because so many of them have fake papers they are paying both income taxes and Social Security taxes. Of course, if they have fake papers, which are very easy to get, btw, they can also get welfare payments.

Still, I think it's fair to say that European nations, or at least some of them, provide much more support than does the U.S. I think Canada might be somewhere in between.

Refugees are in a different category. It's undeniable we have fewer numbers of them, and they don't come from parts of the world where an anti-western, terrorist ideology is gaining converts by the day. They do, however, come from drug and violence fueled areas and these people form a very disproportionate share of those convicted of related crimes.

you are a fundamentalist political correctist putting words in my mouth I never said
by giving such an answer you admit that the situation in Europe is a mess for which you don't know any solution either
Be my guest and say it Yourself what is your solution about migrants coming to Belgium and the ones already living in Belgium. Be brave and don't be politically correct, and tell us your solution!

Be my guest and say it Yourself what is your solution about migrants coming to Belgium and the ones already living in Belgium. Be brave and don't be politically correct, and tell us your solution!

You claim that in your wonderful Canada immigrants are wellcome and in Europe not. It is quite the oposite. The problem is that Europe is to attractive for immigrants.
There should be 2 kinds of immigrants.
First those who have special knowledge and skills that are usefull in Europe.
These people should be allowed to stay and live in Europe. They should be usefull and selfsuficient without much government aid.
Then there are people in need. There are a billion of them in the world and Europe has neither the capacity nor the duty to help them all.

Europe should be very selective to who they allow inside Europe and who not. Europe certainly shouldn't make itself atractive to all these people.
Only those for who there is no alternative for survival, who have a clean record and who are able and willing to integrate should be allowed.
They should have only limited rights and also duties.

The limited rights would be shelter, food, basic health care and some basic education with the purpose to help them get integrated.
Their duty should be to get integrated and usefull asap. That means, try to get a job and become selfsuficient. Those who do not succeed should do compulsory community services.
Only those who succeed should gradualy get more rights.
This all seems very harsh, but the alternative is the failure we have today.

Last edited by a moderator:
some more figures :

the costs for 2016 for shelter, food, medicare and education of the immigrants which arrived in Germany in 2015 is budgetted 50 billion €

17 % of the newly arrived immigrants in Belgium are illiterate

more than half of the new immigrants appear to be unfit for the labour market and will be a heavy burden on the government budgets for the coming decades
last year it was said the EU economy needed these immigrants ... ???

wir schaffen das ?
now Merkel is looking how she can send them all back 'once ISIS is defeated'

Refugees are in a different category. It's undeniable we have fewer numbers of them, and they don't come from parts of the world where an anti-western, terrorist ideology is gaining converts by the day. They do, however, come from drug and violence fueled areas and these people form a very disproportionate share of those convicted of related crimes.

Are there statistics available which show the disproportionate share of those convicted of related crimes?

In Europe it is a public secret that the majority of the convicts and criminals are immigrants, but it is forbidden by racism laws to keep statistics on that.
It is one of the political correct measures to hide the problem. And the political correct version is to say that if there are more criminals amongst them it is because of racism and inequality. I don't say there is absolutely no racism but that is unable to explain the huge numbers of criminals.

Are there statistics available which show the disproportionate share of those convicted of related crimes?

In Europe it is a public secret that the majority of the convicts and criminals are immigrants, but it is forbidden by racism laws to keep statistics on that.
It is one of the political correct measures to hide the problem. And the political correct version is to say that if there are more criminals amongst them it is because of racism and inequality. I don't say there is absolutely no racism but that is unable to explain the huge numbers of criminals.

Statistics are kept by race: Black, Hispanic, White.

The Hispanic rate is in between that of Blacks and Whites.
http://www.amren.com/news/2015/07/new-doj-statistics-on-race-and-violent-crime/

Obviously, socio-economic status is a huge factor in all of this, as is the attitude of some law enforcement officers. I assure you that it's still the case that officers tend to arrest more "people of color" than whites for the exact same offense, and conviction rates are much different, mainly because if you're poor you're stuck with a legal aid lawyer.

There might be ones specifically for the migrants from Central America who seek refugee status, which is becoming more difficult to get, btw, but I couldn't find any quickly. It's something that's obvious to law enforcement, however. The MS-13 gang problem is real.

Some of that is explainable too. If you're an immigrant, uneducated, no real skills except working as a farm laborer and you wind up in urban New York, just how do you make a living especially since the U.S. gives these people limited benefits? Some of them turn to crime, drug running, arms sales, protection rackets targeting their own people, primarily. It's a sad but common story.

English newspapers just recently took the U.S. to task for returning some of these Central American migrants.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/12/obama-immigration-deportations-central-america

You claim that in your wonderful Canada immigrants are wellcome and in Europe not. It is quite the oposite. The problem is that Europe is to attractive for immigrants.
Yes it is very attractive economically, but average citizen is not very welcoming towards them. Especially in Eastern Europe where populations were very monolithic for some time and people are very uneasy and even scared around people of different culture or religion.

There should be 2 kinds of immigrants. First those who have special knowledge and skills that are usefull in Europe.
These people should be allowed to stay and live in Europe. They should be usefull and selfsuficient without much government aid.
[/QUOTE]

Sure, the needed skills and work programs. I'm not sure about Europe but it is a popular program in Canada. There is also a temporary worker program, which doesn't give ability to stay forever.

Then there are people in need. There are a billion of them in the world and Europe has neither the capacity nor the duty to help them all.
Very true.

Europe should be very selective to who they allow inside Europe and who not. Europe certainly shouldn't make itself atractive to all these people.
Only those for who there is no alternative for survival, who have a clean record and who are able and willing to integrate should be allowed.
Nice to see your humanitarian side. ;) I agree on integration, though probably not to what level it should be implemented. I'm very strong on immigrants being tolerant, open minded and supporting democracy. This would sith all the fundamentalists and nationalists.
They should have only limited rights and also duties.

Right, till granting full citizenship some time in the future

The limited rights would be shelter, food, basic health care and some basic education with the purpose to help them get integrated.
Their duty should be to get integrated and usefull asap. That means, try to get a job and become selfsuficient. Those who do not succeed should do compulsory community services.
Only those who succeed should gradualy get more rights.
This all seems very harsh, but the alternative is the failure we have today.

I don't think it is too harsh. The only help from Canadian government I got was a loan for an airplane ticket to get here. Other than that I was always self sufficient man.
Just remember that giving people a better start and boost first year or two, they will get better education, therefore better paying jobs, buy houses, open businesses, and pay taxes. All very positive for society in general.

Yes it is very attractive economically, but average citizen is not very welcoming towards them. Especially in Eastern Europe where populations were very monolithic for some time and people are very uneasy and even scared around people of different culture or religion.

There should be 2 kinds of immigrants. First those who have special knowledge and skills that are usefull in Europe.
[/QUOTE]

Sure, the needed skills and work programs. I'm not sure about Europe but it is a popular program in Canada. There is also a temporary worker program, which doesn't give ability to stay forever.

Very true.

Nice to see your humanitarian side. ;) I agree on integration, though probably not to what level it should be implemented. I'm very strong on immigrants being tolerant, open minded and supporting democracy. This would sith all the fundamentalists and nationalists.

Right, till granting full citizenship some time in the future

I don't think it is too harsh. The only help from Canadian government I got was a loan for an airplane ticket to get here. Other than that I was always self sufficient man.
Just remember that giving people a better start and boost first year or two, they will get better education, therefore better paying jobs, buy houses, open businesses, and pay taxes. All very positive for society in general.

LeBrok, I don't know why, how and when you got to Canada.
But you should be aware of the kind of immigrants that get to Europe.
They are totally not like you. They only speak their native language and maybe some broken English, many of them are illiterate. They don't know much about the world and they are very narrowminded. Many of them are small criminals, they come to Europe because they were allready marginals in their country of origin. They get a Syrian pasport or make up whatever story they think European immigration officers will believe. And then there are a few who realy need shelter. But how can you identify these?

LeBrok:Especially in Eastern Europe where populations were very monolithic for some time and people are very uneasy and even scared around people of different culture or religion.

You obviously have no idea about Eastern Europe.What is Eastern Europe? Popultions? Monolithic? Scared?
You are totally ignorant.

I can't speak for LeBrok, but I can speak to my own experience. My father was in his late thirties when he came to this country, and he barely spoke a word of English and had barely enough money in his pocket to pay for a month's rent. Yet he became a highly successful businessman and his children hold advanced degrees from the country's best universities.

Or you might think about the even more extreme example of Marco Rubio, currently running for President of the United States, whose father arrived here as a refugee from Cuba, not speaking a word of English, and who had left school at the age of nine. He worked as a waiter and bartender all his wife, but he was able to buy his own home and his children were all able to go to college. One of them, as I said, is now running for the Presidency.

Could any of this happen in Europe? In my opinion, no, it couldn't. Tell me the European country where you could, as a new immigrant, go into a bank and get a loan to start a business with maybe just your small house as collateral. It doesn't exist. As for migrants, you're not even totally accepted if you're from another European country.

My position should be clear. I'm not in favor of unregulated immigration anywhere, and particularly not from this part of the world, or cradle to grave welfare whether for immigrants or the native born, and I have no doubt that I am more conservative in terms of law and order than the vast majority of Europeans, but the European social structure is partly to blame for the situation in which it finds itself with regards to migrants of long standing and particularly second generation people. Europe's tribalism and its rigid social divisions are, in my opinion, an albatross around its neck which prevents it from unleashing the potential of its people.

@gyms

I wouldn't go throwing words like "ignorant" around if I were you. I guess it has escaped your attention that LeBrok is from Poland?

I can't speak for LeBrok, but I can speak to my own experience. My father was in his late thirties when he came to this country, and he barely spoke a word of English and had barely enough money in his pocket to pay for a month's rent. Yet he became a highly successful businessman and his children hold advanced degrees from the country's best universities.

Or you might think about the even more extreme example of Marco Rubio, currently running for President of the United States, whose father arrived here as a refugee from Cuba, not speaking a word of English, and who had left school at the age of nine. He worked as a waiter and bartender all his wife, but he was able to buy his own home and his children were all able to go to college. One of them, as I said, is now running for the Presidency.

Could any of this happen in Europe? In my opinion, no, it couldn't. Tell me the European country where you could, as a new immigrant, go into a bank and get a loan to start a business with maybe just your small house as collateral. It doesn't exist. As for migrants, you're not even totally accepted if you're from another European country.

My position should be clear. I'm not in favor of unregulated immigration anywhere, and particularly not from this part of the world, or cradle to grave welfare whether for immigrants or the native born, and I have no doubt that I am more conservative in terms of law and order than the vast majority of Europeans, but the European social structure is partly to blame for the situation in which it finds itself with regards to migrants of long standing and particularly second generation people. Europe's tribalism and its rigid social divisions are, in my opinion, an albatross around its neck which prevents it from unleashing the potential of its people.

@gyms

I wouldn't go throwing words like "ignorant" around if I were you. I guess it has escaped your attention that LeBrok is from Poland?

I agree with you. There is another big problem in Europe, and it has nothing to do with immigration, it is indeed the social structure. I don't however see any link with tribalism. It is socialism and IMO Europeans themselves are more victims of this system than immigrants.
The social security system in Europe takes large chunks of the national budgets. Taxes are high and private initiative isn't stimulated nor rewarded.
It is no coincidence that companies like google, yahoo or apple only exist in America, not in Europe.
And I would say the problem is bigger in western Europe than it is in eastern Europe.

Besides that, I'm convinced that the kind of immigrants that arrives in Europe certainly wouldn't make it in America either. On the contrary.

More's the pity.

More's the pity.

I can only say these countries have transformed completely after the fall of the Berlin wall and in a very positive way.

I agree with you. There is another big problem in Europe, and it has nothing to do with immigration, it is indeed the social structure. I don't however see any link with tribalism. It is socialism and IMO Europeans themselves are more victims of this system than immigrants.
The social security system in Europe takes large chunks of the national budgets. Taxes are high and private initiative isn't stimulated nor rewarded.
It is no coincidence that companies like google, yahoo or apple only exist in America, not in Europe.
And I would say the problem is bigger in western Europe than it is in eastern Europe.

Besides that, I'm convinced that the kind of immigrants that arrives in Europe certainly wouldn't make it in America either. On the contrary.

You may be right about your last statement, but I don't think it has to do with poverty or education levels. There's something else going on. See the study below on Middle Eastern immigrants to the U.S.
http://cis.org/MiddleEasternImmigrantsProfile

Education levels are high, and yet a significant percentage are not succeeding here based on use of welfare and benefit programs. The authors of the study tried to see if it was refugees who were more frequently on benefits and that proved not to be the case, as removing them from the statistics did not close the gap.

I'm wondering whether religious differences could explain it, as a large percentage of our Middle Eastern immigrants have traditionally been Christians. Whether their religion leads to a resistance to assimilation on the part of Muslims, or more discrimination on the part of "natives" toward Muslims, or both, I don't know. I can just say anecdotally that I've never seem discrimination against Muslims on the part of "natives". I mean, even in San Bernardino, where it was totally unappreciated, the colleagues of the male gunman had thrown him and his wife a huge baby shower, often asked him out for social occasions etc..

"Figure 2 shows that in contrast to immigrants in general, those from the Middle East tend to be more educated than natives. While a very large share of immigrants overall are high school dropouts, those from the Middle East are only slightly more likely to be dropouts than natives. At the higher end of the education distribution, almost 49 percent of Middle Eastern immigrants have at least a bachelor's degree compared to only 28 percent of natives; "

"While it is not possible to definitively identify refugees and asylees in the data, if we exclude the three primary refugee-sending countries of Afghanistan, Iraq, and Sudan, we still find that poverty and welfare use remain significantly higher than natives. In 2000, excluding these countries, 18.4 percent of Middle Eastern immigrants and their U.S.-born children lived in poverty, indicating that poverty is at least as high among the non-refugee population as among refugees.

If we exclude the refugees we find that 21.4 percent of households headed by non-refugees from the region used welfare.15 Thus, the high rates of poverty and welfare use do not seem to be the result of those allowed into the country for humanitarian reasons. Overall, Table 5 presents a mixed picture of the socio-economic status of Middle Eastern immigrants. While most Middle Eastern immigrants seem to have integrated economically into their new country, a significant share are not doing as well and are finding it difficult to succeed in America."

Regardless of the answer to that question, I think it's undeniable that even with the bottom tier of these immigrants we have a better success rate in terms of assimilation. I quite understand why there might be a reluctance on the part of Europeans to admit that, but in my opinion it's true nonetheless.

They also conclude with the following:

"The successful integration of Middle Eastern immigrants into American society can only be partly measured by a study such as this, which only examines socio-demographic variables such as education or income or welfare use. Assimilation and incorporation is, of course, much more than holding a job, buying a house, or driving on the right side of the road. In terms of economic status, these immigrants tend to be well-educated with median incomes at least as high as those of natives. The findings also show that high rates of poverty and welfare use are common among the Middle Eastern immigrant population.

But on the question of what one scholar has described as "patriotic assimilation," this report is entirely silent. Do these immigrants and their children view themselves as Americans first and Pakistanis, Iranians, and Egyptians second? Are Middle Eastern immigrants or immigrants in general coming to see America's history as their history? We cannot say from these data. Moreover, assimilation is a two-way street. Do native-born Americans view Middle Easterners as their fellow countrymen? Although these questions are as important as the questions explored in this study, Census Bureau data do not provide answers to them. Despite its limitations, the analysis found in this Backgrounder is intended to inform discussion about this growing segment of immigration to the United States."

As for the other subject under discussion, tribalism is one issue; the rigid social structure and the socialistic values and economic structure common in Europe which affects "native" people is another. It's a double whammy. The bottom line is that whole segments of the society, instead of contributing, are just taking.

@gyms,
Whatever else you may wish to accuse him of, lack of knowledge of eastern Europe can't be one of them.

LeBrok:Especially in Eastern Europe where populations were very monolithic for some time and people are very uneasy and even scared around people of different culture or religion.

https://www.questia.com/library/his...astern-european-history/east-european-history

Europe was first divided into east and west during the time of the Roman Republic. As the dominion of Rome began to expand, it became apparent that there were differences in language and culture between the people in the eastern provinces and those of the western territories. The eastern provinces were populated in the main by those who spoke Greek and had adopted the Hellenistic lifestyle. The western territories were populated by those who spoke Latin.

http://academic.shu.edu/orientalia/mirees/payton-religion-historiography.pdf

@gyms

I couldn't agree more on all statements.

You obviously have no idea about Eastern Europe.What is Eastern Europe? Popultions? Monolithic? Scared?
You are totally ignorant.

Oh, you reacted to the critique of Eastern Europe. It assures me that you are, at least partially, emigrant or son of emigrant from Easter Europe. Don't be ashamed, tell us which country.

This thread has been viewed 5741 times.

Back