Kosovo minorities are possibly largely of Albanian origin Y-DNA study finds

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Bosniak DNA project there is a small sample size of Torbesh/Gorani who are selfreportedly from southern 🇽🇰 They are a tiny originally Bulgarian speaking minority. Not many deep clades determined as they've mostly done commercial DNA tests.

Torbesh/Gorani (n=17)Y-DNA
E1b-V13 (n=4)
AdemiE1b-V13
AbdijevićE1b-V13
MuratiE1b-V13
IsakiE1b-V13>Z1057>CTS1273>BY3880>Z5018>Y145455>BY191636>BY189808
J2a-L70 (n=2)
HalitiJ2a-L70>Z423>Z435>Z2148>CTS3601>PF5456
EjupiJ2a-L70>Z423>Z435
J2a-M67 (n=1)
ČokoJ2a-M67
J2b-L283 (n=3)
FetaJ2b-L283>Z622>Z600>Z585>Z615>Z597>Z2507>Z638>Y21045>PH4679>Z38300>Y20899>PH1751
PelivaniJ2b-L283>Z622>Z600>Z585>Z615>Z597>Z2507>Z638>Y21045>PH4679>Z38300>Y20899>PH1751
TrkaljačJ2b-L283>Z622>Z600>Z585>Z615>Z597>Z2507>Z638>Z1297>Z1295>Z8421>Z631
R1b-Z2103 (n=1)
AlidiniR1b-Z2103>BY611>Z2705
R1a-Z283 (n=1)
BraimiR1a-Z283>Z282>PF6155>M458>L260>YP256>YP254>Y2905>BY25698*
I2a-Y3120 (n=3)
HadžirašidovićI2a-Y3120
IhtimaniI2a-Y3120
BahšaniI2a-Y3120>S17250>PH908
I2a-M223>L701 (n=1)
ArifiI2a2-M223>L701>P78>S25733>A427
I2a-L160
(n=1)
HadžimehmediI2a-L160>PF4088>CTS1758>Y2177>Z105>Y4386>Z99>Z98>Z118/Z113

I think the Gorani show some Albanian affiliation too, these you posted definitely show Albanian origin, but they also have Slavic origin but some Albos definitely over there. I am not surprised by this, I see they even got J-L283-PH1751.

The video in the OP claims there are also lineages from the Roman period and later in these populations of Kosovo .

Kosovo Serbs come from many different areas, the ones from Montenigrin tribes show Albanian affiliation . The ones who came from Serbia proper maybe not. The ones who lived there from the medieval period or early Ottoman period I don't know, but assimilations couldn't of been that massive (Albanian into Serb) as that certainly does not explain why this territory is demographically dominated by Albanians or why we see an Albanian continuity from the 15th, 16th and even 17th century. Some Serbs became Albanians at one point and some Albanians became Serbs. Some Slavic lineages among Albanians could also be old. There are some Turkified people of Slavic origin too.
Yes yes people move arround yet they also leave cultural imprint.

My mother’s family - (I2 PH3414 Dinaric North) for example is mentioned in the 13th century - Dechani Chrysobulls.

My impression is that the Serbian project Poreklo does not deny the Albanian origin of some Serbian haplogroups. This is supported by traditional genealogy, as the Serbs also lived in tribes and the origin is remembered.
However I see a strong resistance by some Bulgarians to admit Albanian and even Macedonian origin in somebody. This is because of the random migration of small groups of people from the South West Balkans to Eastern Bulgaria and Thrace, which is largely forgotten.

Fl-h92fWQA8fJ3g

E-V13 (34%), R-M269 (24%), and J-L283 (18%) from the Paleo-Balkan era are found at high frequencies in Kosovo Albanians, making up over 75% of the Y-DNA gene pool. For Kosovo Serbs, their frequencies are reduced to 17%, 12%, and 1%, respectively. I-M253 and J-M410 are from the Roman era, while R-M417 and I-Y3120 are from the post-Roman period.

I think the Gorani show some Albanian affiliation too, these you posted definitely show Albanian origin, but they also have Slavic origin but some Albos definitely over there. I am not surprised by this, I see they even got J-L283-PH1751.

The video in the OP claims there are also lineages from the Roman period and later in these populations of Kosovo .
They definitely do. Yes, I noticed the J2b-L283>PH1751 too. Probably similar to Malësorë from Tregu i ri converted from Albanian Catholicism to Islam very late and somehow became Muslim Bulgarians.

Btw, how did those Albanians end up speaking Turkish and identifying as Turks today? I used to know two Turks from Macedonia but they looked like Albanians to me. How did that happen?

I don't think they are Albanians, it's like Roma minority but much less numerous, there is a sample on Rrenjet from Kosovo under this line (also 1 in Gjirokaster even though Albania doesn't have Turkish minority)

That variation of red taken to form the pie is a bad color pick, one can hardly distinguish the colors and Y-DNA split. Anyway, he is a bad copy-cat ninja of Derite aka AlbanianHistory. ;)

Interesting that Kosovo Serbs have 1% J2b2-L283, but that shouldn't be taken as literal source, perhaps the landscape changed much.

For Dardanians, we don't really know much, Dardanus, Darda as a name ironically appears far more frequently among Daco-Thracians and sometimes even among Indo-Iranians (which i think should stem from the same ancestral group within IE tree).

So, we will see how Dardani end up, on the Western Kosovo there is clear Glasinac-Mat Illyrian influence, but on the rest it's the Mediana (Channeled-Ware/Stamped-Ware) and Brnjica influence.

I think we also overlook Scordisci who might have carried quite a lot of E-V13 as well. Although they were Gauls/Celts, they were Eastern Celts and quite mixed with Balkan-Carpathian Urnfielder groups.

I don't think they are Albanians, it's like Roma minority but much less numerous, there is a sample on Rrenjet from Kosovo under this line (also 1 in Gjirokaster even though Albania doesn't have Turkish minority)

I have met a fair amount of Albanians and these guys have those typical Albanian faces and are very light-looking, yet they claim they are Turks and I have heard them speak Turkish. These are just my observations. I'm not claiming to know the actual background of these people.

I have met a fair amount of Albanians and these guys have those typical Albanian faces and are very light-looking, yet they claim they are Turks and I have heard them speak Turkish. These are just my observations. I'm not claiming to know the actual background of these people.

I think there are some Turks that are light looking, Turks are mixed/varied

Last edited:
That 45% mark is not accurate but not that far off either considering vast majority of Kosova Serbs are with origin from the tribal region of Montenegro (Brda) - implanted there by the Serbian kingdom after WW1. One can simply look at the serbian project and see that such families belong to tribes like Kuci, Bjelopavlici (Palbardhi), Vasojevici etc. Tribes with Albanian origin without any doubt.

Quite few families are under L241. They have some L241 diversity, but from what I remember vast majority should be under PH2180.

Regarding the Turks from Kosove, no doubt they are just Turkish speaking natives (mostly Albanian).

That 45% mark is not accurate but not that far off either considering vast majority of Kosova Serbs are with origin from the tribal region of Montenegro (Brda) - implanted there by the Serbian kingdom after WW1. One can simply look at the serbian project and see that such families belong to tribes like Kuci, Bjelopavlici (Palbardhi), Vasojevici etc. Tribes with Albanian origin without any doubt.

Quite few families are under L241. They have some L241 diversity, but from what I remember vast majority should be under PH2180.

Regarding the Turks from Kosove, no doubt they are just Turkish speaking natives (mostly Albanian).

Some of them also moved into Kosove during the Ottoman period in the 18th century, such as Vasojevic.

That variation of red taken to form the pie is a bad color pick, one can hardly distinguish the colors and Y-DNA split. Anyway, he is a bad copy-cat ninja of Derite aka AlbanianHistory. ;)

Interesting that Kosovo Serbs have 1% J2b2-L283, but that shouldn't be taken as literal source, perhaps the landscape changed much.

For Dardanians, we don't really know much, Dardanus, Darda as a name ironically appears far more frequently among Daco-Thracians and sometimes even among Indo-Iranians (which i think should stem from the same ancestral group within IE tree).

So, we will see how Dardani end up, on the Western Kosovo there is clear Glasinac-Mat Illyrian influence, but on the rest it's the Mediana (Channeled-Ware/Stamped-Ware) and Brnjica influence.

I think we also overlook Scordisci who might have carried quite a lot of E-V13 as well. Although they were Gauls/Celts, they were Eastern Celts and quite mixed with Balkan-Carpathian Urnfielder groups.

The Gorani do have some J-L283 interesting enough. I wonder if there are also any studies on Macedonians, they should have quite some Albanian input too , before the Ottoman period and even during the Ottoman period. There was definitely Albanians that became Slavs there.

The very rare on the Balkans M26/L148 among Gorani is interesting and may have also Roman origin. I see on the YFULL tree a Serbian from Kosovo and there is also a Bulgarian Z113 (tested with SNP pack), who claims origin from Bossilegrad area.

The Gorani do have some J-L283 interesting enough. I wonder if there are also any studies on Macedonians, they should have quite some Albanian input too , before the Ottoman period and even during the Ottoman period. There was definitely Albanians that became Slavs there.

Mijaks one of the ethnographic groups of Macedonians that ihnibits Reka region, one of the most westwards groups and is usually claimed by Albanians is one of the most Slavic ones and even the non-slavic input is not Albanian.

They are R1a-M458 (56.8%) and R1b-U106 (25%), the sample is low 44 people but all the families from the core - Galichnik were tested.

But i dont doubt there can be individuals like the PH1751 Gorani guy. Trifunovski notes individuals moving to villages of different ethnicity (due to blood oath, problems with the "law") ect and eventually assimilating.

Attachments

• mijaks.png
    mijaks.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 58
Mijaks one of the ethnographic groups of Macedonians that ihnibits Reka region, one of the most westwards groups and is usually claimed by Albanians is one of the most Slavic ones and even the non-slavic input is not Albanian.

They are R1a-M458 (56.8%) and R1b-U106 (25%), the sample is low 44 people but all the families from the core - Galichnik were tested.

But i dont doubt there can be individuals like the PH1751 Gorani guy. Trifunovski notes individuals moving to villages of different ethnicity (due to blood oath, problems with the "law") ect and eventually assimilating.
No, Macedonians and Gorani most definitely do have some Albanian input, just like the Serbs. R1b-U106 isn't native Balkan. Could of been brought from anywhere within the Balkans to that area too, just like the R1a or from outside the Balkans together with the R1a. It's not even common in general among Macedonians from what I know. Most of the Y-DNA you posted aren't associated with the ancient Balkans at all.

I wasn't talking about Mijaks but Macedonians in general. Not sure why it matters if it's supposedly one of the most westwards considering Albanians certainly weren't only located there during the medieval period as we have seen by plenty of evidence or why you specifically bring Mijaks up. And even Catholic families from Albania that moved to Macedonia later that became Slavs too for example. Gorani and Macedonians are by many classified as Bulgarians but Serbs like to claim them as Serbs but I haven't seen anything that supports they are Serbs.

Last edited:
And we are not talking about individuals here, those Gorani/Torbesh he posted have E-V13, J-L283 and R1b that seem associated with Albos.

A total of 314 individuals representing the three major ethno-linguistic groups (ethnic Macedonians, Albanians and Turks) in the Republic of North Macedonia were analyzed for Y-SNPs and Y-STRs using minisequencing and fragment analysis. The haplogroup composition differed remarkably between the three groups with dominance of haplogroup I2 in ethnic Macedonians (28.1%), E1b in Albanians (35.3%) and J2a (34.9%) in Turks, respectively. The haplotype analysis using the YFilerPlus kit disclosed a significant reduction in diversity values (DC, GD) for the Turkish subgroup compared to the Macedonian and Albanian speaking populations. The Y-STR based population analysis revealed a similarity of ethnic Macedonians with neighboring Serbians and Bulgarians. The same holds true for the Albanian speakers from Macedonia and Albania, whereas the Turkish minority in North Macedonia stands apart from the population in Turkey.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1872497319301097

The results of Macedonians are different from the Mijaks.

Anyway, I don't expect Slavs to of massively assimilated Albos, good reason why Dardania is demographically dominated by Albos, just look at even these register from 1571-1591 that shows it was inhabited also by Albos good part of it. Which rather shows there wasn't massive assimilation. The Y-DNA of Mijaks you posted most of them aren't native Balkan. Autosomal DNA can also be female mediated. My point was that some of the native Balkan Y-DNA or good part of it that seem associated with some South Slavs seem to have an Albanian origin or Aromanian. Those you posted aren't even Balkan to begin with.

Last edited:
Interesting also how you brought them up being supposedly the most westward groups when even Shkup / Skopje had an Albanian population in the 15th century for example:

In the cadastral register of 1451-52, the Skopje neighborhood Gjin-ko - (Gjinaj), is mentioned, being named after the medieval Albanian Gjini family. The neighbourhood displayed mixed Christian Albanian anthroponomy with cases of Slavicisation present (e.g Palić; Pal + Slavic suffix ).[102] During this time period, a number of timariotes of the city are recorded as bearing the name Arnauti (Albanian) alongside a Muslim name, i.e Hamza Arnauti, Shahin Arnauti, Jusuf Arnauti. Another group bore Christian/Slavic names, while also carrying bearing the surname Arbanas/Arnaut, i.e Bogdan Arbanas, Bogoslav Arbanas, Milosh Arbanas, Bozhidar Arnaut etc. These individuals are not noted as having the Slavic appellatives došlac, prišlac or uselica, which were given by Ottoman authorities to new settlers of a given region, likely indicating they were locals.[103] In the year 1451/53 a neighborhood was registered bearing an Aromanian name, Mahalle-i Todor Vlaja-Vlaha. Among the 45 family heads of this neighborhood , Christian-Slavic and Albanian anthroponyms were recorded (Gjon-çe, son of Noriç, Koljko Bibani, Tusho, son of Rada etc), while a sizeable number of individuals bearing mixed Slavic-Vlach anthroponyms are also registered, such as: Petko, son of Vllah (Iflak), Petru son of David, Andreja, kozhuhar, Nikul Çikun, etc.[104]

In the mahallah Ahrijan Hasan in the year 1451/53, a head of the family from noble Albanian Muzaka family, who had converted to Islam, was re-registered among the Muslim heads of the family. In the other register of 1467/68, now in the Christian mahallah named Svetko Samarxhi, among the 29 heads of families with Slavic Christian anthroponyms, a number also carry Albanian anthroponyms.[105] In the neighborhood of Jazixhi Shahin, among the residents with Muslim names, the head of the family was registered only with the surname Zenebishi, without mentioning his social position or his profession, indicating a higher social status. This may suggest a relation to Hasan Bey Zenebishi adescendant of the Zenebishi family and the Soubashi of the Nahiyah of Kalkandelen. Individuals bearing Albanian anthroponyms, be they in conjunction with Oriental/Islamic, Slavic or Christian ones, also appear in the neighbourhoods of Kasim Fakih, Dursun Saraç, Kujumxhi Mentesheli, Çerep, Jandro, Stanimir, Vllah Dançu and Rela.[104] A number of Sipahis were also of Albanian origin, with these individuals holding timars in areas which had a Christian Albanian symbiosis with Slavic anthroponyms in the vicinity of Skopje. The defters noted that these were old were old Sipahis, likely having been landowners. These individual Sipahis were closely related by descent and blood, and taking account kinship ties, even though they had heterogeneous, Christian, Slavic and Oriental names, they appear to have been Albanians. Some have names indicating their origin, such as Shimerd Vardarli from Skopje, making it likely these timariotes were locals.[106]

The 15th-century Mustafa Pasha Mosque
Around 1529, the Christians of Skopje were mostly non-converted Slavs and Albanians, but also Ragusan and Armenian tradesmen.[107]

Golloborda in Eastern Albania was also bilingual Bulgarian-Albanian speaking they got some I2a and R1a and other Albanian Y-DNA.

The Has-Prizren and Opoja region in Kosovo, next to the Gora region, in the 15th-16th century was largely inhabited by an Albanian population also for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Has_(region) , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opolje Gora region had majority Slavic names in the 15th century but even there Albo names appear. Gora region is still Slavic today. Some of those Albanian Y-DNA could be indeed people that moved there , most of their other Y-DNA are associated with Slavic groups just like the Mijaks . So where are supposedly these peoples Paleo-Balkan Y-DNA ? That was my point. So you agree many Balkan Slavs aren't that native Balkan shifted by Y-DNA to begin with. If there was supposedly a massive assimilation of natives should see good chunk of Paleo-Balkan Y-DNA but for many it doesn't seem to be the case at all, autosomal DNA can be acquired through females... Bulgarian expansion could of also brought some Y-DNA into the Central -Western Balkans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 6570 times.

Back